shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a eye clean 2ct within my budget?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I am really excited to propose to my gf of 9 years this August but need a little help with getting a ring.

I wanted something that matches the The Tiffany Setting Engagement Ring with the Channel-set Diamond band:
https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/...hannel-set-diamond-band-in-platinum-GRP10876/

The closest thing I've found is the Platinum Vatche Band at White Flash:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...rong-channel-diamond-engagement-ring-3337.htm

Not sure if the forum knows of another site that offers the same band for this quality?

The price of this band falls at $2,572 and my budget goal was to stay under $20k. With $17k left to play with is it possible to get a 2ct, eye clean diamond that isn't going to have cloudiness? Should I lower my expectations and look for something under 2ct?

Do you guys see anything on the white flash site that you'd recommend for me to look at?

Thanks for any and all help!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Is this mounting style one that she has expressed she wants or is it something you've found on your own?
If the magic number of reaching 2 carats isn't super important, you can save money but going under the 2 carat mark because there is a large price jump when you hit the 2 carat mark.
Alternatively, you could get her a more basic solitaire mounting and put all the money into the diamond now, and then down the road swap it out if she wants something more embellished. After my many (30) years of changing diamonds and mountings, I would say that you should put as much as you can into the diamond now. Styles and preferences do change, and people opt for a different mounting all the time. That's not to say some people don't have the same exact ring (diamond and mounting) as they did the day they got engaged over the course of decades because they do (and I really wish I could say I was one of them), but if one is going to make any change, it would be for the mounting before the diamond. Usually people who do get a different diamond do so because they want something larger... you are already looking at the 2 carat range and that may be a size that will make her very, very happy forever. I don't know how long an engagement you foresee, but perhaps you get the best diamond you can now in a basic solitaire mounting, and then when it is time to think about the wedding rings, etc., you select a new mounting at that time. Just a suggestion.
The mounting you are considering is very taste specific and so that is why I have asked whose idea that is, yours or hers or both of you. I wouldn't want you to spend money on an expensive mounting if it isn't something she has explicitly expressed wanting.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
My two cents here. Put the money into the stone.. not the setting. Then upgrade the setting at an anniversary.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Is this mounting style one that she has expressed she wants or is it something you've found on your own?
If the magic number of reaching 2 carats isn't super important, you can save money but going under the 2 carat mark because there is a large price jump when you hit the 2 carat mark.
Alternatively, you could get her a more basic solitaire mounting and put all the money into the diamond now, and then down the road swap it out if she wants something more embellished. After my many (30) years of changing diamonds and mountings, I would say that you should put as much as you can into the diamond now. Styles and preferences do change, and people opt for a different mounting all the time. That's not to say some people don't have the same exact ring (diamond and mounting) as they did the day they got engaged over the course of decades because they do (and I really wish I could say I was one of them), but if one is going to make any change, it would be for the mounting before the diamond. Usually people who do get a different diamond do so because they want something larger... you are already looking at the 2 carat range and that may be a size that will make her very, very happy forever. I don't know how long an engagement you foresee, but perhaps you get the best diamond you can now in a basic solitaire mounting, and then when it is time to think about the wedding rings, etc., you select a new mounting at that time. Just a suggestion.
The mounting you are considering is very taste specific and so that is why I have asked whose idea that is, yours or hers or both of you. I wouldn't want you to spend money on an expensive mounting if it isn't something she has explicitly expressed wanting.

That’s a very fair question. I vetted her over the years and I’m very confident this setting is something she will be happy with!

The goal is for no upgrades down the line so I’m trying to hit the 2ct mark now. At this point I just want a mentor or some guidance from a professional that isn’t trying to sell me a diamond. That’s why I was very pleased to find a community like this one. I’m willing to stretch my budget but it’s difficult going even higher in terms of dollars and still running into vs2 that say clouds not marked.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you buy an ACA or ES from wf, it won't be cloudy. An eyeclean SI1 is a great way to stretch the budget. The stones are marked eyeclean or not on the wf website. If you want further assurance, call wf. They are honest about it.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
The stone Gussie found match your budge and both diamond and setting is from WF which is great! I think you need to find out how color sensitive your fiancé is. But I think I color and SI1 eye clean give you great value!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

I am really excited to propose to my gf of 9 years this August but need a little help with getting a ring.

