shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a eye clean 2ct within my budget?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've messaged the seller on LT and on pricescope, fingers crossed at this point. Do you have a link to the site and setting, I'd really appreciate it!

The original stone was set in a 4 prong but I 've always liked how 6 prong made the stone seem rounder. That and platinum vs white gold will be a whole other debate.

That's an Adwar setting... let me see if I can find it. Your jeweler would order it for you, if they have an account with them. I'll also post some links to various Stuller settings. What metal does she want? Platinum (which I recommend in a solitaire), white gold, or yellow gold?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another J. It is white enough for me. I usually only notice the color in pictures.

20190317_134653.jpg 20190307_163211.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adwar - this is the set, but you can have them just do the ering setting
https://www.adwar.com/products/styles/26305L/view
26305L.jpg

shelstone

Rough_Rock
The only way to know is to ask her. I would be ticked if someone told my guy to get a smaller stone with higher color and so he did that, without asking me first. I would MUCH prefer a bigger stone in a J color than a smaller H or G. But she might be different. So that's precisely why you need to get her input. Also, agree that the channel set Tiffany setting could be dated or not to her taste. I personally would rather have a solitaire (no side stones). Please ask her! It's very unlikely that the guy just picks the perfect ring without any input, it suits her perfectly, and she will love it forever.
Thanks for the sound advice! I am leaning towards the bigger stone myself and I have been thoroughly convinced by the community not to go the channel route haha so I appreciate it!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Here's another J. It is white enough for me. I usually only notice the color in pictures.

20190317_134653.jpg 20190307_163211.jpg

Same here Gussie J is totally fine with me especially when I consider all the other factors for the LT stone!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
That's an Adwar setting... let me see if I can find it. Your jeweler would order it for you, if they have an account with them. I'll also post some links to various Stuller settings. What metal does she want? Platinum (which I recommend in a solitaire), white gold, or yellow gold?
I Know she'd white over yellow 100%, as for platinum or white gold I don't think it would matter to her as much. The responsibility has been put largely on me to get this done which is how we both wanted it. Why would you recommend platinum if you don't mind me asking?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Can we all collectively message the seller and make that magic happen? :Dkidding (but also really hoping she replies soon)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I Know she'd white over yellow 100%, as for platinum or white gold I don't think it would matter to her as much. The responsibility has been put largely on me to get this done which is how we both wanted it. Why would you recommend platinum if you don't mind me asking?

Platinum is heavier (which is important in a solitaire, IMO)... also, you don't have to replate, and it doesn't lose metal after being polished over the years.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum is heavier (which is important in a solitaire, IMO)... also, you don't have to replate, and it doesn't lose metal after being polished over the years.

This, completely. It's also a more rare metal, so has a greater luxury value. The added weight is nice also - you can actually feel that you're wearing it. :))

shelstone

Rough_Rock
This, completely. It's also a more rare metal, so has a greater luxury value. The added weight is nice also - you can actually feel that you're wearing it. :))

Is the 2.5ct not heavy enough : P. Kidding I really appreciate the feedback! Never worn rings myself I love getting reviews from people that have experience with this sort of thing.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...t-j-color-vs2-clarity-gia-xxx-round-brilliant

What about this one in the preloved section? The numbers are the teeniest bit off compared to “super ideals” but still look good to me (although someone with more knowledge than me should chime in.) Also, not sure what color you are looking for since this might be a bit warm.
Thanks for being the original person to recommend the ring haha. Wanted to give you a shout out because this is exactly what I am now leaning towards!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so excited for you and her!!! This is a great deal and huge!!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I am so excited for you and her!!! This is a great deal and huge!!
Dont do that Gussie the seller hasn’t replied yet and with my luck it’s been sold in the last hour, but I’m also reallllly excited at the possibility!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
I think your FF will be freaking FLOORED by that 2.5 J stone, honestly. Lots of words have been used to describe my old J stone, and not one of them was yellow! LOL She'll be blown away by the size and sparkle. Actually, the current setting is really pretty, but I'd want a 6 prong on that big boy!

ETA: OOPS! Just saw that the setting wasn't included... no matter, platinum solitaire settings can be had for >$1000.
Another question I had why would you prefer to see it in a 6 prong vs a 4?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a 2+ carat stone, go with 6 prongs. More secure first and foremost, and also makes the stone look bigger and rounder.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Oooohhhhh - HALLO BEAUTIFUL!
Do you like the stuller out of all the optons msop04 showed? And do you also agree taht 6 prong is the way to go with this diamond over 4?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
For a 2+ carat stone, go with 6 prongs. More secure first and foremost, and also makes the stone look bigger and rounder.
Thanks Laila I know my girlfriend and I both liked the look of 6 prong more anyway so that is an easy choice but I love hearing the opinions!

