shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not get screwed by robbins bros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she only want white metal? I can’t remember

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@davidorangecali: We all have lots of strong opinions, and all want to help. Sorry if we are in-fighting about what you *should or should't* do. Know that this decision is 10000% up to you and your (soon to be) fiance. All that said, here is what I am getting from your recent posts:

You (and she) want to be engaged asap. That means August.
You have 1.2K at max to spend right now (which is totally understandable given your situation and you should NOT feel bad about that0.
You don't really want a used ring, since that feels odd (also understandable, everyone feels differently about this).

Given the above, here are my suggestions. MyDiamondZone (also known as Ivy and Rose) are well-known and respected. They have both vintage (used) and new rings at a variety of price points. Here are some new ones, given that you aren't sure about the "used" factor.

These are under budget 1K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-F...275551?hash=item28617d06df:g:tQoAAOSwheNbP048

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2ct-EMER...623386?hash=item5d7f97f41a:g:qZcAAOSw3thbT9Jr

I really like these options because that are ideal cut, and give you more sparkle for the money with the 3-stone.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEAL-CUT-...246700?hash=item2862246eec:g:SRsAAOSwnQFbT6M4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEAL-TRIP...078889?hash=item286221df69:g:vUwAAOSwF5NbT4lA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEAL-CUT-...247143?hash=item28622470a7:g:R-oAAOSwCOZbRmI3

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEAL-CUT-...596160?hash=item5d7fc55080:g:LecAAOSwjYdbWJjk

Alternatively, you can look at WF and see what's possible with their least expensive setting options (like this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-587.htm, which leaves you about $850 for the diamond if your max is 1200 and you pay by wire transfer). WF is very nice and you can call or chat with them for "live" help.

Another idea (if you are open to the "used/vintage" option):

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

I'm suggesting this one even though it's a smaller size because of the "tiffany" name and look. Some people care about that, and others don't. But it sounds like her family might be those type to care about it, and it seems like their opinions are important to her. The other nice thing about the brand name is that you could re-sell it later (if you wanted to upgrade), without taking a massive loss.

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Isn’t mossanite popular for engagement rings these days? Are t they much more budget friendly than diamonds?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn’t mossanite popular for engagement rings these days? Are t they much more budget friendly than diamonds?

They are MUCH more budget friendly, but his GF would need to be totally on board with a non-diamond option. I have one in my engagement ring and love it, but certainly not everyone feels that way.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Does she only want white metal? I can’t remember
She prefers white gold but would not be opposed to yellow or rose however I definitely prefer the white gold much more and haven't really looked at any other colors. Thanks again.

Edit: Again to everyone I can't begin to thank everyone enough. I'm about to leave work and spend my entire evening again going through all these suggestions. As I keep going back I keep finding posts I didn't even have time to read because everyone is posting so fast! I don't mind the 'in-fighting' its just people expressing different opinions and ultimately it'll be my decision no matter what so I don't mind civil disagreements if we all end up more knowledgeable in the end.

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine is selling her 1.3 carat diamond ring for $2000. It's not Pricescope quality by any means, but it is a nice sized diamond. You'd need to replace the setting, as the white gold setting is damaged. You should be able to get a simple white gold solitaire for $200-300 from a local jeweler. I know this is over budget, but just wanted to offer. I'm planning on listing it on Loupetroop for her soon. If interested, let me know and I can have her dig it out of the safe and send me images.

Link to diamond: https://www.eglusa.com/verify-a-report-results/?st_num=78484910D

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you should know if many people disagree with certain posters and certain posters are difficult and polarizing ps.
IMO
Not everyone’s opinions should be weighted equally

Be choosy how you listen to.

