shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this really a beautiful diamond!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do I share a video? I have one and I don’t know how.

Post it on Vimeo or YouTube and share the link

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happens if you commit, pay, get it and don't like it? No trial period?

He said he is sooo sure that I will love it that he will allow me to reject it—but I don’t want to be pressured to fee stuck with it.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
He said he is sooo sure that I will love it that he will allow me to reject it—but I don’t want to be pressured to fee stuck with it.

I understand. Thanks @nala !

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If he's indicated he'll allow you to reject it if you aren't completely in love with it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a look over irl. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain - basically a new, beautiful stone! Given he's laid out it's this or an undetermined wait period, I wouldn't feel any guilt, either, by taking a look and rejecting it.

Did he give you specifics on how long and where you can evaluate to make your decision? I would want to "live" with it for at least a couple of days and see it in all sorts of environments and lighting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he's indicated he'll allow you to reject it if you aren't completely in love with it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a look over irl. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain - basically a new, beautiful stone! Given he's laid out it's this or an undetermined wait period, I wouldn't feel any guilt, either, by taking a look and rejecting it.

Did he give you specifics on how long and where you can evaluate to make your decision? I would want to "live" with it for at least a couple of days and see it in all sorts of environments and lighting.

So after our chat, he made it clear that I am an exception when it comes to trades. He usually expects customers to spend double, but that has never been the case for me—I guess bc I wasn’t so discriminating and the last trade was just pure luck! So, idk if i want to push it with this one and waste my opportunity!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like this stone. It’s gorgeous imo. So white, such a clean SI1. This is a perfect example that you don’t need “ideal” proportions to have a stunning diamond. If the amount is reasonable, I’d go for it @nala.

The amount is reasonable—bc I basically get full credit for my stone and just pay the difference. It’s very tempting. Prior to my current stone, I had a diamond that scored a 5.6 hca and I was happy with it until I started obsessing over hca. My current one scores a 1.6, I think. So I do really appreciate its cut. That said. I’m very tempted and have to wonder if I would be happy bc a 3.4 is better than a 5.6– with the added bonus of clarity and color and size! Ugh.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The amount is reasonable—bc I basically get full credit for my stone and just pay the difference. It’s very tempting. Prior to my current stone, I had a diamond that scored a 5.6 hca and I was happy with it until I started obsessing over hca. My current one scores a 1.6, I think. So I do really appreciate its cut. That said. I’m very tempted and have to wonder if I would be happy bc a 3.4 is better than a 5.6– with the added bonus of clarity and color and size! Ugh.

I personally wouldn’t look too much into the HCA in this case. You have a video and I don’t see anything alarming in it. It a gorgeous, large, white and clean diamond. I would give it shot, but you can only tell if you like what you see in the video.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn’t look too much into the HCA in this case. You have a video and I don’t see anything alarming in it. It a gorgeous, large, white and clean diamond. I would give it shot, but you can only tell if you like what you see in the video.

Here’s a crazy idea. What if I did pull the trigger and if it turned out that I wasn’t completely happy—would it be a candidate for a recut? Down the road? Given that it seems it is only off by a few degrees? Or is this not how it works?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a crazy idea. What if I did pull the trigger and if it turned out that I wasn’t completely happy—would it be a candidate for a recut? Down the road? Given that it seems it is only off by a few degrees? Or is this not how it works?

Oh @nala I love following your bling journeys. I wouldn’t want to buy it thinking I may need to recut it. Who knows right now how much spread you’d lose and there is always a risk involved in a recut. He won’t bring it in for you!? Surely you’re his best customer!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
What is the size increase between what you currently have and this new diamond?

In the perfect world, what is your ideal size? Do you see this diamond as your goal size, or would it be a stepping stone (no pun intended) to a larger one down the road?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala that stone is DEFINITELY worth looking at in-person. I think this is a perfect example of numbers never telling the full story.
If you were my real-world friend, not “just” my online friend, I would recommend you look at it!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the size increase between what you currently have and this new diamond?

In the perfect world, what is your ideal size? Do you see this diamond as your goal size, or would it be a stepping stone (no pun intended) to a larger one down the road?

This would be my last upgrade bc I would probably never want to give up my E!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala that stone is DEFINITELY worth looking at in-person. I think this is a perfect example of numbers never telling the full story.
If you were my real-world friend, not “just” my online friend, I would recommend you look at it!

Wow! That means a lot! Thank you, friend!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
This would be my last upgrade bc I would probably never want to give up my E!

I think a 2.9 is an ideal size too. Fingers crossed this one will work out for you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if for some reason you didn't like this diamond two years down the road, would you again be in the position to have to double the amount for another upgrade? When the diamond comes in, you don't absolutely have to purchase it from him? Just trying to play out all scenarios in my head so that you don't get caught in the crosshairs some way.
I wish you luck with your decision! It could be the right diamond for you but I don't want to see you 'stuck' with it if it isn't. How soon do you have to let him know?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks really quite nice. If there is NO risk on your part to have him bring it in & you taking a look, I would do it. I too wouldn't want to buy a stone that would need recutting. The allure is not just the E, which is phenomenal, but the size. I wouldn't want to lose even 1mm if it were me. LOL

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I personally wouldn’t buy this stone to recut, that’s an expensive endeavor and there are always risks associated, even if minimal. However, again, I really think that this diamond is stunning! I would hesitate to move forward with it and it also sounds like the cost to upgrade is reasonable. All the more reasons to give to shot.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @nala I love following your bling journeys. I wouldn’t want to buy it thinking I may need to recut it. Who knows right now how much spread you’d lose and there is always a risk involved in a recut. He won’t bring it in for you!? Surely you’re his best customer!

