shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a eye clean 2ct within my budget?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I *really* think this is a purchase you need to do together. The setting you're looking at is....a whole lotta ring - and not to everyone's taste. Most women prefer a more delicate setting with a lot less metal. Your GF may have expressed an interest in a larger setting to compensate for a smaller stone - and for no other reason. A 2ct stone, however, can carry a ring with no need for support. Also, a more elegant engagement ring can get the same effect as the ring you're considering by adding a blingy diamond wedding band. That way she can mix and match and have more options. My sincerest opinion is that the Tiffany setting will date - and date FAST, since it already looks somewhat out of fashion to me. It's a very specific look, and very specific looks go out of fashion inexorably. You're better off to go for more of a classic if you don't intend to upgrade later.

I completely support your decision not to upgrade down the track. However, opinions change. When I was engaged, I NEVER thought I'd upgrade - yet here we are. So make sure you go with a company with a good upgrade policy. And if you DO 'never upgrade', you really need to hit it out of the park first time - which brings us back to my first comment, which is that this is a purchase that needs to be made together.

This has to suit HER 100%. It really doesn't matter what you think of it. Involve her in the process; it's the best way of protecting your investment.

ETA Having said all of that...that Loupe Troop stone is a stunner for the price - what a deal!

Thanks for your advice Mrs. B, I have concerns about the Loupe Troop stone. Everyone here is recommending it as a stone that 2ct above with great cut and clarity. My issue is buying it with a "all sales are final" attachment. As a novice buyer it intimidates me dropping that much money on something I don't get to see in person and have no way of returning. Plus I can't help but feel "what's the catch?" Why would a diamond that is so nice be so cheap?

Would you recommend like other posters said go for a simpler band and just a bigger diamond then?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...t-j-color-vs2-clarity-gia-xxx-round-brilliant

What about this one in the preloved section? The numbers are the teeniest bit off compared to “super ideals” but still look good to me (although someone with more knowledge than me should chime in.) Also, not sure what color you are looking for since this might be a bit warm.
I just have some concern buying a diamond with 0 return policy. It raises a red flag that it has so many good specs but is then so cheap.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @shelstone - and welcome!

If you were to hang around here long enough, or check LoupeTroop regularly, you'd see that selling a diamond always incurs a loss. If you try to re-sell your diamond commercially, you'll take a hit of well over half the original value. There are people on this site who can tell you more accurately what the average loss is, so selling a stone like the one on LT at that price represents a FAR better deal for the seller than anything they might get, selling the same stone to a dealer. So - in essence - no catch. Most women here who offer a super bargain have their eye on something else, so are trying to push their sale over the line promptly, as they're under the gun, themselves. You see this here a LOT. What you DON'T see a lot is a stone up for sale that exactly matches your requirements, so this is a bit of a unicorn for you.

If you were interested in the stone, I'd ask for a 3 day inspection period, which would allow you to take the stone to an appraiser to check it out. If you really don't want to upgrade, an 'all sales are final' clause makes no difference at that point.

An even safer way, for both seller and buyer, to commit such a transaction is for the seller to ship the stone directly to the independent appraiser of your choice. That way, it doesn't enter your possession until it's verified. You keep your money until it's confirmed.

If, however, you decide you really don't want to go with the LT diamond...yes! Oh yes! DEFINITELY a simpler setting and a bigger diamond. Styles are definitely personal and all taste is subjective with no moral right or wrong. There are no absolutes in taste. Having said that, tho - and I mean this ENTIRELY personally, with all apologies to those with differing opinions - I think that Tiffany setting is hideous. It's SUCH a specific style, and you could go wrong on this so easily! On the other hand, men rarely ever fall foul when getting their girl a larger center stone.

But - seriously - do consider that LT stone. You see bargains - big, deep ones - on LT all the time. Hell, I've SOLD massive bargains! But you rarely see a perfect fit between 'what I'm selling + what you what to buy'. *That* match is unusual. And the extra half ct over and above what you were looking for is significant. Like - seriously.

