shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this really a beautiful diamond!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that from what I have read, I fear that the stone will have a dark center like the diamond in this video—bc it has the exact crown and Pavillion angles. Then I also dislike that it faces up small for its size—it doesn’t come near looking like a 3 carat. Finally, I Wonder if the E color will be drowned out and look dark bc of the steep crown. 237CE653-BF31-4DE8-AEEB-FD60F0A2AB23.png

I have a diamond that falls just outside of the super ideal specs (TIC). Mine is 35/41 with a depth of 62.2. It was even an AGS000 and in many lighting situations it is amazing. Unfortunately many times a day I look at it and see the dark center and it really bothers me. Will buying a diamond within the tight parameters we see at HPD, ACA and BGD make my diamond look perfect in every lighting? I’m not sure, but I will never buy a steep deep diamond again. Just my 2 cents. Your jeweler knows what your looking for. If he wants to sell you a diamond he can go out of his way to get one that you’re interested in buying.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But at the end of the day, we are all cheering for each other to be happy with jewelry purchases in a way that most people we know in our daily lives wouldn't understand or even approve of.

This is so true!! I can't think of another online discussion group where members of "opposing" viewpoints put all that aside and congratulate the person who just got a sparkly- no matter what they think of it. Overall, this is a super supportive group.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I was thinking as I read through the thread that the diamond is worth seeing. But there is an easy solution to allow you to see it and potentially return it if you don't like it without causing financial harm to your jeweler. Plus I just think it's fair since upgrades usually only apply to in-house stones. I'd offer to pay the shipping for the stone both ways if you decide not to keep it. On the other hand, we may be able to find pricing on that stone if you can give us the GIA number and we can see if he is padding the price.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my doctor- who had to prescribe some pills for me.
"You're NOT allowed to "learn" about this medication online... got it?" I followed her orders.

Pricescope is such a double-edged sword in that regard.
There's so much great info and advice given every day.
And at the same time, some of the most vocal participants, rightly have very strong preferences.
These preferences, over time, color discussions.
Still- I do feel this forum is an overall positive for consumer education.
But nala's statement is part of what always bothered me.
If a person feels like they need someone else to tell them which diamond is more beautiful, haven't we completely missed the point?

Nala- trust your eyes.
Some of the aspects of cut described here as crucial are far less crucial when considered as part of the purchase as a whole.
You might not be able to see some of the subtle differences others can see- but in my opinion, you can use that to your advantage.
I always ask pointed questions when recommending what sort of stone to look at.
A 21-year-old can easily spot SI sized imperfections that a 51-year-old could not see.
If someone prefers a non super ideal based onhow it looks- and many people do-0 they can save money, or get a larger stone for the money and give up nothing.
Relax- have fun with this!!

Thank you so much for this, @Rockdiamond !!! My stone is not super ideal by any means, and the HCA score is not good, and sometimes when I read this forum I feel... like I could have done better?? But most of the time I am in love with my stone, and feel like we paid a great price for a diamond that faces up whiter than its color, sparkles and flashes a lot, and looks big for its weight!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been summoned here.
Your jeweller wont get or give you ASEt or ideal-scope images. You are fretting.

Simple, buy an Ideal-scope for $25 plus $11 shipping if you are in USA.
(declaration - i make and sell them).

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been summoned here.
Your jeweller wont get or give you ASEt or ideal-scope images. You are fretting.

Simple, buy an Ideal-scope for $25 plus $11 shipping if you are in USA.
(declaration - i make and sell them).

Thanks! I already own one!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, I was thinking as I read through the thread that the diamond is worth seeing. But there is an easy solution to allow you to see it and potentially return it if you don't like it without causing financial harm to your jeweler. Plus I just think it's fair since upgrades usually only apply to in-house stones. I'd offer to pay the shipping for the stone both ways if you decide not to keep it. On the other hand, we may be able to find pricing on that stone if you can give us the GIA number and we can see if he is padding the price.

I didn’t want to put that info out there until I know for sure he has secured it! He texted me that he is going to source it, so hopefully he is able to. I did do my own search and it didn’t come up under any vendors here on PS. But it came up in a general website called stonealgo and the fair price for it lists the diamond for is 4000 more than he quoted me! So all is well in that department. Thank you!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t want to put that info out there until I know for sure he has secured it! He texted me that he is going to source it, so hopefully he is able to. I did do my own search and it didn’t come up under any vendors here on PS. But it came up in a general website called stonealgo and the fair price for it lists the diamond for is 4000 more than he quoted me! So all is well in that department. Thank you!

That's highly encouraging! Good luck with this, @nala - I'm following with interest! :wavey:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to vent. I texted my jeweler today for an update.
Him: I lost my phone all the info. What stone are you talking about?
me: the 2.9 E Si1 we discussed
Him: sorry. Send me a pic of the certificate
Me: so you forgot what we agreed on?
him: we ordered it. I wanted to confirm that it was the correct one.

Am I right to be concerned?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2.88 has similar cut specs with the exception of the PA... I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it because it doesn’t conform with the recommended norm. I still drool everyday over my stone’s tall crown.

