shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a ring to layer my wedding band

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
Some of the best ovals have very thick girdles, so.I don’t see med/thick to be a problem. The stone has lovely faceting and I love, love the E color in an oval.
Would you please make sure that your setting will be returnable before you proceed with the purchase? In the meantime, please put the E oval on hold.

@SimoneDi .58 E SI1 is on hold...! And they are checking if the setting is returnable right now. They will get back to me in 24-72 hours. I am glad that the stone can be put on hold! Thanks for all of your advice :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorites out of the bunch is the .58 E SI1 that you have on hold and the .52 G SI1 - @SimoneDi I think I might see what you mean on my screen at work but it actually might work since it's going in RG? @bossalover Maybe ask JA to pull that stone too and have a gemologist look it over and tell you what they see!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorites out of the bunch is the .58 E SI1 that you have on hold and the .52 G SI1 - @SimoneDi I think I might see what you mean on my screen at work but it actually might work since it's going in RG? @bossalover Maybe ask JA to pull that stone too and have a gemologist look it over and tell you what they see!

I think that the G will work also. I find that diamonds with brownish undertones actually face up whiter/cooler. I just love colorless for ovals lol

OP, if you can get ASETs on both stones and share them here, that might help as well.

Edit: I just saw that the G has much smaller dimensions, so my vote stays for the E!

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi and @ac117
.52 G definitely saves us money but it looks like that face-up area is noticeably smaller than .58... So, I feel I should stick to .58 E. (Unless another beauty pops up on JA of course!)

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for finding a good diamond for me... I was thinking that these two settings are identical except for the trellis but it looks like the pave is set differently, too. Do you think they sparkle in a similar manner or does one sparkle more than the other? I'd appreciate your insights :)

JA told me that switching the pave type (u pave vs. bright cut pave) cannot be made even as a part of customization. So, I will have to choose between:

U Pave + Regular setting
Bright cut pave + Trellis setting...

(I personally like u pave + Trellis...!)

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-41432

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53118

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for finding a good diamond for me... I was thinking that these two settings are identical except for the trellis but it looks like the pave is set differently, too. Do you think they sparkle in a similar manner or does one sparkle more than the other? I'd appreciate your insights :)

JA told me that switching the pave type (u pave vs. bright cut pave) cannot be made even as a part of customization. So, I will have to choose between:

U Pave + Regular setting
Bright cut pave + Trellis setting...

(I personally like u pave + Trellis...!)

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...iamond-engagement-ring-oval-center-item-41432

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53118

I had to laugh because I personally like the bright cut pave better and I think that the style will go well with your wedding band, but you need to be happy with it, so get what you really like!

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi I am worried that the bright cut pave will be less sparkly than u pave... (I just noticed that my wedding band is bright cut pave after you told me :lol:! So, maybe they will look more coherent together?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi I am worried that the bright cut pave will be less sparkly than u pave... (I just noticed that my wedding band is bright cut pave after you told me :lol:! So, maybe they will look more coherent together?

I wouldn’t say that it will be less sparkly.. I like the oval shape better and the bright cut adds some additional real estate IMO. However.. I have a crazy idea lol are you sure you want rose gold? I just feel that this gorgeous and beautiful E color diamond may shine best in a white setting and that will match your wedding band the best. But I completely understand if rose gold is what you want and I still think that it will look good. If going with plat, you can always add a fun rose gold stacker ring. It is actually what I have done to satisfy my rose gold itch :lol: here is a pic:
46D3A2A4-07A1-40E4-A85B-BB92BF0E39A0.jpeg

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t say that it will be less sparkly.. I like the oval shape better and the bright cut adds some additional real estate IMO. However.. I have a crazy idea lol are you sure you want rose gold? I just feel that this gorgeous and beautiful E color diamond may shine best in a white setting and that will match your wedding band the best. But I completely understand if rose gold is what you want and I still think that it will look good. If going with plat, you can always add a fun rose gold stacker ring. It is actually what I have done to satisfy my rose gold itch :lol: here is a pic:
46D3A2A4-07A1-40E4-A85B-BB92BF0E39A0.jpeg

@SimoneDi, you must be reading my mind... Although I love RG, I was thinking that it could look better in WG...!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi, you must be reading my mind... Although I love RG, I was thinking that it could look better in WG...!!

Too funny! If you can swing it, get it in plat so that your rings age the same. Ask JA again about advantage pricing, it may be more than $100 discount.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look of #1. I love your wedding band. However, I'm not really an oval fan or a halo fan. I like the simplicity of look #1. I don't want to be a wet blanket either, but I prefer them in the same metal too. Take it all with a grain of salt ( I guess a salty wet blanket!)

- the only person who likes it needs to be YOU though. Best of luck!

Last edited:

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
Too funny! If you can swing it, get it in plat so that your rings age the same. Ask JA again about advantage pricing, it may be more than $100 discount.
Because I went a bit more than planned for the budget for diamond, I think I should stick to WG (if we are going for that look!)

I asked for the advantage pricing but it only applies to the diamond... and it was $90 off instead of $100. I just heard back from JA that the ring can be made without additional cost and returns are allowed. Decision, decision... RG or WG...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because I went a bit more than planned for the budget for diamond, I think I should stick to WG (if we are going for that look!)

