shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me not get screwed by robbins bros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly that loupetroope ring would not be my first choice

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said he has no credit and no cash.

Some of the posters here need to back off.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly that loupetroope ring would not be my first choice

Sure it's uncerted but at the price i do think it's a good buy....given his situation. The center stone could always be upgraded down the road. I've seen you come up with some amazing ebay finds though (seriously how do you do it?) so i am sure you could find something with a cert for the OP at a really great price! btw my brothers name is NEil andyour username throws me off every time!

He said he has no credit and no cash.

Some of the posters here need to back off.

most people think of thousands of dollars when they think of a diamond. i think everyone is well-intentioned and just trying to help the OP with options he may not have considered like buying a small stone and upgrading. Or a pre-loved option.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure it's uncerted but at the price i do think it's a good buy....given his situation. The center stone could always be upgraded down the road. I've seen you come up with some amazing ebay finds though (seriously how do you do it?) so i am sure you could find something with a cert for the OP at a really great price! btw my brothers name is NEil andyour username throws me off every time!

most people think of thousands of dollars when they think of a diamond. i think everyone is well-intentioned and just trying to help the OP with options he may not have considered like buying a small stone and upgrading. Or a pre-loved option.

I agree he may not have thought of some things, I keep thinking he might feel bad given how many times people want him to say he has no extra cash right now and that he has poor credit, unless I read wrong. Been in the truck..my iPad is bouncy

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’ve seen lovely plat rings for less than that with more presence and less “I bought this at Kay’s” look to it.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
what Niel means is, if you were to propose on your trip in August, what kind of budget would you have? do you have some cash that you could put toward an ebay find or a small stone and setting that you could later upgrade?

Did you check out BN financing options?

https://www.bluenile.com/services/blue-nile-credit-card?track=FooterBluNilCreCar
Oh I understand. I tried to make it clear in my original post that financing is not an option (my identity got stolen last year and did a number on my credit that makes it impossible to finance) which is why I was looking at Rob Bros in the first place because they have a 60 day installment plan that would allow me to get a 3k ring in time for the August proposal. The most I could spend cash to make it in time for August proposal would be 1k maybe 1.2k

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
@davidorangecali do you know your GF ring size? You want to make sure it can be resized if needed. and plan to have it replated (with rhodium) which would be a minor cost.
Her ring size is 6.5 to 7 and that ring is a 7 so it might be a good fit but I'm not sure how my gf feels about a used ring I know she wouldn't be thrilled about getting normal things used but jewelry is different, after all a diamond is forever right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller is a member here. Not everyone has the same taste.....
Pussyfooting around doesn’t help this poster. I’m not going to pretend that’s a fine ring when he asked “what’s the catch”

And frankly it looks appropriately priced for what it is - he should know that there are better options out there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pussyfooting around doesn’t help this poster. I’m not going to pretend that’s a fine ring when he asked “what’s the catch”

And frankly it looks appropriately priced for what it is - he should know that there are better options out there.

Lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen lovely plat rings for less than that with more presence and less “I bought this at Kay’s” look to it.

Please post them!

I have a hard time finding diamond halo settings for that price, and that listing includes a center diamond and a wedding band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post them!

I have a hard time finding diamond halo settings for that price, and that listing includes a center diamond and a wedding band.
Right a used 10k wedding band shouldn’t cost more than 100 -150

And sure I’ll rummage through some of my things. One example- this ring I got for 400 - bought by an estate jeweler from me and resold for 2400
905886F0-09B1-41FE-890A-CCFE479676B8.jpeg

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Ok so to update a bit i guess:

I don't have credit and had to wipe out my savings which included the 5k I had saved for my E ring see the original post for details, and I feel a great time to propose would be on a trip we have in August so my options are:

-Overpriced Robbins Bros ring because they have an installment plan.

-Skip the August proposal and use a layaway plan on site like whiteflash or similar and then down the line upgrade the center stone to something I think is more reflective of what she means to me. My budget would be closer to 2.5k in that situation.

-Find a ring in the 1k range that I could afford by the time we take our trip which seems to lead into buying a used ring.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't have credit and had to wipe out my savings which included the 5k I had saved for my E ring see the original post for details, and I feel a great time to propose would be on a trip we have in August so my options are:

-Skip the August proposal and use a layaway plan on site like whiteflash or similar and then down the line upgrade the center stone to something I think is more reflective of what she means to me. My budget would be closer to 2.5k in that situation.

-Find a ring in the 1k range that I could afford by the time we take our trip which seems to lead into buying a used ring.

Propose to her in August without a ring. She wants a proposal, not a ring now. Propose to her this weekend. Forget what her family might think. So what who cares. Propose to her and set a wedding date. That is what she wants.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I understand as whitewave has said that people have different tastes but I'm just starting to do research on the idea of a used ring so any criticisms of that ring set are very welcomed because right now it is one of the options I'm considering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

-Find a ring in the 1k range that I could afford to by the time we take our trip which seems to lead into buying a used ring.

I vote the last option. Lost of diamonds for sale in stores are trade ins or used. And you are in a pickle where you want something she’s proud of with a budget you won’t go broke over.

A LOT of people here have used rings. They are called “antique” , “estate “ or “vintage. “

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Propose to her in August without a ring. She wants a proposal, not a ring now. Propose to her this weekend. Forget what her family might think. So what who cares. Propose to her and set a wedding date. That is what she wants.
I would be ok with that but I know she won't. I agree we shouldn't care about what others and her family think but I also know my gf very well (obviously) and I know it would be very upsetting to her to try and tell her family that we're engaged but we're waiting to buy the ring later.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What you should know if many people disagree with certain posters and certain posters are difficult and polarizing ps.
IMO
Not everyone’s opinions should be weighted equally

Be choosy how you listen to.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m leaving work now I’ve sent a beacon out for other people good at finding deals to see if they can help. I will look very hard when. I get home.

