shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden gems: your top 5 loose CS stones

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These didn't make the top 5, by just a hair, but I'm keeping them, I think. Tourmaline (Jeff White), yellow and light purple sapphires (Gary Braun), pink zircon (Daniel Davies), Mahenge garnet (Josh Rioux)

IMG_9763.jpg s913627216465936_p364_i1_w160.jpeg s913627216465936_p336_i1_w160.jpeg
PkZircon.jpg MahengeGarnet2.png

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These didn't make the top 5, by just a hair, but I'm keeping them, I think. Tourmaline (Jeff White), yellow and light purple sapphires (Gary Braun), pink zircon (Daniel Davies), Mahenge garnet (Josh Rioux)

IMG_9763.jpg s913627216465936_p364_i1_w160.jpeg s913627216465936_p336_i1_w160.jpeg

Now I know where that yellow sapphire went. I had it saved on my Amazon wish list (someone please tell me I’m not the only one that does that). Did you post more pics somewhere? I’d love to see them. :love:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Love all of these!!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Now I know where that yellow sapphire went. I had it saved on my Amazon wish list (someone please tell me I’m not the only one that does that).

I didn't know I could go through Amazon. o_O Gary came out here a couple times. I met with him and his gaggle of stones and purchased the two sapphires, a grey spinel, an indicolite cab, and a pietersite cab, which is really quite a fun stone! It was my costliest Starbucks trip ever!!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know I could go through Amazon. o_O Gary came out here a couple times. I met with him and his gaggle of stones and purchased the two sapphires, a grey spinel, an indicolite cab, and a pietersite cab, which is really quite a fun stone! It was my costliest Starbucks trip ever!!!

That sounds like a boat load of fun! Expensive but fun! :D I hope to see more of that yellow sapphire. :twisted2:

You can’t buy through Amazon but Amazon has a wish list feature that allows you to link items from any website. If you click the link you saved in amazon, it just brings you to the item’s website (fine water, in this case). I usually save gems I like there because my annoying brain refuses to hold onto any info long term. :wall:

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a boat load of fun! Expensive but fun! :D I hope to see more of that yellow sapphire. :twisted2:

You can’t buy through Amazon but Amazon has a wish list feature that allows you to link items from any website. If you click the link you saved in amazon, it just brings you to the item’s website (fine water, in this case). I usually save gems I like there because my annoying brain refuses to hold onto any info long term. :wall:

I need to figure this amazon wish list feature out. Then I can fill it up with Christmas hints. :mrgreen2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0121.JPG wishlist.jpg
Paraiba oval, unheated cornflower blue sapphire oval, indicolite tourmaline round, tsavorite oval, and rubellite round...here's my pretties of the day. :kiss2:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0121.JPG wishlist.jpg
Paraiba oval, unheated cornflower blue sapphire oval, indicolite tourmaline round, tsavorite oval, and rubellite round...here's my pretties of the day. :kiss2:

Lovely ! Can we get a close up shot of that round indicolite? Would you be able to share where you got it ?

S

SparkliesLuver

These two Paraibas and my remaining unset cobalt spinels (I don't have a picture of my largest one) are my favorite loose stones. :) Oh, and I love my melee too. hehe Can't wait to set everything!

IMG_4430.JPG

_MG_4163_s.jpg

IMG_4433.JPG

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
These two Paraibas and my remaining unset cobalt spinels (I don't have a picture of my largest one) are my favorite loose stones. :) Oh, and I love my melee too. hehe Can't wait to set everything!

IMG_4430.JPG

_MG_4163_s.jpg

IMG_4433.JPG

Incredible Paraibas! I hope to get one one day just like your rounds.

I remember I discussed the Cobalt with you. It’s insanely beautiful! Puts all other spinels to shame

S

SparkliesLuver

Incredible Paraibas! I hope to get one one day just like your rounds.

I remember I discussed the Cobalt with you. It’s insanely beautiful! Puts all other spinels to shame

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words. :) I never thought I'd own a blue one, so needless to say I'm over the moon about them.

haha Yep, we did! I'm so in love with the material - it's electric in person.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have 11 stones or sets to make into jewelry :oops2:

I tried to pick out 5 and these are it:

spess garnet, hot pink mahenge spinel, pure pink spinel, mint garnet and teal tourmaline. They are reasonably small, many being around 5 mm, but they are so bright!

upload_2018-9-20_15-28-36.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-34-20.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-32-32.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-31-18.png

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Finally, a light lavender and deep blue parti sapphire... next to a single sapphire that came from an earring after I lost the other one.