Wishing you the very best of luck in this endeavor!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Hi @shelstone - and welcome!

If you were to hang around here long enough, or check LoupeTroop regularly, you'd see that selling a diamond always incurs a loss. If you try to re-sell your diamond commercially, you'll take a hit of well over half the original value. There are people on this site who can tell you more accurately what the average loss is, so selling a stone like the one on LT at that price represents a FAR better deal for the seller than anything they might get, selling the same stone to a dealer. So - in essence - no catch. Most women here who offer a super bargain have their eye on something else, so are trying to push their sale over the line promptly, as they're under the gun, themselves. You see this here a LOT. What you DON'T see a lot is a stone up for sale that exactly matches your requirements, so this is a bit of a unicorn for you.

If you were interested in the stone, I'd ask for a 3 day inspection period, which would allow you to take the stone to an appraiser to check it out. If you really don't want to upgrade, an 'all sales are final' clause makes no difference at that point.

An even safer way, for both seller and buyer, to commit such a transaction is for the seller to ship the stone directly to the independent appraiser of your choice. That way, it doesn't enter your possession until it's verified. You keep your money until it's confirmed.

If, however, you decide you really don't want to go with the LT diamond...yes! Oh yes! DEFINITELY a simpler setting and a bigger diamond. Styles are definitely personal and all taste is subjective with no moral right or wrong. There are no absolutes in taste. Having said that, tho - and I mean this ENTIRELY personally, with all apologies to those with differing opinions - I think that Tiffany setting is hideous. It's SUCH a specific style, and you could go wrong on this so easily! On the other hand, men rarely ever fall foul when getting their girl a larger center stone.

But - seriously - do consider that LT stone. You see bargains - big, deep ones - on LT all the time. Hell, I've SOLD massive bargains! But you rarely see a perfect fit between 'what I'm selling + what you what to buy'. *That* match is unusual. And the extra half ct over and above what you were looking for is significant. Like - seriously.

Wishing you the very best of luck in this endeavor!

I absolutely love your appraiser suggestion. I'll reach out to the seller to see if they are willing to make that kind move!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@shelstone -

I just read your post in response to CheeSauce, and I hope others will chime in. Truly - this is not a particularly unusual discount on LT. Just recently (say - in the last 2 weeks) I've seen a couple of stones sell on LT - BIG stones - with much deeper discounts than this. They were sold by long time PSers - people with whom everyone here would be familiar.

Please don't be scared off by a good deal; as I said above, there are a number of ways of protecting yourself.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love your appraiser suggestion. I'll reach out to the seller to see if they are willing to make that kind move!

Awesome! Fingers crossed!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I had no idea there was this loupe troop!
So I know everyone is hating me here, but why would you go so high on carat weight yet that far down the color scale?
And you expressed that you want this to be the forever ring... I do not think over the course of time she will be happy with an I or J color in a 2+ carat. I'm sorry.
I would go down in size if need be and do not go lower than H color. Also, if you are wanting to push for size, then you should consider an SI2. There are many horrible ones (I used to have one) and there are many good ones (I now have one). If you aren't comfortable with SI2 then stick with SI1.
So get the largest size you can in a well-cut (GIA 3x or better) stone that is not lower than H color and SI clarity (you pick).
As for the mounting, I am surprised as I imagine you and your girl are much younger than I am and that style (channel set) was very popular "back in the day". But you said you are certain of her wishes so you've got that handled... now it is about finding the diamond,
Discuss with whomever you purchase the mounting from how easy it is to size a channel set ring in the event the size isn't quite right or her finger changes over the course of time which happens. I know that channel sets are a little more temperamental.
Are you saying you wouldn’t recommend the LT ring even if it is 2.5 because of the J color?

