shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think its beautiful

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I think an e-w split shank w pave but no halo would look amazing on that spinel, coming off the Mege Sharon just posted. Good for you for posting pics even though you don't love them, AGBF! Look forward to pics that look more like what you see, but even without, I think we can get a good sense of that beauty!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1304988224|2916856 said:
AGBF|1304982615|2916761 said:
canuk-gal|1304973336|2916589 said:
Wow--what a centerpiece that stone will make! Would you consider setting it E/W--there is one ring on PS that is my all time fav--E/W setting....

Do you have a picture of it, Sharon?

Deb

MAchick Greenlake ring (E/W setting) is my all time fav....(I threw Leon in there for fun!).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

Now that I see it, I have vague recollections of seeing this ring before. It is really unique, delicate, and beautiful. I could never achieve that look with my red spinel. That look is ethereal and caused by a slim, delicate, clear stone! I didn't care for the Leon Mege halo stone ring. It just isn't my type of ring. I don't like bulky rings or cocktail rings. I like classic, delicate rings.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I should post a picture of the ring Sharon was discussing so that everyone could see it!

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• MAchicksetherealring.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 639

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that since you all helped me to find the perfect stone, you might as well help me to design the perfect setting! So just as I needed you to help me think through what I wanted in color, I need you to help me articulate what I want in a setting. I found photos of a few rings set with one center, oval, red stone and diamond sidestones. I thought they might help me to help you to understand what I like. Then you can help me to put it into words.

The ring below is an example of something I do not like. I do not like either a huge colored stone or a colored stone with sidestones set very close to it, making it look large. I don't like large, cocktail rings. I like to use sidestones to give a ring balance. I like the center stone to look separated from the sidestones.

Deb

helpdontcrowdme.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another setting that I wouldn't want. The stones are set too close for my taste.

Deb

Attachments

• somethingwrongtooclose.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 615

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This setting gives me an entirely different feeling. It feels spacious to me. It doesn't feel crowded.

somethingright.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring also gives me a feeling of space, of not being crowded (although I do not like the bezel-like thing around the red stone!).

Attachments

• somethingrightagain.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 615

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone tell me why I like the latter two rings and don't like the former two? What can I do to design a ring that will give me more of what the latter two rings have...maybe with slightly bigger or fifferent shaped diamonds? Or diamonds on a band as well as on side stones? But maintaining a delicate, spacious look? (Gotta go get the dog!)

Deb/AGBF

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb:

I could be wrong, but it looks like it might be a proportion issue, where you like smaller side stones in relation to the center stone than some of the rings you showed.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1305013443|2917137 said:
Deb:

I could be wrong, but it looks like it might be a proportion issue, where you like smaller side stones in relation to the center stone than some of the rings you showed.

minousbijoux-

Thank you so much for giving me your time! You have a great eye. May I impose again? Would you look back one page at my tanzanite ring. I very much like the proportion of that oval stone with the pears. I would be happy to set the red spinel with similar pear shaped diamonds or to get round stones of a size that hit the oval spinel at the same place that those pears hit the side of the oval tanzanite. I would guess that they are about 1/3 of the oval's length.

Deb/AGBF

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am totally flattered, but I'm really not sure I should be giving you any advice on how to make jewelry! I have learned so much from PS and one of the things I've learned is that you can know about stones without knowing anything about how to set a stone to maximize its qualities and character. I defer to the jewelry/design/setting experts for that - folks like LovingDiamonds and TL.

That said, I love the proportions on your tanzanite ring - I just love that ring! I am realizing that I like pears next to center stones much better than small rounds next to center stones, so you know what my answer would be...

If I were you, I would take my time, and think about it - you've done the hard part and found the stone. Now you get to enjoy thinking through all the possibilities!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting comment about what you find aesthetically pleasing. Strangely I have an Asscher with side traps and the traps were set away (but in proportion) to the Asscher. I hated it because of the gap. It looked unfinished. What you've described as a feeling of space drove me right around the bend! I had it pushed together to close the gap! Looking at the pictures you've provided I'm not sure it's about closeness but more about size/relative proportion and shape of the side stones.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Deb! It's a lovely stone. As for setting, I like that of your tanzanite. Your idea oc spaciousness is intriguing. I'll mull on it, and hopefully be able to make a suggestion.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet|1305093267|2918233 said:
Congrats, Deb! It's a lovely stone. As for setting, I like that of your tanzanite. Your idea oc spaciousness is intriguing. I'll mull on it, and hopefully be able to make a suggestion.

Boy, is it great to see you again, old friend! A little bird told me you were on an exotic vacation, but I missed you like crazy! I couldn't wait for you to see my wonderful photos. I knew you'd be impressed by my photographic skills and my ability to get a great stone to look like a purple grape! But seriously, you are back in the nick of time to talk settings (as you are)!

