How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is absolutely gorgeous. Those flashes of green and blue :love:
I am so glad you love it.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom. That means a lot coming from you. Me too! I took a deep breath before opening the box since I've had several "learning stones" along the way; I'm thankful for every experience though because it's helped me learn something.

Here's a still from a video I sent a dear friend. :love:

A big thank you to everyone who has offered their honest thoughts and opinions along the way. I know it may have seemed scatter-brained at times, so I thank you for sticking with me. It's very much appreciated! :)

img_3674.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 18 pages, you finally have a keeper!!! This is a great learning thread, and I hope a lot of lurkers and members take away a great deal of information from it.

Now, the setting!!! Hopefully that will be an easier journey. LOL!

S

SparkliesLuver

hehe Isn't that the truth, TL! ;-) I think I remember Freke saying her engagement ring thread was 21 pages. That put things in perspective (in a good way).

I hope so too. I received more pictures of the last setting I posted. I love the twist on the side but I'm not sure if the diamonds on the band and gallery are a bit much. I'm excited to let the ideas simmer. :)

ETA: Pictures added.

900018.jpg

900023.jpg

900020.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice setting, and you can't go wrong with a halo either, but I am the type of person that would halo my car and house if I could. :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

hehe I've gathered that. ;-)

It's actually not a halo, I don't think. Here's a better picture. This might sound odd, coming from me, but I don't think I want to halo it. It's an awesome size already, so I wouldn't want to go too big. If that makes sense.

900022.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1416241850|3785146 said:
I wouldn't want to go too big. If that makes sense.

I cannot compute what you typed. 8-) ;))

This is coming from a person who is currently wearing three rings on one hand and the smallest one is a four carat halo.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yaaaaay! :appl: :appl: :appl:
Not only is it a gorgeous stone but you love it and are going to keep it! So, so, pleased for you SL. It's great that it looks so good under fluoros too.

I really do like the way we can see the green and blue in it and it appears very true to it's glamour pic.
Chrono|1416236900|3785112 said:
So worth the incredible journey and wait. I think you've learned so much as you went through each stone, one by one. :appl: And the end result shows too. I cannot wait to see this lovely stone set.
+1 to everything here. It has been quite the journey... 3.5 months... but worth every day when you end up with a gem you love.
TL said:
Very nice setting, and you can't go wrong with a halo either, but I am the type of person that would halo my car and house if I could. :lol:
Nah... really? :lol: Now the secret is out TL... you keep buying coloured stones just so you can buy more diamonds! :lol:

Congratulations once again SL, we look forward to the setting thread!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm so glad you chimed in, Starzin! :D I still remember your advice about the JuliaB stone - it helped, as all your comments have. Thank you very much. I'm really happy it looks nice under these lovely lights at work, as often times they're the kiss of death for a stone.

haha Yes, I think TL's secret is out! ;-) But I can't blame her for a secret like that.

Thank you! I've had a few revelations about the setting since receiving the stone this morning - less is more will be the theme, I think - but obviously I have a looooooot of time to decide.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad it is a keeper!

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:
I cannot compute what you typed. 8-) ;))
:lol: I totally missed your comment, TL. I know, I never thought I'd say that! I really didn't, especially with my fingers.

LoversKites said:
I'm glad it is a keeper!
Thank you so much, LK. I am too! I can't begin to tell you how happy I was to open the box and not have my heart sink or immediately be drawn to something I didn't like. Instead it was pure enjoyment to get it out of the box as quickly as possible and put it on my hand. ;-)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1416252000|3785263 said:
I'm so glad you chimed in, Starzin! :D I still remember your advice about the JuliaB stone - it helped, as all your comments have. Thank you very much. I'm really happy it looks nice under these lovely lights at work, as often times they're the kiss of death for a stone.

haha Yes, I think TL's secret is out! ;-) But I can't blame her for a secret like that.

Thank you! I've had a few revelations about the setting since receiving the stone this morning - less is more will be the theme, I think - but obviously I have a looooooot of time to decide.
Good-oh then - happy that something I said made sense LOL! Having it look wonderful under fluoros is definitely a bonus.

Hmmm... we will wait on the revelations then ;))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of the stone, and am glad to hear it is a keeper.

Thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
22 pages, actually. Lol. :wall:

It looks beautiful! Does it scratch all of your itches?

S

SparkliesLuver

dk168 said:
I like the look of the stone, and am glad to hear it is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, DK! :) I'm so glad it's a keeper too.

FrekeChild said:
22 pages, actually. Lol. :wall:
It looks beautiful! Does it scratch all of your itches?

:lol: Sorry, Freke, I knew it was a long one; I know every page counts though. :)

Thank you! Glad you think so too. It actually does the more time I spend with it. I know it's not as blue as what I was originally after, but it does have blue flashes, plus the cut, size and clarity are kind of astonishing to me. I'm still in a bit of shock that it's mine! :)

Excuse the random pictures (and awful nails), but I took a couple quick ones in the bathroom this morning after getting ready.

ETA: Starzin :) I'll probably start a new thread once I have my top three setting ideas finalized so I can get opinions!

img_6080.jpg

img_6082.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did not want to threadjack your new thread so I figured the percentage threadjack is lower in your 18 page thread. :naughty:

A blue green stone has been high on my list for a long time and inspired by your thread I decided to look for emeralds again. You adviced me to contact Lee Wasson and I found the perfect little stone. The stone is small but absolutely gorgeous.... and also way over my budget. It's the stone I posted in the someone's gotta buy this stone thread.

So... I decided to reach out to Gene and heard nothing for a day :lol: . I never call vendors as I hugely prefer mail but I decided to just call him. We talked about the stones on his site and then he opened up about his Afgan Tourmaline rough. Despite the holidays he cut a stone for me. And he finished it just in time before he leaves on a trip to Germany! I wanted to thank you hugely for the inspiration. Gene has send the stone to Victor yesterday but I have no idea on how to set it as it is much more elongated than expected. So excited to be stone sisters with you and Laurie.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1417331461|3792667 said:
Did not want to threadjack your new thread so I figured the percentage threadjack is lower in your 18 page thread. :naughty:

A blue green stone has been high on my list for a long time and inspired by your thread I decided to look for emeralds again. You adviced me to contact Lee Wasson and I found the perfect little stone. The stone is small but absolutely gorgeous.... and also way over my budget. It's the stone I posted in the someone's gotta buy this stone thread.

So... I decided to reach out to Gene and heard nothing for a day :lol: . I never call vendors as I hugely prefer mail but I decided to just call him. We talked about the stones on his site and then he opened up about his Afgan Tourmaline rough. Despite the holidays he cut a stone for me. And he finished it just in time before he leaves on a trip to Germany! I wanted to thank you hugely for the inspiration. Gene has send the stone to Victor yesterday but I have no idea on how to set it as it is much more elongated than expected. So excited to be stone sisters with you and Laurie.

SparkliesLuver - Your tourm is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see it set.

Acinom -congratulations on your purchase, looking forward to seeing photos of your new tourm! I too have one on its way to me from Gene :D

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1417337473|3792677 said:

Acinom -congratulations on your purchase, looking forward to seeing photos of your new tourm! I too have one on its way to me from Gene :D

Really?? A green tourmaline as well or a different colored stone. That's great! But you cannot leave us hanging like that. Specs and pics please :naughty:
I made a separate thread for my tourmaline. Sorry for the thread jack Sparklies :wavey:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1417347320|3792711 said:
ricezo|1417337473|3792677 said:

Really?? A green tourmaline as well or a different colored stone. That's great! But you cannot leave us hanging like that. Specs and pics please :naughty:
I made a separate thread for my tourmaline. Sorry for the thread jack Sparklies :wavey:

Yes it's a green tourm as well! It's 3.8ct 8.85mm emerald cut with a few small eye visible inclusions. Here is Gene's photo, I can't wait to see it in person!

_24722.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom, you can threadjack me anytime! :)

I'm so glad you contacted Lee. But alas his stuff is expensive albeit gorgeous. The stone I initially posted there (meant for you ;-) ) was nearly $5k, so when you posted a larger one and equally gorgeous I knew it had to be pricey. I'm sorry that avenue didn't work out.

