shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden gems: your top 5 loose CS stones

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
@colorluvr I am dead over here. LOVE!!!

Thank you - unfortunately I'm retired now, so funds aren't what they used to be so I'm not sure how many of these will ever get set. I'm pretty sure I'm going to reset the mahenge spinel, but other than that.... I'm not sure. I'm in waffle mode.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning gems @colorluvr !!!
My personal favourite is your Meralani mint by @PrecisionGem . The cut and colour are amazing. Ban breaking amazing

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@colorluvr - I remember when you first received that beautiful Mahenge. All your stones are gorgeous!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock
Pricescope.jpg

Hi all - long time no talk to :)

More than 5, but I don't own the oval blue sapphire anymore (off to it's new home).

1. 3.5ct Concave cut - Merelani mint precision cut by Gene Flanigan (way prettier IRL and not washed out)
2. 3.26ct Heat only yellow sapphire
3. sold
4. 3ct Mahenge spinel from Primagems
5. 7.25ct Scissor cut blue zircon
6. 4.38ct Apessartite garnet from Primagems
7. 4.95ct greenish blue tourmaline
Lovely colors, @colorluvr :roll2: ...all the colors of the rainbow, except purple?
Hope you get to pass on your wonderful collection to loved ones someday, and cultivate their love for gemstones. :geek2:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely colors, @colorluvr :roll2: ...all the colors of the rainbow, except purple?
Hope you get to pass on your wonderful collection to loved ones someday, and cultivate their love for gemstones. :geek2:

I have a purple sapphire that is set :)

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the color. To me, your green comes to life and glows.

Do you always get stones certified? I usually only get certs for certain stones, typically the more pricey ones. Since being on PS though, it seems a lot of people get stones certified? Hmmm.... maybe I should rethink my strategy!

On your stone being Muzo, I am sure you know this already, but just in case... the cert will tell you it's from Colombia, but unless the stone is traceable to Muzo, AGL will not state that on their report. My emerald is also from Muzo (the dealer I purchased it from mostly does Muzo and a few Chivor). I asked AGL if they could put Muzo on the report, and that's when they told me they only do that for stones with traceable papers, or if I want to pay extra cost to have them investigate and trace, they can do that. I said no because I love my emerald and would keep it regardless. I completely trusted the dealer, and the only reason why I even got the stone certified was in case I wanted to purchase more stones from him as he a lot of bright green emeralds. wanted to be sure his stones were only minor enhancement as he he said. His stones were so pretty and I have never seen such a big batch of loose clear emeralds. I do plan to purchase a few more emeralds from him to match my current one (to make a parure), but I was not planning on going through the hassle to get those certified. But now, having wandered into this forum, hmmm... maybe I should certify more.

I can't wait to see how you set that emerald! I hope I find your thread when you post it. There are so many wonderful threads in PS I could spend months in PS non-stop and never get through.

I think I will hang out more on the Colored Gems forum... you ladies here have so many beautiful colorful stones and rings!

Hi, Miki Moto.
I have bought some gems with certificates, but most of the time the certificate is awfully expensive compared to the price of the gem, especially if you get more details noted. I am probably on more of a budget than most people here on PS. The scientist part of me would love to send them all off, but the budget manager says, “Naw, just save the money and buy more rocks.” I am trying to learn all I can about looking at features of the stones such as minor inclusions, zoning, fluorescence, etc. so I avoid making mistakes. I don’t care very much about origin as long as I love the color. :razz:

Your emerald dealer’s shop sounds like a candy store! I love your beautiful emerald and I hope the earrings come out lovely too. Can’t wait to see pictures when your parure is ready!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C218A284-DE54-43F7-8087-D8DE88D4042D.jpeg 5F486B73-627E-4796-ABB2-144B82129A0E.jpeg 55CF2141-1C13-4345-8EA0-58C9B3607E40.jpeg @MissyBeaucoup Hi! Thanks for your insight. I am going to follow your thoughts too and only get a few pieces certified. You are right, color king to me too and I don’t care about other stuff as much. Thanks for that insight.

The dealer WAS a candy store! I went back to him four times in three days, and he was so kind. I took a photo (with his permission) of his booth and thought I would share it here for some eye candy.

The emeralds in the first photo look a bit lighter due to the lighting at the show and probably the way I took the photo. His emeralds look more like the last two photos.

I don’t have 5 loose colored stones to post here, and I am catching with you ladies, but here is the one loose emerald I bought. It is the single stone in the last photo.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
C218A284-DE54-43F7-8087-D8DE88D4042D.jpeg 5F486B73-627E-4796-ABB2-144B82129A0E.jpeg 55CF2141-1C13-4345-8EA0-58C9B3607E40.jpeg @MissyBeaucoup Hi! Thanks for your insight. I am going to follow your thoughts too and only get a few pieces certified. You are right, color king to me too and I don’t care about other stuff as much. Thanks for that insight.

The dealer WAS a candy store! I went back to him four times in three days, and he was so kind. I took a photo (with his permission) of his booth and thought I would share it here for some eye candy.

The emeralds in the first photo look a bit lighter due to the lighting at the show and probably the way I took the photo. His emeralds look more like the last two photos.

