shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this really a beautiful diamond!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nala, please leave your original e-ring at home when you go in and look at diamond! You can ask your jeweler that you want a day or two to think about it. But if you wear your e-ring, you may be easily swayed and do the trade-in right then and there! So I would have you go in to look without it on...take lots of pictures and videos so you can compare later with your e-ring at home.

-C4C

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, please leave your original e-ring at home when you go in and look at diamond! You can ask your jeweler that you want a day or two to think about it. But if you wear your e-ring, you may be easily swayed and do the trade-in right then and there! So I would have you go in to look without it on...take lots of pictures and videos so you can compare later with your e-ring at home.

-C4C

Thanks for the tip! We will see if he can even source it! I’ll keep everyone posted.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

-C4C

Respectfully, I disagree with this suggestion.

I’m assuming @nala approves of the clarity (based on video & cert), as well as the color & size, so performance/cut are what is primarily left to assess & decide. And comparing a video taken in one light setting/environment to a diamond in a different environment/setting isn’t really a true comparison.

With both diamonds on hand, she‘ll be able to determine whether she can see/appreciate the cut & performance difference between a 1.6 HCA vs. 3.X or not. Also, she’d be able to compare any impact the MBF may have and if it is acceptable.

That said, make sure you can assess both in as many light settings as possible ... not just under the fancy lights. Take it outside, in a corner away from artificial light, heck - take a small lamp with a household bulb along. You have a relationship with this jeweler so I’m sure he’ll accommodate you to ensure you are happy. Good luck; hope it’s the one!:wavey:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Respectfully, I disagree with this suggestion.

I’m assuming @nala approves of the clarity (based on video & cert), as well as the color & size, so performance/cut are what is primarily left to assess & decide. And comparing a video taken in one light setting/environment to a diamond in a different environment/setting isn’t really a true comparison.

With both diamonds on hand, she‘ll be able to determine whether she can see/appreciate the cut & performance difference between a 1.6 HCA vs. 3.X or not. Also, she’d be able to compare any impact the MBF may have and if it is acceptable.

That said, make sure you can assess both in as many light settings as possible ... not just under the fancy lights. Take it outside, in a corner away from artificial light, heck - take a small lamp with a household bulb along. You have a relationship with this jeweler so I’m sure he’ll accommodate you to ensure you are happy. Good luck; hope it’s the one!:wavey:

I agree with this. Wear your current stone and use it to judge the larger stone's performance. I think it's definitely worth a look, but then I have the unpopular idea that here at PS we have the potential to get bogged down on the details/minutiae of diamonds. You don't have to buy it, so go take a look.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus since you have been using him for quite some time, he likely has a good idea of how discerning you are and wouldn’t waste either your time or his to bring in a subpar diamond.
I say see it with your stone for comparison.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plus since you have been using him for quite some time, he likely has a good idea of how discerning you are and wouldn’t waste either your time or his to bring in a subpar diamond.
I say see it with your stone for comparison.

I wish! He doesn’t even know what an ASET is and insists all Gia triple excellents are top performing! So tbh, I asked him if he could put the stone on hold until next Friday and he said no. So I felt very pressured and didn’t tell him to source it. I’m going to mull it over this weekend before I decide.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with this. Wear your current stone and use it to judge the larger stone's performance. I think it's definitely worth a look, but then I have the unpopular idea that here at PS we have the potential to get bogged down on the details/minutiae of diamonds. You don't have to buy it, so go take a look.

This. I think i drank the Kool-aid and I don’t know if the damage is permanent! What if I find myself dissatisfied bc it’s not ideal cut? I don’t think I’ll be able to swallow the damage if that is the case. I also don’t want to put him out if I know that I’m already leaning towards no.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. I think i drank the Kool-aid and I don’t know if the damage is permanent! What if I find myself dissatisfied bc it’s not ideal cut? I don’t think I’ll be able to swallow the damage if that is the case. I also don’t want to put him out if I know that I’m already leaning towards no.