Thinking out loud:

I adore the Parti... The two together look as if colour from the small blue seeped into the large one; I'd have them set as a three-stone with the large E-W, the small N-S on the blue side of the center and another oval - colourless or matching the faint lavender to some degree, on the other side...

2c

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking out loud:

I adore the Parti... The two together look as if colour from the small blue seeped into the large one; I'd have them set as a three-stone with the large E-W, the small N-S on the blue side of the center and another oval - colourless or matching the faint lavender to some degree, on the other side...

2c
What a great idea! Thankyou so much. That seeping ink look is why I had to purchase the sapphire. I’ll get around to setting it sometime on the near future.

Reactions: AV_

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_4430.JPG

_MG_4163_s.jpg

IMG_4433.JPG

Drool...:drool:

Those paraibas are so gorgeous! I can’t wait to see them set. :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 11 stones or sets to make into jewelry :oops2:

I tried to pick out 5 and these are it:

spess garnet, hot pink mahenge spinel, pure pink spinel, mint garnet and teal tourmaline. They are reasonably small, many being around 5 mm, but they are so bright!

upload_2018-9-20_15-28-36.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-34-20.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-32-32.png
upload_2018-9-20_15-31-18.png

I love them all but that pink spinel is killer. :love: :love: :love:
Can’t wait to see these set.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
It was really hard for me to narrow it down so I did my top SIX cabs and then top SIX cut gemstones (:

20180921_205342(1).jpg
1. My little 4mm pad
2. Demantoid garnet
3. Imperial-ish topaz
4. Light pinkish spinel
5. Emerald cut apatite
6. Amethyst with pretty violet color

180921_212841_COLLAGE-1.jpg
icm_fullxfull.171853008_p6hdcy2126so444o88cs.jpg icm_fullxfull.169372408_3ud86e7mwcmc4s4gk80k.jpg s-l400 (4).jpg Screenshot_2018-09-21-21-33-45.png
I enjoy cabs a little more than other gems so I put more effort into cultivating ones that I really enjoy.
1. A HUGE lapis from Pakistan I believe....ive thought about making a huge lapis heart with it but the size and shape now is fun to hold. Whatever it becomes in a couple years....it will definitely be a ring...sue me!
2. 7mm pretty blue green emerald that I recently purchased.
3. A black Australian opal from lightning ridge...I love how different it is.
4. A large yummy aquamarine cats eye
5. Another recent purchase of a 18ct lilac-baby blue lilac color changing star sapphire...I'm totally in love with it.
6. My two 6mm cat eye alexandrites

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was really hard for me to narrow it down so I did my top SIX cabs and then top SIX cut gemstones (:

20180921_205342(1).jpg
1. My little 4mm pad
2. Demantoid garnet
3. Imperial-ish topaz
4. Light pinkish spinel
5. Emerald cut apatite
6. Amethyst with pretty violet color

180921_212841_COLLAGE-1.jpg
icm_fullxfull.171853008_p6hdcy2126so444o88cs.jpg icm_fullxfull.169372408_3ud86e7mwcmc4s4gk80k.jpg s-l400 (4).jpg Screenshot_2018-09-21-21-33-45.png
I enjoy cabs a little more than other gems so I put more effort into cultivating ones that I really enjoy.
1. A HUGE lapis from Pakistan I believe....ive thought about making a huge lapis heart with it but the size and shape now is fun to hold. Whatever it becomes in a couple years....it will definitely be a ring...sue me!
2. 7mm pretty blue green emerald that I recently purchased.
3. A black Australian opal from lightning ridge...I love how different it is.
4. A large yummy aquamarine cats eye
5. Another recent purchase of a 18ct lilac-baby blue lilac color changing star sapphire...I'm totally in love with it.
6. My two 6mm cat eye alexandrites
Just gorgeous! I can so relate to you....I’m definitely a cab girl myself, though I really appreciate faceted gems. I feel that cabochons tell a story, and are like microcosms. I Love all of your gems, but especially your star, opal and the cat’s eye Alexandrites. Any plans for those? Congratulations on the lovely emerald cab! And...that lapis is amazing. I love the size and soft, organic shape. I’ve never seen one like it before. The flow of The shape really creates a wonderful softness with the strong, opaque color.

