carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think it's a gorgeous and mysterious color :love:
And like DK I know for sure that PSers will wait in lines for this stone in the event that you will not take it.
Will you share your preliminary, future setting ideas? :naughty:

It's a wise choice to first have your dreamstone and then take your time to determine what setting fits that particular stone.
I am so excited and that pretty stone is not even mine :lol:

Love that pic of the rough by the way. Oh my!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice rough picture by the way, and it clearly demonstrates "open color." You can look up both axes of the crystal, and the color is not extinct on either one. Just thought I'd shoot in my two second educational moment. :read: :bigsmile:

tourmalinerough.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This parcel is much greener than the other parcel you posted but as TL said, both parcels have beautiful open colour (ends are bright and the same colour as the main body).

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom. I can't say that I disagree!

haha I appreciate your excitement! I don't have it in hand yet but now that it's faceted I feel I can be excited too :)

I only have two of my ideas here at work - the rest are at home on my laptop. The one thing that hasn't changed is my want for double-claw prongs, so whatever I do will most likely have them...unless I can be swayed by a gorgeous halo. I've admired the VC design for awhile but I'd add double claw prongs. I'm also a bit unsure of all the diamonds. The second is actually from a PSer, and I love the flow of the design.

Thank you, TL! I always appreciate education, especially from you. :)

Oh, yes, it definitely is, Chrono. The other one was a seafoam/wintermint color, almost pastel, while this is definitely a more saturated green-blue. I did notice the open color, thanks to all the learning I've done here.

_500.png

proposal_014a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased towards the second design - it's like mine, minus the diamonds.

split_shank_wave.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom, I forgot this one. I think I'm debating the following things still:

-Open profile
-Diamonds anywhere on the ring
-How to make it not look so much like an engagement ring
-Metal choice

So, basically everything. :lol:

Chrono! Wow. That is basically the same thing. Do you have additional photos? I'd love to see it from other angles. ETA: Do you have any hand shots? I've never had an open profile ring. How does it feel on your hand - any different?

_23997.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone size is only 1 mm smaller than yours too; mine is approximately 10 x 10 mm. It is very comfortable to wear because the way it is designed, I have room for some fat to swell during the hot months. It is a bit top heavy but the physical size of the stone limits spinning.

in_my_bathroom.jpg

with_friends.jpg

friends_rerun.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for the additional pictures, Chrono. Much appreciated. Goodness, your collection... :lickout: :love:

It's very pretty. That's a helpful visual, especially since they're basically the same size. Although I wish my fingers were as small and pretty as yours! ;-) That's good to know it's comfortable and there's room for swelling. My engagement ring is a bit top heavy as well so I'm used to that. I assume you had someone custom-make it? I took note of the vendor who made the one I posted above and they're in Wisconsin, which is feasible since I'd rather not send it out of the country.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
S

SparkliesLuver

Ooooo, that's gorgeous. Thank you. I've been searching their site for something similar. Going to bookmark that link. I am fairly against having two bands though, so I wonder if they could combine them halfway down. Hm. Although that might help differentiate it from an engagement ring. Something to think about.

The carat range goes to 5, and the tourmaline is nearly 6. Wonder if that'd matter. Well, anyway, I'm sure what I'll do is custom since I want double claw prongs on a setting like that. Little tweaks here and there. :naughty:

Would you recommend 18k over platinum?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may want to see it first before you decide, if you haven't decided on metal color yet, have you????

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, for sure! haha No, I haven't decided on anything yet. The setting talk is purely exploratory.

Sorry, I can't help but get excited when talking about it. :oops:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure the setting can be customized to fuse into a single band look, more like mine. ERD/BE does a lot of custom work so I'm confident that they can do it easily. The size on their website is for diamonds whilst coloured stones face up a lot smaller, so verify with them (go by the mm measurement). I originally wanted double prongs too but changed my mind due to concerns about it being too splitty (split prongs + split shank). Don't let that deter you though if that's what you like/want. Mine is in platinum. At this point, let's wait to see the stone; I don't know what metal colour will suit it best.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
I'm sure the setting can be customized to fuse into a single band look, more like mine. ERD/BE does a lot of custom work so I'm confident that they can do it easily. The size on their website is for diamonds whilst coloured stones face up a lot smaller, so verify with them (go by the mm measurement). I originally wanted double prongs too but changed my mind due to concerns about it being too splitty (split prongs + split shank). Don't let that deter you though if that's what you like/want. Mine is in platinum. At this point, let's wait to see the stone; I don't know what metal colour will suit it best.

You make a decent point about it looking "splitty." I'm quite in love with double-claw prongs, but I want to explore as much as I can and think of both sides of the coin. It's much easier (and cheaper) to do before something's in the works.

hehe Yes, lets. It's so easy to get carried away...

