shape
carat
color
clarity

How come you don't post as much nowadays..

SB621

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1376509130|3503008 said:
SB621|1376503775|3502942 said:
That cake looks so good :appl: :lickout:

AGBF can we change cake rewards to 6k posts? That seems so much more tangable to me then 10k. :???: :shock: :mrgreen:

Just for you, SB! When you hit 6K, e-mail me and I will send you what you need in order to choose a cake from what used to be my favorite cake vendor. It's really funny, but I hadn't ordered from him in ages and today I did.

I had received a notice of a special summer promotion from them and they have kosher cakes. I mean, all their gorgeous cakes and pastries are dairy-free now! My niece, who moved out to Los Angeles after she graduated from college, is lactose intolerant so I always buy her dairy-free cakes from a local Jewish bakery. This year I will not be with her for her August birthday (although her parents will be), so I thought it was fortuitous to get this offer from a kosher cake vendor! Her dairy-free cake is scheduled to arrive on her birthday. The owner of that bakery used to know me well and started giving me a special discount!!!

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

Oh be still my heart you JUST MADE MY DAY!!!!!!! And let me tell you today was one of those days where you just want to email Ella and say close my account. AGBF you are such a doll. You don't really have to send a cake....but if you do realize I'm sending you something back for you 12.6k posts! I insist! We must all show appreication for the reason why we STAY on PS vs leaving...now where is the hugging smiley??????

And that is wonderful about the bakery. I might have to look into this for future use myself!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to give a thank you to Kenny. I head to Hangout first to see what threads he has going.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376511176|3503033 said:

AGBF can we change cake rewards to 6k posts? That seems so much more tangable to me then 10k. :???: :shock: :mrgreen:

Just for you, SB! When you hit 6K, e-mail me and I will send you what you need in order to choose a cake from what used to be my favorite cake vendor. It's really funny, but I hadn't ordered from him in ages and today I did.

I had received a notice of a special summer promotion from them and they have kosher cakes. I mean, all their gorgeous cakes and pastries are dairy-free now! My niece, who moved out to Los Angeles after she graduated from college, is lactose intolerant so I always buy her dairy-free cakes from a local Jewish bakery. This year I will not be with her for her August birthday (although her parents will be), so I thought it was fortuitous to get this offer from a kosher cake vendor! Her dairy-free cake is scheduled to arrive on her birthday. The owner of that bakery used to know me well and started giving me a special discount!!!

Deb/AGBF

Oh be still my heart you JUST MADE MY DAY!!!!!!! And let me tell you today was one of those days where you just want to email Ella and say close my account. AGBF you are such a doll. You don't really have to send a cake....but if you do realize I'm sending you something back for you 12.6k posts! I insist! We must all show appreication for the reason why we STAY on PS vs leaving...now where is the hugging smiley??????

And that is wonderful about the bakery. I might have to look into this for future use myself!

I'm sorry you felt like that :(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1376511176|3503033 said:

Well, your response made my day, SB! Ask poor Kaleigh, who took over the job of sending the cakes from me, how many people turn down the offer of a cake! It makes the cake-giver a bit despondent!!! I am delighted that you find joy in it!!!

Big hugs,
Deb

SB621

Ideal_Rock
How can ppl not love CAKE!! Seriously it is cake!!! The only reason why I make my butt run 2-4 miles a day is so i can EAT cake!
EDIT- <--------just letting you know i'm almost there!! Shameless I know.

thank you Maisie it has been a crazy day! All good now!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are not allowed to leave, SB! Or I'll spank you! :devil: I love your posts!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
madelise said:
You are not allowed to leave, SB! Or I'll spank you! :devil: I love your posts!