I asked for the advantage pricing but it only applies to the diamond... and it was $90 off instead of $100. I just heard back from JA that the ring can be made without additional cost and returns are allowed. Decision, decision... RG or WG...
I love RG. While I have lots of WG, I really find it annoying. I have to get it re-plated a lot either due to my skin chemistry or I'm hard on rings (or both:lol-2:). I don't like that the metal is constantly changing color. I'm sensitive to nickel, so I can't wear my ring the minute any nickel is exposed (which is still common in the US). So, for new pieces, I stick to solid colored metals...platinum, rose gold, yellow gold. I'll play with the alloys.

In case it is relevant, RG contains copper. The copper in the alloy can react to salt, iodine, and a host of other things. Usually they cause a surface oxidation that can be removed, but it can be annoying if you encounter such things often enough. I can't find it on JA's website, but if they add germanium to the alloy, this is a good thing to reduce the oxidation/tarnish that can sometimes happen. So, I tend to avoid RG for my "daily" pieces and stick with platinum. JA does not offer it, but there are white-gold alloys that use palladium and don't require plating.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander provided a pretty great explanation on the various alloys and possible wear & tear issues due to skin reaction, use, etc. I personally have never had issues with WG, rings from years ago are still white, however I do have an issue with the weight difference between WG and plat. The way I look at splurging for Plat over WG is this.. let’s say there is a $300 difference, divide that by 365days, or 5 years or whatever the expected timeline is. It may be a splurge in the moment, but it will pay off in the long term ;-)

Last edited:

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @Winks_Elf @tyty333 @Lookinagain
@ac117 @Krisking
@SimoneDi

Thank you again for helping me choosing the setting and the diamond. @SimoneDi, you are totally right about going platinum but this time we had to go with WG due to our budget issue... if the issue with WG persists, we will reset it in platinum! Thanks for suggesting WG instead of RG, though! Given the color of the diamond, I do think that WG will complement the colorless diamond.

We placed an order today! It was supposed to take two weeks initially but we got an email right away saying that they need more time because they need to create a wax model for the setting (the updated expected shipping date is March 12). I read some negative reviews about custom setting by James Allen on Yelp so I am tiny bit concerned, but there is not much we can do at this point! Thanks again for all the help you have given. I’m so glad I asked for your insights to find the right setting and diamond!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @Winks_Elf @tyty333 @Lookinagain
@ac117 @Krisking
@SimoneDi

Thank you again for helping me choosing the setting and the diamond. @SimoneDi, you are totally right about going platinum but this time we had to go with WG due to our budget issue... if the issue with WG persists, we will reset it in platinum! Thanks for suggesting WG instead of RG, though! Given the color of the diamond, I do think that WG will complement the colorless diamond.

We placed an order today! It was supposed to take two weeks initially but we got an email right away saying that they need more time because they need to create a wax model for the setting (the updated expected shipping date is March 12). I read some negative reviews about custom setting by James Allen on Yelp so I am tiny bit concerned, but there is not much we can do at this point! Thanks again for all the help you have given. I’m so glad I asked for your insights to find the right setting and diamond!

Yay! I am glad to hear that you placed the order today! I am sure that the ring will come out stunning! Worst case about the setting is you don’t like it and you then return it. I don’t think that you have anything to lose :) custom settings usually take longer and it is actually great that it is a custom setting because it will be made to fit your diamond perfectly! Btw if you can ask for claw prongs you might want to do that. I think that there may be a surcharge, but I find it to be worth it.

Very much looking forward to seeing the completed ring, I think that you made an excellent choice! :appl:

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Excellent! I am so excited for you, @bossalover! You have put a lot of thought into this design, and I'm sure the ring will be a beautiful compliment to your wedding band. I can't wait to see the finished product!! :dance:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting @bossalover !!!! I'm sure you will be thrilled with the outcome!!! Can't wait to see it! :appl:

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
Because it takes a while until the ring goes in production, I was browsing JA website and now I am having a second thought... should I go pave band or non-pave band? (The price difference is not small but this is supposed to be a memorable ring, so I want it to be as good as possible...)

My wedding band is 3mm where it is the thickest and the ring setting which I chose (with everyone's help here!) is 2.2mm.

What do you think? Should I upgrade??

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If your wedding band is pave, a plain band would provide nice contrast and let each ring shine, so to speak.

bossalover

Rough_Rock
Premium
DSC07512.jpg
DSC07507.jpg DSC07508.jpg
DSC07532.jpg
Hello everyone! Thank you again for helping me choose a ring and a diamond! We have received the ring today and we are in love with the sparkles! Unfortunately, the ring came in a wrong size, so it needs to be resized but a local jeweler can do it in a week. (JA said it will take about 2 weeks)

I honestly did not think that 0.58 carat can give this much size. It is definitely more than I expected in terms of its size.

We are having a date night tonight and I am looking forward to wearing this ring!

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wowza! It looks wonderful! The setting is beautiful and really does compliment your wedding ring! (Great photos and manicure, too!) :appl:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bossalover I am in love with your new ring!:love: Thank you for posting! It looks gorgeous on your hand and the halo is beautiful! It goes really well with your wedding band as well! Enjoy date night and your beautiful sparkler!

P.S. Perhaps see if JA can reimburse you for the resizing cost since they messed up the size. Also, a local resize should take a day, not a week. I would almost prefer that JA does it if the local wait is 1 week.

Last edited:

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The ring looks so lovely with your band! Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results