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
@shelstone I agree with @mrs-b. I've only been on PS about a year, but I've seen some regulars sell at a steep discount over retail because they are ready to move on. In fact I've purchased a few of these "too good to be true" items and every transaction has been lovely. With a purchase as large as the one that you're contemplating, I would definitely want to go the appraiser route. It actually gives both parties comfort to have an independent third party assist with the transaction.

I would also make very certain that your intended is ok with a J color. The larger the stone, the more that the color will show. As others have said, the color is not bad or good--merely personal preference.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
@shelstone I agree with @mrs-b. I've only been on PS about a year, but I've seen some regulars sell at a steep discount over retail because they are ready to move on. In fact I've purchased a few of these "too good to be true" items and every transaction has been lovely. With a purchase as large as the one that you're contemplating, I would definitely want to go the appraiser route. It actually gives both parties comfort to have an independent third party assist with the transaction.

I would also make very certain that your intended is ok with a J color. The larger the stone, the more that the color will show. As others have said, the color is not bad or good--merely personal preference.
Thanks for the advice Miss Marpie. The difficulty here is I have such a lack of color sensitivity that it's hard for me to make a good decision. I've been in stores and to me the biggest wow factor was the size and the sparkle. I'd love to see that stone from LT compared to a H or a I to see if it makes sense to go down in size to make it more white.

Iwanttosparkle

Shiny_Rock
I just want to chime in about the setting. I personally would prefer the versatility and delicateness of a plain solitaire. Then I am free to mix and match with any wedding band or other stacking bands - think the birthstone of a future child, a milestone anniversary, etc. I wouldn't want to be locked in with an engagement ring that would only give me that one look. A lifetime is a long time to get tired of something that can only be worn one way.

That being said, if this is the setting she has her heart set on, then I would be very careful about color matching. If the diamonds in the channel set are whiter than the center stone then it will be a distraction. On a solitaire on a plain band, there are no other stones connected to it to compare it with. If you go with this setting or one similar, be sure that all diamonds are the same color grade, otherwise the center stone can look dingy.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I just want to chime in about the setting. I personally would prefer the versatility and delicateness of a plain solitaire. Then I am free to mix and match with any wedding band or other stacking bands - think the birthstone of a future child, a milestone anniversary, etc. I wouldn't want to be locked in with an engagement ring that would only give me that one look. A lifetime is a long time to get tired of something that can only be worn one way.

That being said, if this is the setting she has her heart set on, then I would be very careful about color matching. If the diamonds in the channel set are whiter than the center stone then it will be a distraction. On a solitaire on a plain band, there are no other stones connected to it to compare it with. If you go with this setting or one similar, be sure that all diamonds are the same color grade, otherwise the center stone can look dingy.

Thanks for the advice! I'm probably going to pivot on the setting on concentrate on stone using all the other poster's advice.

Right now I'm strongly considering the stone from LT https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...t-j-color-vs2-clarity-gia-xxx-round-brilliant

I think a stone that big would be better off on a plain solitaire.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I *really* think this is a purchase you need to do together. The setting you're looking at is....a whole lotta ring - and not to everyone's taste. Most women prefer a more delicate setting with a lot less metal. Your GF may have expressed an interest in a larger setting to compensate for a smaller stone - and for no other reason. A 2ct stone, however, can carry a ring with no need for support. Also, a more elegant engagement ring can get the same effect as the ring you're considering by adding a blingy diamond wedding band. That way she can mix and match and have more options. My sincerest opinion is that the Tiffany setting will date - and date FAST, since it already looks somewhat out of fashion to me. It's a very specific look, and very specific looks go out of fashion inexorably. You're better off to go for more of a classic if you don't intend to upgrade later.

I completely support your decision not to upgrade down the track. However, opinions change. When I was engaged, I NEVER thought I'd upgrade - yet here we are. So make sure you go with a company with a good upgrade policy. And if you DO 'never upgrade', you really need to hit it out of the park first time - which brings us back to my first comment, which is that this is a purchase that needs to be made together.

This has to suit HER 100%. It really doesn't matter what you think of it. Involve her in the process; it's the best way of protecting your investment.