Why are you leaning towards a no? Just because of the HCA score? @nala I mean it when I say that that diamond is stunning. I personally prefer it over your existing, especially if the upgrade amount is reasonable. But it’s your decision in the end. I think that you are looking too much into the idea of an “ideal cut”. Not only “super-ideal” diamonds are beautiful.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you leaning towards a no? Just because of the HCA score? @nala I mean it when I say that that diamond is stunning. I personally prefer it over your existing, especially if the upgrade amount is reasonable. But it’s your decision in the end. I think that you are looking too much into the idea of an “ideal cut”. Not only “super-ideal” diamonds are beautiful.

I guess that from what I have read, I fear that the stone will have a dark center like the diamond in this video—bc it has the exact crown and Pavillion angles. Then I also dislike that it faces up small for its size—it doesn’t come near looking like a 3 carat. Finally, I Wonder if the E color will be drowned out and look dark bc of the steep crown. 237CE653-BF31-4DE8-AEEB-FD60F0A2AB23.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super ideal cut diamonds are real on paper, in the flesh and sometimes most importantly, in the mind. Only you can determine if that is one of the most important attributes to you. I think one of the key things you are saying is that you can’t see a way out of it if it doesn’t work for you. It is an important point at that size and price point and you are wise to mull that over.
On the other hand, your upgrade options are limited unless you want to try to sell your stone outright and start again. You would most probably take a loss depending on what you paid for your current diamond.
So if I am understanding correctly, he will bring it in for you to see with absolutely no obligation to buy on your part. That leaves your concern of wasting his time or feeling bad that he will now be stuck with it in his inventory. He is willing to take the chance I guess so maybe you should too? However, if the negatives that you can foresee outweigh the good vibes you get about it, then maybe not.
I know this isn’t being helpful but hopefully it lays out the terms in a straightforward way rather than leaving you spinning on the same dime. I have learned over time to really try to listen to what my gut instinct tells me - good or bad, yay or nay. Try listening to yours to find the right choice for yourself! I am with you either way!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super ideal cut diamonds are real on paper, in the flesh and sometimes most importantly, in the mind. Only you can determine if that is one of the most important attributes to you. I think one of the key things you are saying is that you can’t see a way out of it if it doesn’t work for you. It is an important point at that size and price point and you are wise to mull that over.
On the other hand, your upgrade options are limited unless you want to try to sell your stone outright and start again. You would most probably take a loss depending on what you paid for your current diamond.
So if I am understanding correctly, he will bring it in for you to see with absolutely no obligation to buy on your part. That leaves your concern of wasting his time or feeling bad that he will now be stuck with it in his inventory. He is willing to take the chance I guess so maybe you should too? However, if the negatives that you can foresee outweigh the good vibes you get about it, then maybe not.
I know this isn’t being helpful but hopefully it lays out the terms in a straightforward way rather than leaving you spinning on the same dime. I have learned over time to really try to listen to what my gut instinct tells me - good or bad, yay or nay. Try listening to yours to find the right choice for yourself! I am with you either way!

Yes to all of this. I guess that in the best case scenario, I’m going to dive in and come home with the stone due to the novelty and the “opportunity” of this upgrade. I don’t trust myself enough to walk away because I think it will be a good enough diamond to bring home and then the second guessing will begin. On the other hand, all my findings in the post above, make me feel like it would be irresponsible to ask my jeweler to source the stone. He ignored my request for an ASET while still encountering this stone— so maybe I shouldn’t feel responsible? But I can’t help it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to all of this. I guess that in the best case scenario, I’m going to dive in and come home with the stone due to the novelty and the “opportunity” of this upgrade. I don’t trust myself enough to walk away because I think it will be a good enough diamond to bring home and then the second guessing will begin. On the other hand, all my findings in the post above, make me feel like it would be irresponsible to ask my jeweler to source the stone. He ignored my request for an ASET while still encountering this stone— so maybe I shouldn’t feel responsible? But I can’t help it.
No one likes to waste anyone’s time or to have them put out money on their behalf. You are correct, however, in thinking that to back up his claim of an excellent cut diamond that someone between him and the stone could provide some images. Perhaps they don’t have the means to do it but when dealing with educated consumers, they are going to have to come up to speed on some level. I guess that is neither here nor there in this instance - if he can’t or won’t then there is no point discussing it.
I am sorry this is proving to be such a hard decision. Hopefully others will chime in with more thoughts that might help clarify it all for you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yessi
I guess that from what I have read, I fear that the stone will have a dark center like the diamond in this video—bc it has the exact crown and Pavillion angles. Then I also dislike that it faces up small for its size—it doesn’t come near looking like a 3 carat. Finally, I Wonder if the E color will be drowned out and look dark bc of the steep crown. 237CE653-BF31-4DE8-AEEB-FD60F0A2AB23.png

