shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Engagement Ring Upgrade

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the comparison shots! Let me know if anyone wants to see additional angles. My fingers are extra swollen and poofy today . ‍
95945BBF-B00C-49BC-9AA6-7861267294A7.jpeg
C3AB11DF-F6D8-4D48-B863-1CAD557A0313.jpeg
3F091D7F-4604-47B8-B85F-3F61308CF0C2.jpeg

I'm seeing more flashes from the 3.50, but it also looks a bit darker, and I wonder if that's just from the direct lighting source or if it's the body color. Does it look the same in person as in the videos?

Can you take some videos in natural light tomorrow? I've found that under a broad leafy tree on a sunny day is one of the best locations for colored light return.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I would love to see ASET images of both... because I'm thinking there might be some digging that was applied to the 3.50
Is the ASET image something Ritani already has on file that they could send to me? If not I’m going to a local jeweler on Saturday and will see if they have the scope to do that.
Sorry also what is “digging”? I googled it and just saw info about mining lol.

I'm seeing more flashes from the 3.50, but it also looks a bit darker, and I wonder if that's just from the direct lighting source or if it's the body color. Does it look the same in person as in the videos?

Can you take some videos in natural light tomorrow? I've found that under a broad leafy tree on a sunny day is one of the best locations for colored light return.
The 3.50 definitely looks a little darker but I’m wondering if that’s because the facets are bigger because it’s a larger stone? Or if I just made that up.. lol.

I tried to place them at the same level for these photos but I’ll def do pics and videos in natural lighting tomorrow!
I definitely see a difference in color from the D to E. Might be more noticeable because it’s next to a D but the E is a little beige to my eye.

D3650CBA-4FEC-49CF-B4AC-66184C9B9DE6.jpeg 6BEF4F7B-A218-4917-B676-6DDE4C0F4BD8.jpeg 06547629-BD46-40F9-8C67-640E03910D45.jpeg

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
If DejaWiz says to investigate the 3.5 I would investigate. But, no matter if it’s this stone or not, I would definitely stick with a 3.5ct. The other stone is not much of a size upgrade from your current one. IMHO

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
P.S. I love the bigger flashes coming off the 3.5.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is the ASET image something Ritani already has on file that they could send to me? If not I’m going to a local jeweler on Saturday and will see if they have the scope to do that.
Sorry also what is “digging”? I googled it and just saw info about mining lol.

I doubt that Ritani or their vendors would have the ASET images for their diamonds.

Here is a great article regarding painting and digging. Scroll down to the graph and look at the 2-4° digging images in the middle and right columns (2B and 3B)...the green areas out near the edges of the crown show less brightness/diminished light return and less liveliness under the table (dark blues):

And I agree with the others: the size of the 3.5 carat looks amazing on your hand! If you'd like some other recommendations, say in the 3.3-3.7 carat range, then just say the word and we'll go to work to find some alternatives.

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
You learn something new every day on here!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I hope to hear back from him soon!

I’m also waiting on a quote and I’m coming up on 2 weeks since I sent a follow up email. Have you heard back from him yet? If so I might email him again, but I’m afraid of being a pest.

Side note, I love the last setting you posted because I much prefer a cathedral for all the reasons @Kim N posted above. The finished product is going to be spectacular and David will execute any of those settings flawlessly. Can’t wait to see it!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Disclaimer: I’m no expert, I just know what appeals to me. There is something off about the larger stone. I don’t like the look of the center from certain angles, and to my naked eye it looks a bit warm. I want to love it because it’s enormous and I do see pretty flashes, but it doesn’t look the same as the other ideal cuts I’ve seen.

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
I doubt that Ritani or their vendors would have the ASET images for their diamonds.

Here is a great article regarding painting and digging. Scroll down to the graph and look at the 2-4° digging images in the middle and right columns (2B and 3B)...the green areas out near the edges of the crown show less brightness/diminished light return and less liveliness under the table (dark blues):

And I agree with the others: the size of the 3.5 carat looks amazing on your hand! If you'd like some other recommendations, say in the 3.3-3.7 carat range, then just say the word and we'll go to work to find some alternatives.
Thank you for the info! So helpful as always :)

I'm thinking I would like something around 3 ct, right between the two stones I have. I think the 3.5 is a little too big (LOL). I contacted Maytal Hannah about setting the stones and she mentioned she would be able to help me source something so I'll definitely post the options she shows me! She has some very positive posts here so I'm hopeful!

