shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you spend / would you spend on an e-ring?

How much did you spend / would you spend?

• Less than 1.0%

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 1.0% - 2.9%

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 3.0% - 4.9%

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • 5.0% - 6.9%

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • 7.0% - 8.9%

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • More than 9.0%

Votes: 69 63.3%

• Total voters

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1390462972|3599306 said:
So what you are saying is you are very wealthy but you are cheap. What a prize.

I couldn't resist. I showed my DH. He's still laughing!! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I did the same thing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1390469533|3599325 said:
What OP is saying is true. Many people I know with a boat-load of money would never go overboard on a ring or a car. It's called common sense. That's how they got rich and that's how they stay rich: hard work, common sense and a certain frugality in attitude.
They have nice things, but not nearly as expensive as they could easily afford.
"Living large" is more of a wannabe trait.

There is a fine line between being frugal and being cheap. I won't make that judgement, as I don't know the OP at all. However, there is no excuse for being arrogant, accusatory, judgemental, and rude. ::)

All the money in the world cannot buy humility or class.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1390473759|3599336 said:
Lord knows I've bought gifts for DH that I thought were kind of dumb or silly or a waste of money, but they were what he wanted. I wanted to make him happy, so I did it. But me thinking they were a bad investment doesn't mean I don't love DH or want him to feel special.

I think the difference is that you made the gift lovingly to your DH despite the fact that you felt it was a bad investment. OP appears to feel that it's a bitter obligation. I wouldn't want any gift, let alone one that is supposed to symbolize our relationship, from a person who felt obligated or bitter about doing so.

Christina, this is exactly what I meant -- thanks for stating this. :)) :))

lookingforever

Rough_Rock
Laila619|1390456587|3599274 said:
lookingforever|1390456109|3599272 said:
AprilBaby|1390446884|3599171 said:
So what you are saying is you are very wealthy but you are cheap. What a prize.

I am new to this forum so I didn't want to say anything but I was thinking the same thing.

I get the feeling he isn't the type of person that is going to feel the same way about not spending so much on the ring when he is with his big time finance friends and all their wives are sporting huge rocks because they spent a larger % than he did.

It's not a competition. There will always be other people who spent more or less. Spending more $ doesn't mean someone loves his fiancee more.

I didn't say that spending more $ means someone loves his fiance more at all. I am just agreeing with other posters that he comes off as condescending and pretentious, and not the least bit modest. Afterall, he had to state that homes in his neighborhood start at $1M. As if anyone needs that tidbit. Anyway I didn't read all the posts. But i just think most people that have this kind of attitude would usually want a bigger ring to show off. And having worked in M&A myself with partners that make A LOT of money, I know that some people that make a lot of money and have a high status position generally usually like to show off their goods. So I just wonder if he is going to feel the same way he does now when his wife has a smaller ring than all his finance friends. It doesn't mean he loves her any less or any more than the next guy. But with the way he is coming off, I just wouldn't be surprised that down the line he changes his mind on buying a more expensive ring. I consider myself a pretty frugal person and I am buying a modest ring which for me is about 10% of my bf's income. And we have a kid. I personally don't feel 10% is not practical. But to each their own. We all have our own personal reasons for doing what we do.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
msop04 said:
Jimmianne|1390469533|3599325 said:
What OP is saying is true. Many people I know with a boat-load of money would never go overboard on a ring or a car. It's called common sense. That's how they got rich and that's how they stay rich: hard work, common sense and a certain frugality in attitude.
They have nice things, but not nearly as expensive as they could easily afford.
"Living large" is more of a wannabe trait.

There is a fine line between being frugal and being cheap. I won't make that judgement, as I don't know the OP at all. However, there is no excuse for being arrogant, accusatory, judgemental, and rude. ::)

All the money in the world cannot buy humility or class.

Amen.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lookingforever|1390496379|3599522 said:
I didn't say that spending more $ means someone loves his fiance more at all. I am just agreeing with other posters that he comes off as condescending and pretentious, and not the least bit modest. Afterall, he had to state that homes in his neighborhood start at $1M. As if anyone needs that tidbit. Anyway I didn't read all the posts. But i just think most people that have this kind of attitude would usually want a bigger ring to show off. And having worked in M&A myself with partners that make A LOT of money, I know that some people that make a lot of money and have a high status position generally usually like to show off their goods. So I just wonder if he is going to feel the same way he does now when his wife has a smaller ring than all his finance friends. It doesn't mean he loves her any less or any more than the next guy. But with the way he is coming off, I just wouldn't be surprised that down the line he changes his mind on buying a more expensive ring.

