shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this really a beautiful diamond!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would start a new thread, just in case. My jeweler says it’s beautiful!
A638AFD4-F660-4D2F-8116-A22587E10997.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run it on the hca
wisps need inspecting for scatter and or haze.
Small for its weight

Oh. I forgot to mention. Hca score is 3.4

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would start a new thread, just in case. My jeweler says it’s beautiful!
A638AFD4-F660-4D2F-8116-A22587E10997.jpeg

A jeweler said something they are selling is beautiful?
Really? Are you kidding?
That's so surprising!!!

Of course (s)he said that.
They want to sell it.
Consider the source. :doh:

I'll only part with my hard-earned money if I get the magnificent light performance that only diamond can provide ... but that will only happen when it is well-cut to a narrow range of ideal proportions.
How do you know when a diamond has that? ... Use the HCA.
I'd never consider buying a round with an HCA score over 2.0.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That crown is pretty steep especially paired with a 40.8 pavilion angle and it is deep so you would also be losing size. I understand you are excited about the color but I would tread carefully. I wouldn’t like someone telling me to trust him when he doesn’t have the stone in hand to see and knowing that the cut is definitely not all it could be. Just don’t let him sell you something that might cause heartache down the line.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember the high color will be reflected in the price. It may not perform as well as the stone you have now.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That crown is pretty steep especially paired with a 40.8 pavilion angle and it is deep so you would also be losing size. I understand you are excited about the color but I would tread carefully. I wouldn’t like someone telling me to trust him when he doesn’t have the stone in hand to see and knowing that the cut is definitely not all it could be. Just don’t let him sell you something that might cause heartache down the line.

Thanks! I hear you!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My 2.88 has similar cut specs with the exception of the PA... I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it because it doesn’t conform with the recommended norm. I still drool everyday over my stone’s tall crown.

Can your jeweler give you any imaging - ASET/IS to help with your assessment?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2.88 has similar cut specs with the exception of the PA... I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it because it doesn’t conform with the recommended norm. I still drool everyday over my stone’s tall crown.

He’s a b&m jeweler so prob not. I’m off to stalk your stone!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what to make of this comment. Lol

If you had a pavillion angle of 40.6, then you could get away with a steeper crown (like what you have). The issue here is that you have a very steep crown paired with a steep pavillion angle as well, which won't work.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you had a pavillion angle of 40.6, then you could get away with a steeper crown (like what you have). The issue here is that you have a very steep crown paired with a steep pavillion angle as well, which won't work.

Thank you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw your stone and it’s gorgeous! Too bad this one has a pavilion angle that is off by .2! Who would think that would be enough to make a difference!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw your stone and it’s gorgeous! Too bad this one has a pavilion angle that is off by .2! Who would think that would be enough to make a difference!

Thanks! And agreed... it’s unfortunate it is off just enough to make it uncomplimentary. That said, don’t be discouraged or restrict your search to overly narrow parameters. Since you checked out my thread, you know are a wide range of stones out there to consider - I know you’ll find your perfect stone!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Pavilion angle is 5 times as important as crown angle.
Google
inverse crown and pavilion

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely worth looking at IRL @nala!
If I recall correctly you've got to work with this jeweller to upgrade?
GIA numbers are averaged and rounded... Minimizes the utility of nitpicking.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely worth looking at IRL @nala!
If I recall correctly you've got to work with this jeweller to upgrade?
GIA numbers are averaged and rounded... Minimizes the utility of nitpicking.

Thanks! But I don’t think he can source it unless I commit l—I’d basically have to trust him that it’s beautiful! And from the replies on this post it doesn’t seem likely. He is supposed to call me today at some point so that he can explain how he sources diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's funny ( ironic) that people are so laser-focused on cut. Of course, cut is super important....but it needs part of an overall assessment.
Go find another 2.90ct...that size is exceptionally difficult to find.
Then the clarity.
Personally I look at SI1 diamonds with a far more open mind- because of the value and price.
Say we're comparing two stones-both 1.01 G/SI1.....well, that's NOT going to happen in this case.
So small differences in cut, if we're given 20 stones to choose from, yes, let's use that parameter.
But the price of a stone like this is a fraction of the price of a 3ct E/VS1. Maybe about 5/8ths the price.
HUGE difference.

The Medium Blue certainly might be an issue...however, if it is, you'll see it straight away.

And while it's true that many sellers call any old pile of doogy poo "beautiful", that doesn't mean every dealer who says that it lying.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond, I think what baffles me is that I have no idea how a stone with these proportions would even look in real life! After chatting with my jeweler, he basically said that if I don’t pull the trigger on this one, I would have to pay double what I spent on my original stone or I would have to wait it out and hopefully some day one of his clients would trade one in. Could be years or never—given the tight parameters that I expect.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala in your other thread, you posted a photo. I actually thought that the diamond looked really lovely in that photo! I am not sure what’s your out of pocket cost for the stone after your trade, but if it is reasonable, I would consider it. Is there a video we can see?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
What happens if you commit, pay, get it and don't like it? No trial period?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala in your other thread, you posted a photo. I actually thought that the diamond looked really lovely in that photo! I am not sure what’s your out of pocket cost for the stone after your trade, but if it is reasonable, I would consider it. Is there a video we can see?

How do I share a video? I have one and I don’t know how.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results