shape
carat
color
clarity

My new beauty - 4.01 J VS1 in Erika Winters' Margot

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of years ago I re-purposed my engagement stone for a pair of studs, which left me without a diamond centerpiece ring. I'd initially thought I wouldn't miss having one, as I so rarely wore the one I'd had, but my feelings on not having that solitaire-style cornerstone in the jewellery box shifted quickly! A few months later I bought a 3.5ct K - a beautiful stone but not quite right for me, and I took PS advice to return and start again.

I knew I wanted a 10mm stone. I knew I wanted a J to match my studs. I didn't know that somewhere around the 4ct bound it apparently becomes exponentially more difficult to find well-cut lower-colour stones!! Dearest Grace (of JbG) chased a stone from virtual inventory around the globe for several weeks for me, to no avail... I then reached out to a couple of vendors about having one custom cut: the pricing in both cases was very fair but I wanted a higher crown/shorter main combo than those vendors' signature line standards permit. A couple more weeks passed, I made no more progress, and I resigned myself to possibly waiting several months... and this specimen popped up in Blue Nile's listings the next morning; one last sanity check with Grace, and I pounced ::)

I'd call this stone the quintessential near-H&A. I can see slight deviations in optical symmetry in-person under the scope, but she's such a firecracker!! I'd have loved to not have to choose between my preferred proportions and precision-cutting though... maybe one day!

GIA 4.01 J VS1, EX/EX/EX
10.04 x 10.11 mm
56/62.9, 36.5/40.6, LGF 75
No fluor

(H&A pics not from BN)
HA.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2A.png

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2B.png

2C.png

2D.png

2E.png

2F.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always had good experiences with BN and this purchase was no exception! I was a bundle of nerves waiting for confirmation that this stone, unlike the first one I'd fallen for, was actually available - my rep was very understanding and sent updates frequently and without prompting. Shipping was complicated as travel meant the stone had to arrive at a specific location at a specific time - BN altered and upgraded shipping last-minute to adjust for changes in my schedule. After spending several weeks with it loose I thought I'd like to have it set into a temp whilst deciding on a final setting - BN had it set into their six-prong Petite Nouveau and finished with claw prongs exactly as I'd requested and returned to me within days, and generously took care of shipping both ways ::)

Sadly one of my critters ate my SD card :nono: so all I've got are three undeservedly-sub-par phone pics of the setting and one deservedly-sub-par phone pic of the (presumed) guilty party...

1_BN_1.png

1_BN_2.png

1_BN_3.png

1_BN_4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went straight to Erika for my final setting. I wanted a designer whose vision and execution I could rely on without question or concern, and after working with her on my earrings I knew the project would be in good hands with her :praise:

I've been hoarding pictures of Erika's Margot since its release and mol42's upgrade has been the stuff of happy daydreams since she shared it with us here on PS :love: I had a very specific "look" in mind for this piece: large center flanked by accent-sized sidestones, and I'd already bought said sides, and discussion started down the custom Margot-inspired three-stone path. Over the course of several emails it became clear, however, that the aesthetic I wanted - specifically no overhang of center + sides past finger width - was simply not possible :blackeye: Erika called it a 'stones-to-finger size problem' that no amount of fiddling with design or sidestone angle and "tuck" was going to resolve. And if Erika didn't think it was possible... well, it just wasn't going to be possible!

At that point my choices were to move forward with a custom three-stone with unpredictable look and feel or change direction. Taking on a very pricey custom project without a clear end state just wasn't an option, much as part of me wanted to anyway... and with that decision made it was easy to move forward!! And now, having had my ring for a few weeks, I know I made the right decision ::) Working with Erika was every bit as easy as I'd remembered: she's creative and detail-oriented, communication was clear, speedy, and thorough, and the finish is loupe-clean :love:

PT 950/Ru

Some of Erika's gorgeous photos first :love:
The Imogen is not mine, sadly!

