shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not get screwed by robbins bros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, why don’t you tell us your actual cash budget as suggested by other posters. Life can take you in so many directions as you seem to already be aware. Paying off a ring really shouldn’t be something that hangs over you especially once you decide to begin planning your future together. Even your SO has indicated that she doesn’t want a big ring, she just wants to be engaged to you and that is the most precious!

There are many, many gorgeous rings to be found on great budgets. This one jumps to mind (total spent just about 2k): https://www.pricescope.com/communit...a-ring-to-layer-my-wedding-band.238123/page-3

Try not to think that only big=beautiful. There are many gorgeous rings to be found on smaller budgets. ;-)

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is what I would do.

Explain the bills and she should not want to go into debt.
Ask her if it is ok to propose with a small ring now, and you will save and at christmas you will upgrade the stone to what you were planning on.

Do not go into debt. You do not need to delay proposing either.

My dh proposed with a .5 ct ring that was under 1000$
I have upgraded as the years passed and money permitted. If she is expecting a 5k ring there is no reason why she cant wear a smaller ring for now and trade up in december.

Fwiw I if you are willing to buy a used ring and get it cleaned and sized you can save a LOT OF MONEY..
If you go the used route please be very very careful as there are people who will sell rings with clarity enhanced or even man made stones.

A small diamond ring as a place holder - just for a few months - to save up for a ring you will do your pictures with at the wedding might work out well as I am a BIG fan with the idea that women should help pick the ring the plan on wearing day in and day out.

I would NOT recommend robbins bros even as a last resort.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don’t forget lightbbox is going to sell lab created diamonds for $800 a carat this fall.

I didnt even think about that, but that is an excellent idea, he could use a stone from there and then upgrade to a natural one later and she could use the lightbox stone in a necklace or something once they have a natural one in the setting!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one should ever finance a ring because they can't afford to pay cash. Full stop.

There are (as said) many less expensive ways to go, up to and including no ring at all. You say you want the ring because she's important to you--but fixing your burst pipes is a much better way to start a wonderful life together than going into debt for a ring.

The two of you can plan to get a ring later, or get something meaningful but inexpensive. If the goal is impress her family, discuss getting a fake with her. Don't think of it as giving something up, think of it as choosing your time and place and and this time, this place, getting something wonderful and wonderfully affordable.
I respectfully disagree. I don’t think it’s our place to tell OP what financial decisions he should make. It’s his choice and his life. We can help educate him on why WE might not do it, but who are we to judge? There are so many factors at play here. Personally in most cases I wouldn’t agree with it, but if I knew how patient my loved one had been, and how important it was to her that we make it official by the end of the year (and of course it was something that I genuinely wanted to do too), I’d do it if I knew I’d have the funds to pay it off shortly thereafter.

OP, I love the idea of your getting a beautifully cut but smaller diamond from Whiteflash or HPDiamonds and then you can trade up over the years, if desired, and get full trade-in value for your current stone with a commitment to spend only $1 more. It’s a win-win in my book.

I’d be interested in these two, both for under $1600:

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD9165

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3999713.htm

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo much great advice in this thread! :clap:

IF her family is so judgy and intrusive with their unsolicited opinions, I might suggest - with your intended’s agreement/understanding - buying a simple solitaire sim for now that is the same shape/cut & size as your planned budget will allow, and propose with that next month with the plan to upgrade it as soon as you have saved the funds to purchase a diamond to swap it out with. My reason being - if you propose with one ring, then change the style/setting entirely later, her family will probably just call out that you proposed with something ‘inferior’. (That’s the sense I get from OP’s comments, anyway ... so my apologies if I am reading too much into it).

Good luck! :wavey:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't had time to read the replies, but wanted to share my RB experience. In a nutshell: YOU WOULD BE VASTLY OVERPAYING. I was looking for a 1.5 carat diamond and they quoted me $15k for an I/SI2 with a crap cut.

I'd suggest applying for Blue Nile financing ASAP. See if you get approved, and if you do they have a plan where if you pay it off by a certain time you don't pay interest. We can help you find a nice diamond at Blue Nile.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Wow so much amazing advice and suggestions. Well to update work kept me late so I had to miss the appointment with Robbins Bros which might just be fate interfering. I did reschedule for this weekend but all your suggestions seem to be changing my mind to wait for the better quality. I'm going to spend the time pouring through all the suggestions and websites listed with layaway programs

To those asking my budget would around 2500 to 3000 max with the setting and center diamond.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some excellent options for 2500-3000. Not to worry, the experts can help you get a great deal for that price (and even lower, if necessary!)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if layaway is an option on LAD’s consignment listings, but this is a respectable & pretty 3-stone round diamond ring in budget.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-16ctw-round-brilliant-diamond-three-stone-ring-g-vs2-est/

Another pretty 3-stone step-cut option in budget: https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-15ctw-emerald-cut-diamond-trilogy-ring-2471

Both LAD & JbG layaway policies note that returns/refunds are not available for layaway items ... just FYI if you decide to go that route ... and a good thing to understand if you go with a layaway option anywhere, really.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have received some great suggestions here, @davidorangecali. I am so glad that you came here before getting some high interest rate financing and buying an overpriced and likely lower quality diamond.

Do you know your girlfriend's ring size?