I wanted something that matches the The Tiffany Setting Engagement Ring with the Channel-set Diamond band:
https://www.tiffany.com/engagement/...hannel-set-diamond-band-in-platinum-GRP10876/

The closest thing I've found is the Platinum Vatche Band at White Flash:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...rong-channel-diamond-engagement-ring-3337.htm

Not sure if the forum knows of another site that offers the same band for this quality?

The price of this band falls at $2,572 and my budget goal was to stay under $20k. With $17k left to play with is it possible to get a 2ct, eye clean diamond that isn't going to have cloudiness? Should I lower my expectations and look for something under 2ct?

Do you guys see anything on the white flash site that you'd recommend for me to look at?

Thanks for any and all help!

Congradulations on your upcoming proposal!

Here is an eye clean Whiteflash A Cut Above
1.94 ct SI1 H wire price $18386

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4039667.htm

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea there was this loupe troop!
So I know everyone is hating me here, but why would you go so high on carat weight yet that far down the color scale?
And you expressed that you want this to be the forever ring... I do not think over the course of time she will be happy with an I or J color in a 2+ carat. I'm sorry.
I would go down in size if need be and do not go lower than H color. Also, if you are wanting to push for size, then you should consider an SI2. There are many horrible ones (I used to have one) and there are many good ones (I now have one). If you aren't comfortable with SI2 then stick with SI1.
So get the largest size you can in a well-cut (GIA 3x or better) stone that is not lower than H color and SI clarity (you pick).
As for the mounting, I am surprised as I imagine you and your girl are much younger than I am and that style (channel set) was very popular "back in the day". But you said you are certain of her wishes so you've got that handled... now it is about finding the diamond,
Discuss with whomever you purchase the mounting from how easy it is to size a channel set ring in the event the size isn't quite right or her finger changes over the course of time which happens. I know that channel sets are a little more temperamental.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...t-j-color-vs2-clarity-gia-xxx-round-brilliant

What about this one in the preloved section? The numbers are the teeniest bit off compared to “super ideals” but still look good to me (although someone with more knowledge than me should chime in.) Also, not sure what color you are looking for since this might be a bit warm.

This is a gorgeous, gorgeous stone with beautiful proportions and much larger compared to what you can get from WF at this time. If this will be a one and done ring, I would strongly consider the LT diamond posted above. The current owner is also a PSer and she created a thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-gia-xxx-round-brilliant.246910/#post-4547639

ETA: I would not recommend dropping to an SI2 clarity to get a whiter 2ct + stone and this comes from someone who has had two SI2 diamonds in the past.

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Some people prefer a larger stone in a lower color. Nothing wrong with that.
Completely agree with you 100%... I was that person! I had a 3.29 in an I color. But it was my decision... it wasn't being selected by someone else. And, over the course of time, the presence of color began to eat at me more and more. So then it became a "different conversation".
I apologize if I offended anyone. That is not my intention. I'm just trying to throw in my 2 cents along with everyone else's. I don't have all the answers (I don't even have any of the answers lol!). I only know my life experience after having many diamonds of different sizes in different color grades. It's just food for thought.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if you are wanting to push for size, then you should consider an SI2. .

Nothing wrong with that but the problem with a bigger stone with a lower clarity such as an SI2 it's very difficult to find one eye clean so the pool is limited. Personally I wouldn't go with a lower colour on a big stone cause you are more likely to see tint over time, then again depends on your color tolerance.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends on how color sensitive the person is.