The designer Sebastian barier would be nice if they would come down. A quick size and polish and good as new. Don’t be hasty.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Right a used 10k wedding band shouldn’t cost more than 100 -150

And sure I’ll rummage through some of my things. One example- this ring I got for 400 - bought by an estate jeweler from me and resold for 2400
905886F0-09B1-41FE-890A-CCFE479676B8.jpeg

I'll have to admit that's a phenomenal deal for 400. I was more hoping you would post something that's buyable right now. :D

I do think Taurus's ring is probably the best option for OP that's been posted, but between you and @Bron357 I'm no longer sure you can't find some better bargain.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her ring size is 6.5 to 7 and that ring is a 7 so it might be a good fit but I'm not sure how my gf feels about a used ring I know she wouldn't be thrilled about getting normal things used but jewelry is different, after all a diamond is forever right?

Hi @davidorangecali You are asking a good question. Seems you made the assumption that “a diamond is forever”. What you may not realize is that many members here upgrade their diamonds over time. Maybe when they start out they may not be able to afford the size they want but some vendors will allow you to put the original cost to true cost of a new more expensive diamond in the future, provided that you purchased the original one with them. Whiteflash is one of these vendors, which is one of the reasons why they are so popular. The other reasons are that their super ideal cut (which equals super beautiful) are relatively reasonably priced and their customer service is excellent.
So yes a diamond is forever (unless you shatter it) but the one you start with may not necessarily be forever owned by you. You just need to be open to the idea of upgrading a diamond. You may think your girlfriend may not ever want a “bigger” diamond, BUT I would be willing to put down money that if you insisted on buying her a bigger diamond in the future, a year, 2 years, 5 years down the road, she would not turn you down. I may be wrong but if I had to bet either way, I’m betting on ok by her. So I would seriously consider the options suggested for a smaller diamond from whiteflash if she is not into the idea of a pre-owned ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to admit that's a phenomenal deal for 400. I was more hoping you would post something that's buyable right now. :D

I do think Taurus's ring is probably the best option for OP that's been posted, but between you and @Bron357 I'm no longer sure you can't find some better bargain.
I’m well aware of what you were getting at - but as I said I’ll have to get back to you. It does take a little more time and effort than going to loupetroop and see whatever is currently there.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
I vote the last option. Lost of diamonds for sale in stores are trade ins or used. And you are in a pickle where you want something she’s proud of with a budget you won’t go broke over.

A LOT of people here have used rings. They are called “antique” , “estate “ or “vintage. “
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely looking at the pre-loved market right now to see if it might be a good fit. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

coffeedonutcake

Rough_Rock
It sounds like your girlfriend would like to get engaged as soon as possible, and you like the idea of proposing on your August trip. So I'd recommend finding a ring within 1k range. You don't have to settle on a used ring!

A quick search on Whiteflash shows the most affordable settings they have are under $250:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7286-solitaire-engagement-ring-4026.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

That leaves around $750 for diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006516.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3793595.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983308.htm

You also get 3% off if you wire the money. You can totally buy a brand new ring for 1k!

Whiteflash also have great upgrade policy(100% trade up), in case if your gf and you want to upgrade to a bigger ring in the future.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
Hi @davidorangecali You are asking a good question. Seems you made the assumption that “a diamond is forever”. What you may not realize is that many members here upgrade their diamonds over time. Maybe when they start out they may not be able to afford the size they want but some vendors will allow you to put the original cost to true cost of a new more expensive diamond in the future, provided that you purchased the original one with them. Whiteflash is one of these vendors, which is one of the reasons why they are so popular. The other reasons are that their super ideal cut (which equals super beautiful) are relatively reasonably priced and their customer service is excellent.
So yes a diamond is forever (unless you shatter it) but the one you start with may not necessarily be forever owned by you. You just need to be open to the idea of upgrading a diamond. You may think your girlfriend may not ever want a “bigger” diamond, BUT I would be willing to put down money that if you insisted on buying her a bigger diamond in the future, a year, 2 years, 5 years down the road, she would not turn you down. I may be wrong but if I had to bet either way, I’m betting on ok by her. So I would seriously consider the options suggested for a smaller diamond from whiteflash if she is not into the idea of a pre-owned ring.
Thanks for the input. I've already resigned myself that I won't be able to get the stone I had first imagined and that I will be looking at smaller reasonable stones that I can upgrade later so whiteflash is definitely my top contender if I go with the layaway option. But pre-loved is still an option if I wanted to propose in August as I had hoped. Seems like Robbins Bros is becoming more and more of a non choice.

davidorangecali

Rough_Rock
It sounds like your girlfriend would like to get engaged as soon as possible, and you like the idea of proposing on your August trip. So I'd recommend finding a ring within 1k range. You don't have to settle on a used ring!

A quick search on Whiteflash shows the most affordable settings they have are under $250:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7286-solitaire-engagement-ring-4026.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

That leaves around $750 for diamond:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006516.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3793595.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983308.htm

You also get 3% off if you wire the money. You can totally buy a brand new ring for 1k!

Whiteflash also have great upgrade policy(100% trade up), in case if your gf and you want to upgrade to a bigger ring in the future.
Thanks! I'll look into that as well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results