@SimoneDi, @yssie, @Karl_K, @Rockdiamond, @flyingpig , @Garry H (Cut Nut) and all diamond experts—
Are my concerns valid? Will this stone look like this?

Attachments

• 17CB7AB0-4A11-46F4-8F98-1B3C84E54300.png
    17CB7AB0-4A11-46F4-8F98-1B3C84E54300.png
    326.4 KB · Views: 15

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Geee.....a place that promotes Super Ideal Diamonds has a demonstration video showing how much better their stones are.
I'm sure it's completely a neutral test......NOT

This is like an ad where Chevy shows how much better their car is than a Ford. And of course, Ford has its own ad showing the opposite.....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yessi

@SimoneDi, @yssie, @Karl_K, @Rockdiamond, @flyingpig , @Garry H (Cut Nut) and all diamond experts—
Are my concerns valid? Will this stone look like this?

We already know that the stone is bright face-up - we can see that in your video :)) if it was going to be flat or dark under the table IRL, we wouldn’t see faceting and pattern of light/dark (which translates into scintillation in motion) under the table in the video. Agree with @SimoneDi - the video is what makes me confident this will be a bright and beautiful stone in-person! And the very high colour helps with apparent size - it’ll look bigger than a low-coloured stone with exactly the same diameter.

It clearly doesn’t have excellent optical symmetry - you can see the variations face-up - so you know this stone won’t show hearts and arrows worth writing home about. A stone doesn’t need H&A to be lively and colourful, but @MissGotRocks makes a good point about mind-clean. I will say that IMO this stone looks like the best that you could expect a non-boutique operation to source - and if it’s eyeclean to requirements I would happily recommend it to friends. Honestly whether or not it’s eyeclean is my biggest question right now, not cut.

3B56DDB4-06A6-499F-A932-EAB2BDB487C9.png

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not watch JannPaul videos for education.
They carefully manipulate the lighting conditions and strategically select diamonds to over-exaggerate differences and showcase theirs products.
Their products look amazing and what they say in the video is not false. But, treat their videos as infomercials.
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But, treat their videos as infomercials.
Very perceptive and true.
Unfortunately, pretty much all "educational" videos that are posted by vendors about diamonds are the same.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Tough decision for you. Perhaps it will come down to taking a chance on this stone?

Have you discussed with your jeweller whether this stone is completely eye clean to your requirements?

On the video I can see some of the inclusions, however with this being greatly magnified they may not be immediately (or not at all?) seen in real life?

I hope it works out for you =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following along hesitant to weigh in because I'm a little fish in RT.

Just wanted to say what if you see the stone and it's LOVE and not novelty love but "the one" kind of love. You will never know if you don't at least see it. I personally would always wonder if I should have seen it.

So that's my vote and now I'll go back to my vintage and antique corner :wavey:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nala, order an aset from Dave Atlas while you are waiting for your jeweller to find this stone. If this stone is a pass, there will be others & it won't matter if he can get one or not, you will come ready with your own. Or, put up a notice on Preloved for willing to buy in case someone doesn't want theirs anymore.

