shape
carat
color
clarity

How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA 3x?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How will grandma's 3 stone diamond ring match up to GIA

cinnamonstick|1443120290|3931379 said:
Niel! Thank you! OK--I was mixed up on my end! Pretty 5 stone. LOVE the side view. Yes, that is a great look!!! :)
That's OK.

Let me ask, what's the most you're willing to spend on the setting, all in?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

FIRST A HUGE THANK YOU --for all of the help I have been given from selecting the loose diamond (what an education!) and now all of the ideas with choosing the ideal setting!!!

Niel
$4k? Highest price?---would need to be a "have to have this setting or I will die" feeling. Otherwise $3k and below. I spent way too much on the center diamond! LOL--oh my, the budget!!!!! I believe I can find what I want (whatever that is) in this price range. Hopefully. I wont settle...so.....but, need to be realistic.

JDDN
I do like the uniqueness of the trap/shield setting you shared with me today!! Just watched the video again. THANK you for attaching that link!!! I tend to run more "unusual" with my taste in general (also a bit on the trendy side). I am surprised I am considering such classic settings??? I have NEVER viewed traps or shields in person. The ring looks like it has the lines of the baguettes but in two different directions (hence the cuts). I will Google more images.... LOVE how it is so low set!!!! BIG plus!

100% sure on the claw prongs (even double claw on the main stone).

On the list:
1) 5 stone round.....25 and .15 or .33 and .20 Not sure...my center is 2.16 RB...8.38 x 8.32 x 5.09 or so

2) Grandmas diamonds (.50s and .35s). I do feel they are a bit large for a look like Yssies. The diamonds look like they sparkle and compliment the main stone well. The price is a STEAL using her diamonds! $2,500!!! But yes, they are a bit large and I would need to check the cut again with another jeweler. I need to shake this idea. I wish the jewelry said they looked crappy vs that they would work! Ugh!!

3) Pear sides (not sure of sizes)

4) Baguettes. They would need to be thicker (larger). I need bling :( HUSBAND likes this one best

5) The diamond trap/bullet side stone JDDN ring :) I LOVE unique things!!!!!!! I have not viewed either style stone cut in person before to have a full understanding of the cuts. Husband likes this second :)

#5 JDDN--is peaking my interest..... :dance: ....GOOGLE......here I come! :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

OHHH...mmmm....might like the shield better than pear on the sides??? If alone--- and no other side stone (IE trap). Not quite sure if they bump up as nice against a round BUT it is more unique than pears alone.

Jewels By Grace
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/Matched-Pairs-and-Diamond-Suit/182tcw-Shield-Cut-Diamond-Pair/

Seems there are different shaped shields? Some look pointy at the bottom others not? Humm.....plot thickens.....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

.25 seems too small for your stones. I'd stay close to Yessies with a .35-.45 ct and .12-.15 sides.

Is this your ring? I can't remember if you're doing this for your girlfriend or yourself.

Is the 5 stone with rounds the main goal? Or are you still unsure?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Niel, the GF is me :) For myself :) Many a years saving for this big day! I still can't believe I pulled the trigger! Wake me up? 10 years in the making. No joke.

Not set on a five stone ring at all. Considered a plain thick band, pave band, underhalo, then saw Yssies and fell in love! Her ring is so, so unique with the hand forged wire. The swoops! I could not $ her ring. Trust me, I investigated :). Have found similar (not was well made) versions etc that would work. This was when I was assuming I would be using my grandmother's diamonds...now that I am not (prob) I am open to any idea that catches my eye.
Three stone is fine (not three round though).

I have been Googling hard.....I think I mentioned earlier, part of the difficulty is that almost every jewelry store in the area does not have settings that will accommodate a 2 carat. Those that do (few) have halos and/ or not what I am looking for. I know they could order a setting or two for me to view, but I do not want to go to that extent knowing I would not buy from them due to pricing, etc.

Well, I'm closer?? Lol! Here in thought picking the center stone was a PITB (online)!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Leon Mege's "tutorial" on side stones explains the difference between, e.g., shields, bullets, and calf's heads; he does have (no surprise) strong opinions on side stones, but since I happen to agree with him in this regard, his sometimes snarky tone doesn't bother me as much as it would otherwise ;))
https://leonmege.com/index.php/side-stones

Think you are in the DC area? If so, think a number of PSers, especially in the Colored Stones forum, have been pleased with the custom work done by Hunt Country Jewelers (Purcellville, VA) & by Quest Jewelers (Fairfax).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did we ever get any details on your new stone? Would love to know what you ended up getting!!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Molly Malone:
That link is helpful! Seems traps and shields can have step cuts or brilliant??? So interesting! Too many choices! LOL! I mostly need to decide if I want brilliant cut sides that sparkle or step cut that add contrast but not a lot of sparkle. Wow-could it be any different?