Buuuuuuut, I'm so happy the next adventure did! :) It usually takes Gene a day or two to respond via email, but I'm glad you called him. I feel the same as you - I don't usually call - but sometimes it just has to be done. I cannot wait to hear more about your blue-green journey! :D

ricezo, thank you so very much! Me too. I look at it everyday in the box and cannot wait to have it on my finger. But I want to be sure on the setting as I only want to set it once. And I need to build up my budget again. haha

ETA: Ahhh, how fun, ricezo! I saw that one had recently sold and I hoped a PSer got it. :D Very exciting! Can't wait for your pics.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tate25|1427004694|3850869 said:
Hi Sparkliesluver,

You mentioned in your post that you know of a vendor that has quite a bit of rough wintermint tourmaline. Could you please tell me who that is as I've been after some for a very long time. My email address is Xxx, would you mind emailing it to me please?

Thanks!!
Tate25

Per policy rules you are adviced not to share your mail addres here for your own privacy. Please edit your post or ask the moderators to remove it.
Sparkliesluver could perhaps share the name of the vendor here. Or sometimes PSrs find each other via Loupe Troop.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, Tate25. Sorry for not responding sooner - I try to take a break from my phone/the internet on weekends.

Jeffrey Hunt is the vendor with a lot of wintermint tourmaline. Here's a link to his site and portfolio page:
http://jeffreyhunt.com/portfolios-2/

He's a great guy. I do know, though, that he doesn't sell his rough outright - he has to cut it as well. And he's a pretty popular guy so his waiting list is long, so if you're in a hurry or have a deadline that may not work. But feel free to email him or give him a call. Hope this helps! :wavey:

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
I sent an email to Gene to ask if I am lucky enough to have something from this rough, unfortunately there only large above 10 ct left. I only have a size 5 finger, so over 10 ct is too big for me. Plus I have to save money for my blue sapphire or should I change the idea to get a 10ct maybe 12 ct green tourmaline?

S

SparkliesLuver

shulaibaoma said:
I sent an email to Gene to ask if I am lucky enough to have something from this rough, unfortunately there only large above 10 ct left. I only have a size 5 finger, so over 10 ct is too big for me. Plus I have to save money for my blue sapphire or should I change the idea to get a 10ct maybe 12 ct green tourmaline?

Is this for a ring? You could wear a sapphire everyday but it's not advisable to wear a tourmaline that often, so that might help you make the decision (if it's for a ring). But I will say his work and that rough are a splendid combination. :lickout:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shulaibaoma|1427304521|3852309 said:

+1 on Sparkliesluvers comment on daily wear of sapphires compared to tourmalines.
Also, 10 ct is very very big for a size 5 finger. I have a 7.8 ct stone which is pretty big already on my 5.75 finger.
For an occasional ring or RHR I can truly recommend Gene's green Afghan tourmalines! They are pretty amazing in real life.

_28289.jpg

_28290.jpg

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Sparkliesluvers and Acinom for your honest suggestion. You know I have been looking for a pretty green gem for a long time but barely see any I really like until I see your and ricezo's posts. I just really want a pretty green gem in my life since green is my favorite color. I hope Gene or other vendors could release some smaller nice green tourmaline.

S

SparkliesLuver

Anytime. You could always go for it and have it made into a pendant. :naughty:

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1427306962|3852321 said:

That is what I am thinking too. Anyways Gene still haven't cut it yet so I have enough time to debate with myself. I am just so jealous for your breathtaking green tourmaline....... :wall: Why I did not find PS earlier?

S

SparkliesLuver

Having some time to decide is a good thing. Aw, thank you. You're here now - that's what matters! :wavey:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shulaibaoma|1427307383|3852324 said:
SparkliesLuver|1427306962|3852321 said:

That is what I am thinking too. Anyways Gene still haven't cut it yet so I have enough time to debate with myself. I am just so jealous for your breathtaking green tourmaline....... :wall: Why I did not find PS earlier?

Great idea to have a pendant made!
Only a few months ago he had some beautiful 3.3 ct pieces. It all went pretty fast.
One more sidenote: my rough was estimated at 5 ct approximately but came out as a 7.8 ct cut stone. Good to keep that in mind if you would still consider it for a ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results