shape
carat
color
clarity

How often...

How often do people comment on your ring?

• Constantly...I''m always complimented

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Rarely...occasionally someone will comment on it

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I voted often... it gets noticed quite a bit (a lot of people think it is a yellow diamond LOL) and like Neatfreak said, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it is different and it has color.
Most of the time that it gets complimented is at stores (like everyone said the lights are good!)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I voted often. My rings have a few "fan" clubs. It does surprise me, as the center stone is just under 1.25 ct. It is a blingy set, however, and sparkles like crazy. I think it has a "presence" on my hand and people respond to that
10.gif
I think my rings look better in person than in photos...and, course, the lighting has a big impact on performance!

sera

Ideal_Rock
I get them often from people I know and rarely from people I don''t know.

My ring is far from large on PS... it''s a .99ct. Usually the comments are about it being so sparkly and secondly because it''s curiously "square" yet they know it''s different from a princess. I do notice people noticing it which I perceive as a compliment (though they could be thinking, "Wow, that''s small" or "ugly" or whatever lol... but IDC... I love my diamond and they are free to have their opinions)... I do like it when the compliments come from guys since they aren''t really into jewelry and normally oogle e-rings.

I sure wouldn''t want a stranger even touching me in any way... so grabbing my hand?! Bleh!

I would betcha that a LOT more people than you think notice all these beautiful PS rings and just don''t say anything... there''s been many rings I notice IRL but never say a word.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Only once...and I was in a BBB store.
39.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty often. Much more than I had expected when I got engaged. I probably get about 4-5 comments per week. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I meet ~20 new people a day, and I often have my hands near their face. Most of them are women older than myself who use it as a segue into asking me about my wedding and my fiance. An equal portion of people ask me where I''m from or where I went to school, so I think it''s just a way to start some small talk. I kind of wonder if it will change once I''m wearing a wedding band with it.

I''ve had the random type comments too - once a male (flamboyant) flight attendant saw my ring and exclaimed loudly "is that your engagement ring! oh, someone must love you a lot!" That was kind of weird.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to get a lot of compliments at the mall, probably because of the lighting. I wish I got more compliments though. :( I think my ring is great and I want everyone else to think so too!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get lots of complimets. Most of which are, your ring is sooo beautiful, you''re a lucky girl. I love those. It''s the men that drive me nuts, saying whoa, your guy must really love you. That drives me nuts, and guys just say it over and over. Some with, I see why. I want to smack them.
11.gif
Women are much more geniune, at least in my experience. I always compliment them back, finding a piece they are wearing and ask about it. That always works!!
1.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2008 5:29:59 PM
Author: poshpepper
I voted often... it gets noticed quite a bit (a lot of people think it is a yellow diamond LOL) and like Neatfreak said, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it is different and it has color.

Most of the time that it gets complimented is at stores (like everyone said the lights are good!)

posh, if we shopped at the same grocery store, i would probably compliment your ring too! (and i never do that!)

sparkleandshine

Rough_Rock
How funny to see this topic.....I was frustrated with this just today. I love my ring, and of course I love to get compliments on it, but some people take it too far! I work in a store with great lighting and it really shows off my ring to its best advantage. But everyday I have at least 4 or 5 people literally grab my hand and hold it so they can get a closer look. I assume it''s because it is an asscher (most ask what cut it is and say they have never seen one), but it is a little awkward to stand there while they stare at it and I say "thank you" over and over.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally voted...it seems like I get compliments pretty much everywhere, including work, grocery shopping, shopping in general, out at night, etc. My rings are not THAT blingalicious, they''re, imo, pretty standard (1.5c RB, 1.4ctw wband), but still I get tons of compliments, which is wonderful!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
People always notice my ring, I think it''s because it''s set in an eternity band so it is REALLY blingy in person. Cashiers almost always say something, and I''ve had a few young men ask me about the ring because they were looking for rings themselves, which is always fun.

I think there are a few things that contribute to the amount of comments I get:
- My ering is set in a blingalicious eternity band
- I talk with my hands quite a bit
- I have a smiling problem--I smile a lot, so I think I just appear to be very approachable so people feel comfortable asking about my ring.
9.gif

- I talk to everyone, too, so I think I speak with far more strangers than the average American. I see a lot of people walking around with scowls on their faces, not very approachable.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I get compliments occasionally, but I wouldn''t say "often"... and usually it is from acquaintances (DH''s colleagues, people that sit near us at the hockey games, etc), as opposed to total strangers. Then again, we live in a city (and not a particularly friendly one)... people tend to keep to themselves. When I go back home to central PA or on vacation to Hilton Head or anywhere else in the south, I get noticeably more comments... so I''m thinking location makes an impact.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, my ring hardly ever gets compliments in public. It''s just not HUGE, which is apparently what catches the eyes of sales clerks around here.