voce

Ideal_Rock
My 5 favorite:

- paraiba tourmaline
- mint garnet
- mahenge spinel
- blue zircon
- electric blue topaz

C5ADCA01-DFE0-45EE-9E4B-6DCC9A4B0790.jpeg
Beautiful! @elle_71125 you must set those! Are you planning to go custom with all of them, or can you snatch a couple stock settings and get them set shortly?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just gorgeous! I can so relate to you....I’m definitely a cab girl myself, though I really appreciate faceted gems. I feel that cabochons tell a story, and are like microcosms. I Love all of your gems, but especially your star, opal and the cat’s eye Alexandrites. Any plans for those? Congratulations on the lovely emerald cab! And...that lapis is amazing. I love the size and soft, organic shape. I’ve never seen one like it before. The flow of The shape really creates a wonderful softness with the strong, opaque color.

Hello Again! I do think we have slightly more similar taste (: The only difference is you have curated and collected such drool worthy pieces in all courts of gems...and I just barely started trying to do just that.
You're definitely someone that I look up to when it comes to your collection.

& About cabochons...I thought I used to love them because they represented a more earthy state of gemstone, but other than certain bytroidal gems its just as unnatural to shape them into cabs as it is to facet them.
I think that youre very right and that there is a certain magic to cabs, that with their domes they represent the Earth and other little worlds.

& for the gemstones you mentioned I have no plans for the Alex's just yet.
The cost of the star sapphire is kinda holding a few of my large projects back...but its totally worth it....I'm just in love. I still need to think of a name for it!
When I do ill post some photos in the star thread along with its new name.:kiss2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Again! I do think we have slightly more similar taste (: The only difference is you have curated and collected such drool worthy pieces in all courts of gems...and I just barely started trying to do just that.
You're definitely someone that I look up to when it comes to your collection.

& About cabochons...I thought I used to love them because they represented a more earthy state of gemstone, but other than certain bytroidal gems its just as unnatural to shape them into cabs as it is to facet them.
I think that youre very right and that there is a certain magic to cabs, that with their domes they represent the Earth and other little worlds.

& for the gemstones you mentioned I have no plans for the Alex's just yet.
The cost of the star sapphire is kinda holding a few of my large projects back...but its totally worth it....I'm just in love. I still need to think of a name for it!
When I do ill post some photos in the star thread along with its new name.:kiss2:
Thank you for the kind compliment about my collection. It has been an intuitive process for me, in which notice that I tend return to phenomenal gems and cabs most often. You are right, some things need to be faceted, this decision enhancing the ‘soul’ of the stone.

Can’t wait to see your star in the star thread, along with it’s name!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A HUGE lapis from Pakistan I believe....

For the first time I do not have any lapis lazuli in the house - always a favorite blue & so very wearable: Black'n Blue!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! @elle_71125 you must set those! Are you planning to go custom with all of them, or can you snatch a couple stock settings and get them set shortly?

I’d love to set them all right now but I never seem to buy calibrated sizes. ;(
I already have custom projects planned for the mahenge and the paraiba but I could potentially set the mint garnet in a stock setting since it’s 5.9mm. ;)2

Now to find a stock setting that isn’t too expensive but still lives up to my blingy expectations. :shifty:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I am really itching to set these babies together, just can't work it out in my mind. Would love any ideas ya'll might have!

They are a 9x11 unheated blue cuprian tourmaline and a 5x7 hot pink mahenge spinel that I've had for over 10 years. 20181003_082515.jpg

I also have a 8x9 green cuprian tourmaline and a 7x9 chrysoberyl that deserve to see the light of day. 20181002_183555.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am really itching to set these babies together, just can't work it out in my mind. Would love any ideas ya'll might have!

They are a 9x11 unheated blue cuprian tourmaline and a 5x7 hot pink mahenge spinel that I've had for over 10 years. 20181003_082515.jpg

I also have a 8x9 green cuprian tourmaline and a 7x9 chrysoberyl that deserve to see the light of day. 20181002_183555.jpg
When I saw the 9x11 cuprian and the 5x7 spinel together in the same container, I couldn't help but see them put tip-to-tip as a lopsided heart. If you set them together this way it would make for a totally unique ring or pendant, with lovely contrasting colors!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results