I don’t have 5 loose colored stones to post here, and I am catching with you ladies, but here is the one loose emerald I bought. It is the single stone in the last photo.

Wow! That shop is amazing! This is the shade of emerald I most admire. You did wonderfully with your choice! It is beautifully saturated with a hint of blue. What a gorgeous start to your collection!

I think emerald is one of the most difficult stones to buy. It doesn’t have the same criteria as other stones. You were brave to make this queen of stones one of your first big purchases. Your dealer gave you such pretty and tempting emeralds to choose from. You really did well! :love:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for thinking of me during this time!!!

We were all with our beautiful and loved kitty last night when she died at 9:30. She went peacefully. It was so tough to watch her over the weekend, but in the end, she was glad to be at home with us. She stayed near us for her last few hours and even purred lightly as we pet her in her last moments. We will bury her later today when our kids get home from work.

At first I was angry she died but now I’m so grateful she got to be a part of our lives. Today we start healing.

This is a great thread and I’m glad to see it getting back to what it was meant to be. So many beautiful loose gems!

Great hugs to everyone!!!

Sorry for your loss.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope.jpg

More than 5, but I don't own the oval blue sapphire anymore (off to it's new home).

1. 3.5ct Concave cut - Merelani mint precision cut by Gene Flanigan (way prettier IRL and not washed out)
3. sold

WOW I don’t like yellow but yours is stunning....the color saturation of the stones you picked really appeal to me. :mrgreen2::mrgreen2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, I will get the pics in a few days. Do I dare to set it? I'm thinking DK has the bench to do it. It's soooo risky but that's ok. I'd love to have it in a ring but that's not possible. The color is to die for. What do you think about me buying another from Brad, a different shape but the same glow, and setting them in earrings?
Feb14CoRhodo.gif

Nov15RhodochrositeII.gif

I know I'm crazy but I love the color...

I have one rhodochrosite, not the best one, and I agree, the color of this stone is amazing.

About earrings - ears are a wonderful system, with many levels of defense, but for this very reason, earrings get dirty sooner than bracelets or even rings. Worse, they get oily. For this very reason, I do not believe that any stone that would not tolerate a good regular cleaning is suitable for earrings. (I might be wrong, and also, the shape of earlobes might play the role, too). So if you decide to use rhodochrosite for earrings (I love the concept of different shapes), they have to be hanging, and low.

A pendant with two stones could be gorgeous.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pricescope.jpg

3. sold

Love your spessartite!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is emerald goals! I love the slightly lighter color (my personal preference). That baby really packs a punch! :mrgreen2:

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I don't have daughters or grandchildren (and my son couldn't care less), but I do have one great-niece that pointed out to me that my ring and earrings matched when she was about 5 years old, so we may have a contender :)

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Love your spessartite!

Thank you! I've purchased and then sold several lovely spessartites that were the more traditional spessartite color (more yellow or some brown) because I didn't care for them on my skin tone, but this one is more like orange lava so I really do love it.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I've purchased and then sold several lovely spessartites that were the more traditional spessartite color (more yellow or some brown) because I didn't care for them on my skin tone, but this one is more like orange lava so I really do love it.

“More like orange lava”...what a great description! Captures it exactly!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is super cool, @mochiko42 !
I have never heard of it. Can you tell us more about how you found It?

I first came across it maybe a year or so ago on Instagram, a seller I followed posted some. I was immediately drawn to the eye-catching blue color and the fascinating growth patterns of the dumortierite rutile suspended, almost like it was floating, in the clear quartz.

This particular stone I got from Etsy, it's cheap and plentiful enough (roughly the same price as rutilated quartz) but it takes time to find a nice piece that has attractive inclusions. :wavey:

Here's a better photo where you can see the dumortierite more clearly:
21690686_274294699755651_2602054821875810304_n.jpg

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I first came across it maybe a year or so ago on Instagram, a seller I followed posted some. I was immediately drawn to the eye-catching blue color and the fascinating growth patterns of the dumortierite rutile suspended, almost like it was floating, in the clear quartz.

This particular stone I got from Etsy, it's cheap and plentiful enough (roughly the same price as rutilated quartz) but it takes time to find a nice piece that has attractive inclusions. :wavey:

Very cool!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pricescope.jpg

3. sold
These are all so vibrant and beautiful! You have some lovely eye candy in great sizes!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Those inclusions are stunning! And the color is gorgeous too!

Thanks for the close up shot....DROOL...

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I finally sifted through my mess and found my 5. It was really difficult! The good news is I decided that I can part with several of them. Presenting my beryl (Jeff White), spinel (Gene), tanzanite (Top Tanzanite), tourmaline (Gene), and zircon (Jeff Davies):

Faves2.JPG Faves.JPG

voce

Ideal_Rock
@MrsKMB Another beautiful, color saturated collection!
Just curious, which gems are you going to part with? Are you going to list them on LT? I want to see the ones that didn't make your top 5, as well!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MrsKMB Another beautiful, color saturated collection!
Just curious, which gems are you going to part with? Are you going to list them on LT? I want to see the ones that didn't make your top 5, as well!

I’m curious too about which ones can be parted with and if we will see them listed somewhere?! :twisted2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results