shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been meaning to post my ring here for a while and kept forgetting.. but here it is!

The color looks very different to me depending on the light, so I tried to incorporate a variety of different pictures... the ones on the left showing more warmth, I think.

icekidJSI1.JPG

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
I kind of wish I''d seen this before I bought a 1.63 I (though I''m still in my return period). I would have looked at J a little more. As I look now though, I''m not really seeing that I could have gotten anything that much bigger by dropping to J. Maybe for an anniversery down the line, she''ll get an upgrade.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Holy CANOLE! Those are Js??? Wow, they're gorgeous. I can't remember for sure, was that center stone handed down to you and you had it reset with the sides? I will definitely rethink my idea that step cuts need to be icy white. I'm really liking that tiny hint of color in these.

wgl.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t think i could post here because of white gold setting...but then I read the thread is for white metals...yay!!

Thanks again to jelly for helping me to resize!!

PS7.jpg

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
Somebody stop me!!

Check out that arrow shinin'' in that 3rd pic...purrrr

PS8.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the new additions are yummy!! I have a sneaky suspicion that there are more J''s in white metal out there... anyone? It''s amazing to me just how the well-cut J''s have really taken off this year!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I can say is wow, got to love a well cut J, keep''em coming!!!

hearts set

Shiny_Rock
OOPS

Just noticed that Mara already posted my ring....hope you girls don''t mind the hearts set overkill!!

Did I mention???....I love my ring

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2005 6:05:58 PM
Author: hearts set
OOPS

Just noticed that Mara already posted my ring....hope you girls don''t mind the hearts set overkill!!

Did I mention???....I love my ring
Overkill...no such thing. Your ring is divine.
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamond ring overkill? NEVER!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I should be picking up my newly upgraded ring on Friday or Saturday! It will be a 1.54 J Radiant....It looked good next to my .74 F Princess I was trading, but I will take lots of pics when I get it! Can''t wait!!

Any opinions on that color in a radiant? I have read the threads I could find, but am still curious.. Please be honest, it wont hurt my feelings. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it sounds like it will be great...can''t wait to see pictures!

robinow

Rough_Rock
Here is my 1.83 GIA "J" / VS1 Square Cut Emerald (Asscher) set in platinum. The stone faces up very white, but in broad daylight looks a little yellow...especially from the side. I absolutely love the stone and budget was a big part of my decision to go with a J, but I do prefer a whiter stone.

IMG_1276.JPG

robinow

Rough_Rock
One more photo...

IMG_1279.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice asscher robinow. I told you before, but wanted to say it agian. It's gorgeous, love the setting too.
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 8:17:08 PM
Author: robinow
Here is my 1.83 GIA ''J'' / VS1 Square Cut Emerald (Asscher) set in platinum. The stone faces up very white, but in broad daylight looks a little yellow...especially from the side. I absolutely love the stone and budget was a big part of my decision to go with a J, but I do prefer a whiter stone.

GORGEOUS stone! Very "rich" looking... I LOVE it! When you say it shows a little color in certain lighting situations, do you really mean "yellow" -- or just a little warmth/creaminess? Thanks!

Lynn

robinow

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 8:24:32 PM
Author: kaleigh
Nice asscher robinow. I told you before, but wanted to say it agian. It''s gorgeous, love the setting too.
30.gif

Thanks Kaleigh! I''ve been hearing a lot about your ring and just tracked down the photos..it is absolutely spectacular! Having a lot of fun on these forums
30.gif

robinow

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 8:50:06 PM
Author: Lynn B

Here is my 1.83 GIA ''J'' / VS1 Square Cut Emerald (Asscher) set in platinum. The stone faces up very white, but in broad daylight looks a little yellow...especially from the side. I absolutely love the stone and budget was a big part of my decision to go with a J, but I do prefer a whiter stone.

GORGEOUS stone! Very ''rich'' looking... I LOVE it! When you say it shows a little color in certain lighting situations, do you really mean ''yellow'' -- or just a little warmth/creaminess? Thanks!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Wish I could get a photo of my ring that is more true-to-life. Right now I''m sitting in my home office with halogen spot lights and the stone looks "warm." When I am in the car (stopped at a light
2.gif
) I notice more of a tint. It''s not a true yellow...just a hint of color. I am not an expert on color and maybe I am just obsessed with my new ring, but I do notice a bit of color from time-to-time. Creaminess is probably a good description. Other times the stone looks quite white. It''s all personal preference...

Best,
Wendy

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Robinow, your asscher is beautiful!!! I love the setting too!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minte, you were choosing between I and J...

(for the record, the stone in the ring is the on on top in this picture)

IMG_0107.JPG

Was the other sensibly less ''colored'' ?

It also looks brighter in the picture, so that might have been a factor, but it is impossible for me to tell from pictures. Just curious.

robinow

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/5/2005 12:12:28 AM
Author: valeria101

Wait a minte, you were choosing between I and J...

(for the record, the stone in the ring is the on on top in this picture)

IMG_0107.JPG

Was the other sensibly less ''colored'' ?