I love the fact that Prisescopers are so helpful and the fact that they can be bling obsessed and financially prudent at the same time! :appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9B36F3D9-5547-4B4A-BE6B-2A09EAC1B4DE.jpeg Can’t help myself, I’m a very keen bargain hunter. I’m not a diamond guru, far from it but I recognize a good value item when I see one.
Now, this diamond isn’t a Pricescope quality, it’s a K colour, with Fluorescence and and I clarity but
ITS 2 CARATS set in white gold for $2,995 with Ivy and Rose.
Now the size of this beauty would well and truly silence those in laws!
It’s with Ivy and Rose and it can’t hurt to contact them and ask if they can possibly do a lay away for you. Maybe.
So yes, lots of options out there.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ve had some fab advice here!

But you and your girl seem to just want to get married, why delay any further? Elope! Get married with a plain band, start married life and then buy the ring later.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow so much amazing advice and suggestions. Well to update work kept me late so I had to miss the appointment with Robbins Bros which might just be fate interfering. I did reschedule for this weekend but all your suggestions seem to be changing my mind to wait for the better quality. I'm going to spend the time pouring through all the suggestions and websites listed with layaway programs

To those asking my budget would around 2500 to 3000 max with the setting and center diamond.

I was under the impression that budget was to include layaway. If you did not no layaway- what would god budget be to buy it outright?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
IIRC, several vendors here have financing options, etc.

But I'd also strongly consider contacting wink for one of his simulants and replacing that stone with the real thing for maybe your first anniversary. He can make you a fantastic setting but the center stone could be "other".

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i LOVE the idea of proposing to her in August on your trip and then SAVE SAVE SAVE and at Christmas upgrade her ring. She doesn't want a big ring, she just wants to be engaged. SO i totally understand wanting to propose in August. You don't even have to tell her that you're upgrading her ring at Christmas. Swipe it and tell her you're sending it back for some engraving.

For something just over $1k total:
setting: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7286-solitaire-engagement-ring-4026.htm
stone: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983299.htm
look how pretty it is with a .4ct stone: https://www.whiteflash.com/photos/2...inum-from-Whiteflash_51235_33520_g-141909.jpg

$900 total with this stone: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4008463.htm

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9B36F3D9-5547-4B4A-BE6B-2A09EAC1B4DE.jpeg Can’t help myself, I’m a very keen bargain hunter. I’m not a diamond guru, far from it but I recognize a good value item when I see one.
Now, this diamond isn’t a Pricescope quality, it’s a K colour, with Fluorescence and and I clarity but
It’s with Ivy and Rose and it can’t hurt to contact them and ask if they can possibly do a lay away for you. Maybe.

Ivy and rose also has a lot of rings around .5-.7ct for under 1k.....would definitely check them out.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You could get this and in a few years (or even sooner) have it recut by Brian Gavin to ideal parameters.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like your fiancé to be really wants to be engaged soon. Whatever else you decide, I hope you will seize the beautiful opportunity to make it official in August. It sounds like that’s what matters to her most. You might be surprised how relieved she is. Wishing you both much good luck and happiness!

P.S. I have purchased from Ivy and Rose and am very pleased. If you see something you like there, try to put it on hold right away so nobody scoops it from you.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression that budget was to include layaway. If you did not no layaway- what would god budget be to buy it outright?
Not sure I understand what your asking. A few people were asking my budget so my max would be around 3k using a layaway plan. Although I am very interested in cheaper as well. The 3k mark would mean me proposing in November most likely but if I find something beautiful in the 1.5 to 2k range I could propose quicker and like many have said upgrade later.

To everyone I'm so completely overwhelmed with all the suggestions and can't thank everyone enough its going to take some time to dig through them all but I think the forum is starting to convince me to not buy from Rob Bros even though it'll mean missing a golden opportunity to propose on top of a mountain while the sun sets =/

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would the budget be for proposing on the mountain (e.g. what could you spend now)? $750? $1K? Because it sounds like you want to propose there, and she wants to be engaged asap.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure I understand what your asking. A few people were asking my budget so my max would be around 3k using a layaway plan. Although I am very interested in cheaper as well. The 3k mark would mean me proposing in November most likely but if I find something beautiful in the 1.5 to 2k range I could propose quicker and like many have said upgrade later.

To everyone I'm so completely overwhelmed with all the suggestions and can't thank everyone enough its going to take some time to dig through them all but I think the forum is starting to convince me to not buy from Rob Bros even though it'll mean missing a golden opportunity to propose on top of a mountain while the sun sets =/

what Niel means is, if you were to propose on your trip in August, what kind of budget would you have? do you have some cash that you could put toward an ebay find or a small stone and setting that you could later upgrade?

Did you check out BN financing options?

https://www.bluenile.com/services/blue-nile-credit-card?track=FooterBluNilCreCar

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. If you used CASH or a credit card what could you pay today for a ring at a store that would expect you to pay the total at time of purchase.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to throw my two cents in as someone who was (sort of) in a similar position to your girlfriend. If you don't want to tell her, I understand. But then I would assume she wants the quick engagement more than the ring. My boyfriend wanted to wait until he started a different job to have more to spend, which would have been lovely. All I wanted though was the commitment. It sounds like that's the most important thing to her right now, and I can guarantee that will mean more to her than the ring. Waiting, especially without knowing if the person you're with will propose, is torture--until you do it, she doesn't know if you will. Just wanted to give a quick peek into her possible perspective. With that said, what about the earlier idea of picking out a setting with a stand-in synthetic until you can save and replace it with a diamond? You can still show you care by picking out a thoughtful setting, she gets a ring, and you can save up for the centerpiece. Alternatively, you could get her a plainer band and tell people that you two are picking out the ring together since you wanted her to have input. Good luck!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali do you know your GF ring size? You want to make sure it can be resized if needed. and plan to have it replated (with rhodium) which would be a minor cost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results