I think that's the concensus, lookingforever. He is bitter at the thought of having to spend his money on the woman he wants to spend his life with... sounds like a great start to me. :rolleyes: Clearly, the only "good" investments to him include monetary returns -- which is good since he loves to talk about how much he's paying for a home and to live in a very nice area... basically bragging about how much he makes. :nono:

As far as being in his social circle... Well, maybe he'll just give them the lecture he gave us on PS... about what "bad investments" they've made in their wives rings, while gloating about what a fine financial mind he posesses... :roll:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
There is a difference between 1) coming off as arrogant and saying what is generally considered inconsiderate and 2) personally attacking an individual as a group. Perhaps what the OP has said is inconsiderate and arrogant, but it is much less offensive than what's been presumed about him in the last several pages. I don't know how to flag this thread now to a moderator, but my feeling is that it has strayed far from its intended subject as well as the intentions of the Rocky Talky forum.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, I just can't figure out OP posted here in the first place - he is not interested in learning about diamonds, he doesn't want suggestions on diamonds/settings, and he doesn't want any feedback on any diamonds he is pursuing with wholesalers. I think this thread actually belongs in Diamond Hangout than in Rocky Talky.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1390507713|3599638 said:
There is a difference between 1) coming off as arrogant and saying what is generally considered inconsiderate and 2) personally attacking an individual as a group. Perhaps what the OP has said is inconsiderate and arrogant, but it is much less offensive than what's been presumed about him in the last several pages.

Jimmianne|1390470289|3599328 said:
All this to-do is making me smile. Boy, did the OP push some buttons!
I'm sure he will get her something very nice that she will be happy with. He's just here working it out. Ya gotta understand that people who aren't into diamonds thinks the rest of us are a bit odd. :twirl:

Agreed and agreed. IMHO it's PS'ers who are coming off as arrogant and judgmental, not to mention thin-skinned. So what if his opinion of the intrinsic worth of engagement rings is different than most of ours? Assuming that the PS consensus viewpoint is the only right viewpoint is as judgmental as the somewhat sweeping statements the OP was making. We've given him lots of reasons to reconsider his opinion and if he chooses not to - that's between him and his girlfriend.

My last bit of advice to the OP: make sure that your FG is in fact on the same page as you on this question, and not just trying to please you. Try to see the ER not as an obligation but as an opportunity for you to absolutely delight your fiancee-to-be - even if it means spending more than the two of you have already agreed to. :wink2:

And this - if you want help selecting a stone and/or setting, start a new thread!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1390512408|3599685 said:
teobdl|1390507713|3599638 said:
There is a difference between 1) coming off as arrogant and saying what is generally considered inconsiderate and 2) personally attacking an individual as a group. Perhaps what the OP has said is inconsiderate and arrogant, but it is much less offensive than what's been presumed about him in the last several pages.

Jimmianne|1390470289|3599328 said:
All this to-do is making me smile. Boy, did the OP push some buttons!
I'm sure he will get her something very nice that she will be happy with. He's just here working it out. Ya gotta understand that people who aren't into diamonds thinks the rest of us are a bit odd. :twirl:

Agreed and agreed. IMHO it's PS'ers who are coming off as arrogant and judgmental, not to mention thin-skinned. So what if his opinion of the intrinsic worth of engagement rings is different than most of ours? Assuming that the PS consensus viewpoint is the only right viewpoint is as judgmental as the somewhat sweeping statements the OP was making. We've given him lots of reasons to reconsider his opinion and if he chooses not to - that's between him and his girlfriend.

My last bit of advice to the OP: make sure that your FG is in fact on the same page as you on this question, and not just trying to please you. Try to see the ER not as an obligation but as an opportunity for you to absolutely delight your fiancee-to-be - even if it means spending more than the two of you have already agreed to. :wink2:

And this - if you want help selecting a stone and/or setting, start a new thread!

Agreed. I thought I was on another planet here. The OP has been completely trashed, called cheap, bitter, arrogant, told he and his girlfriend "deserve each other", and a bunch of other stuff because he thinks e-rings are overpriced and a bad investment, BUT he is STILL going to give his girlfriend a ring anyway.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1390512408|3599685 said:

I don't think PS'ers have responded arrogantly at all. Why in the world would someone come to a diamond forum and feel the need to demean the majority of its members? I won't even go into the whole "look at me, look at me... I have more money than most, but I'm smart enough not to spend it on something so frivolous as an engagement ring -- unlike you, who have fallen victim to advertising and hype... well, I won't be duped like the rest of you. Nope, I'm too smart for that" talk... :roll:

...a lot of people make horrible financial decisions which are often fostered through a culture of excess consumerism - this goes well beyond diamonds, but they are a very good example. In the end though, smart business people know all of this and make a killing selling this stuff (trust me) to the people who actually shouldn't be buying in the first place!