Yssie's stone is stunning & it's similar in the specs of this E stone, apart from the 40.8 pavillion. You can speculate & bend yourself into a pretzel about the 40.8 but seeing is believing. Believing it's beautiful & eye clean or it's not any or both of those things. I'd absolutely take Yssie's advice to embrace the stone for the qualities it has instead of what it doesn't.
Her stone:
GIA 4.01 J VS1, EX/EX/EX
10.04 x 10.11 mm
56/62.9, 36.5/40.6, LGF 75
No fluor

Do not watch JannPaul videos for education.
They carefully manipulate the lighting conditions and strategically select diamonds to over-exaggerate differences and showcase theirs products.
Their products look amazing and what they say in the video is not false. But, treat their videos as infomercials.
hqdefault.jpg

Off topic, but I watched one of these videos with the volume muted the other day (just to test my own eyes) and I ended up preferring the non super ideal! Then I watched it again with the video on and the person just ripped into the stone and I was sitting there thinking “... but I didn’t think it was ugly” haha.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
"I don’t trust myself enough to walk away because I think it will be a good enough diamond to bring home and then the second guessing will begin."

What about bringing someone with you whose judgement you trust to view the stone? Even if it means hiring a local appraiser for an hour, wouldn't it be worth it to have the peace of mind of an outside, valued opinion on site with you?

Even if you decide this diamond is not for you, by looking at it you will not wonder in the future if it is "the one that got away." That's peace of mind too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ended up preferring the non super ideal!
This!!!
Are heart and Arrows "better" than less organized patterns?
Some sellers would have you believe that.
Except I've spoken to countless people who specifically do not like Heart and Arrows.
This is why I feel so strongly that the terminology surrounding cut is hopelessly biased.
The word "Ideal"....it's just so ....wrong.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very perceptive and true.
Unfortunately, pretty much all "educational" videos that are posted by vendors about diamonds are the same.

Correct. This applies to all articles, threads and posts as well. Some are better than others. In the case of Jannpaul, their videos are border-line acceptable.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don’t trust myself enough to walk away because I think it will be a good enough diamond to bring home and then the second guessing will begin.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my doctor- who had to prescribe some pills for me.
"You're NOT allowed to "learn" about this medication online... got it?" I followed her orders.

Pricescope is such a double-edged sword in that regard.
There's so much great info and advice given every day.
And at the same time, some of the most vocal participants, rightly have very strong preferences.
These preferences, over time, color discussions.
Still- I do feel this forum is an overall positive for consumer education.
But nala's statement is part of what always bothered me.
If a person feels like they need someone else to tell them which diamond is more beautiful, haven't we completely missed the point?

Nala- trust your eyes.
Some of the aspects of cut described here as crucial are far less crucial when considered as part of the purchase as a whole.
You might not be able to see some of the subtle differences others can see- but in my opinion, you can use that to your advantage.
I always ask pointed questions when recommending what sort of stone to look at.
A 21-year-old can easily spot SI sized imperfections that a 51-year-old could not see.
If someone prefers a non super ideal based onhow it looks- and many people do-0 they can save money, or get a larger stone for the money and give up nothing.
Relax- have fun with this!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors solved the dilemma - take a friend!

I think you’ll regret not looking at this stone. Given the vendor tie in your upgrade circumstances - I really think that this is an opportunity that you’ll regret not at least considering in-person.

You might hate the stone when you see it! You might feel ambiguous about it. You might love it. You’re overthinking yourself into analysis paralysis - give yourself a chance to find out ::)

Re. Guilt over having your jeweller do work for nothing - your jeweller knows you. If he’s willing to pull this stone without commitment, it’s because he wants you to keep working with him and he’s that confident he’s found a winner. It would be discourteous to basically tell him he’s wrong up front, without even entertaining his opinion, right?

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my doctor- who had to prescribe some pills for me.
"You're NOT allowed to "learn" about this medication online... got it?" I followed her orders.