This is going to be way too long....

MissGotRocks- I should bump back and upset the old topic about the first "H". I may copy and paste this....

I returned the H that was slightly hazy. TY all for your support and encouragement to return it. I do believe that was the RIGHT choice based on my hesitation. Follow the gut PS'ers said!! I had moments of doubt where I almost called the vendor to send it back!! After the returned diamond was received, I was sent a new H, 2.16, SI2 , 3x, GIA, that had a "different type of inclusion than wisps". Cloud, crystal....more....but still eye clean. Plot looked a mess!!!!! I was sweating BIG time it bc I could see the inclusions in the magnified photos with EASE. Trust with IDJ came in to play. They were very up front with what to expect. I was so, so worried. Thankful for the great return policy....I knew I would be ok if it didn't work. :) BIG TIP for anybody shopping online--you cant beat a 30 day return policy if you are OCD as I am. I needed TIME with every diamond.

There was a slight trade off with the inclusions...I gave up a SUPER EYE CLEAN, 100% no inclusions visible w naked eye diamond, but with a slight bit of haze (or VERY slight lack of crispness), for a diamond that if I tilt a certain way in duller light, I can see a tiny spec of dark crystal if I concentrate (comes and goes with turning the diamond). I REALLY need to look for it. And trust me I did!!! Close up....I think I have nutzo eyes. No joke. I can now even see an inclusion spot in my ER, VS2 with my naked eye from the top. LOL!! UGH!!!

What did I gain?? HOLY CRISPNESS!!!!! WOWZERS!!!! This is a beauty!!! It reminds me of the #1 diamond I received, the "J", but whiter :) I can see such definition of the cuts (not H/A, but I see the darker star lines that were missing in the first H with wisps). I can see her soul (ok, don't ask). LOL!!! SO, SO, SO crisp!!!

What is super interesting, is the new H reminds me of how the J sparkled! Remember I was stuck on the slightly less sparkle of the first H before I figured out it was the crispness? I suppose sparkle and crispness go hand in hand. The old H did not lack sparkle by ANY means, as proven by viewing side by side with other diamonds in person at Mervis, BUT no doubt, this one sparkles more!!!! Must be the crispness?? Hum. Husband agrees and we studied the HECK out of that old "H". Go figure. SO- which do I love more??? THIS ONE!! No doubt. She is just a "different SI2". It was a trade off, but one shockingly that I am mentally happy with!

The jeweler who looked at my gmas diamonds beside the new "H" commented on his own it was "eye-clean" (made me feel good). When he took out the loupe I cringed a bit...LOL. Glad most folks do not carry a loupe in their pockets ;-). I have learned in this process that it really doesn't matter what others think as far as how beautiful a stone is. Some folks would NEVER go with a SI2 (and believe me, I would PREFER not). Some are ok with "J" --some not less than and "F" color. To each his/her own!
Basic KNOWLEDGE is helpful (thank you all PS'ers!) but ultimately, comes down to what the eye personally likes. Some may prefer ZERO inclusions to be seen at any cost. TOTAL EYE CLEAN. Period. Others may prefer how beautiful the diamond is as a "whole" and look past a tiny inclusion visible at certain times close up. This diamond is going to work! So far so good! I need to study her a bit more when dirty, etc. but I do believe this is it!!! SHEWWWWW!!!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's just wonderful - I am so happy for you! I think the crispness must be the sparkle/scintillation that you see and I'm glad you are loving what you are seeing.

You are absolutely right - as long as you love the stone and appreciate it as a whole, nothing else matters. I am so glad you hung in there until they found the perfect stone for you!

Good luck with your setting journey as well - I really like all of the settings you are looking at so it's hard to choose. I have the three stone with rounds and don't think I could go back to a solitaire although I love them. I just think my hand looks better with more horizontal coverage than it does with one stone - or maybe I am just used to the look. I do think I could consider the baguettes - no they don't sparkle like a round stone but they do have a shine and elegance to them that is hard to beat!

I'll be following along to see what you decide - good luck!! Then we will need a ton of pictures of the finished ring!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

TY MissGotRocks!!

I sent the pervious reply out in a hurry and apologize for the multiple typos. Multitasking only complicates things! Very busy. Too busy :(

Your three stone is stunning! Love how your PS pic sparkles! Beautiful touch!