Ha! You would think! Lol

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if for some reason you didn't like this diamond two years down the road, would you again be in the position to have to double the amount for another upgrade? When the diamond comes in, you don't absolutely have to purchase it from him? Just trying to play out all scenarios in my head so that you don't get caught in the crosshairs some way.
I wish you luck with your decision! It could be the right diamond for you but I don't want to see you 'stuck' with it if it isn't. How soon do you have to let him know?

So, he reassured me that I don’t have to purchase it from him. I don’t have to leave a deposit nor give him my stone until I’m absolutely sure. But I’m just afraid that I would get super excited before being sure or that I would feel pressured to say yes in order not to put him out, kwim? Bc I’m also aware that if I do pass this one up, I might not have the chance to upgrade—at all. I don’t want to spend double to upgrade and I don’t want to wait around for a trade-in from his clients that may never happen—especially since he doesn’t carry ideal cut stones to begin with. So, this would be my final upgrade—and if I pulled the trigger—bc I did love it—I would be fine with as my forever stone. He gave me a week to think about it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally wouldn’t buy this stone to recut, that’s an expensive endeavor and there are always risks associated, even if minimal. However, again, I really think that this diamond is stunning! I would hesitate to move forward with it and it also sounds like the cost to upgrade is reasonable. All the more reasons to give to shot.

Yeah —the recut was a crazy thought—lol. Thanks for your reassurance!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah —the recut was a crazy thought—lol. Thanks for your reassurance!

No problem ;-) ok please go get it and post a bazillion pics!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, he reassured me that I don’t have to purchase it from him. I don’t have to leave a deposit nor give him my stone until I’m absolutely sure. But I’m just afraid that I would get super excited before being sure or that I would feel pressured to say yes in order not to put him out, kwim? Bc I’m also aware that if I do pass this one up, I might not have the chance to upgrade—at all. I don’t want to spend double to upgrade and I don’t want to wait around for a trade-in from his clients that may never happen—especially since he doesn’t carry ideal cut stones to begin with. So, this would be my final upgrade—and if I pulled the trigger—bc I did love it—I would be fine with as my forever stone. He gave me a week to think about it.

If you see it and you love it then it is a win-win. If you buy it with niggling doubts in your mind, then it could turn into a fiasco. I know you love your current diamond and the thought of a higher color plus the additional size is rather intoxicating. It is hard to tamp down the excitement but just try looking at it in as many lighting environments as you can. I know you have a long relationship with the jeweler but his aim is to make some money and yours shouldn’t be to worry about putting him out. Again, I understand the thought but he will move on and I just don’t want you left unhappy. It certainly has promise and might just work out. I am overly cautious because in all my trades before I was able to do the ACA, I experienced some of what you are going through now. I was frustrated and at the mercy of a jeweler that I waited on to get more stones. It can seem like a lifetime and be very frustrating.
Having written that novel, we all know that there are no absolutes in this life so if the pros seem to outweigh the cons, I wish you all the best as you move forward!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you see it and you love it then it is a win-win. If you buy it with niggling doubts in your mind, then it could turn into a fiasco. I know you love your current diamond and the thought of a higher color plus the additional size is rather intoxicating. It is hard to tamp down the excitement but just try looking at it in as many lighting environments as you can. I know you have a long relationship with the jeweler but his aim is to make some money and yours shouldn’t be to worry about putting him out. Again, I understand the thought but he will move on and I just don’t want you left unhappy. It certainly has promise and might just work out. I am overly cautious because in all my trades before I was able to do the ACA, I experienced some of what you are going through now. I was frustrated and at the mercy of a jeweler that I waited on to get more stones. It can seem like a lifetime and be very frustrating.
Having written that novel, we all know that there are no absolutes in this life so if the pros seem to outweigh the cons, I wish you all the best as you move forward!

So he just texted me: “for you, I will make the exception” in response to me asking him once again if I would be able to reject it. So, already, the pressure is there. But I’m going to be an entitled customer and take him up on this one-time exception. Why not? I figure that if he has enough faith in his diamond expertise to source it, and his job is to sell stones, then he won’t have a problem selling it if I pass it up.

I totally appreciate that you are looking out for me and sharing your experience. I do. And I agree that it mirrors my own. I think that I am appreciating that If this stone had a perfect hca, it would cost double what I will be paying! That said, the fact that I don’t have to spend double for this upgrade is even more appealing—bc tbh, I don’t think that I will ever feel comfortable spending double what I have already spent. If I did entertain that thought, I would most likely have to wait 10 years. So now the first step is to make sure the stone is still available! If not, it was not meant to be!

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he offering to bring the stone in for you to assess with no obligation from you, than you have nothing to lose. You have a history with him and he won’t want to lose you as a customer I’m thinking, but he’s also trying to sell to you. I’d take him up on the offer making it clear you may reject the stone. Your trade in stone is gorgeous and he knows he can market that for a good price. Whatever you do don’t buy something out of guilt. I’m following with interest nala!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he offering to bring the stone in for you to assess with no obligation from you, than you have nothing to lose. You have a history with him and he won’t want to lose you as a customer I’m thinking, but he’s also trying to sell to you. I’d take him up on the offer making it clear you may reject the stone. Your trade in stone is gorgeous and he knows he can market that for a good price. Whatever you do don’t buy something out of guilt. I’m following with interest nala!

Absolutely! It’s not even guilt that worries me—it’s my impetuous nature that I’m more concerned about! Like. I will I dive in bc of the novelty!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! It’s not even guilt that worries me—it’s my impetuous nature that I’m more concerned about! Like. I will I dive in bc of the novelty!

Is this the same jeweler you have bought all of your settings through? Will he be able to make some of them work for a larger diamond?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the same jeweler you have bought all of your settings through? Will he be able to make some of them work for a larger diamond?

Yes and yes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results