shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Engagement Ring Upgrade

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
First off just want to reiterate how much I appreciate both of your help!! :pray:

Is the price difference between this and the 2.56 due to the difference in clarity? I'm a little confused about that part. Its kind of a big price difference for that jump in size!

Wondering if I should just flat out order the 3.5 so I can compare them side by side... I'm super unfamiliar with the terms and all of the things to look for in a diamond so I might just need to go by what it looks like to my naked eye. Feeling a little ignorant not knowing all of the terms and how everything relates while spending so much. I'm googling as I see your replies and feedback!

D VVS1 to E VS1...1 color grade and 2 clarity grades difference will have a very measurable difference in pricing, then the pricing difference for the carat weight factored in.
Bang for the buck factor is strong for this 3.50, in my opinion.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
THE 2.56 IS HERE!!!!!!
I'm horrible at taking pics. Let me know what angles you would like to see!
Officially put in my order for the 3.50 and waiting for the confirmation it has been secured. I'm so ecstatic! I feel like Golem with my new precious, lol!
Too scared to take it out of the casing but I will if anyone would like to see!
IMG_9391.jpeg IMG_9393.jpeg IMG_9392.jpeg

next to my current ring
IMG_9398.jpeg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
It’s difficult to see in The case.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
I think you’ll definitely like the size bump to the 3.5 since your current ring gives the illusion that it’s close in size to the 2.5

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Great looking diamond!
Wow!

Now I'm *really* looking forward to pics and vids of the 3.50!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’ll definitely like the size bump to the 3.5 since your current ring gives the illusion that it’s close in size to the 2.5

I agree with this!

@bling, your pictures are terrific! The diamond is awesome, and I too can't wait to see it with the 3.50!

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all!! I’m so stoked to get the 3.5

I’ve noticed this little circle that shows on the bottom of some diamonds. Is there a term for this and is it on all round diamonds? ED646C69-135F-4B53-89FB-133CE9598BF6.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all!! I’m so stoked to get the 3.5

I’ve noticed this little circle that shows on the bottom of some diamonds. Is there a term for this and is it on all round diamonds? ED646C69-135F-4B53-89FB-133CE9598BF6.jpeg

Do you mean the circle in the very middle, before the arrows begin?

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Okay I thought the photos were bad but turns out the diamond was super dirty and smudgy. SMH. I cleaned it and the pics are way better! Took photos in different areas of my house. Need to find a higher res camera.

Living room
IMG_9444.jpeg IMG_9436.jpeg
IMG_9447.jpeg

Bathroom lighting (my favorite!!!) IMG_9452.jpeg IMG_9453.jpeg

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Just a word of advice. I love bathroom lighting too, but close the drain before you take out a loose stone.

LOL! You’re totally right. I’m horrified thinking what would’ve happened if I dropped it

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! You’re totally right. I’m horrified thinking what would’ve happened if I dropped it

I laid a towel over the whole sink! But I did lose the little thing down in the sofa one night. It was awful!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Okay I thought the photos were bad but turns out the diamond was super dirty and smudgy. SMH. I cleaned it and the pics are way better! Took photos in different areas of my house. Need to find a higher res camera.

Living room
IMG_9444.jpeg IMG_9436.jpeg
IMG_9447.jpeg

Bathroom lighting (my favorite!!!) IMG_9452.jpeg IMG_9453.jpeg

Gorgeous! Wait until you see the 3.5, you’re going to be soooo blown away by the size

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
While we’re all waiting for the 3.5 to get here, would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on settings. I trust PSers more than anything so your advice is super helpful in this process! Since the stones are rather large I don’t feel like simple Google information on engagement rings is applicable. Don’t want anyone to think I didn’t try to research these questions before I asked lol.

Here are my preferences:
  • Super minimalistic prongs for both the center stone and pave band
  • Pointed claws for the center stone, like the ones in the hope style below
  • 4 prongs
  • Wedding band and engagement rings to be flush
Debating on doing prongs or a basket. I’m kinda leaning toward prongs only because it’ll annoy me if I can see the basket from the top.