ETA Having said all of that...that Loupe Troop stone is a stunner for the price - what a deal!

REALLY happy mrs-b posted this. I completely agree with regard to the more delicate mounting, a 2 ct having the ability to make a strong statement without adding an elaborate mounting (which you can always do later... right now put the $ into the stone given the size is really important, which we totally understand!). Also, I love mrs-b's suggestion about get a more basic solitaire now, and then getting a bling band to "bump it up" if she's wants and then she has the option of wearing together, wearing separate, etc. We all love options! I am glad I wasn't the only one that was intimating that the mounting you are focussed on might not be the best choice. I only hinted at that and I think mrs-b did as well that the Tiffany setting will date very fast... quite honestly and I truly mean no offense, I feel it has for years. I am quite shocked Tiffany still offers that style. That was a popular look when I got engaged 30 years ago. I suppose everything old is new again so please no offense intended. Whose to say I have any sense of taste. No one here knows me and knows my life and my home and my apparel and my other jewelry so I could have crappy taste by someone else's standards. But now that mrs-b echoed my sentiments i think she offered REALLY VALUABLE advice for you to think about.
ALSO, the stone being sold by a fellow PSer mentioned on Loupe Troupe would be a GREAT option and a steal if you are okay with J color. I didn't see the side views but from face up I was shocked it wasn't a higher color grade. I believe she will provide videos so you can get more views. And don't worry that it was previously loved. I hate to tell you but a GOOD amount of stones on the market were previously loved. For heaven's sake, I've already traded away 3 of them that came from a good home (mine!) in the context of a long-standing loving marriage so there doesn't have to be a stigma or superstition attached to it.
Also, I noticed the GIA report was extremely recent... just from this past December so you are getting the most up-to-date grading from GIA in their newer report format and I feel certain it was a recently cut stone as it most likely went straight to GIA for grading upon its completion of the cutting phase.
Oh, back to the mounting you like, as I mentioned previously, DO check with the vendor regarding the possibilities of resizing in the event it isn't a perfect fit from the get-go as well as long term down the road as women definitely (and men too!) can have ring size changes as we age. I believe there are limitations with regard to channel set stones given they are only being held there in the channel, no prongs. Also, please check to see if the channel set stones have any alterations made in the stones themselves to fit into grooves in the mounting. Some channel settings require this and if that's the case and you want to use those stones for something later on you may not be able.
If you decide to forego the channel set mounting and choose to go basic for now and blingy band later, keep that in mind with regard to whether a band will fit alongside the e-ring well.
So much to think about!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only way to know is to ask her. I would be ticked if someone told my guy to get a smaller stone with higher color and so he did that, without asking me first. I would MUCH prefer a bigger stone in a J color than a smaller H or G. But she might be different. So that's precisely why you need to get her input. Also, agree that the channel set Tiffany setting could be dated or not to her taste. I personally would rather have a solitaire (no side stones). Please ask her! It's very unlikely that the guy just picks the perfect ring without any input, it suits her perfectly, and she will love it forever.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea there was this loupe troop!
So I know everyone is hating me here, but why would you go so high on carat weight yet that far down the color scale?
And you expressed that you want this to be the forever ring... I do not think over the course of time she will be happy with an I or J color in a 2+ carat. I'm sorry.
I would go down in size if need be and do not go lower than H color. Also, if you are wanting to push for size, then you should consider an SI2. There are many horrible ones (I used to have one) and there are many good ones (I now have one). If you aren't comfortable with SI2 then stick with SI1.
So get the largest size you can in a well-cut (GIA 3x or better) stone that is not lower than H color and SI clarity (you pick).

Hmmm... I'll have to disagree. I have a 3.33 ct (9.8 mm) I/SI2 (eye clean) and I love it to pieces (see avatar)! There are MANY PS members who have larger stones (2+ ct) in I color -- some in the 4-5+ ct range!) and they love them. I's look very white to me, especially with fluorescence.