Erika_1.png

Erika_2.png

Erika_3.png

Erika_4.png

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh... that stone is GORGEOUS :appl::appl::appl: Wow, what a stunner indeed!!!!! Simply outstanding!! The precision of the setting's workmanship is do die for too. Wow :mrgreen:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my deluge ::)
... I just noticed that I chose exactly the same flowers in exactly the same colours for my backgrounds of loose and set, a full year apart. I'm consistent with myself at least? :halo:

F_A1.png

F_A2.png

F_A3.png

F_A4.png

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie - I've missed you! I just knew you'd be back when you had your ring completed though - and I knew you wouldn't post it until you had some drop dead pictures that satisfied you - lol! I knew the wait would be worth it too - your ring is just gorgeous! I love the eight prongs - that matches your earrings, right? It is delicate yet substantial and looks stunning on your finger! Hope you have lots more pictures for us and congrats on getting the stone and setting just perfect for you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F_B1.png

F_B2.png

F_B3.png

F_B4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F_C1.png

F_C2.png

F_C3.png

F_C4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F_D1.png

F_D2.png

F_D3.png

F_D4.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went with a high-polish finish but I wanted a little of Erika's signature brushed finish somewhere... That the shields are finished differently is entirely unnoticeable in-person unless you're looking for it and I adore this little detail :love:

Shields.png

And this I couldn't help but laugh at! After all that exacting attention to detail, interior and exterior... here's the marker's mark. It didn't occur to me that she might not use a fancy monogram - and its absence is somehow completely endearing ::)

MarkersMark.png

One last one of my EW staples. Studs are 5.4ctw J RBs in Grace-inspired custom settings: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nters-jewels-by-grace-custom-settings.215121/

Suite.png

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One word - EXQUISITE! :love::appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. She looks perfect yssie. You and Erika work together like a hand in a glove. The results are stunning. And I just LOVE the high gloss finish. I think that was what wasn't working for me on her pieces. Beautiful in pictures but wasn't for me IRL. Now this makes it just perfect. And love her prongs on this Margot. Ugh. Perfect. Geez did I mention that already?? And I think you need to get the imogen too. Mad photography skillzzzz!! Both of you evil enablers. :twisted: I was not an 8 prong girl...until now????

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow... that's all I can muster right now :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY GOODNESS :love: That is amazing and the setting is ridiculously perfect. Your photos are wonderful too. Please post loads more. I could look at that beauty for hours

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm speechless. I love your stone, setting, earrings.. I love the setting. It's beautiful.. truly truly exquisite. :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow....Drop. Dead. GORGEOUS!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::lickout::lickout::lickout::appl::appl:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! That's what I said as I showed each picture to my DH. Its beautiful!!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring! And I have always LOVED your studs! Congrats!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!. Congrats!, beautiful ring! love the proportions! ..:love::clap:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yssie, it is such a a gorgeous ring!!! :love::love::love::love::love: Amazing setting and big beautiful diamond, a true dream ring!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny - Thank you!! Erika's workmanship really is spectacular - I just love the combination of precise execution and antique-y style!!

MGR - It has been too long - I've missed everyone!! And I have so much to catch up on!

Thank you love ::) The studs and the ring really do go so well together, even though they aren't the same style - the earrings are my daily go-tos and I find myself reaching for the ring just to know I'm wearing the "full set" even though I'm really not a solitaire-every-day sort of person!

Pieces enabling each other. That's a new one :lol:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She is a beauty and the setting is just perfect!

Your pup is adorable too!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love it! I tried the Margot in person last week in SF - it is absolutely a gorgeous setting! Your ring is one of my favorites!!!
You know, until you posted the watermark of EW, I hadn't thought to check my ring for it, lol! Now I am excited to be on the 8 prong bandwagon as well!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to see you back around these parts again, Yssie! When you do make an appearance, you make it with a BANG!:wavey:

It was well worth the wait to see this gorgeous rendition of the Margot!:love: (Always LOVE your pics, BTW!) It fits in beautifully with your EW studs--the perfect trifecta!!!:clap:

More pics of your collection, please!:cheeky:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny - Thank you!! Erika's workmanship really is spectacular - I just love the combination of precise execution and antique-y style!!

MGR - It has been too long - I've missed everyone!! And I have so much to catch up on!

Thank you love ::) The studs and the ring really do go so well together, even though they aren't the same style - the earrings are my daily go-tos and I find myself reaching for the ring just to know I'm wearing the "full set" even though I'm really not a solitaire-every-day sort of person!

Pieces enabling each other. That's a new one :lol:[/QUOTE]

Oh, but think of the possibilities!! Lol!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Holy F$%&*! That ring is sheer perfection!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Omg Yssie!!! Ring after my own heart-- your stone is gorgeous and THE perfect size. It's all beautiful-- the stone, the setting, the workmanship, your hands, your photography skills. Uh-mazing.:love::appl:
Do you miss a 3 stone or having side stones? I had always been a 3 stone girl until Margot and then discovered I really love a beautiful solitaire.
Enjoy and wear her in good health and happiness!:wavey:

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
Not even when I dream of perfect jewellery, do I dream anything like your new ring. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results