shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, everyone. I’m a long-time lurker, so I’m really excited to finally be a member and post something of my very own. I purchased a blue Zircon today from JuliaB on Etsy so I can’t wait for it to arrive. :love: I have a feeling I won’t be able to sleep soundly until it’s in my hands. Until then, here are some vendor shots (complete with a video) and more information.

Specs:
4.77ct blue Zircon
Origin: Cambodia
Size: 7.9 mm clean
Cut: precision cut asscher
Treatment: standard heat
Video: http://youtu.be/VbH5b_YFpiI

My reason for posting is to get inspiration for a setting. The ring is for my middle finger on my right hand, so I don’t necessarily want something that looks too much like an engagement ring. And I do have another ring that I’ll alternate it with so it won’t get daily use. I do have fairly thick fingers so I'm not afraid of bling. :naughty:

My inspiration rings are Acinom’s “dipped in sugar” blue Zircon from VC (which is absolutely breath-taking, but I’m not sure I can get DH to stretch the budget quite that far) and diamond-girl’s split shank VC.

My ideal budget is less than $3k but I might be able to stretch it to $5k. I can’t wait to see what you suggest! Thank you in advance.

_21028.jpg

_21029.jpg

_21030.jpg

_21031.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you! I have admired that zircon for a while and almost pulled the trigger a few times. It is gorgeous! Congratulations!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I was so speechless about that stone I forgot to post a setting idea for you. LOL. I have this ring from Amcor (I am swapping out my OMC with something else now) but it would be pretty with that zircon, really showcase the stone, and let in all kinds of light to it, not to mention make it admirable from every angle, which I suspect you might want to do with that beauty!

The mounting is from Stuller, but I worked with Poppyseed/Amcor on it.

150d91d515bc32517f148b096b6072cb.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

JoCoJenn: Thank you! I feel very lucky to have purchased such a gorgeous stone. I contemplated for a little while too, but eventually I knew it had to be mine. :dance: I'll have to look into their offerings since I'm not familiar with them. Thank you for the suggestion and for including a picture - that helps! By the way, I absolutely, positively love your Alexandrite. I've oogled it many, many times. I've thought about a simple, elegant setting like yours or like the one Lucasz has (VC Trueste solitaire). Something that really highlights the stone and lets light in from every angle would be great.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like step cuts with step cuts, but that's because I love step cuts, and if you can have one, you should add as many as possible!

_t2ec16rhjheffmvzu_-lbsefqdivng__60_57.jpg

img_5304.jpg

zirc_halo.jpg

r5401_0.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Super color in that zircon. It would look stunning in rose gold.

How about a split shank?

Or, since it is a zircon, if you want to protect it a little bit with a halo:

Or go more ornate without the cost of a ton of diamonds:

_21033.jpg

_21034.jpg

images3.jpg

allurez.jpg

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! Ideally I'd dip it in sugar a la acinom, but since I'm poor, I'd probably end up with split shank solitaire. Can't wait to see what you choose!

S

SparkliesLuver

DK : I absolutely love her "dipped" ring! I got a quote for the setting and unfortunately it's above my budget. Trust me, if I had the budget for it, it'd already be in the works. ;-)

FrekeChild: I actually hadn't considered adding more step cuts. Not sure why. Just never occurred to me, I guess. Thanks for the suggestion! I do really like middle two rings you posted.

JewelFreak: Thank you for the nice note about the color. I don't have any rose gold jewelry so I'd want to explore that a bit more. So, homework? :Up_to_something: I like the split shank idea. What do you think about the prongs on the example you used? For some reason I prefer claw (or double claw) prongs for this ring. I have thought about a setting that'd protect the Zircon a bit more; however, I don't think I'd want to completely close it off.

Kelli: Thank you! haha You and me both. :naughty: I'm pretty poor too - plus, I probably won't be able to set it until next year - so right now I'm just celebrating the purchase of the stone. And I only want to set it once so I want to take my time anyway. I'm anxious to see what I choose as well!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1407239673|3726359 said:
DK : I absolutely love her "dipped" ring! I got a quote for the setting and unfortunately it's above my budget. Trust me, if I had the budget for it, it'd already be in the works. ;-)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, I bet that is a lot more than the cost of the stone itself!!!

DK :))

S

SparkliesLuver

dk168 said:
SparkliesLuver|1407239673|3726359 said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, I bet that is a lot more than the cost of the stone itself!!!

