shape
carat
color
clarity

How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA 3x?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Re: How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA

Thank you Stone Hunter. Agree :) See what today's trunk show has....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, so I think I underand better now. A stand alone ring.

This would give you a stand alone look, would match your e ring if in fact it's modern, and have a wide band look.

r379-1d-front.jpg

2f19b28a8513dff3e8e6c8b7014b0be1.jpg

10277836_1418062195126257_1450524398859623484_n_zpsd079ab48__1_.jpg

10154108_241285159408619_7464962529595720201_n_zpsaec6c6fa__1_.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I get it!! The whole "non-engagement" thing. Blingy stand alone, but don't want center to melt into the side stones.

Ok, so I remember someone saying something about French cuts way at the beginning. Did you see any of those in person? I assure you. The sparkle pattern of a French cut is SUPER blingy. The flashes of light are HUGE!! and yet VERY different from the splintery reflections of a MRB. The french cuts can start as wide as the height of the stone, and then taper as you like. Lots of finger coverage.

Victor does an amazing job with these.

Bright Ice had one for one of her earlier settings.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-setting-and-oec-are-finally-together.173883/

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-sophia-french-cut-solitaire-with-cac

Look at these settings where the french cuts were used.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...et-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/

There is a whole thread of french sides. You have to check it out. And you have to go see french cuts in person. They are just amazing. The sparkle like nobody's business. Big bold flashes of light. If you go through this thread, you will see many of these PSers wear this as a stand alone.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-2011-trend-the-french-sides-collection.161358/

If you are in the SF bay area, Lang Antiques is the only retailer I know where you can see French cuts in person. They make french cut eternity bands. Maybe other PSers know of other retailers that carry them. Just look at the videos to see how they sparkle.

This gorgeous one is by ERD or maybe now BE.

Although spotlighted like a moviestar, this is how french cuts light up. The first time I saw them IRL, I was stunned by how bold and bright they are.
https://leonmege.com/portfolio/cust...ue-solitaire-sidestone-engagement-ring-detail

victor_sophia.jpg

bright_ice_french.jpg

french_erd.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Lol! Yay! :) :) Glad I cold clarify! Exactly!

Niel,
Neat looking ring. Love the low set. Interesting with half bezel. Wasn't considering bezel half but looks nice.....I will pin. Not sure....right idea overall with size etc. It's pretty. Less classic which is nice...

LLJsmom - Cool looking ring! Like it :) ..... Low set, double claw prongs.... I have never viewed a French cut in person. I do remember it was mentioned somewhere along the line (must have been you). Maybe it was still when I was considering using my grandmother diamonds so much focus was on. :) . LGKs ring was also helpful to look at bc it showed how a ring may look if the diamonds didn't travel down the shank as much. That would work for me...save a tad $. Maybe three on esch side (till reaches side of finger)...gold band the rest of the way down. Interesting cut and does sparkle. Going to Google now...video was helpful.

I am in the DC area (north 30 miles out). Close (enough) access to Baltimore, DC and northern VA, if needed. The town I live in is small. I usually need to drive....

Pic below if anybody hasn't seen a FC. These are square not tapered.

screenshot_2015-09-27-16-23-13-1.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, trunk show today was a flop. Just as I knew it would be. Nothing much worth looking at.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry you didn't see anything interesting at the trunk show. I know several people that have worked with Pete at Quest Jewelers in northern Virginia and been very happy with their work. They also have some ready made pieces available. I understand that Charleston Alexander also has ready made settings as well. You've been to Mervis but don't know if you were looking at settings there or just stones but they do have settings there as well.

lage

Rough_Rock

cinnamonstick, the picture you posted earlier of a three stone ring with round center in double claw prongs with pear sides is my engagement ring. The 1.5 ct center stone was inherited. The setting (size 5.5) was made by Steven Kirsch. I specifically requested larger pears than what Steven and Leon typically put into their three stone rings, and Steven sourced the .43 and .44 ct side stones for me. -L

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

lage|1443402420|3932597 said:
cinnamonstick, the picture you posted earlier of a three stone ring with round center in double claw prongs with pear sides is my engagement ring. The 1.5 ct center stone was inherited. The setting (size 5.5) was made by Steven Kirsch. I specifically requested larger pears than what Steven and Leon typically put into their three stone rings, and Steven sourced the .43 and .44 ct side stones for me. -L
Lage! So stunning! The whole ring! TY for the dimentions. For a bit I was thinking baguette but missed the sparkle a pear, round, and appearently a French give. For sure I want the sparkle :)
Do u find your pointy claws snag? LOVE them. That is one thing I'm pretty much set on! I think it gives a ring a modern and edgy look.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

After a long talk with myself today, I would have 100% gone with the 5 stone rounder if my grandmother's stones worked. I feel the sparkle is good....color may be a J. :( Look great under a loupe, but can't match center H with J sides. Ugh :( $2,500 was a steal for 1.70cttw custom setting! :( that won't be happening with buying 4 new side stones. I will go smaller on the side stones vs. .50 and .35.

Well, time to shop around for the best price....hopefully I can afford it.

TY all :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results