OH Madelise you are such a sweetie! I will share my cake with you :kiss:

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I used to love posting on RT but now I am 'trade' I can't post on anything where the vendor is known. There are sooooo many times that I want to help out, even recommending other vendors/companies that I don't work with but I can't...it's no fun anymore :((

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I used to love the colored stones board, but don't post as much because I find that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to-- there is a lot of unsolicited criticism on the board, and I hate to see it directed to a new poster that is just trying to share a piece that they are very excited about. I've read everything from, "that stone has a lot of grey/brown/etc." to "that's not really a padparadscha" to "that setting doesn't strike me as an e-ring style" when a poster is simply sharing their new purchase. Once, I remember a greyish-purple spinel that a poster was so excited to share, and it was prompted deemed unsatisfactory. I don't remember any of the posters, but I do remember that the OP seemed sad and that the thread didn't last long after that. It was a $10 spinel, and the OP likely wasn't expecting perfection, and was simply likely to be happy to have a nice spinel coming home in the mail. It bums me out especially when its a engagement ring that becomes the topic of debate based on color, style, title, or whatever else. I've also noticed that older posters will preemptively react to those comments by posting disclaimer along with their new purchase, stating, "it was a window, but I love it" or "its gray, but I love it." To me, it shouldn't be necessary to justify your gem purchase. Its a given that poster purchased the stone because they loved it; we all have different tastes, different priorities, and different budgets. I like it that way, because I get to see all kinds of gems in all styles of jewelry. If someone is looking for criticism, advice, or an interpretation of gem photography, it makes perfect sense to be frank and critical and I certainly appreciate the criticism in those threads.

This post is certainly not directed at any particular poster; its simply that the CS board has taken on a critical tone, and I miss the enthusiasm and excitement of seeing a lot of new gems shared, and of sharing my own, that used to be more prevalent on the CS board.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a case by case thing, but when I see an error I'll usually correct it.
Like, when someone thinks they have a tension setting but they don't because there is metal under the diamond bridging the gap.
Or, when someone thinks GIA issues a Fancy Vivid Red grade for colored diamonds.
They don't.
Other hues get all 9 tone/saturation grades from Faint through Fancy Deep, but Red is only given in the tone/saturation level of 'Fancy Red', since lighter ones are pink.

IMAO accuracy trumps everything.
Sure, people's feelings are important so phrasing a correction kindly is a good thing ... but when people post stuff that's just not accurate the truth trumps feelings.
IOW, don't let false info stand unchallenged because you think doing so makes you 'nice'.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1376544644|3503532 said:
Like, when someone thinks they have a tension setting but they don't because there is metal under the diamond bridging the gap.
Or, when someone thinks GIA issues a Fancy Vivid Red grade for colored diamonds.
They don't.
Other hues get all 9 tone/saturation grades from Faint through Fancy Deep, but Red is only given in the tone/saturation level of 'Fancy Red', since lighter ones are pink.

Sure, people's feelings are important so phrasing a correction kindly is a good thing ... but when people post stuff that's just not accurate the truth trumps feelings.
IOW, don't let false info stand unchallenged because you think doing so makes you 'nice'.

Just getting around to reading this thread and I want to say a few things.
First of all a huge ditto to kenny's post.

Second of all, welcome back Hudson Hawk and Maisie! I hope you guys stay and I am sorry you went through some rough times. (((Hugs))) to you both.

Third of all, I do not care for cliquish so that's why I stay away from certain groups that are IMO. I also never post where expert opinions are necessary because others here know way more than I do and I do not want to mislead anyone. However if non expert opinions are requested I will happily participate because I know what is beautiful to my eyes. But when the conversation requires complex and more scientific advice I bow out to the experts and rocky talky is not really an area I feel I can offer help. Rule one do no harm...

lastly, Deb, OMG, that cake looks awesome! Maybe Sarah will share with me too? :lickout:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1376568157|3503583 said:
Second of all, welcome back Hudson Hawk and Maisie! I hope you guys stay and I am sorry you went through some rough times. (((Hugs))) to you both.

thankyou.gif
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
missy|1376568157|3503583 said:
They don't.

Just getting around to reading this thread and I want to say a few things.
First of all a huge ditto to kenny's post.