Horizontal diamond coverage is a great thing! I will be sure to update and post pictures when complete! Thank you for your interest. :) :) :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hello to anyone still following this convo! Progress! Went to a new jewelry and placed the diamond in a a few settings (wrong side basket/prongs but helped.

Sooo.....
#1. Halfway through the conversation I happened to show the jeweler my grandmother's ring. He said it was definitely warmer (which is the same thing the other jeweler said). I asked, "I or J?". He said no, I can clearly see the warmth, more like a K or L! Wow! IDK! All I know is I wouldn't put those babies beside an H if that's the case! Scratched off list :)

Unfortunately no pear sides to view in the store.

#2. I viewed some step cuts. My eye liked the contrast of the step cuts next to a RB. Double row baguettes were nice....

I was also shown a ring that was to accommodate an emerald center. I popped my round in the basket. Interesting. *Very much dislike the profile view tho. Too staircase.

This look reminded me of the ring JDDN suggested but instead of traps. at the top, had emerald cuts. Instead of bullets at the bottom, had baguettes. Hummmmmm!!? JDDN! You may have found my ring!? :)

I believe I may prefer baguettes on the very bottom over bullets, unless there is a reason to stick with a bullet shape? Jeweler today said baguettes are hard as heck to keep clean. Is this a reason to stay with a bullet? Or same problem? Said baguettes are super thin and look dirty all the time.... haRd to clean bc of how set? Thoughts?

I asked the jeweler about a trapazoid cut vs emerald on the top side of the ring. He said he would prefer an emerald just because he thinks its a nicer cut, facet lines, and made a few other comments. I don't know if emeralds blend as nice as a trapezoid would against a round. Opinions?

So...comments? Bullets vs baguettes on bottom? Trap vs emeralds on top?

Personally the LM ring looks better to me vs emeralds beside the RB. Smoother. More natural. Wonder if traps would look the same in a ring but compliment a round better? I *believe* emerald and traps are same cuts, just slightly different shapes.

TY in advance for feedback. (I will post the JDDN trap bullet ring).

20150926_195623-1.jpg

20150926_200207-1.jpg

20150926_195923-1.jpg

20150926_195947-1.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

JDDN LM trap bullet suggestion

I lIke the low profile on this ring vs the other I saw today. Not sure how a lower look would impact "the look" I saw today. I mentioned to the jeweler today I profered lower and asked how I cold tweak the look. He felt it would make the ring more "engagement looking", which is what I am trying to avoid. IDK though. Don't think the lower trap/bullet ring looks engagement?

screenshot_2015-09-26-20-28-15.png

screenshot_2015-09-26-20-27-53.png

screenshot_2015-09-27-00-23-56-1.png

screenshot_2015-09-27-00-23-50-1.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Comment: looking at the two rings just now when posted, they look pretty different? Was thinking they would look closer than they do since traps are step cut.

The LM identical ring with princess center shows more "steps" in the trap. Resembles an emerald more (pic)

Anybody know a PSer who has the LM trap ring for finger pics?

screenshot_2015-09-27-00-22-18-1.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Looks as if a 5 stone: Baguetts or bullets on bottom....

Top:
Emerald (looks natural?)
Trap......fits better I think
Cadillac?? What is this? Google!

screenshot_2015-09-27-01-02-37.png

screenshot_2015-09-27-01-06-54.png

screenshot_2015-09-27-01-06-38.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you are looking at your options so carefully, it would seem you really care to make as beautiful and perfect (for you) a ring as possible. So if you are going to go with having your jeweler make this ring, unless you have seen real life examples of his already finished work that is what you want, I would caution you against having anyone other than Leon or maybe Victor Canera attempt a ring that looks like the finished product in the pictures from Leon Mege that you posted. A little high set, baguettes a little too wide, or set too high or too long, and it totally changes the look. Look up Mayk and how she had Victor Canera re-do her emerald with baguette sides, and the little tweaks that made the biggest visual difference.

The pictures that you posted from your jeweler's pieces looked way bigger and bulkier than the Leon pieces two which you are aspiring.

I find the two step cuts on each side to be too distracting from the center stone. Although, when Leon does it, the distraction is minimized.

This is Alison Williams' round with baguette sides.

I love how the center really pops, and there is some bling on the sides, but takes nothing away from the center.

_34651.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is Leon's version. From the video, the side where the baguettes meet the center is very beautiful and seemless.

The center is a 2.5. I do love how he tucks the sides of the baguette under the center stone a bit, so when you look at it from the top down there is no "connecting" metal to distract from the center stone.

https://leonmege.com/portfolio/cust...-stone-round-brilliant-engagement-ring-detail

Then look at this next one. It's a 2.87, also by Leon, but I think that the sides are a little too wide, or fat, and don't taper enough. Even a little difference can make the look not quite right.