I’m not sure if you’re alluding to @Niel here, but she has a great reputation for searching high and low for amazing deals on gorgeous things so I would most certainly value her opinion seeing as she buys things on the second hand market all the time and knows their worth. I also agree with her that the LT ring, while seemingly a good price to some, is cookie cutter and if that’s what OP wants then fine but she’s offering to show him some other options so why is that a problem or why wouldn’t you weigh that equally?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I get that your girlfriend wants a diamond and she wants to be engaged soon. But surely something has to give?! Can you not get a lovely ring for her now, a colored stone for a few hundred dollars, propose with the promise that on such a date you will be purchasing a diamond ring. Choose something beautiful and put your thought and love into that, she will always be able to keep it and wear it as a right hand ring. This sounds like it is a potential stressful experience at the moment when it should be joyful and pleasurable. Apologies if I am repeating what other have said.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is this - If you plan to go with Whiteflash now and upgrade to a larger size diamond later (which I think is a GREAT option), you will almost certainly have to buy a new setting later for the new diamond. So I would buy the cheapest setting you can get now.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like your girlfriend would like to get engaged as soon as possible, and you like the idea of proposing on your August trip. So I'd recommend finding a ring within 1k range. You don't have to settle on a used ring!

A quick search on Whiteflash shows the most affordable settings they have are under $250:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7286-solitaire-engagement-ring-4026.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

That leaves around $750 for diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006516.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3793595.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983308.htm

You also get 3% off if you wire the money. You can totally buy a brand new ring for 1k!

Whiteflash also have great upgrade policy(100% trade up), in case if your gf and you want to upgrade to a bigger ring in the future.

I would go with whiteflash and get the level below a cut above which I believe is also included in the upgrade policy. I think it is expert selection (someone help me out).

And put it in a solitaire white or yellow gold setting.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does your girlfriend happen to have a Pinterest board where she has pinned engagement rings?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I almost forgot. For rock bottom pricing, maybe get I touch with Martin (call) at what is his website name??? USA certified diamonds??

And I have had good luck with B2Cjewels.com they also have a sale section under jewelry.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you go through her Instagram likes? I find that more up to date more than Pinterest people don’t use so much anymore. She might also follow jewelry designers.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with whiteflash and get the level below a cut above which I believe is also included in the upgrade policy. I think it is expert selection (someone help me out).

And put it in a solitaire white or yellow gold setting.

As of right now (because policies do change) WF offers lifetime trade-up for their ACAs, Expert Selection and Premium Selection diamonds. And they will honor the policy in effect at the time you buy your diamond, just FYI.

https://www.whiteflash.com/confidence/lifetime-trade-up-guarantee/

And I agree ... OP - get what you can afford that doesn’t put you in a worse financial position, yet gives you great upgrade options down the road if you/she so chooses. It’s easy to forget that in the real world (off PS), people walk around everyday with modest-sized engagement rings ... and some of them even purchased from Kay’s (gasp) and they are STILL happily married.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I've been following this thread and all the great suggestions, but has there been a post about her preferences -- other than white gold for the setting?

Since approval of her family also seems important, what kinds of rings do the women in her family and her friends wear? Do they tend toward a classic solitaire? Halos, vintage, other?

How would her family react if they knew the ring was preowned? Would the reaction be different if the ring was antique or vintage or branded with a name such as Tiffany?

Would you consider purchasing something small now with the idea that it could become a right hand ring in the future? If she is sentimental, she may not want to give up her original ring.

In addition to all the other excellent suggestions, if she likes antique/vintage rings, contact Adam at Old World Diamonds. He may be able to find something amazing within budget. I don't think his website comes close to showing everything he has available.

If you want new and think she may want to keep the ring regardless. Try ID Jewelry. They have a halo setting that's ~$400. For the remaining $600-800, IDJ can probably find you something notably bigger than Whiteflash - but you would not have the upgrade option.

As you can tell, I'm with the posters who think you should propose sooner with a more modest ring.

Good luck!

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Man I may need to take a day off of work just to keep up with all the suggestions.

For those that have asked. I could go through her instagram but it wouldn't matter because she'll like anything with engagement rings on it so it'll be a cluster of different types.

The types of settings I had been favoring are channel/pave, halo, and sidetone with round or princess center stone. She's a size 6.5 to 7.

I'm open to the idea of pre-loved but its pretty hard to call a 20 year old ring 'antique' and I do think namebrand recognition would go a long way with her judgy family.

And there are many great suggestions out there with alternatives but I know my gf thru and thru and I know her dream is completely traditional. It HAS to be a diamond engagement ring followed by a church wedding. So while I appreciate other suggestions it just won't work.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I do think namebrand recognition would go a long way with her judgy family.