That said, the OP needs to find out how sensitive she is to color... and if an I is okay if it means hitting the 2 ct mark.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remember, a J colored stone is still a white stone. Here's 2 threads on 2 of the most glorious J colored stones on Pricescope. Not too shabby....

And just to add - both these diamonds are considerably bigger than the 2.5ct stone you're considering, so any color they have - you're going to see. @yssie's diamond was chosen because its specs EMPHASIZED its color - yet, despite this and its huge size, still an ostensibly white stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ty-4-01-j-vs1-in-erika-winters-margot.231053/

And here is @m-2-b's collection. These stones are all I colored - except for 1. Scroll down to the 15th post (each post is numbered in the top right corner) and you'll see a photo of I colored earrings and an I colored solitaire....and a J colored cushion set in a halo. It's a beautifully white stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-8ctw-whiteflash-aca-diamond-studs.226602/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this one was posted already or not...seems like this thread took a detour (color discussion).
This is an eye-clean "I" and hits the 2 carat mark. It is a good value because it just misses the ACA qualification but is still a really nice cut stone
(see the aset, idealscope images etc.) You can ask for additional pictures and talk to Whiteflash about the eye-cleanliness if you are concerned.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2936493.htm

I know you dont want to ever upgrade but this stone does have the Whiteflash upgrade policy should you/she ever change your mind.

Edit...I would agree with @Gussie and avoid custom if you can find the setting already made. Custom
can be daunting (just finished that process).

Wow!! I'd be all over this diamond!!!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
REALLY happy mrs-b posted this. I completely agree with regard to the more delicate mounting, a 2 ct having the ability to make a strong statement without adding an elaborate mounting (which you can always do later... right now put the $ into the stone given the size is really important, which we totally understand!). Also, I love mrs-b's suggestion about get a more basic solitaire now, and then getting a bling band to "bump it up" if she's wants and then she has the option of wearing together, wearing separate, etc. We all love options! I am glad I wasn't the only one that was intimating that the mounting you are focussed on might not be the best choice. I only hinted at that and I think mrs-b did as well that the Tiffany setting will date very fast... quite honestly and I truly mean no offense, I feel it has for years. I am quite shocked Tiffany still offers that style. That was a popular look when I got engaged 30 years ago. I suppose everything old is new again so please no offense intended. Whose to say I have any sense of taste. No one here knows me and knows my life and my home and my apparel and my other jewelry so I could have crappy taste by someone else's standards. But now that mrs-b echoed my sentiments i think she offered REALLY VALUABLE advice for you to think about.
ALSO, the stone being sold by a fellow PSer mentioned on Loupe Troupe would be a GREAT option and a steal if you are okay with J color. I didn't see the side views but from face up I was shocked it wasn't a higher color grade. I believe she will provide videos so you can get more views. And don't worry that it was previously loved. I hate to tell you but a GOOD amount of stones on the market were previously loved. For heaven's sake, I've already traded away 3 of them that came from a good home (mine!) in the context of a long-standing loving marriage so there doesn't have to be a stigma or superstition attached to it.
Also, I noticed the GIA report was extremely recent... just from this past December so you are getting the most up-to-date grading from GIA in their newer report format and I feel certain it was a recently cut stone as it most likely went straight to GIA for grading upon its completion of the cutting phase.
Oh, back to the mounting you like, as I mentioned previously, DO check with the vendor regarding the possibilities of resizing in the event it isn't a perfect fit from the get-go as well as long term down the road as women definitely (and men too!) can have ring size changes as we age. I believe there are limitations with regard to channel set stones given they are only being held there in the channel, no prongs. Also, please check to see if the channel set stones have any alterations made in the stones themselves to fit into grooves in the mounting. Some channel settings require this and if that's the case and you want to use those stones for something later on you may not be able.
If you decide to forego the channel set mounting and choose to go basic for now and blingy band later, keep that in mind with regard to whether a band will fit alongside the e-ring well.
So much to think about!