You learn something new every day on here!
Yes, I sure do! Theres so much to know, and I'm definitely lucky to have all of these experts chiming in!

I’m also waiting on a quote and I’m coming up on 2 weeks since I sent a follow up email. Have you heard back from him yet? If so I might email him again, but I’m afraid of being a pest.

Side note, I love the last setting you posted because I much prefer a cathedral for all the reasons @Kim N posted above. The finished product is going to be spectacular and David will execute any of those settings flawlessly. Can’t wait to see it!
I emailed him on 2/16 and haven't heard back yet, checked my spam folder too. I emailed Maytal Hannah and we've been corresponding about my designs and pricing. Shes really helpful and quick to respond! I read that she specializes in micro pave which is exactly what I'm looking for. Really like her! We are working on a modified version of the last setting!

Disclaimer: I’m no expert, I just know what appeals to me. There is something off about the larger stone. I don’t like the look of the center from certain angles, and to my naked eye it looks a bit warm. I want to love it because it’s enormous and I do see pretty flashes, but it doesn’t look the same as the other ideal cuts I’ve seen.
I agree with everything you said! The table reflection is pretty noticeable and the color is definitely beige. They are both nice and sparkly but the 2.56 is a huge difference from the 3.50. I saw a few conflicting posts about IGI and their grading scale vs GIA. Maybe in this case they were a bit lenient? I also don't have a D colored diamond to compare it to so hopefully the jewelry place I go to will give some insight!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

I'm thinking I would like something around 3 ct, right between the two stones I have. I think the 3.5 is a little too big (LOL). I contacted Maytal Hannah about setting the stones and she mentioned she would be able to help me source something so I'll definitely post the options she shows me! She has some very positive posts here so I'm hopeful!

Yes, I sure do! Theres so much to know, and I'm definitely lucky to have all of these experts chiming in!

I emailed him on 2/16 and haven't heard back yet, checked my spam folder too. I emailed Maytal Hannah and we've been corresponding about my designs and pricing. Shes really helpful and quick to respond! I read that she specializes in micro pave which is exactly what I'm looking for. Really like her! We are working on a modified version of the last setting!

I agree with everything you said! The table reflection is pretty noticeable and the color is definitely beige. They are both nice and sparkly but the 2.56 is a huge difference from the 3.50. I saw a few conflicting posts about IGI and their grading scale vs GIA. Maybe in this case they were a bit lenient? I also don't have a D colored diamond to compare it to so hopefully the jewelry place I go to will give some insight!

Her work is exquisite, excellent choice! Glad you’ve found a jeweler you love working with!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
blingbae please remind me of your budget for a diamond around 3ct?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maytal Hannah would do a fabulous job with a micropave setting.

I think it's great that you're narrowing down the size you really want. I also see what you mean about the 3.50. It's so interesting that the darkness doesn't appear in the magnified vendor video and goes to show how important it is to view these stones in person!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with runningmama. There is something about the center. And I do see a light gold color at different angles. But I do love the size. Maybe look between 3 & 3.3.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with runningmama. There is something about the center. And I do see a light gold color at different angles. But I do love the size. Maybe look between 3 & 3.3.

...or 3.5 & 4 :P2

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
blingbae please remind me of your budget for a diamond around 3ct?

Would want to spend under $7-8k! Do you think thats reasonable?

MH just sent me an option for a diamond she could source for me! GIA report number is #1429940590 please lmk what you think!

Maytal Hannah would do a fabulous job with a micropave setting.

I think it's great that you're narrowing down the size you really want. I also see what you mean about the 3.50. It's so interesting that the darkness doesn't appear in the magnified vendor video and goes to show how important it is to view these stones in person!

In person the way the 3.5 sparkles looks like its an octagon, like it doesn't look like a circle. I'm not sure of the proper terms. But glad I got to see it in person! I definitely think its out of the running for me.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MH just sent me an option for a diamond she could source for me! GIA report number is #1429940590 please lmk what you think!

It's really not well cut--uneven pavilion and leakage under the table.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at the MH Lab report and the 3.13 from Kim above. I am not an expert, (and you can’t tell about a diamond from just looking at the report), but looking at the things I am learning to look for, I love the table size, the crown height and the girdle width on the 3.13. I also love the flash of the H&A as the video turns.
I think the 3.08 has great specs as well, but I like the video look of the 3.13. Again, just my uneducated eye.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

In person the way the 3.5 sparkles looks like its an octagon, like it doesn't look like a circle. I'm not sure of the proper terms. But glad I got to see it in person! I definitely think its out of the running for me.