For my own experience, my first diamond is H and it was eating me up because I thought the color is not high enough, then I upgraded to E. I see no big difference under natural light between H and E and learned that I should use the money to get bigger size. Now I have a J color SI1 and most of the time I am very happy because I can see the SIZE, compared to not being able to see the color value difference that much. So I learned my lesson.

In my case I would pick size over color, but OP need to find what color is acceptable.

Btw I consider myself young(late 20S) and I love the setting OP picked.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Nothing wrong with that but the problem with a bigger stone with a lower clarity such as an SI2 it's very difficult to find one eye clean so the pool is limited. Personally I wouldn't go with a lower colour on a big stone cause you are more likely to see tint over time, then again depends on your color tolerance.
Definitely forgot to mention exactly what you said... that the larger the stone the more of the hint of color you will see. Just something to keep in mind.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on how color sensitive the person is.

For my own experience, my first diamond is H and it was eating me up because I thought the color is not high enough, then I upgraded to E. I see no big difference under natural light between H and E and learned that I should use the money to get bigger size. Now I have a J color SI1 and most of the time I am very happy because I can see the SIZE, compared to not being able to see the color value difference that much. So I learned my lesson.

Do you mind sharing what the sizes were for your H, E, and now J? Thank you. It's good to hear the perspective you bring to this forum.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
My H is 1.2ct, then E 1.5ct, now J 2.5ct

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It is definitely something to note that in that 1.2-1.5 carat range you didn't see the difference between the H and the E. This is good to know!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
It is definitely something to note that in that 1.2-1.5 carat range you didn't see the difference between the H and the E. This is good to know!

I did saw a little difference,but I have to closely inspect it and tilt it in different side to compare. I feel no one is going to look at my ring like that. So it was not enough difference for me to appreciate it.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eye clean SI2 diamonds have definitely gotten harder to find now compared to the early days of Pricescope. But one big J SI2 that I can recall belongs to Lynn B. https://www.pricescope.com/blog/wf-fishtail-pave-engagement-ring-reset-lynn-b-tbt She reset it a couple of times. You can search for her posts.

Another big J or several were owned by Mara on here. She upgraded a couple of times, as I recall.

There is also a thread J color in Platinum in the show me the bling part of the forum. Both Lynn and Mara had their diamonds set in white metal. Might have been platinum.

Generally, nowadaqys anything eye clean and large and SI2 is going to be an in-house diamond at a major Pricescope vendor. There might be "good enough" exceptions, but in house would be the way to bet.

Last edited:

shelstone

Rough_Rock
If you buy an ACA or ES from wf, it won't be cloudy. An eyeclean SI1 is a great way to stretch the budget. The stones are marked eyeclean or not on the wf website. If you want further assurance, call wf. They are honest about it.
This might be where my ignorance shines. What’s ACA or ES? And do they try to sell you eye clean or are they reputable and can be trusted on the diamonds hey are pushing? Not sure I’ve heard much about them before today. Thanks for the advice!
My two cents here. Put the money into the stone.. not the setting. Then upgrade the setting at an anniversary.
Is that easily done taking a stone off one ring and then putting it on another band? My next question is does it ma

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
This might be where my ignorance shines. What’s ACA or ES? And do they try to sell you eye clean or are they reputable and can be trusted on the diamonds hey are pushing? Not sure I’ve heard much about them before today. Thanks for the advice!

Is that easily done taking a stone off one ring and then putting it on another band? My next question is does it ma