Third of all, I do not care for cliquish so that's why I stay away from certain groups that are IMO. I also never post where expert opinions are necessary because others here know way more than I do and I do not want to mislead anyone. However if non expert opinions are requested I will happily participate because I know what is beautiful to my eyes. But when the conversation requires complex and more scientific advice I bow out to the experts and rocky talky is not really an area I feel I can offer help. Rule one do no harm...

lastly, Deb, OMG, that cake looks awesome! Maybe Sarah will share with me too? :lickout:[/quote]

It would be my honor!! Next time I'm in NYC we will need to do lunch. I might shoot you an email off line because PinkJewel and I were thinking of coming up for the JAR exhibit if you would like to join us. Sorry for the threadjack OP!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
IndyLady|1376543835|3503529 said:
I used to love the colored stones board, but don't post as much because I find that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to-- there is a lot of unsolicited criticism on the board, and I hate to see it directed to a new poster that is just trying to share a piece that they are very excited about. I've read everything from, "that stone has a lot of grey/brown/etc." to "that's not really a padparadscha" to "that setting doesn't strike me as an e-ring style" when a poster is simply sharing their new purchase. Once, I remember a greyish-purple spinel that a poster was so excited to share, and it was prompted deemed unsatisfactory. I don't remember any of the posters, but I do remember that the OP seemed sad and that the thread didn't last long after that. It was a $10 spinel, and the OP likely wasn't expecting perfection, and was simply likely to be happy to have a nice spinel coming home in the mail. It bums me out especially when its a engagement ring that becomes the topic of debate based on color, style, title, or whatever else. I've also noticed that older posters will preemptively react to those comments by posting disclaimer along with their new purchase, stating, "it was a window, but I love it" or "its gray, but I love it." To me, it shouldn't be necessary to justify your gem purchase. Its a given that poster purchased the stone because they loved it; we all have different tastes, different priorities, and different budgets. I like it that way, because I get to see all kinds of gems in all styles of jewelry. If someone is looking for criticism, advice, or an interpretation of gem photography, it makes perfect sense to be frank and critical and I certainly appreciate the criticism in those threads.

This post is certainly not directed at any particular poster; its simply that the CS board has taken on a critical tone, and I miss the enthusiasm and excitement of seeing a lot of new gems shared, and of sharing my own, that used to be more prevalent on the CS board.

Yup. That's why I stopped posting there a while back. I really like most of the individual posters, but I decided I didn't need yet another source of negativity in my life (Who does?)

In general, I've always been an erratic poster. Some threads seem to be mostly among people who know each other well and the thread seems like a closed loop so I don't post there. I lack the expertise in diamonds that some posters have so I don't post in those threads, either. I'm also at a different stage of life than many PS'ers, so that also limits where I feel comfortable posting. And, I usually don't have the time the check in on PS multiple times a day so I tend not to post on the more controversial threads because I don't have the time or energy to thread-sit.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny how I keep coming back.. I want my OLD PS back. NOT happening. It was soooooo much fun long ago, where you could have great disussions, vendors included. I didn't speak up much back then.. Was just learning... And knew I better know my sh*t if I were to speak up...

Over the years I grew to really admire and respect many posters I disagreed with.....

I don't see any back and forth. So I find it a bit of a snooze fest...

Not looking to battle , but always love a great discussion and one I can learn from..

I haven't seen that in years...

So if they bring it back game on....

I still want to come to Vegas next June.. To meet so many of you.... :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I still the cake lady?? I will be more than happy to keep up this job for another year...

I think we need a role call...

Many were offered a cake said no but thanks...

I have a tiny budget, going through a divorce. But happy to send a cake to you as Deb so nicely did to me back in the day.....

I guess you give Ella your contact info..

Or I am on FB But if I gave my name here would get in the naughty chair... :naughty: :wavey:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Am I still the cake lady?? I will be more than happy to keep up this job for another year...

I think we need a role call...

Many were offered a cake said no but thanks...

I have a tiny budget, going through a divorce. But happy to send a cake to you as Deb so nicely did to me back in the day.....

I guess you give Ella your contact info..

Or I am on FB But if I gave my name here would get in the naughty chair... :naughty: :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh|1376613831|3504084 said:
Am I still the cake lady??

No! No! I misspoke, Kaleigh. I didn't mean you were still the cake lady! I only meant that you, like me, having been a cake lady, had had the experience-and I think more often than I did since Pricescope spirit was starting to lag by the time you took over from me- of being turned down by someone when you offered a cake. As far as I know, the cakes have ceased!!! (Except for SB at 6,000 and I'm doing that one!)