My sister wears what is the equivalent of a 4 ct. radiant Fakey McFakerton from JC Penney because she''s pregnant, and not yet engaged, and she gets comments ALL the time on that ring.

My husband and I just chuckle, because people obviously have no clue what they''re looking at . . . so it doesn''t worry me too much.
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get compliments most frequently in jewelry stores and sometimes from people at work. One guy hunted me down after a meeting and said he''d never seen a diamond sparkle that much.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 1:09:35 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Honestly, my ring hardly ever gets compliments in public. It''s just not HUGE, which is apparently what catches the eyes of sales clerks around here.

My sister wears what is the equivalent of a 4 ct. radiant Fakey McFakerton from JC Penney because she''s pregnant, and not yet engaged, and she gets comments ALL the time on that ring.

My husband and I just chuckle, because people obviously have no clue what they''re looking at . . . so it doesn''t worry me too much.
2.gif
I think that larger rings get more attention because people "notice them" more, but I personally notice everyones ring--big and petite...but rings that are "to-to" big either get no attention because people assume they are fakes, or sometimes negative attention "oh, thats nice...but I wouldn''t wear that!"

People are funny about rings...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had my e-ring for 3 and a half years and I''ve gotten 3 comments total. 2 don''t count as 1 was from a bridal shop assistant and 1 was from a beauty shop owner while I got a manicure. The only true comment I got was while I was working at a temp job and it was the first time I''d worn it. I handed something across the desks and other secretary commented that it was beautiful.

lotsofsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Surprisingly, I''m getting more comments on my ring than I thought I would be getting and I''ve only had it for two weeks! Living in LA, a 1.29ct is really nothing special but people always comment on how much it sparkles! I can''t wait ''til my permanent setting arrives, I think it will look so much better than how it looks right now.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Even though my ring is not big at all (.5 ct center stone and another .5 ct in 5 pointers) I got a lot of compliments from random when I first got it, I think because it was a fairly unusual style at the time.

That was almost 15 years ago, and these days rings like mine are a dime a dozen. I still get a few compliments here and there, probably because it is an exceptionally nice version of the style.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 12:11:47 AM
Author: mimzy

posh, if we shopped at the same grocery store, i would probably compliment your ring too! (and i never do that!)
4.gif
Thanks Mimzy!!!

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2008 11:15:52 AM
Author: musey

Date: 3/1/2008 1:42:51 AM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 3/1/2008 1:35:10 AM

Date: 3/1/2008 12:48:13 AM

For the most part? Not so much. People are more likely to notice my clothes or bag or something. (I get more comments about my jeans than anything!) In LA, there''s so much crazy abundance all around--so many other things to notice.
Coati, I''m so behind! I didn''t realize you were another LA-ite!
Oh! You are too! I''m a newbie, so I''m still figuring out where people are from.

I''m in Venice--where are You?
35.gif

Was in Los Feliz until I moved in with Hubby...
We just settled into a new apartment on the western edge of West Hollywood, before that Studio City. You''re a 1,000-post newbie, so that''s really not all that new
2.gif
Hey S.Cali. gals. I''m in the SCValley..
35.gif
Hi Coati.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t vote in the "often" category, because it doesn''t often happen. I have received a few comments here and there. I guess I too, come off not as approachable to people. I don''t mean to, but I guess I do. At least that''s what my FI says. Just the other day the Starbucks gal commented on my ring and called over her friends to look at my ring. (and that''s that she has gotten my coffee at least 10 times prior). I guess seeing me there so often, made her feel comfortable saying something. I do catch a lot of people looking at my ring, but they really won''t say anything. I wonder if they think it''s a fakey. I compliment people on their rings at times, but I would never think of grabbing their hand......you just don''t do that.......It''s funny because my FI is so aware of ladies rings and loves to compare...he''s so bad.....we were at Costco the other day and he said I just had to look at some ladies ring because it was HUGE...So I did.....I walked all the way down an aisle just to take a quick glance...yeah, they probably thought I was some kind of stalker...
23.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I hardly every wear my e-ring (probably once a wk), but when I do I get a lot compliments on it....People often notice my jewelry...Just an example...When I went to the social security office to apply for a new card after the wedding, I got into what seemed like a FOREVER conversation with the woman that worked there, all about my ring! I had my e-ring and w-band on, and she just couldnt stop talking about how gorgeous my e-ring was...She was asking me so many questions like, What kind of diamond is that? How big is it? Etc etc. It was kind of getting annoying.