...we live in a very up-scale neighbourhood within one of the most expensive financial districts in the world. I think she can survive without a huge rock...

My thinking for now is to spend ~4.0% of my annual income. This will provide me with enough of a budget for a decent sized ring, albeit again, it's a bitter pill to swallow! :rolleyes:

Your expectations are also pretty ridiculous, assuming they are honest. No one in their right mind would spend that on a ring who makes 250k. Generally the people who do make that kind of money know better.

You want to spend half your salary on a diamond ring? By all means, go for it! I can tell you whole-heartedly I don't believe that to be a prudent financial strategy, but then again, look at the U.S. fiscal situation...

I think it's pretty obvious what's pushing so many buttons. It's the simple fact that the OP took it upon himself to consult with the members of this forum (orginal question of how much is spent on ering...), but continually makes inflammatory remarks that insult the morals, financial decisions, and overall "common sense" of everyone here who has spent more than he thinks is acceptable. It's pretty clear the OP doesn't want any form of advice on diamonds... I'm starting to believe this is nothing more than trolling. :|

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
auktalent3|1390441830|3599080 said:
For us, our priorities are the future little ones, a house in a good neighbourhood and in a good school district ($1M+ in my city for a starter), safety cash in case any of us get laid off, vacations/travel, going out/events, retirement savings, quality food, reasonable clothes, some cash for a potential business start up in a few years etc. ... Just think about what you are actually paying for and how much you are paying for it and you must admit it is somewhat amusing.

Just want to point out that the bolded are as much luxury purchases as diamonds. And if diamonds are a bad investment, what are vacations/travel and going out/events? When you are done with those, you can't even sell them. When you are done with your diamond,you can still sell it for like half of what you paid. I would consider a 50% loss in value a "better investment" than a 100% loss in value. It's fine to prefer experience spending vs spending on goods, but please recognize it is a preference.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The OP's biggest fault is that he should have split this thread up into two sub-forums. He thought he was in Hangout for half of it. I see my dh in him (together 20 years, married 13). DH is an engineer, but you know those "numbers" guys... there's no "rationalizing" with their numbers, heh. He's right to note that defenses are up here now; likewise, he is unfamiliar with the "obsessive hobbyist" mentality here (thanks, Circe, I was looking for the right adjective for me!). There are different conversations going on right now, and that's why he won't get the full valuable information that is available to him here. He's too busy in faux-Hangout.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
KristinTech|1390628099|3600867 said:
The OP's biggest fault is that he should have split this thread up into two sub-forums. He thought he was in Hangout for half of it. I see my dh in him (together 20 years, married 13). DH is an engineer, but you know those "numbers" guys... there's no "rationalizing" with their numbers, heh. He's right to note that defenses are up here now; likewise, he is unfamiliar with the "obsessive hobbyist" mentality here (thanks, Circe, I was looking for the right adjective for me!). There are different conversations going on right now, and that's why he won't get the full valuable information that is available to him here. He's too busy in faux-Hangout.

He wanted to come here to moralize/preach. He is a snob who wants the million dollar house and private school and prestigious (sounding) job but he is also cheap and is trying to justify it. As someone pointed out, a million dollar house isnt necessarily a good "investment" nor is a vacation or private school and so forth. He desperately wants validation. I suspect his girl isnt in line with him. Regardless he is smug, shrill and annoying. He doesnt want our help. He wants a 3 carat ring for $5000 and he is irked he has to buy something he doesnt get anything out of....selfish

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
auktalent3|1390441830|3599080 said:
Man some of you get worked up easily! Control those emotions. You have to admit, spending that kind of money is a bit excessive (objectively speaking, from the perspective of an average human being). Look, at my job, I work pretty crazy hours (especially when I first started... recent times are a bit better), plenty of all-nighters and I am back at the office in the morning. Weekends are usually a write-off, schedule is hectic and unpredictable. AVERAGE week is 80+ hours, with periods of 2-3 weeks at 110 hours non-stop. Most people say that I'm somewhat insane for working in this type of job. I don't jump up and down screaming, I laugh and realize that I am somewhat insane because MOST people won't do that! Why do I do it? Because I enjoy it and it pays well. That's why. So don't get offended when people have a different perspective and get all confrontational. You want to spend half your salary on a diamond ring? By all means, go for it! I can tell you whole-heartedly I don't believe that to be a prudent financial strategy, but then again, look at the U.S. fiscal situation...
Sounds like the universal experience of motherhood - except mothers work for free.
Which is why some of us are happy to receive a lovely gift of fine jewellery.