With this one from Victor, I would rather have the baguettes not extend as far out, that they recess more under the center, and that they start lower closer to the ring, and then attach lower under the center stone. So to me, these little details make a huge difference in the balance of the stones and how the center captures the eye.

leon_baguette.jpg

leon_baguette_not_as_nice.jpg

victor_baguette.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My thoughts only of course...

The traps look great next to a step cut center, but just take too much away from your center.

I totally understand the appeal of full finger width bling. I did it too. But as I wore my ring more, my eyes just didn't get the "wow" from my stone every time I looked at it. Not to say that you won't just because I didn't, but I sharing how my viewpoint of my ring evolved, and how I eventually figured out what I wanted.

The double row baguettes are too much, I think. Too thick, and it makes your ring look confused. Like, do you want to be a step cut or do you want to be a round?

My vote is still for single tapered baguettes on each side. Not too long, tucked under well, starting low on the sides.

Maybe you'll have to get something, live with it a while, and figure out that it's not what you want, even if it takes a while. People change settings all the time on PS.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you Google "show me Leon mege" you should find some.

Also, I don't think you can avoid this ring looking like an engagement ring, regardless of how you set it. A round diamond ring is classic engagement, you'll just have to get used to it :)

Steven kirch and I would say brilliantly engaged can also make lovely rings, if you don't want to work with Leon or VC.

The half pic posted above with the strait vs tapered baguettes is amazing. I think that might be perfect for you. Just enough step vut to get some flash, without taking away from your center stone. Plus, if youre talking hand made rings, you're already pushing your budget with diamond side stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What do you think of this? I think it might help with your "too engagement" problem

screenshot_2015-09-24-22-17-37_1.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

GM LLJsmom,

Thank you for your thoughts! This is why I post on PS :) I value all input. Each of the rings are so pretty which you posted. Alison W's round setting is wow!!!! No denying that! :) Her center diamond is larger, helps with the single row baguette look IMO. I personally need to find a balance of a slightly wider ring (will be wearing alone with no other bands) which still lets the center stone remind the highlight. I think this is why my eye is liking a step cut beside RB? Some sparkle and interest, but the cut pattern is so different than the RB, it helps keep the RB the main attraction of the ring. Yesterday I also tried on several rings with brilliant cut sides that "smothered" my center stone. They did have a lot of ct. weight on the sides. Just way too much!! Less would be more with brilliant cut sides if I go that route. Seem to want step cuts for the contrast.

Of the LM pics you posted. I visually prefer the second LM ring of the two with the wider sides. LOL!! Personal taste coming in to play here. I LOVED how the diamonds tuck under as you mentioned and you picked up the longer baguette look of the Victor ring. Such details that I may not have noticed. You have an amazing eye!! You mentioned you felt the double was "confusing" to the ring. To me, it still allows the center to shine bc of cuts, yet provides some "bulk" or width on the sides for a stand lone ring. Good to hear opinions! I am not always accurate with style. With that said, I still am desiring something that is a bit different than a double baguette side. Still a bit dainty? Fine line between engagement look at "too much".

I would also technically prefer not to have a custom ring made. Really, I would love to buy it off the shelf, stock and have it on my finger tomorrow. I would be able to see the ring in person first, etc. If I have to make a custom design (probably will), I will either use IDJ (bought loose center-I'm not local to IDJ), a local person (not sure how good he is, never used), LM, etc. Depends on the ring I chose.

Thank you LLJsmom, for pointing out little details (angles) can make an enormous difference in how a ring looks. IE tucking baguettes under a little/seamless transition, etc. These are all things will need to be studied once I figure out the setting. I would go with a "place holder setting" to provide time for thought, but really want to avoid that. I had three settings for my ER, LOL! I do expect whatever setting I choose for my new RB, it will be replaced one day. HAHA! Such a typical PSer!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Going back and looking again LLJsmom, I see what u are saying about double vs single for center popping (my actual diamond below). I still do desire a wider side to the ring.

Not 100% set on side baguettes. Seems to be missing a little something for me. Interest (?)

These were just random settings for a visual for me w my round. Not ones I would purchase.

20150926_194211-1.jpg

20150926_195235-1.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

GM Niel

We posted same time! Thank you for your links and pics. Yah, too engagement is a sticking point for me. Side baguettes are a traditional engagement ring setting, which is why I feel it needs "something else" to make it stand out and alone.