Pricescope is such a double-edged sword in that regard.
There's so much great info and advice given every day.
And at the same time, some of the most vocal participants, rightly have very strong preferences.
These preferences, over time, color discussions.
Still- I do feel this forum is an overall positive for consumer education.
But nala's statement is part of what always bothered me.
If a person feels like they need someone else to tell them which diamond is more beautiful, haven't we completely missed the point?

Nala- trust your eyes.
Some of the aspects of cut described here as crucial are far less crucial when considered as part of the purchase as a whole.
You might not be able to see some of the subtle differences others can see- but in my opinion, you can use that to your advantage.
I always ask pointed questions when recommending what sort of stone to look at.
A 21-year-old can easily spot SI sized imperfections that a 51-year-old could not see.
If someone prefers a non super ideal based onhow it looks- and many people do-0 they can save money, or get a larger stone for the money and give up nothing.
Relax- have fun with this!!

I think many of us stress and second guess ourselves when we are making large purchases regardless of the purchases being jewelry or anything else. I know I do! I think for women in particular it can be especially difficult to pull the trigger on something expensive bought for ourselves because most of us have grown up in a culture that tells us to sacrifice for our families, to spend the money on others, but not on ourselves. This makes the stakes high and adds stress!

Yes, PriceScope can be a double edged sword in terms of information overload or differences in preferences for jewelry styles/diamond stats. But at the end of the day, we are all cheering for each other to be happy with jewelry purchases in a way that most people we know in our daily lives wouldn't understand or even approve of. Most PSers know what it means to long for a piece of jewelry, often for years, and then when its within reach, to worry about it being "just right." We want to help each other figure out how to attain that jewelry piece of their dreams. I think that support and camaraderie is valuable. So many people in our daily (non PS) lives don't "get" why we'd care about jewelry at all and some even tear us down for wanting it (at least they do in my life.) If nothing else, knowing that PSers are rooting for you, that you have a team behind you, I believe is a comfort.

Of course Nala should trust her own eyes! When I suggested bringing a trusted friend or even an appraiser with her it was for peace of mind. She seemed worried that the NOVELTY of the new, larger diamond might sway her in a way that she later regrets, NOT that she doesn't trust her own eyes to tell her which is more sparkly or beautiful.

<Edited for typos because I suck at typing!>

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many of us stress and second guess ourselves when we are making large purchases regardless of the purchases being jewelry or anything else. I know I do! I think for women in particular it can be especially difficult to pull the trigger on something expensive bought for ourselves because most of us have grown up in a culture that tells us to sacrifice for our families, to spend the money on others, but not on ourselves. This makes the stakes high and adds stress!

Yes, PriceScope can be a double edged sword in terms of information overload or differences in preferences for jewelry styles/diamond stats. But at the end of the day, we are all cheering for each other to be happy with jewelry purchases in a way that most people we know in our daily lives wouldn't understand or even approve of. Most PSers know what it means to long for a piece of jewelry, often for years, and then when its within reach, to worry about it being "just right." We want to help each other figure out how to attain that jewelry piece of their dreams. I think that support and camaraderie is valuable. So many people in our daily (non PS) lives don't "get" why we'd care about jewelry at all and some even tear us down for wanting it (at least they do in my life.) If nothing else, knowing that PSers are rooting for you, that you have a team behind you, I believe is a comfort.

Of course Nala should trust her own eyes! When I suggested bringing a trusted friend or even an appraiser with her it was for peace of mind. She seemed worried that the NOVELTY of the new, larger diamond might sway her in a way that she later regrets, NOT that she doesn't trust her own eyes to tell her which is more sparkly or beautiful.

<Edited for typos because I suck at typing!>

All very true. You won’t find more understanding about jewelry and the nuances it encompasses than here on PS.
I think we can all relate to some part of Nala’s story and of course we just want her to be happy in whichever decision she makes!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone for your support! I will keep
You all posted when I hear new developments! I texted my jeweler to go ahead and source it but he hasn’t replied. I know he is open on Saturday but closed Sunday, so I might now hear back from him until Monday. Sigh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results