shape
carat
color
clarity

I found my Unicorn 4.11 ct OEC due to the Magic of Pricescope

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one killer OEC. I freaking adore the faceting and it’s huge! This is going to be an incredible ring. :kiss2:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much @elle_71125 ! I literally can't wait until she is set. How did you ever wait so long for your beauty, Clover?! I'm chomping at the bit...:lol-2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @elle_71125 ! I literally can't wait until she is set. How did you ever wait so long for your beauty, Clover?! I'm chomping at the bit...:lol-2:

Oh, I wanted it bad! It just took me forever to fall in love with a setting idea. :lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Well, looks like Clover was worth the wait! I think I know what I want-now I just need to get it made :loopy:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That stone is oec perfection. I love the petals and large culet! I think your setting idea is beautiful, I'm a HUGE art deco fan. I like that the halo is thin ... just a sparkly frame... with a large stone it's easy to get into "over the top" territory. Can't wait to see it finished and congrats on such a fantastic rock!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @CHRISTY-DANIELLE ! Your ring is just exquisite.

Out of all the OEC threads I poured over, I related to yours the most. I think you said something like, ‘I thought this search was supposed to be fun.’

You inspired me to stick it out and I’m so glad that I did! I hope that I can get this gal in a set in a pretty dress soon :)

Q

Queenie60

Beautiful stone. Can't wait to see how it's set.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@MiniMinerva aw thanks! You always say the nicest things :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone. Can't wait to see how it's set.

@Queenie60 thank you! Btw, the pup in your profile pic is the cutest. I have a one year old Havanese that looked a lot like your cutie when she was a pup :)

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@lulu_ma - from your extensive research, what cut parameters produce flowery patterns and of course with lots of fire? Thanks.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Dmndsr4evr11 there is no easy answer and I am not an expert!

Unfortunately, finding a beautiful OEC is more of an art than a science. Unlike, MRBs the GIA reports on OECs only list table% and depth%-no crown angle or pavilion angle. Since these stones were mostly hand cut, there doesn't seem to be any straight forward cut guidelines.

Depth is usually a factor for fire-I think the experts generally like to see a depth of btw 62-65%. Stone below or above that range can have fish eyes etc. But there are exceptions. For instance, my stone is only 53.7% deep, but it doesn't have a fish eye. This is one of the reasons that I call her a unicorn.

In terms of flowery patterns, you really need to see videos and then evaluate the stone in person. Even if a stone has beautiful petals, too many petals may turn off at once. Here's an example of a stone that seemed great on paper. Beautiful petals, but too many turned off at once.

I think you need patience (not my strong suit) and a little bit of luck to find a beautiful OEC. Over the course of my search I contacted all the major OEC players trying to find the right stone-even Alex Park. He told me that he didn't get OECs often because the well cut ones were getting increasingly hard to find. And, then 3 weeks later he listed my stone! And Based on paper alone, I would have probably eliminated my stone. But I was hooked when I saw the videos.

I hope other much more knowledge PS'ers chime in. @missy @prs any words of wisdom?

p.s. GIA will only classify a stone as an OEC if it hits at least 3 these criteria:
  • Table size: less than or equal to 53 percent
  • Crown angle: greater than or equal to 40 degrees
  • Lower half facet length: less than or equal to 60 percent
  • Culet size: slightly large or larger
But some beautiful stones may be classified as Circular Brillants-like transitionals.

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

Unfortunately, finding a beautiful OEC is more of an art than a science. Unlike, MRBs the GIA reports on OECs only list table% and depth%-no crown angle or pavilion angle. Since these stones were mostly hand cut, there doesn't seem to be any straight forward cut guidelines.

Depth is usually a factor for fire-I think the experts generally like to see a depth of btw 62-65%. Stone below or above that range can have fish eyes etc. But there are exceptions. For instance, my stone is only 53.7% deep, but it doesn't have a fish eye. This is one of the reasons that I call her a unicorn.

In terms of flowery patterns, you really need to see videos and then evaluate the stone in person. Even if a stone has beautiful petals, too many petals may turn off at once. Here's an example of a stone that seemed great on paper. Beautiful petals, but too many turned off at once.

I think you need patience (not my strong suit) and a little bit of luck to find a beautiful OEC. Over the course of my search I contacted all the major OEC players trying to find the right stone-even Alex Park. He told me that he didn't get OECs often because the well cut ones were getting increasingly hard to find. And, then 3 weeks later he listed my stone! And Based on paper alone, I would have probably eliminated my stone. But I was hooked when I saw the videos.

I hope other much more knowledge PS'ers chime in. @missy @prs any words of wisdom?

p.s. GIA will only classify a stone as an OEC if it hits at least 3 these criteria:
But some beautiful stones may be classified as Circular Brillants-like transitionals.

Thanks, @lulu_ma. Yep. My itty bitty 0.60 is a circular brilliant I was lucky to have @Dee*Jay look at in person as she was picking up her beautiful big Blue.