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Gosh, I'm soooo excited -- it's like it's for me or something! LOL
Lol This whole thread has been a exhilarating experience. Way more fun than doing the in person diamond shopping experience. Really hoping the seller contacts me soon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like the stuller out of all the optons msop04 showed? And do you also agree taht 6 prong is the way to go with this diamond over 4?

I know you asked @mrs-b, but I'll weigh in... The Stuller setting looks so fluid and luxe! I love all of them, but if I had to rank them (for me, anyway), it would be:

TIED for FIRST:
https://www.adwar.com/products/styles/26305L/view (because I love a nice softened knife edge)
https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...mmendationSource=SiteSearch#/mounting-options (because... well, duh... it's soooo luxurious looking!)

Then the other Adwar... a distant second, IMO.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol This whole thread has been a exhilarating experience. Way more fun than doing the in person diamond shopping experience. Really hoping the seller contacts me soon

I hope so too, OP... I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are rooting for you to snatch the 2.5 J stone!!!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
OP, I happen to know that the seller is local to me in the San Francisco Bay Area. Are you in this area? If so, I would recommend going to a local jeweler to confirm the stats- I chatted with her about the stone a couple of months back, she is not in a hurry and wants it to go to a good home. My home would be its home but I am not a MRB girl. Lucky for your future fiancé though!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay... after thinking about it, I like the Adwar one best... The softened knife edge and tab prongs are beautiful (I'm a little biased), and it looks a lot like the original Tiffany soli. The knife edge will give the appearance of a thinner band, but with added security and heft in the height. It also has a small basket for a more flush fit than the Stuller. The Stuller's prongs go all the way down to the base, making it more likely to damage a wedding band. Just my 0.02... can't go wrong with either.

shelstone

Rough_Rock
OP, I happen to know that the seller is local to me in the San Francisco Bay Area. Are you in this area? If so, I would recommend going to a local jeweler to confirm the stats- I chatted with her about the stone a couple of months back, she is not in a hurry and wants it to go to a good home. My home would be its home but I am not a MRB girl. Lucky for your future fiancé though!
Hi Linsf, thanks for chiming in! I'm actually located in the Houston area so unfortunately a bit farther away. I would love to get this purchase done through a 3rd party appraiser and I'm unsure I'd be comfortable doing it any other way.

Hopefully I can provide the good home she is looking for :D. What's a MRB ?

shelstone

Rough_Rock
Okay... after thinking about it, I like the Adwar one best... The softened knife edge and tab prongs are beautiful (I'm a little biased), and it looks a lot like the original Tiffany soli. The knife edge will give the appearance of a thinner band, but with added security and heft in the height. It also has a small basket for a more flush fit than the Stuller. The Stuller's prongs go all the way down to the base, making it more likely to damage a wedding band. Just my 0.02... can't go wrong with either.
Thanks for all the support haha you guys will now be getting updates to the journey for sure!

Damn I was looking at both settings and I think I like the stuller more. I like how the base of the diamond is more exposed at the bottom and the prongs appear to be more sleek to me. To be honest I've also had their spinny 360 video on my screen for the last 30 mins so there might be some subliminal messaging here that has taken root .

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
Hi Linsf, thanks for chiming in! I'm actually located in the Houston area so unfortunately a bit farther away. I would love to get this purchase done through a 3rd party appraiser and I'm unsure I'd be comfortable doing it any other way.

Hopefully I can provide the good home she is looking for :D. What's a MRB ?
MRB = modern round brilliant. If you are in the Houston area, maybe you should make an appointment with Whiteflash or Brian Gavin, they are both in Houston. I agree with all the preloved stone is a great deal but I also agree with most that looking at different colors to ensure yours and your FFs color tolerance is a good idea. Besides looking at beautiful jewelry is never a bad thing :roll2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the support haha you guys will now be getting updates to the journey for sure!

Damn I was looking at both settings and I think I like the stuller more. I like how the base of the diamond is more exposed at the bottom and the prongs appear to be more sleek to me. To be honest I've also had their spinny 360 video on my screen for the last 30 mins so there might be some subliminal messaging here that has taken root .

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either... I cannot wait to see this ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results