I really appreciate the feedback from the community!

I've honestly been going back and forth on it in terms of setting but I feel if I end up with the LT ring the stone is so beautiful I'll let it speak for itself like other posters suggested.

I absolutely feel no stigma or superstition especially if I'm taking the diamond and making it my own ring, that doesn't bother me one bit. The color also isn't a concern to me when looking at the videos and pictures. I just think for feeling my own sanity and comfort I'd feel better having a 3rd party person handle the transaction!

lol you arent't kidding in terms of so much to think about, 6 prong vs 4 prong? Platinum vs white gold. This is no joke.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add that my last diamond was a 2.43 J with almost the exact same spread as the one on LT at 8.7 mm. I had it set in a halo, so that the side view wasn't really visible. This totally camouflaged any tint, as it was really white FACE UP. That said, I would not recommend a J for a solitaire or with any setting that allowed side view of the stone. HOWEVER, if your intended knew she may be able to rock a 2.5 ct stone... she may be willing to overlook the very small tint from the side -- I know I would if in the same situation.

OP, this is really a conversation you need to have with your FF... after 9 years, you two can discuss this. Don't worry about the "surprise element"... she'll be PLENTY surprised to know that she has a 2 - 2.5 ct diamonds for consideration!!

Also, please make 110% sure she wants that setting. It's fine if she does -- get her what she loves. But please, please, PLEASE don't surprise her with it, as the style might be seen as a bit dated and bulkier than is in fashion right now.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Just remember, a J colored stone is still a white stone. Here's 2 threads on 2 of the most glorious J colored stones on Pricescope. Not too shabby....

And just to add - both these diamonds are considerably bigger than the 2.5ct stone you're considering, so any color they have - you're going to see. @yssie's diamond was chosen because its specs EMPHASIZED its color - yet, despite this and its huge size, still an ostensibly white stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ty-4-01-j-vs1-in-erika-winters-margot.231053/

And here is @m-2-b's collection. These stones are all I colored - except for 1. Scroll down to the 15th post (each post is numbered in the top right corner) and you'll see a photo of I colored earrings and an I colored solitaire....and a J colored cushion set in a halo. It's a beautifully white stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-4-8ctw-whiteflash-aca-diamond-studs.226602/

Those look amazing Mrs.B, thanks for the threads really good insight! I have 0 color sensitivity and to me those all look fantastic, so I don't worry about the J for the LT ring. I know she doesn't much about the 4 c's besides what they stand for and shes trusting me to make a good decision. I feel like this stone brings a lot of wow that the color doesn't take away from.

Haha I hate how much I now want the LT cause my usual luck in this scenario is it will now be sold or no flexibility with the 3rd party appraiser. So thanks for that : P

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why this one specifically?

2+ ct and I color... eye clean... in budget... WF vetted, WF upgrade program (if needed - I know you said no upgrades, but so did a LOT of the guys and gals on the forum!!) ;-)

But I'd still talk with your FF about that 2.5 J on LT -- that's a freaking steal.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look amazing Mrs.B, thanks for the threads really good insight! I have 0 color sensitivity and to me those all look fantastic, so I don't worry about the J for the LT ring. I know she doesn't much about the 4 c's besides what they stand for and shes trusting me to make a good decision. I feel like this stone brings a lot of wow that the color doesn't take away from.

Haha I hate how much I now want the LT cause my usual luck in this scenario is it will now be sold or no flexibility with the 3rd party appraiser. So thanks for that : P

Take her to a local jeweler who carries GIA graded stones and have her look at J colored stones as close to the 2.5 ct range as possible. If she's good, you're golden with the LT stone. But don't waste time - that is a great deal and will be gone quickly I'd imagine.