Can your jeweler give you any imaging - ASET/IS to help with your assessment?

Threadjack: I just saw the ring in your avatar, @stonewell. I love it. Is there a thread on it on Pricescope? If so, would you, please, post a link? I'd like to read about it.

stonewellsring.jpg

Deb/AGBF

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@nala How could he forget the offer? That’s not a small diamond. That’s a crazy conversation. I would be concerned about that exchange.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, if it were me and my jeweller said that (and was vague) and didn’t answer my questions. It would raise red flags for me, (that is my nature though).

Hope he has ordered the stone for you. Also, did he give you an ETA on the expected due day?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if it were me and my jeweller said that (and was vague) and didn’t answer my questions. It would raise red flags for me, (that is my nature though).

Hope he has ordered the stone for you.

Ugh.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would just let it play out. Give him a minute. People forget. Especially if he lost his records because it was by text.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all.

He has how many stones in inventory... And how many other customers who also have needs in the works... He remembered that they pulled one for you. That he doesn't remember the details doesn't concern me in the slightest, no need to worry! Just get him the info he needs to verify it rather than making him dig through his own probably-overflowing inbox.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so he remembers that you were under no obligation to purchase. However, realistically, how many diamonds has he ordered in this week? Too many to remember? I am just a stickler for things like that but let’s just hope that it all works out in the end!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so he remembers that you were under no obligation to purchase. However, realistically, how many diamonds has he ordered in this week? Too many to remember? I am just a stickler for things like that but let’s just hope that it all works out in the end!

Lol! This! I have my texts just in case he forgets that I’m under no obligation to purchase!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all.

He has how many stones in inventory... And how many other customers who also have needs in the works... He remembered that they pulled one for you. That he doesn't remember the details doesn't concern me in the slightest, no need to worry! Just get him the info he needs to verify it rather than making him dig through his own probably-overflowing inbox.

Done! Thanks! He just replied that he did in fact order it. Phew!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right!!! I know he is super busy moving right now, but wth!

Okay, I was more worried until you said he is busy moving. That explains a lot!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hate to stress anyone......but the whole deal, since I read the first post raises questions. Nala- I’m sorry, but my NYC skepticism is high.
Trades are not necessarily profitable for dealers. Compelling the buyer to spend double does improve the dealers position a bit, from a profitability standpoint. And he’s not even enforcing that. How is he going to make any money?Not that his profit is your concern- but it raises red flags. Why would a dealer do this if not to make a profit?

Diamonds located in the USA don’t take 8-10 days to obtain. So let’s asssume the Diamond is in India. Unless he’s a massive dealer ( a la BN or JA) or he’s very close with the Indian firm, getting the stone might not be easy. Returning it might also be difficult costly or impossible for the dealer. Let’s give the jeweler the chance ......but please temper your expectations.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to stress anyone......but the whole deal, since I read the first post raises questions. Nala- I’m sorry, but my NYC skepticism is high.
Trades are not necessarily profitable for dealers. Compelling the buyer to spend double does improve the dealers position a bit, from a profitability standpoint. And he’s not even enforcing that. How is he going to make any money?Not that his profit is your concern- but it raises red flags. Why would a dealer do this if not to make a profit?

Diamonds located in the USA don’t take 8-10 days to obtain. So let’s asssume the Diamond is in India. Unless he’s a massive dealer ( a la BN or JA) or he’s very close with the Indian firm, getting the stone might not be easy. Returning it might also be difficult costly or impossible for the dealer. Let’s give the jeweler the chance ......but please temper your expectations.

Thanks. I do appreciate the insight. And will do...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks. I do appreciate the insight. And will do...
My latest shipment from India took 2 weeks and went via China, Memphis, Honalulu, sydney and finaly melbourne.
A sapphire shipment has been sitting at Columbo Sri Lanka customs for 1 week

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow Garry- circuitous route!
Getting a stone from Mumbai India to NYC generally a few days.
Do stones coming from NY take as long to get to you?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow Garry- circuitous route!
Getting a stone from Mumbai India to NYC generally a few days.
Do stones coming from NY take as long to get to you?
Why buy a NY stone - when they move from Mumbai to anywhere else the price rises by a few %

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why buy a NY stone - when they move from Mumbai to anywhere else the price rises by a few %
I would not count NY out just yet. While I agree that many categories purchased directly from Mumbai are a few points cheaper than NYC, there are NY dealers who can and compete...and also that certain specialty stones just aren’t being cut in India.
Lucky for us in NYC there’s very large Indian firms with a strong: presence in NY which allows me to avoid having to do the importing myself.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I would not count NY out just yet. While I agree that many categories purchased directly from Mumbai are a few points cheaper than NYC, there are NY dealers who can and compete...and also that certain specialty stones just aren’t being cut in India.
Lucky for us in NYC there’s very large Indian firms with a strong: presence in NY which allows me to avoid having to do the importing myself.

What about stones in Belgium? Hard to get?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results