Deb

SB621

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1376618602|3504118 said:

No! No! I misspoke, Kaleigh. I didn't mean you were still the cake lady! I only meant that you, like me, having been a cake lady, had had the experience-and I think more often than I did since Pricescope spirit was starting to lag by the time you took over from me- of being turned down by someone when you offered a cake. As far as I know, the cakes have ceased!!! (Except for SB at 6,000 and I'm doing that one!)

Deb

7 more posts, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaleigh I haven't seen you in HG in forever. I miss your witty comments and I never would have said you didn't speak up. I loved your comments!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376620044|3504130 said:

Deb

Kaleigh I haven't seen you in HG in forever. I miss your witty comments and I never would have said you didn't speak up. I loved your comments!
Glad to be back.... :wavey:

Been sick... But fighting the good fight. Lord willing.....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376620044|3504130 said:

Deb

Glad to be back.... :wavey:

Been sick... But fighting the good fight. Lord willing.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more posts, SB! :appl: Many thanks to Deb for her thoughtfulness and generosity to so many others.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1376624722|3504167 said:
2 more posts, SB! :appl: Many thanks to Deb for her thoughtfulness and generosity to so many others.
Yes, we all love Mother Teresa... :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
They don't.

Kenny--I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think you misunderstood my point. I don't like it when a poster states that, "that isn't an e-ring style" because there's no such thing. And for the times when people point out "grey" or "brown" in a stone--why do that? The OP has not said, "my stone has no grey or brown" so there is nothing to correct.

I would certainly like you to be accurate; I would want you to correct the kind of things that you listed as examples. Those are logistics and facts that help readers and posters learn new, accurate things. But, I wouldn't call an e-ring style a fact, I wouldn't call the color of a pad a fact, and I just don't see the point in analyzing a stone rate the quality of its cut or the amount "gray" or "brown" in it to be meaningful if the poster hasn't either a) asked for the criticism or b) posted a comment to the contrary (in which case, a correction might make sense for the sake of accuracy and education).

My post isn't about being nice; I'm not complaining about a lack of niceness on the board or because my feelings are hurt. My comment and reason for posting less on that board is because I don't enjoy the criticism when its unwarranted; CS used to be a place that seemed to invite readers and lurkers to become posters, and I think its lost that quality. I would love to see more posters, more gems, and more FCD's on that board. To me, that's a lot more fun that seeing a rating breakdown of each posted gem, and still more fun than only seeing the "perfects."

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

This.

Plus, Colored Stones has gotten kind of monotonous. I feel like everyone is looking for a blue sapphire, and lately rubies seem to have popped up as popular. So have emeralds. And I don't have any particular interest in any of those three stones, so I skim over those threads, post where I feel like I might be able to contribute, and keep going on with my day.

Personally speaking, I have a toddler, we just bought a house, so we've been packing, moving, painting, unpacking, cleaning, decorating, etc. I also just got back from a trip across the country. I've also sold off a lot of my collection of loose stones and jewelry, so now I just have some settings to dream up/get made. I'm more mindful about the jewelry purchases I make now, trying to go for quality rather than quantity.

Adding onto that that it's the summer, and everyone is traveling/going back to school/enjoying the hot weather, and you have a serious lack of posts by regulars.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
IndyLady said:

I wished gray or brown weren't considered so unattractive by the CS community . There are many shades of gray that are beautiful and I'm sure brown can also be pretty.

Ditto on Freke about the same topics being posted over and over again. I wish people would read some of the stickies up top and some threads before posting requests. Most of them tend to be round 2+ ct sapphires.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to love the colored stones board, but don't post as much because I find that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to-- there is a lot of unsolicited criticism on the board, and I hate to see it directed to a new poster that is just trying to share a piece that they are very excited about. I've read everything from, "that stone has a lot of grey/brown/etc." to "that's not really a padparadscha" to "that setting doesn't strike me as an e-ring style" when a poster is simply sharing their new purchase.

