shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Engagement Ring Upgrade

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I’m deciding between a few lab diamond options and need a bit of help narrowing down my choices. My fiancé and I are finally having our dream wedding this August and I’m so excited to build my engagement ring! I will admit that I’m not very well versed with diamonds or lab diamonds but please let me know which of the following options y’all would choose or I’m totally open to other suggestions. Diamonds are linked. The most important thing to me is the sparkle of the diamond. I’m so excited and see what y’all have to say!

I’m looking for:
2.25+ ct
Color: D-E
Cut: I-SI
Clarity: VVS1-FL

Diamond 1 (Local jeweler):
$7,797
Certified by IGI

Carat Weight
2.38 Carats​
Color Grade
D​
Clarity Grade
VVS 1​
Cut Grade
IDEAL​
Polish
EXCELLENT​
Symmetry
EXCELLENT​
Measurements
8.60 - 8.64 x 5.19 mm​
Table Size
58.5%​
Crown Height
13.5% - 32.9°​
Pavilion Depth
43% - 40.7°​
Girdle Thickness
MEDIUM (FACETED)​
Culet
POINTED​
Total Depth
60.2%​
Fluorescence
NONE​
Comments
This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) growth process and may include post-growth treatment Type​
Diamond 2 (BE):
$13,880
Carat: 2.43
Cut: Super Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1
L:W: 1
Fluor.: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Table: 58%
Origin: Lab Created
Measurements: 8.74 x 8.70 x 5.29
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin - Medium
Depth: 60.6%
Report: GCAL

Diamond 3 (BE):
$11,120
Carat: 2.58
Cut: Super Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1
L:W: 1
Fluor.: None
Symmetry: Excellent
Table: 54%
Origin: Lab Created
Measurements: 8.82 x 8.80 x 5.46
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Depth: 62%
Report: GCAL

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these are lab the prices are way too high. I’m sure Kim, deja or sledge will be along soon with better options!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant Earth is wayyyy too expensive and also has a number of negative reviews.

The local jeweler's stone has a very low crown and will look kind of flat-looking in profile.

Take a look at these cheaper alternatives instead.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Brilliant Earth is wayyyy too expensive and also has a number of negative reviews.

The local jeweler's stone has a very low crown and will look kind of flat-looking in profile.

Take a look at these cheaper alternatives instead.

Kim thank you! Any favorites of the choices you listed? Those sizes are perfect. Would you recommend buying the whole ring from ritani or just the diamond? I’m leaning toward the 2.56.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim thank you! Any favorites of the choices you listed? Those sizes are perfect. Would you recommend buying the whole ring from ritani or just the diamond? I’m leaning toward the 2.56.

I actually like the 2.56 the best too. Ritani can be hit-or-miss with settings. You could buy the whole ring, and return just the setting if you end up not liking it.

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
I actually like the 2.56 the best too. Ritani can be hit-or-miss with settings. You could buy the whole ring, and return just the setting if you end up not liking it.

Kim, do you think she should put that stone on hold if Ritani allows that? The stones selected by you, Deja Wiz and Sledge tend to be sniped very quickly.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim, do you think she should put that stone on hold if Ritani allows that? The stones selected by you, Deja Wiz and Sledge tend to be sniped very quickly.

Definitely, great reminder! I forgot to mention it. blingbae, even if you're still only thinking about it, I'd put it on hold ASAP.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello, blingbae!

Here are some more options (all D color grade) for you to looks at within your budget:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock

Thankful for your recommendation! I emailed for a hold and tried to chat them but he ended up purchasing the stone for me :)

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Hello, blingbae!

Here are some more options (all D color grade) for you to looks at within your budget:

Thank you so much for your recommendations!! He just bought me one of the stones from Kim’s post. I super appreciate the time you took to recommend these!!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice! I’m so thankful for your suggestions. We just purchased the 2.56 carat Diamond! And will have my local jeweler set it. Thank you so much for your advice and feedback!!

Oh, that's fantastic! I hope you'll come back to share photos!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Great advice! I’m so thankful for your suggestions. We just purchased the 2.56 carat Diamond! And will have my local jeweler set it. Thank you so much for your advice and feedback!!

Congratulations!

Here is the vendor video and grading report for your new beauty...something to ogle over while your waiting for it to arrive. :)

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Thankful for your recommendation! I emailed for a hold and tried to chat them but he ended up purchasing the stone for me :)

I thought that stone looked so pretty and the numbers impressed me. Here's hoping it's as lovely as it sounds and so happy you snared it.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
You all are so wonderful and I really appreciate everyones feedback. I will DEFINITELY be back with tons of photos!! :kiss2:

Wondering now if I should've went larger... Eyeballing the 3.06 that DejaWiz posted.. How do we feel about that little inclusion, do we think it'll be super noticeable?

For reference uploading photos of my current ring, its a cluster setting about 8mm. I have huge size 11.25 fingers :knockout:
Current.jpeg

Stone size comparison - original and 2.56 ct
Current vs 2.56.jpg

Stone size comparison - original and 3.06 ct
Current vs 3.06.jpg

Any opinions if I should have went larger??

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are so wonderful and I really appreciate everyones feedback. I will DEFINITELY be back with tons of photos!! :kiss2:

Wondering now if I should've went larger... Eyeballing the 3.06 that DejaWiz posted.. How do we feel about that little inclusion, do we think it'll be super noticeable?

For reference uploading photos of my current ring, its a cluster setting about 8mm. I have huge size 11.25 fingers :knockout:
Current.jpeg

Current vs 2.56.jpg

Current vs 3.06.jpg

Yes, go larger! If you're second-guessing the size now, DSS will happen in no time.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
A couple more options for you in the 3-3.5 range.