People comment on my wedding bands too ( I stack my Tiff milgrain band with my Novo and my DK bands) so it does get noticed.
2.gif
I do think it has alot to do with the area you live in and the social circles you travel in though!
2.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 12:42:53 PM
Author: louisvgirl

Date: 3/1/2008 11:15:52 AM

Date: 3/1/2008 1:42:51 AM

Date: 3/1/2008 1:35:10 AM

Date: 3/1/2008 12:48:13 AM

For the most part? Not so much. People are more likely to notice my clothes or bag or something. (I get more comments about my jeans than anything!) In LA, there's so much crazy abundance all around--so many other things to notice.
Coati, I'm so behind! I didn't realize you were another LA-ite!
Oh! You are too! I'm a newbie, so I'm still figuring out where people are from.

I'm in Venice--where are You?
35.gif

Was in Los Feliz until I moved in with Hubby...
We just settled into a new apartment on the western edge of West Hollywood, before that Studio City. You're a 1,000-post newbie, so that's really not all that new
2.gif
Hey S.Cali. gals. I'm in the SCValley..
35.gif
Hi Coati.
SCValley girl here too!
25.gif
Hi everyone!
35.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I voted "not really", as like Musey and Coatimundi said, LA isn''t exactly teeming with small stones!

Coati: Since Venice is now a little more "posh", I''m sure the rocks are gettin'' bigger! I got married in Venice!

Most people think my stone is really included- since it''s a crushed glass radiant, it just looks "busy". Most people think it''s a very gross emerald! (Yes, someone actually said that to me at Costco!)

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 1:33:22 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I voted ''not really'', as like Musey and Coatimundi said, LA isn''t exactly teeming with small stones!

Coati: Since Venice is now a little more ''posh'', I''m sure the rocks are gettin'' bigger! I got married in Venice!

Most people think my stone is really included- since it''s a crushed glass radiant, it just looks ''busy''. Most people think it''s a very gross emerald! (Yes, someone actually said that to me at Costco!)
Never ceases to amaze me how rude (and ignorant) people can be.

For what its worth I think your stone is beautiful!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Posh! Yeah, perhaps I shouldn''t have been loitering around the Costco diamond cases!
11.gif
(Another LA girl, here, too!)

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Only every now and again. My stone is small by NYC standards. I''m also a reserved sort, and tend to wear my plain band alone more often than not.

I get way more compliments when I''m in shorts on the way to the gym
9.gif

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t received any comments on my ring
emsad.gif
but then again, I only received it on Saturday
31.gif
I would agree with D2B as I live in London and big diamonds are just not part of the UK culture. Funny thing is, I was in a supposedly high end jewellery store today (where the best quality stones are 1ct non-certed M I1, you get the picture) and the saleswoman was sniffy with me when I asked to look at wedding bands. She looked at my 2ct F VS1 oval and was really offhand
23.gif
go figure...

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
I have received about 4 compliments in the past three years. No one has ever noted my new eternity band, which is a fairly unusual ring in my line of work (graduate school). Everyone seems to prefer diamond alternatives like sapphires or a plain gold band, so it''s hard to tell if they''re looking down on me for ''buying into'' diamonds or resentful that i have expensive jewelry. I get at least one compliment a day on my outfit, but jewelry seems to be rarely discussed.

The only people who comment on my rings are sales associates. I''m sure my students notice my rings because I use my hands a lot when talking, but I doubt they would feel comfortable saying anything.

My friends aren''t into jewelry, and they''re anti-diamonds, so I don''t expect them to notice or give compliments. The only person who really cares about my rings is my mom, and that''s only because she wants me to have a bigger stone (because I "deserve" it
20.gif
).

trinity911

Shiny_Rock
aww, erica, that''s soo lovely of your mum, she sounds like a sweetie. My mum''s the exact opposite, she didn''t see the need for me to have an ering at all as FI and I just bought a house
39.gif
. thankfully FI didn''t agree and tells me I''m "worth every penny (cent)" he spent

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results