Definitely not trying to push off anything, they are a trusted and recommended vendor by many/most here. High performance diamonds (HPD) and Brian Gavin diamonds (BGD) also are trustworthy vendors for super ideal cut/branded diamonds. "ACA" is a cut above and WFs branded super ideal cut diamond, CBI (crafted by infinity) is the branded super ideal cut round from HPD and Brian Gavin Signature and Black is from BGD. ES is expert selection which is an ideal cut stone that just missed a parameter to be an ACA but still can offer great value. I have personally purchased from an ACA from WF and a Brian Gavin Signature from BGD and both were quality/beautiful stones. Brand super ideal stones may have a premium but also in my opinion, performance is well worth it, especially when buying a stone site unseen.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Definitely not trying to push off anything, they are a trusted and recommended vendor by many/most here. High performance diamonds (HPD) and Brian Gavin diamonds (BGD) also are trustworthy vendors for super ideal cut/branded diamonds. "ACA" is a cut above and WFs branded super ideal cut diamond, CBI (crafted by infinity) is the branded super ideal cut round from HPD and Brian Gavin Signature and Black is from BGD. ES is expert selection which is an ideal cut stone that just missed a parameter to be an ACA but still can offer great value. I have personally purchased from an ACA from WF and a Brian Gavin Signature from BGD and both were quality/beautiful stones. Brand super ideal stones may have a premium but also in my opinion, performance is well worth it, especially when buying a stone site unseen.
Thanks Tim I appreciate all the info. I’ll check out the other vendors I’m just looking for a very specific setting so idk if they carry it. But I’ll give those others a peek thanks!

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Tim I appreciate all the info. I’ll check out the other vendors I’m just looking for a very specific setting so idk if they carry it. But I’ll give those others a peek thanks!

Well I know WF and BGD can do custom settings, may be worth contacting them and talking to them about what you are looking for and see if they can do something similar although looks like you listed something close to what you were looking for already at WF. I am sure HPD can also I just have not had the luxury of working with them yet. Good luck to you and I know everyone here will be more than willing to help along. I just work nights so am always up late, seems like most of the chatter here happens during the day :D

AV_

Ideal_Rock

(attempted humour ,)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can, I would avoid custom. It is a big endeavor and sometimes turns into a headache. Settings are important to a lot of women so I would try to work within your budget to get the Vatche. I also suggest looking at b&m to see where her color tolerance is. For some people, H-J are fine, even preferred. They are not lower quality, just warmer. For others, only icy white will do. It should be noted that a well cut stone will face up whiter than a lesser cut stone. An I will never look like a D, but it isn't "yellow" either. Buy the best cut you can.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this one was posted already or not...seems like this thread took a detour (color discussion).
This is an eye-clean "I" and hits the 2 carat mark. It is a good value because it just misses the ACA qualification but is still a really nice cut stone
(see the aset, idealscope images etc.) You can ask for additional pictures and talk to Whiteflash about the eye-cleanliness if you are concerned.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2936493.htm

I know you dont want to ever upgrade but this stone does have the Whiteflash upgrade policy should you/she ever change your mind.

Edit...I would agree with @Gussie and avoid custom if you can find the setting already made. Custom
can be daunting (just finished that process).

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *really* think this is a purchase you need to do together. The setting you're looking at is....a whole lotta ring - and not to everyone's taste. Most women prefer a more delicate setting with a lot less metal. Your GF may have expressed an interest in a larger setting to compensate for a smaller stone - and for no other reason. A 2ct stone, however, can carry a ring with no need for support. Also, a more elegant engagement ring can get the same effect as the ring you're considering by adding a blingy diamond wedding band. That way she can mix and match and have more options. My sincerest opinion is that the Tiffany setting will date - and date FAST, since it already looks somewhat out of fashion to me. It's a very specific look, and very specific looks go out of fashion inexorably. You're better off to go for more of a classic if you don't intend to upgrade later.

I completely support your decision not to upgrade down the track. However, opinions change. When I was engaged, I NEVER thought I'd upgrade - yet here we are. So make sure you go with a company with a good upgrade policy. And if you DO 'never upgrade', you really need to hit it out of the park first time - which brings us back to my first comment, which is that this is a purchase that needs to be made together.

This has to suit HER 100%. It really doesn't matter what you think of it. Involve her in the process; it's the best way of protecting your investment.

ETA Having said all of that...that Loupe Troop stone is a stunner for the price - what a deal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results