Sorry what is DDS?! I've seen that used in a couple of other posts lol.

Thank you for the new links! I'm eyeing the 3.02 :kiss2: Do you think the inclusion will be noticeable? I couldn't even see it at all in the video.

I saw some other threads recommending people request aset images. Should I be doing that as well?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I can't remember, at this moment, what the letters DDS stands for, but I know it includes Diamond and syndrome. I do know that it means that you will soon look at your ring and think you might want to go bigger. It does seem to happen a lot! LOL

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry what is DDS?! I've seen that used in a couple of other posts lol.

Thank you for the new links! I'm eyeing the 3.02 :kiss2: Do you think the inclusion will be noticeable? I couldn't even see it at all in the video.

I saw some other threads recommending people request aset images. Should I be doing that as well?

DSS is Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome! :bigsmile:

The 3.02's inclusion won't be noticeable. I would put it on hold first and then request an ASET image. Sometimes Ritani isn't able to provide one. If it were me, I would still feel comfortable buying it even if they can't provide it.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s DSS, diamond shrinking syndrome and it happens! I started with .5 then went to 1.87 and then to 2.25 in mined diamonds. I just purchased a lab 3.66 cause the 2.25 is starting to look small lol

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Current.jpeg

Current vs 2.56.jpg

Current vs 3.06.jpg

There's no humanly way that inclusions will be visible without magnification in a VS1 graded by a reputable lab. :)

That being said, the amazing 3.50 Kim N just posted has your name written on it...probably laser engraved right next to the inscription! :lol:
At that price...don't let that one get away - and it'll go quick now that it's been posted!
If this one was available a few months ago and I had the additional budget, then I would have snagged it in a heartbeat over the 2.76 that I bought!

Better to go larger now and decide you want to exchange for a little smaller while in the return window than to decide that you should have gone bigger a couple/few months after the return period ends.

Last edited:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
DSS is Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome! :bigsmile:

The 3.02's inclusion won't be noticeable. I would put it on hold first and then request an ASET image. Sometimes Ritani isn't able to provide one. If it were me, I would still feel comfortable buying it even if they can't provide it.
LOL at DSS!!
I think I'm just traumatized from getting generic ben bridge diamond studs and being able to see the black inclusions in the diamond lol. Of course those aren't rated or anything. I work at an office job so I'll be staring at the diamond all day.
I'm trying to place a hold on both of the new diamonds you sent! Do you have a favorite between the 2 you just sent and the 2.56 besides the difference in size?

There's no humanly way that inclusions will be visible without magnification in a VS1 graded by a reputable lab. :)

That being said, the amazing 3.50 Kim N just posted has your name written on it...probably laser engraved right next to the inscription! :lol:
At that price...don't let that one get away - and it'll go quick now that it's been posted!
If this one was available a few months ago and I had the additional budget, then I would have snagged it in a heartbeat over the 2.76 that I bought!

Better to go larger now and decide you want to exchange for a little smaller while in the return window than to decide that you should have gone bigger a couple/few months after the return period ends.
Held the 3.02 and trying to place a hold on the 3.50 after seeing your comment! I was able to hold the 3.02 without any issues but when I messaged Ritani about the 3.50 they told me to place the order and put wire transfer then i'll have 48 hours to cancel. Thought that was weird since the other people I spoke with didn't say anything about that but I just did the order with the wire transfer on the 3.5! :mrgreen2:
Do you have a favorite between the 2 that Kim just sent and the 2.56 besides the difference in size?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
LOL at DSS!!
I think I'm just traumatized from getting generic ben bridge diamond studs and being able to see the black inclusions in the diamond lol. Of course those aren't rated or anything. I work at an office job so I'll be staring at the diamond all day.
I'm trying to place a hold on both of the new diamonds you sent! Do you have a favorite between the 2 you just sent and the 2.56 besides the difference in size?

Held the 3.02 and trying to place a hold on the 3.50 after seeing your comment! I was able to hold the 3.02 without any issues but when I messaged Ritani about the 3.50 they told me to place the order and put wire transfer then i'll have 48 hours to cancel. Thought that was weird since the other people I spoke with didn't say anything about that but I just did the order with the wire transfer on the 3.5! :mrgreen2:
Do you have a favorite between the 2 that Kim just sent and the 2.56 besides the difference in size?

The 3.50 has amazing proportions!
40.6/35.2/54 combo with a HUGE 16% crown height and HPHT with no blue nuance? YES please!
This is a perfect recipe for massive fire under direct lighting!

Screenshot_20230213-202201-912.png

Screenshot_20230213-202319-210.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL at DSS!!

The 3.50 wins on both size and price, so that gets my vote! Glad you were able to snag it, and I think you won't regret the size jump!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40.6/35.2/54 combo with a HUGE 16% crown height and HPHT with no blue nuance? YES please!

Agreed, the crown is scrumptious! It's almost sure to be a fireball.

16%-crown.jpg

blingbae

Shiny_Rock

The 3.50 wins on both size and price, so that gets my vote! Glad you were able to snag it, and I think you won't regret the size jump!

First off just want to reiterate how much I appreciate both of your help!! :pray:

Is the price difference between this and the 2.56 due to the difference in clarity? I'm a little confused about that part. Its kind of a big price difference for that jump in size!

Wondering if I should just flat out order the 3.5 so I can compare them side by side... I'm super unfamiliar with the terms and all of the things to look for in a diamond so I might just need to go by what it looks like to my naked eye. Feeling a little ignorant not knowing all of the terms and how everything relates while spending so much. I'm googling as I see your replies and feedback!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results