Also, please ask her about settings. And unless she specifies which wedding band she'd like, I'd go to pick them out together.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I wanted to add that my last diamond was a 2.43 J with almost the exact same spread as the one on LT at 8.7 mm. I had it set in a halo, so that the side view wasn't really visible. This totally camouflaged any tint, as it was really white FACE UP. That said, I would not recommend a J for a solitaire or with any setting that allowed side view of the stone. HOWEVER, if your intended knew she may be able to rock a 2.5 ct stone... she may be willing to overlook the very small tint from the side -- I know I would if in the same situation.

OP, this is really a conversation you need to have with your FF... after 9 years, you two can discuss this. Don't worry about the "surprise element"... she'll be PLENTY surprised to know that she has a 2 - 2.5 ct diamonds for consideration!!

Also, please make 110% sure she wants that setting. It's fine if she does -- get her what she loves. But please, please, PLEASE don't surprise her with it, as the style might be seen as a bit dated and bulkier than is in fashion right now.
I think her ignorance will be bliss in this situation. She doesn't know the 4 C's besides what tehy stand for, but she like everyone else definitely knows size and sparkle. I think looking at the pictures and videos the diamond does the most important things we are looking for.

In terms of setting I feel like the whole community made valuable points and that going simple especially with a diamond that size is the way to go!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My old 2.43 J... I chose this photo specifically, because this is as tinted as it ever looked.

msop04_profile.jpg

shelstone

Rough_Rock
2+ ct and I color... eye clean... in budget... WF vetted, WF upgrade program (if needed - I know you said no upgrades, but so did a LOT of the guys and gals on the forum!!) ;-)

But I'd still talk with your FF about that 2.5 J on LT -- that's a freaking steal.
Thanks for adding to my anxiety and making me want this stone more lol. I am waiting on the seller to reach back to me to see if they'd be okay with working with a 3rd party appraiser! As I've said earlier knowing my luck it has been bought in the last hour.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think her ignorance will be bliss in this situation. She doesn't know the 4 C's besides what tehy stand for, but she like everyone else definitely knows size and sparkle. I think looking at the pictures and videos the diamond does the most important things we are looking for.

In terms of setting I feel like the whole community made valuable points and that going simple especially with a diamond that size is the way to go!

That sounds like a winner then!!! Message about the LT 2.5 stone now!!
Have it set in an Adwar/Stuller solitaire like this... It's lovely and super close to the Tiffany solitaire... on a budget. ;-)

Adwar 26306L Tiff Repro CAD.jpg

shelstone

Rough_Rock
My old 2.43 J... I chose this photo specifically, because this is as tinted as it ever looked.

msop04_profile.jpg

This just further drives the point to me that theJ is a non issue. Obviously I don't have my girlfriends eyes but I know that she won't be dissecting it to the degree we are on here.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for adding to my anxiety and making me want this stone more lol. I am waiting on the seller to reach back to me to see if they'd be okay with working with a 3rd party appraiser! As I've said earlier knowing my luck it has been bought in the last hour.

I think your FF will be freaking FLOORED by that 2.5 J stone, honestly. Lots of words have been used to describe my old J stone, and not one of them was yellow! LOL She'll be blown away by the size and sparkle. Actually, the current setting is really pretty, but I'd want a 6 prong on that big boy!

ETA: OOPS! Just saw that the setting wasn't included... no matter, platinum solitaire settings can be had for >$1000.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just further drives the point to me that theJ is a non issue. Obviously I don't have my girlfriends eyes but I know that she won't be dissecting it to the degree we are on here.

Can you take her to look at some J stones locally ASAP -- just to be sure, as LT sales are usually final.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
That sounds like a winner then!!! Message about the LT 2.5 stone now!!
Have it set in an Adwar/Stuller solitaire like this... It's lovely and super close to the Tiffany solitaire... on a budget. ;-)

Adwar 26306L Tiff Repro CAD.jpg
I've messaged the seller on LT and on pricescope, fingers crossed at this point. Do you have a link to the site and setting, I'd really appreciate it!

The original stone was set in a 4 prong but I 've always liked how 6 prong made the stone seem rounder. That and platinum vs white gold will be a whole other debate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results