shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it me or are OEC's more expensive than MRB's now?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan. From this photo it appears the faceting isn't well defined or crisp and the pattern more random than I personally like. Not checkerboard patterning. But I would like to see this one in action with videos and more photos too. You want to evaluate the light play across the stone and see the on/off pattern and is it a bright stone. Much better to evaluate in action.

The more you see the better you will get to know what you like and what to look for. It is just a matter of seeing as many as you can. Looking forward to seeing the one you choose.
Hi @missy-oh this is not an image of the real diamond-just an example of the facet pattern. I don’t want to jinx it by posting a real pic until I have the ring in hand!

It’s kind of strange-seems like OECs are very difficult to photograph. For example, the two diamonds that I tried on last weekend were gorgeous irl. I didn’t take pics or video footage because I knew I wasn’t going to seriously consider either one (both rings were 5 ish carats and over $80k).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @missy-oh this is not an image of the real diamond-just an example of the facet pattern. I don’t want to jinx it by posting a real pic until I have the ring in hand!

It’s kind of strange-seems like OECs are very difficult to photograph. For example, the two diamonds that I tried on last weekend were gorgeous irl. I didn’t take pics or video footage because I knew I wasn’t going to seriously consider either one (both rings were 5 ish carats and over $80k).

Haha I hear you. I am also a believer in he "jinx" and it can be challenging because I am an open book and like to share my excitement with PSers as soon as I know. :lol: And yes it can be challenging to photograph OECs but keep at it and you will master it. It's just a matter of repetition and experience. Not that I am an expert photographer nope, not at all. I am lucky because Bubbalah can't seem to take a bad photo despite me haha.

I cannot wait to see your ring! Good luck!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@missy it’s killing me to not give you all more details! There is kind of an involved story with this one...

@caolsen thanks for your detailed explanations. I never thought I would hear culets compared to ****. I’ve been collecting pricing data for months but now I feel like a need PHD in facets. You ladies are my professors!

So would you also consider this stone an early American cut? 5BAFB880-3198-4932-BF80-C40235DEF984.jpeg

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
@missy it’s killing me to not give you all more details! There is kind of an involved story with this one...

@caolsen thanks for your detailed explanations. I never thought I would hear culets compared to ****. I’ve been collecting pricing data for months but now I feel like a need PHD in facets. You ladies are my professors!

So would you also consider this stone an early American cut? 5BAFB880-3198-4932-BF80-C40235DEF984.jpeg

To my eye (insert disclaimer that I am not a pro) that’s a probably late OEC with a small culet. I see the flowery, almost heart shaped facets and a smaller table. In a AEC Tranny I’d expect a more liner facet pattern and the tables can be all over the place as they were playing around with what the hell a modern, non OEC cut was in the 30 odd years trannies were being cut.

That said, it’s a lovely pattern. These stones are like quilts. Any pattern that’s well cut, even, proportional and symmetrical is good to great but some patterns speak to you more than others.

I like wedding ring quilts but not tumbling blocks - no matter how well the tumbling block pattern is executed.

A0598042-B9BB-4567-B387-BC0799E24B4B.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve discussed OECs with Alex and he says most are poorly cut, hence why he doesn’t source many. He has amazing deals but you may be waiting a very long time.

This could be something to inquire about as it fits all your criteria and isn’t that far off in price, esp if you’re just looking for a loose stone - https://www.bardys.com/collections/...amond-platinum-engagement-ring-crown-mounting

Also, Poli Trading Co on IG has great options once in a while. I asked about these 3ct stones (both sold) and they were priced at $19-20k which I think is so reasonable - https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPblcml7EO/?igshid=117avf5gl9hs9

Diana from SinCityFinds also has a great eye. She sold this 3.31ct J for $24.5k - https://www.instagram.com/p/CJKBVVTBJUN/?igshid=lqk6od28c0ew

She also had this one it's an but ugh I wish I could have snapped it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CKM82a2Bdni/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
@lulu_ma Oh another lead for you (I totally forgot about this one) - I believe msuite8 on Instagram is selling her 3.98ct OEC ("Lady"). I'm not sure on the specs other than weight unfortunately. She mentioned she's looking for $31k.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader and @Aurora26 thanks for the data! And, aurora26 thanks for reminding me about msuite8's diamond. I had totally forgotten about that one. I'll going to check out the specs on it now.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@lulu_ma Oh another lead for you (I totally forgot about this one) - I believe msuite8 on Instagram is selling her 3.98ct OEC ("Lady"). I'm not sure on the specs other than weight unfortunately. She mentioned she's looking for $31k.

I’ve never heard of this person’s IG wow she has a lot! It seems like she’s posting her private collection?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never heard of this person’s IG wow she has a lot! It seems like she’s posting her private collection?

She sells from her private collection. She is very nice. I haven't bought from her though.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh ladies, I just saw a gorgeous 4.7 carat M. I went to see it just to look at a M color IRL, but I’m now I’m seriously considering it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok here’s a bad pic. The video is much better. But I have to figure out how to upload it!

The kicking myself for not getting pics next to my F ec. I am color sensitive so I’m kind of shocked that this stone is a contender.

Disregard the setting. While I am loving 3 stones right now. I wouldn’t want a 3 stone with a 4.7 ct center.

8145C48C-4141-4C5C-ABC7-B21EEE818967.jpeg

Attachments

• F247FF99-CE0A-44CF-831C-5FD7239297ED.jpeg
    F247FF99-CE0A-44CF-831C-5FD7239297ED.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 16

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok here’s a bad pic. The video is much better. But I have to figure out how to upload it!

The kicking myself for not getting pics next to my F ec. I am color sensitive so I’m kind of shocked that this stone is a contender.

Disregard the setting. While I am loving 3 stones right now. I wouldn’t want a 3 stone with a 4.7 ct center.

8145C48C-4141-4C5C-ABC7-B21EEE818967.jpeg

Holy cow, that's an M?? I would have guessed a K at the most!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@ForteKitty @missy @Mreader and any other OEC lovers opinions please (I'm freaking out a bit) :pray:

To my untrained eye, the facets look good. Is this really an M?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I'm no OEC-whisperer like some of the ladies you tagged but to me the facets look a little disorganized. It might be because the video is moving a little quickly so I can't get a good look, but I'm having a hard time with a clear facet pattern. Do you think the color looks more yellow in videos? My OEC photographs more "creamy" than IRL!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm no OEC-whisperer like some of the ladies you tagged but to me the facets look a little disorganized. It might be because the video is moving a little quickly so I can't get a good look, but I'm having a hard time with a clear facet pattern. Do you think the color looks more yellow in videos? My OEC photographs more "creamy" than IRL!

It’s probably my poor video skills. Irl facets look crisp.

Here it is next to my I colored stud. D1996CCA-6419-40BB-8F92-428929369674.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
You were moving it around so fast I couldn't really tell. Is that GIA graded?

Oh shoot @ForteKitty :/ fail on my part.

It is not GIA graded but from a very established old jeweler. Clarity wise it’s a very clean stone-my husband and I louped it. VS1 seems correct for the stone. I was very surprised they thought it was a M color. Depth is 61%.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results