ETA: Gene confirmed the stone is completely untreated, including heat. Pretty special to know it's an untouched stone. :D He also said that 5.47mm should be the depth from the girdle to the culet (since I wondered for setting purposes). So that's great news all around.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Great to see that it's on its way to you. It does look to be a very special stone and quite a bit darker than the most afghans he has cut - really saturated too, so fingers crossed again because Gene's eye for colour is excellent and his photos renowned for accuracy :bigsmile:

I like all three settings you've posted this time around - reeeealy nice. You could even do the BE one with double claws on a single, or non-diamond shank with just the wavey diamond "collar", even a Euro shank to help stop the spinning.

Now you've got us all waiting for your photos!

S

SparkliesLuver

You're right, Starzin, it is a bit darker and more saturated than some others he's cut, but I'm relying on his eyes for an excellent stone. :)

Oh, thank you. I am debating whether or not to include any diamonds, so I like your idea of only including them on the wavey "collar." What's a Euro shank? Is that the flat bottom on the underside of the ring?

haha Me too! ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of diamonds only on the collar as well, like a little bit of sparkle just for your viewing pleasure. A Euroshank has a squared off bottom to help prevent the ring from spinning around the finger.

euroshank.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Me too. :) Might have to investigate that. Mark got back to me about a quote on that EB ring. Not too bad.

Hm. I think I tried on one of those when discussing engagement rings and I don't think I liked it. But, I'm open to trying again. Might feel different on my middle finger on my right hand too.

I've also loved the simplicity of this setting, exactly how it is.

_502.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That last setting looks good too. I'm thinking these simpler designs show that a beautiful stone can look just as good with or without diamonds.

I also like the twisted diamond shank above. Yes, the euro shank can be different, so it's best to try a couple on.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slight threadjack, but you should wear these as stackers Chrono. :naughty: :love: :cheeky:

with_friends.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: Well, I think she's also approaching the "one for every finger" option as well if we add in the blue spinel and pink asscher and a few others ;)) :mrgreen:

My 'pooter is struggling because I've got too many tabs open so my responses are going to be slow till I can answer Ganache's thread and close and reboot the browser.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:
Slight threadjack, but you should wear these as stackers Chrono. :naughty: :love: :cheeky:

TL, I like the way you think. :naughty:

I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but I've been debating something so I'd like your thoughts, please. If this is "the one," I'm going to get an AGL report, but I don't know which one. Which one would you do and why? Is it important that it's from Afghanistan? I would want to verify treatment (or lack thereof), but besides that I'm not sure. Is the Prestige Grading Report worth $500 or would a standard Gembrief for $60 suffice?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, the Trueste is such a beautiful design for stones that are remarkable enough to stand apart. Very very soohisticated look:

_24052.jpg

_24053.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1415798218|3781916 said:
TL said:

TL, I like the way you think. :naughty:

I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but I've been debating something so I'd like your thoughts, please. If this is "the one," I'm going to get an AGL report, but I don't know which one. Which one would you do and why? Is it important that it's from Afghanistan? I would want to verify treatment (or lack thereof), but besides that I'm not sure. Is the Prestige Grading Report worth $500 or would a standard Gembrief for $60 suffice?

I wouldn't waste the money on an AGL gem brief for a green-blue tourmaline. It's from Gene, who knows his source, and even if there was treatment (irradiation or heat are the typical treatments for tourmaline), they wouldn't be able to detect it.

No, in this case, origin doesn't matter.

S

SparkliesLuver

Couldn't agree more, Acinom. That emerald ring is actually what made me fall in love with the setting. It's stunning.

So you wouldn't get any sort of report on it, TL? Just want to make sure I hear what you're saying. Oh, okay. Guess I didn't realize they wouldn't be able to detect treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not get a lab report for the tourmaline either. Origin doesn't matter unless it is Brazilian Paraiba and most are heated, so that's not a big deal. Given that it is from Gene, I trust him enough to have confidence that it isn't clarity enhanced (he would detect it during the cutting phase).

S

SparkliesLuver

Okay. Thank you for your thoughts. Much appreciated! I'll save my money and put it toward a setting then.

S

SparkliesLuver

I don't have the stone yet :( but I think I just found my dream setting. Even if there were only diamonds on the gallery, I'd still be madly in love with it. Wow. This calls for further exploration...

_24146.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1415982558|3783473 said:
I don't have the stone yet :( but I think I just found my dream setting. Even if there were only diamonds on the gallery, I'd still be madly in love with it. Wow. This calls for further exploration...

Yay! Worth exploring indeed! This stone looks bigger than yours will be though? And then this is a lot of bling. Are you also still considering this one... It's the same idea but more subdued

_24148.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or this, with your punch of green:

_24149.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results