It also looks brighter in the picture, so that might have been a factor, but it is impossible for me to tell from pictures. Just curious.

The stone in the bottom of the photo was one that the jeweler had on hand and used for comparison purposes only. We ruled it out since it was an EGL I/J and looked quite yellow in person. It''s funny that it looks so colorless in the photo. It was also not cut as well.

The GIA "I" that I was interested in was from a different jeweler and I was not able to get a photo of it or compare it side-by-side to the stone I ultimately chose. That stone was quite a bit larger, but too shallow and too many inclusions. It was graded SI2, but the jeweler and the cutter he got it from believe it was mis-graded and should have been an SI1. I just had some reservations about that stone and opted for the J/VS1. We were looking for a stone for quite a while and could not find one with a higher color that fit our budget and size specifications. Plus the jeweler I purchased the stone from was awesome and dropped the price of the stone considerably which made the decision much easier
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2005 12:02:27 PM

The GIA ''I'' that I was interested in was ... quite a bit larger, but too shallow and too many inclusions.

It was graded SI2, but the jeweler and the cutter he got it from believe it was mis-graded and should have been an SI1.
O I see... glaring inclusions sound like more than enough to make the difference
7.gif
whatever they call the grade.

Congrats for the gorgeous ring, btw!
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Here is my K in a WG setting from WF.

wfkpendentinboxkls.JPG

cheetahman

Rough_Rock
This is my first attempt at taking a picture of my ring, but it doesn''t look nearly this yellow with an eye or even a loop. It might be the flash or lighting or something like that. Anyway, this is an EGL I or my appraiser called an "I minus", so it may be what many would call a "J" in platnum. I don''t really know why I''m posting something that doesn''t really look accurate, but I have it and it basically qualifies, so there it is.

myRing0182.JPG

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I know I recently posted this in a separate thread, but I thought it should join the J thread too! Hope you guys aren''t sick of seeing the same pics yet!!

It is a 1.53 J SI2 Radiant cut with 12 princess side stones and matching w-band. I am very happy with it (if you didn''t know that already!!)
emteeth.gif

ah.jpg

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Do any of you with J colored center stones who wear them either in a setting or right next to a band that has F-G-H colored stones notice a contrast in person? In some of the pics of the stones on shared prong bands, or the stones in halo settings, or solitaires next to eternity bands, etc, I picked up on a slight difference between the center and the other stones that I''m concerned might bother me in person. I''m just wondering if anyone can chime in with their experience - on your ring, is the in person discrepancy more or less noticeable than it is photos? Does it ever bother you?

My boyfriend and I have our eye on a J color stone now, even though I went shopping in person and feel that I''m somewhat color sensitive and prefer higher color stones. The price difference is just too much for my interest not to be seriously piqued! I don''t know that just a J colored stone on its own would bother me, but I do want a setting and/or band with small stones, and I know that it wouldn''t be easy to fine a high quality setting or band that used I-J colored stones, right?

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 5:01:52 PM
Author: katrina_33
Do any of you with J colored center stones who wear them either in a setting or right next to a band that has F-G-H colored stones notice a contrast in person? In some of the pics of the stones on shared prong bands, or the stones in halo settings, or solitaires next to eternity bands, etc, I picked up on a slight difference between the center and the other stones that I''m concerned might bother me in person. I''m just wondering if anyone can chime in with their experience - on your ring, is the in person discrepancy more or less noticeable than it is photos? Does it ever bother you?

My boyfriend and I have our eye on a J color stone now, even though I went shopping in person and feel that I''m somewhat color sensitive and prefer higher color stones. The price difference is just too much for my interest not to be seriously piqued! I don''t know that just a J colored stone on its own would bother me, but I do want a setting and/or band with small stones, and I know that it wouldn''t be easy to fine a high quality setting or band that used I-J colored stones, right?
I have an eternity band with F-G colored stones and next to my J, it is noticable, but only slightly under most conditions; in some lighting conditions (i.e. daylight in my house) it isn''t as noticable. I like the difference, but I would not go lower than a J as I think more warmth would bother me. I think it is more noticable in the photos because it is a still shot. In reality, you''re moving your hands around and the diamonds throw off all different colors. Does that make sense?

I have never had anyone look at my rings and ask if the stones are different colors. Most of the time all you see is the sparkle.
2.gif

If you are color sensitive then just *knowing* there is a difference may be enough to bother you. You may want to consider settings with G-H colored stones as I don''t think the difference will be as obvious.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

katrina- I can see a difference in color between my melee and my J center stone. I don''t remember what color my melee are- whatever whiteflash''s ACA are, but definitely much higher than J. That said, it''s not something that jumps out at you if you just look at the ring. But it is something that I can see since I spend lots of time looking at my ring during lecture

9.gif

I think I am pretty color sensitive though. The decision on the J was purely on budget, and though I love my stone and it can be very white, it isn''t always and when I get another ring it will be a higher color. I still love love love my stone though. I guess you will eventually figure out what you are comfortable with

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results