I'd like to direct you over to FD...they would be willing to bring in 2-3 diamonds of your choice and provide ASET images:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds like a great plan. You can have the best pros here help narrow down your choices and then FD can bring them in and give you the scopes and their professional opinion in real life! Probably easier than trying to evaluate on your own.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
With the help of this community, I had a couple LGDs brought in for futher assessment from FD. They will provide ASETs, videos and stills in different lightening environments. In doing this, I found a diamond that is not only carat weight special to me, but the setting as well.

Last edited:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Hi There! I decided to return the 2 ritani diamonds and waiting for the refund for those before I order anything new. Once I get the refund for those I'll let yall know! Hopefully everyone will have more time to help me with suggestions again :pray:

I went to a local jeweler and will get my setting with them! I feel way more comfortable working with a local place and their prices and customer service are excellent. However, they don’t bring in lab diamonds... They showed me a diamond with a clear hearts & arrows pattern vs the 2 I had so I would definitely like that! I asked about gcal 8x and they weren't too familiar. Based on what i've read here I think i'll definitely want a gcal 8x because that seems like the best way to ensure everything i'm looking for. Would that be the best way to narrow down the cut?

I think this is my new spec wishlist.. Would frank darling still be an option just to acquire a diamond, @DejaWiz? Or would it be ok to go through ritani if I specify gcal for the certification? Will order from my fiances account since i maxed out my 2 returns.

Budget around $7k
Weight around 3-3.3 ct as MomoFive suggested
GCAL 8x
Flexible:
Clarity VS1 or higher
Color F or higher
HPHT
Once we get the refund for the 2 ritani's will ask for new suggestions :love:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi There! I decided to return the 2 ritani diamonds and waiting for the refund for those before I order anything new. Once I get the refund for those I'll let yall know! Hopefully everyone will have more time to help me with suggestions again :pray:

I went to a local jeweler and will get my setting with them! I feel way more comfortable working with a local place and their prices and customer service are excellent. However, they don’t bring in lab diamonds... They showed me a diamond with a clear hearts & arrows pattern vs the 2 I had so I would definitely like that! I asked about gcal 8x and they weren't too familiar. Based on what i've read here I think i'll definitely want a gcal 8x because that seems like the best way to ensure everything i'm looking for. Would that be the best way to narrow down the cut?

I think this is my new spec wishlist.. Would frank darling still be an option just to acquire a diamond, @DejaWiz? Or would it be ok to go through ritani if I specify gcal for the certification? Will order from my fiances account since i maxed out my 2 returns.

Budget around $7k
GCAL 8x
Flexible:
Clarity VS1 or higher
Color F or higher
HPHT

Frank Darling is a great option even to buy only the diamond. Ritani doesn't carry GCAL 8x, so I would stick with Frank Darling or Adiamor for GCAL 8x. Frank Darling provides more services--they'll bring in up to 3 stones and take videos and ASET images for you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Budget around $7k
GCAL 8x
Flexible:
Clarity VS1 or higher
Color F or higher
HPHT

Definitely an option, as is Adiamor.

Let us know when you are ready to purchase again and we'll give you some great options to pick from. :)

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Just a quick note that the promo code HONEY100 gives you $100 off at Frank Darling. I used it a month ago and just checked - it's still good :)

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Woohoo!! Ready for new suggestions if anyone has the time to help!

3-3.3 ct
Round brilliant
Hearts and arrows
Color D-F
Cut best possible
Clarity VS1 or higher
Budget around $6k
GCAL 8x or GIA certified
As sparkly/glittery as possible!!

I think i saw some on ritani with gcal 8x. I filtered by certificate type and had to look at the certificates to tell though

Thank you to everyone who has helped thus far! Im so thankful for all of you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo!! Ready for new suggestions if anyone has the time to help!

3-3.3 ct
Round brilliant
Hearts and arrows
Color D-F
Cut best possible
Clarity VS1 or higher
Budget around $6k
GCAL 8x or GIA certified
As sparkly/glittery as possible!!

I think i saw some on ritani with gcal 8x. I filtered by certificate type and had to look at the certificates to tell though

Thank you to everyone who has helped thus far! Im so thankful for all of you

I didn't see any GCAL 8x on Ritani. Take a look at these!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
In case you want to go just a touch bigger for, you know, science.

Video for this one:

blingbae

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Kim N & @DejaWiz !!!
Do you have any gcal 8x suggestions by any chance?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results