:(2 Reading this hurts my heart; I’m sorry that you have what sounds like insane pressure on you by your future in-laws. It sounds like - unless you put a Tiffany ring on her finger, her family will look down on you. Not cool.

Honestly, as much as you WANT this to be a surprise, I do think you may need to sit down & have a chat with your fiancé. Let her know you want more than anything to be engaged to her and start planning your wedding & future together, but that you want to do so in a way that will make HER happy and be financially responsible. Let HER decide if SHE would prefer a ‘bigger-ish’, lovely pre-loved ring or a more modest-sized new ring now, or would SHE prefer to wait for a couple months for a new ring more inline with what you had planned before.

My last two cents ... If her family ain’t payin’, they get no sayin’. :naughty: If you allow yourself to be controlled by them now in this decision, it may never end.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Would she like something like this pretty and classic three stone ring?

9666E33A-BC7F-463B-8C68-54068F1DAC2B.jpeg
F6612B34-D571-46C4-88DD-BDA47EDFCA40.jpeg

https://www.gesner.com/estate-engagement-ring-55ct-diamond.html?

I know the owner and have purchased through them. Great family. Frank, the owner, is very easy to work with and you can even make an offer less than the current $1,395 sales price. He’s been in the business for about 50 years. They in Florida and will ship it to you. Plus they offer layaway.

53A24402-6D1F-4025-8B89-10EEE07E72EE.png
Wow how did I not see this before. That looks really nice.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please sit down with your girlfriend - talk to her. She may well be ok with a lightbox diamond ( a lab made diamond that is 100% carbon just made in a lab it will test as a diamond becuase it is a diamond ) or even a moissanite as long as it is replaced with a real one in time for the wedding.

Have her read this thread if that would help. While everyone wants a big pretty real diamond from day one, starting with a small real one or a larger carbon lab made diamond or even a moissanite and replacing it later might be the best option and as long as you are up front and on the same boat on the ring you should both be able to find an acceptable alternative to take care of the ring issue until you can get the one you really want.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
:(2 Reading this hurts my heart; I’m sorry that you have what sounds like insane pressure on you by your future in-laws. It sounds like - unless you put a Tiffany ring on her finger, her family will look down on you. Not cool.

Honestly, as much as you WANT this to be a surprise, I do think you may need to sit down & have a chat with your fiancé. Let her know you want more than anything to be engaged to her and start planning your wedding & future together, but that you want to do so in a way that will make HER happy and be financially responsible. Let HER decide if SHE would prefer a ‘bigger-ish’, lovely pre-loved ring or a more modest-sized new ring now, or would SHE prefer to wait for a couple months for a new ring more inline with what you had planned before.

My last two cents ... If her family ain’t payin’, they get no sayin’. :naughty: If you allow yourself to be controlled by them now in this decision, it may never end.
Its not so much that it has to be name brand but if it was a pre owned ring name recognition might alleviate some craziness honestly I don't care what they think but unfortunately my gf does despite them constantly putting her down.

I am thinking of possibly having a sit down and being up front with my gf.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not so much that it has to be name brand but if it was a pre owned ring name recognition might alleviate some craziness honestly I don't care what they think but unfortunately my gf does despite them constantly putting her down.

I am thinking of possibly having a sit down and being up front with my gf.

I was thinking about this on my drive home today. I think you should sit her down and talk with her about all of this.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: Editing, editing! :lol:

Lol thanks :lol::lol::mrgreen2:. 3 of my kids have birthdays today so DH and I drove 3 hours last night to spend part of the day with my eldest and then DH and I drove back this afternoon to spend it with the other two. August 1 is always a chaotic crazy day lol.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol thanks :lol::lol::mrgreen2:. 3 of my kids have birthdays today so DH and I drove 3 hours last night to spend part of the day with my eldest and then DH and I drove back this afternoon to spend it with the other two. August 1 is always a chaotic crazy day lol.
Whoa, three kids share a bday??? At least you have a great excuse, mine is usually me fat fingering what im typing :oops2:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results