I don't like the three side baguette vertical look for me personally. TY for the pic.
I will check out SK also as suggested. Not locked to one designer or jeweler.

Bezel baguettes. I may prefer the prong? Less tapered does create a different look.

All of the pics here, even mine with the double baguettes, look a bit plain for me. I like the look of the contrasting cuts, but needs "something" to make it more interesting. I don't know what.

Might take me back to LM's trap/bullet ring. Step cuts, bit more "interest". I will try again to find an image of the trap/bullet LM ring on a finger.
I'm not locked on step cuts either (just to complicate things more). Just felt they are a pretty contrast to a RB center. I tried a few rings with brilliants on the side. For sure, brilliant cuts cant be too big. Definitely competed. I will also stalk the "Show Me The Bling" / "colored stone" category for ideas.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not to back track but this isn't for your engagement ring? Is this to be a right hand ring? I think I got lost somewhere - sorry!!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks|1443360862|3932378 said:
Not to back track but this isn't for your engagement ring? Is this to be a right hand ring? I think I got lost somewhere - sorry!!

MissGotRocks--- Yes, not for an ER. I've been married 15 wonderful years. Poor guy. This ring will be worn on my left hand as a wedding ring in place of my original. One ring, which can stand alone, w/out adding a band of diamonds, etc.

I will wear my original ER at times on my left hand, but mostly on my right. Very modern setting. Does not look engagement in the least (third setting, lol). Lots of WG. No side diamonds. RB also (1ct)

I want to thank all of you again for your ideas/thoughts/ear/pics/links and posts!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1443361663|3932379 said:

MissGotRocks--- Yes, not for an ER. I've been married 15 wonderful years. Poor guy. This ring will be worn on my left hand as a wedding ring in place of my original. One ring, which can stand alone, w/out adding a band of diamonds, etc.

I will wear my original ER at times on my left hand, but mostly on my right. Very modern setting. Does not look engagement in the least (third setting, lol). Lots of WG. No side diamonds. RB also (1ct)

I want to thank all of you again for your ideas/thoughts/ear/pics/links and posts!!

May I ask why, if you're going to wear it on your left hand, you are that concerned it will look like an engagement ring?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1443363423|3932383 said:
cinnamonstick|1443361663|3932379 said:

May I ask why, if you're going to wear it on your left hand, you are that concerned it will look like an engagement ring?

If you are only going to wear one ring, then I'm reminded of something along the lines of what Bright Ice did - her stone is larger but the ring is made by ERD and something like this could certainly be sized according to your stone: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/securedownload-22.jpeg']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/securedownload-22.jpeg[/URL]

It has a more substantial shank but still doesn't overwhelm the center stone IMO. While I love the baguettes with the round - particularly Leon's version - I think it might not hold its own as a stand alone ring.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

in reply

Niel,
I believe my verbiage is not precise to describe what I mean by "engagement look". I don't want ring that looks to me, as if a diamond wedding band should be added to complete the feel. When this mission first started, I assumed I would want a very plain WG solitary setting for the diamond. After trying one on, I felt as if I wanted to add a diamond band to it for "completeness". Baguettes do give a more finished look to a ring vs plain gold, but I am not sure it is quite enough for me for a stand alone ring. Just personal taste. Hopefully this was more clear.

MissGotRocks,
The look of the ring you posted is more what I am looking for as far as having a little width (substance) to the band. It stands alone well. Right idea, very pretty design, not quite what I am looking for ...but the concept is there with the shank width. Hence two baguettes vs. just one. But even two is missing something for my eye. I did look at a wider (6mm) pave band. Too wide...too much going on.....

I will be going to a local jewelry store today for a trunk show. Not a high end store. Concerns me with the quality of the settings. Also, doubt they will have a lot of 2ct plus settings on hand. At least, like yesterday, I can see settings in person to at least know what may look nice with a 2ct center. Will see...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1443364361|3932387 said:
If you are only going to wear one ring, then I'm reminded of something along the lines of what Bright Ice did - her stone is larger but the ring is made by ERD and something like this could certainly be sized according to your stone: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/securedownload-22.jpeg']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/securedownload-22.jpeg[/URL]

It has a more substantial shank but still doesn't overwhelm the center stone IMO. While I love the baguettes with the round - particularly Leon's version - I think it might not hold its own as a stand alone ring.

Bright Ice's is a gorgeous stand alone ring. Finger coverage, but the center stone POPs. I too think that baguettes aren't enough to make a stand alone ring. You may want to look at settings that are wider, either because of the metal band, or the side stones. Choosing a setting is difficult, but fun, enjoy the journey! Congrats on your anniversary!! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results