You could argue that the best things in life - like mothers - are free.
So...don't give your gf anything.

My guess is you wouldn't skip it totally, as you wouldn't want to be seen as a cheap boor.
Praps you could save by going for the courthouse wedding, with no bridesmaids. Or maybe not.
Personally, I'm glad I've got a lovely engagement ring. I enjoy it every day. I haven't worn my dress since the ceremony.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
LaraOnline|1390633319|3600885 said:
Personally, I'm glad I've got a lovely engagement ring. I enjoy it every day. I haven't worn my dress since the ceremony.

:wink2: clever

Buy a second hand wedding dress! Especially as they can easily cost 3000-5000 dollars and put the extra $ to the ring!

nmk0102

Rough_Rock
My husband and I agreed to spend ~2.5% of his total salary on the e-ring and I am very satisfied with my ring (more like, in :love: with it). We also ended up budgeting 20% of his total salary for the wedding itself. We have quite a bit saved up for our future home.

My close girlfriends and I used to rank the categories of e-ring, wedding, honeymoon, and house based on how much we would proportionally want to spend on each. The results were quite different! to each his own :)

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
[quote="AprilBaby]

So what you are saying is you are very wealthy but you are cheap. What a prize.[/quote]

ROTFLMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone be sure to vote for the highest %, just because it annoys the OP. I know that's what I did. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

auktalent3

Rough_Rock
Guys, after reading all of the replies I just want to say thank you to all people who provided positive feedback. For those that didn't, I am sorry for provoking the worst in you. My intensions were good, but I was struggling internally to justifying the purchase and I vented but clearly to the wrong group.

On the positive side, I am excited to say a ring purchase will occur soon, regardless of my views. Most of my friends feel the exact same way, but they all did it. I am not buying a big diamond to show off because I couldn't care less what people think (yes, cocky and arrogant, got it). On that note, I will take it from here solo. Have a few offers from local wholesalers and recently got introduced to a diamond "source" who can basically get these things at cost and will charge me a reasonable finders fee. Guess perks of my arrogant job and events I go to - you meet people!!! Very much a better investment than a diamond, contrary to what someone posted earlier.

Thank you all. Maybe I will come back and post pics when I buy it. Enjoy the board and all the best.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
auktalent3|1390719037|3601366 said:
Guys, after reading all of the replies I just want to say thank you to all people who provided positive feedback. For those that didn't, I am sorry for provoking the worst in you. My intensions were good, but I was struggling internally to justifying the purchase and I vented but clearly to the wrong group.

On the positive side, I am excited to say a ring purchase will occur soon, regardless of my views. Most of my friends feel the exact same way, but they all did it. I am not buying a big diamond to show off because I couldn't care less what people think (yes, cocky and arrogant, got it). On that note, I will take it from here solo. Have a few offers from local wholesalers and recently got introduced to a diamond "source" who can basically get these things at cost and will charge me a reasonable finders fee. Guess perks of my arrogant job and events I go to - you meet people!!! Very much a better investment than a diamond, contrary to what someone posted earlier.

Thank you all. Maybe I will come back and post pics when I buy it. Enjoy the board and all the best.
:appl:
I hope you do post photos - wold love to see what you got. If you ever get the chance, you might pick up a copy of Aldous Huxley's Heaven & Hell where he talks about gems, precious metals, stain-glass as "transporting devices to the inner soul". I wrote my MFA thesis on this, and it's true. You pick up a well-cut stone and become fascinated and have emotions of joy and wholeness. I hope this happens to you. It's lovely.
All the best to you!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm late to the party, but if you do purchase anything I hope that it will be well cut. A number of the members here have actually suggested really top cut options for you and you have been busy defending your views (which I am not going to comment on) and it seems you have overlooked the fact that if you want to get the best investment possible ie lose the least amount of money & purchase something that will increase in value over time rather than just take a huge hit on then please use the calculators & tools available here and buy the best cut you possibly can. Why I hear you ask..... the best cut = the best fire. Diamond are all about show not economics.