Unfortunately, it is. Quite a bit more. But it's so beautiful... :drool:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be an occasional wear ring, right? Even so, given the depth of the zircon, I would try to set it as low as possible to protect it from abrasion as much as possible.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
This will be an occasional wear ring, right? Even so, given the depth of the zircon, I would try to set it as low as possible to protect it from abrasion as much as possible.

Yes, I'll alternate it with another ring. I thought that as well, which is yet another reason why I love Acinom's VC setting - it isn't that high on her finger. I will say, I have a desk job during the day (I'm a writer) and as soon as I come home I take off all my jewelry. So the risk of bumping or hitting it against something is extremely low. But I still want to be cautious.

The setting below is one I'm really considering. It has some extra bling yet it'll highlight the Zircon. But I wonder if the Zircon will be protected enough. Thoughts?

54_4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This to me is my all time favorite setting for an asscher, or any square cut gem. I love the simplicity and understated elegance of this ring.

r5401_0.jpg

I adore this Leon ring too, although it's set with a more elongated cut, but it's an idea.

LM_tsavH_002_crop.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

TL: Thank you for your comment. I think I'd maybe love that ring if it only had one side stone (instead of two) on each side. I think it's the E-W setting that's throwing me off. Plus, LM does amazing work. I might have to reach out and ask some questions. :read:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this one that I quite like, not too ornate for my liking:

1310590733_10_1_4303__2_of_4_.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would love to see it in this :love:

stepbezelcsring.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you thought about getting a quote from Mark Broumand? He might be able to do the dipped sugar for less than VC and his pave work is divine.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can someone post ACmom's dipped in sugar setting?

S

SparkliesLuver

DK: Thanks for posting that picture. I actually like that as well. It's not too ornate for my liking either.

DandT: I'm not sure I could rock that much big bling! ;-)

athenaworth: I've never heard of him, but I'll definitely look him up and give him a call. Thank you very much for mentioning his name!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Freke.

That setting is beautiful. Wow. I would be afraid to wear it often because of the delicate pave.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thanks for liking my ring! Perhaps ERD could create a similar setting for you?
Wouldn't hurt to ask them a quote.

I also really love love love the split shank ring you posted. It's actually a design I am considering for the future :twisted:

You have a gorgeous stone from Jeff Davies. :love: :love: He has such beautifully cut stones and his stones seems to be good value for money.

_21120.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1407437238|3728001 said:
Aww, thanks for liking my ring! Perhaps ERD could create a similar setting for you?
Wouldn't hurt to ask them a quote.

I also really love love love the split shank ring you posted. It's actually a design I am considering for the future :twisted:

You have a gorgeous stone from Jeff Davies. :love: :love: He has such beautifully cut stones and his stones seems to be good value for money.

Edit: your beautiful stone does not come from Jeff but from Julia B :love:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
SparkliesLuver|1407177211|3725908 said:
My reason for posting is to get inspiration for a setting. The ring is for my middle finger on my right hand, so I don’t necessarily want something that looks too much like an engagement ring. And I do have another ring that I’ll alternate it with so it won’t get daily use. I do have fairly thick fingers so I'm not afraid of bling. :naughty:

Not wearing it everyday is a good thing when it comes to zircon. These stones are brittle and tend to wear along the facet junctions fairly rapidly if they are unprotected. I've seen stones that look like frosted cabs after 10 years of wear. Because of this I would suggest considering designs which protect the stone as much as possible and allow the stone to be removed for e-polishing without too much fuss, (this means prongs, since bezels can be the devil to replace). Nice color and cutting on that stone by the way.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I wear, and have worn a 12 carat oval blue zircon in a prong setting for years and years. I had it polished once. I never take it off. Fishing, gardening, hiking etc... My experience has not been anywhere near as severe as the warnings I hear... I believe zircons to be one of the most under appreciated gems on the planet.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
This is mine:

_21128.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could also be an option. It's the design you picked, but with an open profile:

_21160.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom: I wondered if you'd find my thread, and I'm so happy that you did. :) I honestly do love your ring! Thank you so much for posting, I appreciate it. I hadn't considered an open profile, but I almost think I like that a bit more. Nice suggestion.

I actually received the stone last night! Admittedly, I was semi-disappointed in the size. The cut and color are wonderful, though. But I was really hoping for something with more finger coverage, especially after seeing her video. Is it just me?

I included a very bad picture of the two rings I wear everyday (the bottom one will alternate with the Zircon). Please excuse the awful lighting and overdue manicure nails.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry. Hit submit instead of attach. Haven't had my coffee yet this morning. :wall:

photo__1_.png

_407.png

_21164.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results