Main questions/concerns:
  • Definitely securing the diamond properly. I work at an office job so won’t be doing anything crazy, but I’ll be wearing these as much as I can so want it to be somewhat durable so I don’t have to baby it.
  • Will the basket/rail make a huge difference in the way the stone looks? I read that it blocks light from getting into the stone.
  • Does the rail part of the basket have to sit in a certain area of the diamond? Can it sit lower so I won’t see it from the top? The heart ring in my profile pic shows the basket a lot unless it’s perfectly positioned and over time it’s started to bother me.
  • Any structural pros/cons about the ring connecting from the bottom of the prongs vs higher on the diamond (shoulder)?
  • Does the diamond sitting higher or lower impact the way the it looks?
  • I think I look better in yellow gold jewelry but don’t want to take away from the sparkle factor. Would you stick to platinum?
  • The local jeweler I would use doesn’t do cad drawings or have a showroom where I can try on the ring styles. I believe he can customize the settings but I have to know exactly what I want.
  • Also considering reaching out to David Klass or open to recommendations!
Attaching pics with the ring style names.
:wavey: Please let me know your favorite(s) and why!

My top pick as of right now based purely on aesthetics.
5B0988E3-DE94-4448-9DCC-C0D8AE9CCBA2.jpeg

Pre-designed settings from my local jeweler:
2BA4757F-4DCC-4AD8-A3DE-FFEC951FB107.jpeg 856B4FCA-77CF-43E4-8850-AFEAD48A11D0.jpeg

Random other ones I like
07566EBA-30D9-467D-B515-C99FEAA17871.jpeg

Idk why but these are giving me football helmet vibes lol. Just wanted to include.
62DE8BED-33F9-4BE2-8FFF-2EA159896124.jpeg F848ED88-CA38-45AE-97CF-261E1BE0E576.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  • Will the basket/rail make a huge difference in the way the stone looks? I read that it blocks light from getting into the stone.

No, light enters and exits from the top, so the basket won't make any difference.

• Does the rail part of the basket have to sit in a certain area of the diamond? Can it sit lower so I won’t see it from the top? The heart ring in my profile pic shows the basket a lot unless it’s perfectly positioned and over time it’s started to bother me.

You can definitely ask to have the basket sit lower so you won't see it from a top. If you use a CAD/cast jeweler like David Klass (who'd be able to do these types of settings beautifully), you can ask for a plastic model to make sure the basket sits in the right place.

• Any structural pros/cons about the ring connecting from the bottom of the prongs vs higher on the diamond (shoulder)?

I believe a cathedral setting like Hope, Ritani, or Lissome is more structurally sound because the head is attached in two locations (the bottom of the prongs and the basket) instead of only one.

• Does the diamond sitting higher or lower impact the way the it looks?

A diamond sitting higher may look just a tad bigger, but also has some security risk in being easier to get knocked around.

• I think I look better in yellow gold jewelry but don’t want to take away from the sparkle factor. Would you stick to platinum?

The gold color shouldn't impact the sparkle factor at all. Get what you really want!

The biggest issue I see is having the wedding band sit flush. I think none of these settings allow for that except for Vivianna *if* you have a low-set wedding band. I would also recommend not having diamonds near the base like Demi and Ritani because the diamonds will scratch up any adjacent bands. My favorite of the settings you posted is Lissome, but I would make the prongs more concave to allow for a flush-fitting band.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Kim N !
Whewww I just got a quote from the local jeweler. I used the hope as my reference and asked for the rail lower and the bottom of the basket like the lissette. $4,500 for the engagement ring and $3,000 for a matching pave band. I’m shocked.. I was expecting $3,000 total… Plus need to pay $250 to sit down with him for a design meeting... Is that unrealistic? Lol.

I paid less than $3,000 to set my heart ring at the same place and that was way more custom work. It was about 2 years ago. Also emailed DK.

I would definitely recommend working with DK. The pricing is very reasonable for the quality and workmanship. My recent solitaire reset with a completely custom design, detailed platinum bezel and 14kt rose gold shank cost me $1,700. There is no “sit down” fee either.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely recommend working with DK. The pricing is very reasonable for the quality and workmanship. My recent solitaire reset with a completely custom design, detailed platinum bezel and 14kt rose gold shank cost me $1,700. There is no “sit down” fee either.

Thank you! I hope to hear back from him soon!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
That looks like a great size on you! Looking forward to what you think of the side-by-side comparison.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The 3.50 looks great, to me!
It will favor more fire, so put it under as intense as direct lighting (with multiple sources) as you possibly can to bring out its performance potential.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a great size on you! Looking forward to what you think of the side-by-side comparison.

I agree, can't wait for the comparison!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I like the size also and it dances really well in your hand shots

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I would love to see ASET images of both... because I'm thinking there might be some digging that was applied to the 3.50

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results