There is an old saying happy wife = happy life. I am guessing yours is a sweet woman and basically agrees with your sound financial logic. I will say this however, if she has looked and admired and wanted a decent diamond ring her whole life then it is something that is important to her, make her happy & purchase her the biggest nicest cut stone you can stomach paying for..... if you mix in decent financial circles women honestly do compare, you will go to workplaces and dinners in the future where despite not being a petty or materialistic person I am sure you will want her to feel cherished and loved when she looks down at her hand not thinking in a few years her ring is crappy and she needs an upgrade.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post a pix(s).. I'm betting you will buy the best stone in your price range.. with the BEST cut.. one thing one learns on Pricescope is CUT CUT CUT is king.. a small, great cut diamond can look larger and a well cut stone can show higher color (not tons but it's brilliance) I have learned this here.. You are a guy that is logical and wants all the bang for his buck and loves his lady.. sounds like a good way to live your life. Oh arrogance btw is bandied about.. but perhaps you are young and happy! some poster above said that you were asking questions of people who LOVE diamonds - cost not a factor per se.. Okay .. remember CUT is king.. and should you want to sell in the future say for a different, bigger, smaller etc stone. .cut will factor into your resale price... happy life and peace.

kate

ARKIEB - my apologies I hadn't read your post before mine.. cut is most important

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

You are so naive. You really should have graciously accepted the offers of assistance earlier in the thread. I have no doubt that your ego will cause you to spend too much for a product in an industry you do not understand. THAT to me makes for a bad financial decision. I hope you find d something wonderful through your 'wholesaler'.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
"You are so naive. You really should have graciously accepted the offers of assistance earlier in the thread. I have no doubt that your ego will cause you to spend too much for a product in an industry you do not understand. THAT to me makes for a bad financial decision. I hope you find d something wonderful through your 'wholesaler'."

well said Christina:

Hilarious really... "wholesaler" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so naive. You really should have graciously accepted the offers of assistance earlier in the thread. I have no doubt that your ego will cause you to spend too much for a product in an industry you do not understand. THAT to me makes for a bad financial decision. I hope you find d something wonderful through your 'wholesaler'.[/quote said:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I thought that was probably true.

Just get a beautiful well cut diamond because that is what your beloved wants.
It's tough to be young, I think you just wanted to gather opinions.
Perhaps to see what everyone out there "really" sets aside for purchasing an engagement ring.
Just know, that many people really don't respond well to a perception of "cheap"
And that unfortunately is how you came across....

Congratulations on your soon-to-be engagement :))

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Just can't help myself. I am one of the ones who said that we would be happy to help you select a ring. Just for your information there is no such thing as a wholesale purchase. Diamonds are sold at very small margins and don't fool yourself that you are going to get a deal. You are probably wiser to start a new thread , change your name and let us help you fiind a great stone. As no matter what your "source" motives are it is all about money so don't be fooled

thadanim

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1390784416|3601760 said:

Just can't help myself. I am one of the ones who said that we would be happy to help you select a ring. Just for your information there is no such thing as a wholesale purchase. Diamonds are sold at very small margins and don't fool yourself that you are going to get a deal. You are probably wiser to start a new thread , change your name and let us help you fiind a great stone. As no matter what your "source" motives are it is all about money so don't be fooled

Heididdl your being naive now :cheeky: !!! The miner in South Africa is his best mate, the cutter in Antwerp he knows really well and does mass cutting, the setter in NY is a business associates brother, he has to be getting the best considering he knows all these people because of his job, events and contacts. Good luck OP you sure need it with that attitude in life.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yes and the guy I bought my wedding band from owns the entire building on 47th street and guess what after I bought my original diamond studs from him I found PS and they ended up being crap and this was a man that our family and others trusted for 30 + years. So all you have is 7 degrees of someone elses separation.

Its all moot as I have a big honker of a ring and a 27 year happy marriage so the last laugh is certainly not on me

Good luck and.remember Happy WIFE HAPPY LIFE

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bgray|1390753589|3601483 said:
"You are so naive. You really should have graciously accepted the offers of assistance earlier in the thread. I have no doubt that your ego will cause you to spend too much for a product in an industry you do not understand. THAT to me makes for a bad financial decision. I hope you find d something wonderful through your 'wholesaler'."

well said Christina:

Hilarious really... "wholesaler" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guys... he's way too smart for the likes of us amateurs... clearly, he can find a much better deal through his "wholesaler." He's much too savvy and financially wise to be duped by all the hype and marketing ploys for these useless diamonds. Rumor has it, his dealer will even throw in some oceanfront propery right outside of Denver -- ski, surf, and a 3 carat diamond for $5K!! ...shows what we know.

After all, he's living in one of the most expensive neighborhoods with the best privates schools money can buy and working in the wealthiest financial district in the world. Believe it. This dude has connections.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results