I would never make such a comment about a stone that was already purchased, but would about one that someone was contemplating purchasing. (We have had conversations on this topic on Pricescope many times before.)

The time before someone makes a purchase is a time in which he can be warned.

You may be right that there is too much raining on the parades of others in Colored Stones, however. I am not there anymore enough to know. When I read these comments I remembered making some unsolicited negative comments on a stone recently. I feel guilty because I think it was a situation like one of the ones discussed here: I think the poster loved the stone. Everyone else seemed to love it, too. There was really no reason for me to spoil the poster's pleasure in the stone.... Except that I felt that the vendor might be up to something because I saw a glowing red that was not a true red on my monitor-a red that had an orange glow-and I didn't trust the vendor. Should I have shut up? Especially when more expert posters were endorsing the stone? Or should I have said something when I saw it? I have looked at a heap of red stones.

...and I realize that this is going a bit off topic.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1376632164|3504217 said:
They don't.

Kenny--I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think you misunderstood my point. I don't like it when a poster states that, "that isn't an e-ring style" because there's no such thing. And for the times when people point out "grey" or "brown" in a stone--why do that? The OP has not said, "my stone has no grey or brown" so there is nothing to correct.

I would certainly like you to be accurate; I would want you to correct the kind of things that you listed as examples. Those are logistics and facts that help readers and posters learn new, accurate things. But, I wouldn't call an e-ring style a fact, I wouldn't call the color of a pad a fact, and I just don't see the point in analyzing a stone rate the quality of its cut or the amount "gray" or "brown" in it to be meaningful if the poster hasn't either a) asked for the criticism or b) posted a comment to the contrary (in which case, a correction might make sense for the sake of accuracy and education).

My post isn't about being nice; I'm not complaining about a lack of niceness on the board or because my feelings are hurt. My comment and reason for posting less on that board is because I don't enjoy the criticism when its unwarranted; CS used to be a place that seemed to invite readers and lurkers to become posters, and I think its lost that quality. I would love to see more posters, more gems, and more FCD's on that board. To me, that's a lot more fun that seeing a rating breakdown of each posted gem, and still more fun than only seeing the "perfects."

Exactly how I feel and why I basically stopped posting on CS. I freely admit that I'm pretty shy in real life so that may have some baring on how I feel but I got pretty tired of feeling like I needed to justify why I bought a certain piece. I just wanted to share what I had and not feel like I was being judged because I bought from the wrong vendor or I didn't have the most perfect color, cut, etc. or I committed the most heinous crime on CS of buying a piece of jewelry without a cert simply because I loved it.

I was posting on Show me the Bling for quite a while but I have found that the dynamic has changed and there are very few of us "oldies" [and by oldies I mean OLD!] around any more. I don't feel like I fit with all the youngun's these days. :lol: If I have something to contribute in one of the "show me" threads I will still post but I don't post new threads anymore.

I do have to admit that while I didn't post on them I really did enjoy all the great discussion threads in the past.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
"I just lack the patience to explain real life to people." :roll:

Why don't I post more often? Why am I here less?

I guess I was tired of someone always trying to "explain real life" to me.

As if they had a clue.

But the same old posts about nothing interesting will not generate interest.

Examples:

What are you making for dinner?
What's in your makeup bag?
I've been dissed at my local jewelry store by a rude clerk who doesn't know jack about stones.
My SIL (MIL, FIL, fill in the blank) is a real pain in the ass.
My boyfriend isn't asking, but I'm dying to get engaged so I've been looking at rings online for months.
What baby diapers do you recommend?

I could go on. But I might fall asleep while listing more.

Am I using hyperbole here? Sure. But I'm not laying it on that thick. There are days, many of them, when that's about how (un)interesting it is here on PS.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376051237|3499599 said:
After lurking and being active on PS for almost 8/9 years I would say PS is cyclical in nature. It will get slow and then it will speed back up again. I do miss alot of the old posters though. It seems this year in particular a lot of ppl left.

This! Is has become boring to me since I'm fighting serious health issues and am no longer seeing the fun projects where former posters were looking for the perfect CS. It was exciting when I could join in and hunt for my perfect CS, too. :(sad

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results