I hear you about seeing a video of a stone as I rushed to post it for you without even seeing the GIA certificate as it looked beautiful and the size you were looking for. I’d love to really see them in person though. I wish there are places nearby where I can see good ones. Maybe I’ll try to visit Adam’s store at the end of next month.
Have you decided on a setting?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to the party, but I wanted to say HOLY SMOKES!!! That is a glorious diamond ring!!!!!

You found a winner!!!

Enjoy!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors thank you! I hope that things are getting closer to normal for you and that your repairs are under way:pray:

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Dmndsr4evr11 still tweaking the halo design...

If you get to OWD, I hope you post pics! I'm still hoping to get there this Summer. Are you just researching or do you have an ideal size in mind?:lol:

secretagentdee

Rough_Rock
Wow what a beauty! Enjoy every blingy moment:)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:o:love:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I might have to try that on for a wee moment once it's set?

lindy520

Rough_Rock
+1 on the Magic of Pricescope.
Just reading your thread today; SO FUN! Congratulations! I love your research (girl after my own heart...) I know exactly what you mean by shakey hands! After months of searching, once you find the right one, you just feel so LUCKY!!! It's almost humbling...like, is this really mine???

I bought my OEC pre-set in a circa 1930's setting. Funny, but although I really wanted something simpler, the diamond is so at home in the setting that I decided to leave her in it! I can't wait to see yours on your hand!

And, all the best to you and your hubby on the upcoming anniversary.:kiss2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@lulu_ma I'm hesitant to take a detour on a thread dedicated to your gorgeous new diamond, but given you did ask. Here's an image taken from the GIA website. It shows what GIA considers to be the patterns typical of their three types of round diamonds.

GIA Round Diamond Facet Pattern Comparison Photo.png

The Old European designation has the smallest table and more of a pinwheel pattern. The Circular Brilliant has a larger table and longer lower half facets that create the flower petal pattern. It is possible to have a flower pattern with an Old European but the table and lowers have to be at the limits of those allowable by GIA for that designation.

In the above Old Euro photo you can see the tips of some of the lowers just starting to peek out from under the table. These will become more visible as the diamond is tilted backwards and forwards. This appearance and disappearance of the pattern can be beautiful and mesmerizing.

The trade seems to use the term "Old European" for both GIA designated Circular Brilliants and Old Europeans. You won't know which one you are getting until you look at the GIA cert. As far as I can tell there is no difference in pricing between the two designations. There is no "best" pattern, it's all down to personal preference.

As to what cut gives the most sparkle? Well that topic would need a thread of its own, but given we don't get the cut information on these GIA certs, it might not be of much use. You pretty much have to learn how to recognize a good cut by eye!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
+1 on the Magic of Pricescope.
Just reading your thread today; SO FUN! Congratulations! I love your research (girl after my own heart...) I know exactly what you mean by shakey hands! After months of searching, once you find the right one, you just feel so LUCKY!!! It's almost humbling...like, is this really mine???

I bought my OEC pre-set in a circa 1930's setting. Funny, but although I really wanted something simpler, the diamond is so at home in the setting that I decided to leave her in it! I can't wait to see yours on your hand!

And, all the best to you and your hubby on the upcoming anniversary.:kiss2:

Thanks @lindy520 ! And I loved your OEC post. You ended up with a such a beautiful OP and setting! And thanks for your anniversary wishes-I'm hoping the ring will be done before the anniversary:appl:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@lulu_ma I'm hesitant to take a detour on a thread dedicated to your gorgeous new diamond, but given you did ask. Here's an image taken from the GIA website. It shows what GIA considers to be the patterns typical of their three types of round diamonds.

GIA Round Diamond Facet Pattern Comparison Photo.png

The Old European designation has the smallest table and more of a pinwheel pattern. The Circular Brilliant has a larger table and longer lower half facets that create the flower petal pattern. It is possible to have a flower pattern with an Old European but the table and lowers have to be at the limits of those allowable by GIA for that designation.

In the above Old Euro photo you can see the tips of some of the lowers just starting to peek out from under the table. These will become more visible as the diamond is tilted backwards and forwards. This appearance and disappearance of the pattern can be beautiful and mesmerizing.

The trade seems to use the term "Old European" for both GIA designated Circular Brilliants and Old Europeans. You won't know which one you are getting until you look at the GIA cert. As far as I can tell there is no difference in pricing between the two designations. There is no "best" pattern, it's all down to personal preference.

As to what cut gives the most sparkle? Well that topic would need a thread of its own, but given we don't get the cut information on these GIA certs, it might not be of much use. You pretty much have to learn how to recognize a good cut by eye!

Thanks @prs ! I knew you would have the best technical answer!:D

Reactions: prs

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
:wavey:@MiniMinerva aw thanks!;)2 (we really need more emoji options :lol:)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@Dmndsr4evr11 still tweaking the halo design...

If you get to OWD, I hope you post pics! I'm still hoping to get there this Summer. Are you just researching or do you have an ideal size in mind?:lol:
Just looking around for now. Hope to see good ones in person. It’s really so much easier to buy an ACA. You can trust it will be a top notch stone without having to see it in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results