Major hugs,
Deb

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Deb! I've been avoiding Colored Stones because I don't need to be tempted, but I absolutely had to take a peek at this gorgeous red spinel! :love: :love: :love: What a delightful project, Deb! I, too, think you just want a dainty shank with smaller accent sidestones. I'd probably talk to someone like Steven Kirsch to do a really elegant one!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on the stone! From what I can see, and it is obvious from your last photo, great color, flaming-red, beautiful!

I am of no help re. the setting... Actually, wanted to know who set your tanzanite ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb,
Are you thinking 3 stone or something else non halo?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1305117940|2918384 said:
Hi, Deb! I've been avoiding Colored Stones because I don't need to be tempted, but I absolutely had to take a peek at this gorgeous red spinel! :love: :love: :love: What a delightful project, Deb! I, too, think you just want a dainty shank with smaller accent sidestones. I'd probably talk to someone like Steven Kirsch to do a really elegant one!

Hi, my dear friend! I do not know Steven Kirsch or any of the famous setters because I have always had my stones set by a local person whom I love. I only know of Leon Megé because I was so horrified by stories of his rudeness that my hair stood on end, not because I knew anything of his work! Do tell me more about Steven Kirsch!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1305120251|2918407 said:
Congratulations on the stone! From what I can see, and it is obvious from your last photo, great color, flaming-red, beautiful!

I am of no help re. the setting... Actually, wanted to know who set your tanzanite ring.

Thank you for the kind words, crasru, I know you are quite a connaisseur of gems, owning many lovely ones yourself, so I take that as quite a compliment!

Rupert, a bench jeweler-and a very talented one who worked for several big name jewelers in Greenwich, Connecticut before settling down with them-at Grunberger Jewelers in Stamford, Connecticut made the ring for me. He also made my diamond solitaire.

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305120633|2918413 said:
Are you thinking 3 stone or something else non halo?

Great to see you back watching over me, Chrono! I know if you're around, I won't make an egregious error!!! I have to admit that I toyed with the notion of a halo. It was tempting. But I kept going back to the 3 stone. I think it was my red stone dream ring for too long for me to let it go when I finally got a red stone I really liked!

Deb

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies for not keeping up to date as I wasn't present all of last week.

Now that you are sure about it being a 3 stone, are you looking for something fancier or straightforward? Meaning as in a trellis type or straight up plain baskets? Round sides or some other shape?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Broken record Sharon here--three stone, all ovals, set east/west. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,

How about orienting the stone NS and having a band of baguettes 3/4 ways a round? (Sorry, Sharon ;-) ) You could bezel each baguette so they look more spaced out.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet|1305174547|2919424 said:
How about orienting the stone NS and having a band of baguettes 3/4 ways a round? (Sorry, Sharon ;-) ) You could bezel each baguette so they look more spaced out.

I need to see a similar ring, Harriet! I don't know if that would be enough diamond to accent my stone or too much. It might depend on the design. I'd like to see some rings with bezeled bands of the kind you were envisioning. (I really wouldn't want a band with many tall north-south bezels next to each other, although I love that look if there's no center stone!) I do agree with you that pears is always a classic look, though!

Deb/AGBF

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,

I was unclear. I'd set the baguettes E-W.

I've missed you too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Harriet!!! Please, please chime in on my sapphire thread if you have a minute!

Deb, Steven formerly worked for Leon but left and started his own business. He redid a ring that Leon had not done to perfection for a PS member and did a fabulous job! Since then, he made another ring for her, redid Gypsy's halo, and a couple of others are in the works. So if you did see any Leon designs you like, many are choosing Steven to make their items instead.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I just read through your whole thread to see how your quest for the perfect stone progressed! I just now saw your original photo of your stone on page 7 that shows the magnificent red that it is! I just love the color! I am sure I will never have one, but if I did, it would surely be like yours! But I am going to try for some less rare colors since many of those are very beautiful, too!

I'll be interested to see how you decide to set it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1305013443|2917137 said:
Deb:

Earlier in this thread I posted four photos of rings with red oval center stones and diamond sidestones. I mentioned which ones I liked and which ones looked as if the sidestones were too close. minousbijoux gave them her attention and speculated that proportion might be the issue.

I have looked at the pictures of two oval stones set in rings with pear sidestones, however, and I think that the pears sidestones are approximately the same proportion to the center oval in each ring. What differs (I think) is that the pears are well separated from the center stone in one ring and not in the other. Would you all, please, look at these two photos for me and tell me what is different in the way that the rings are set?

The ring pictured below is the one that I prefer, the one that appears to me to have adequate separation between the stones.

Thank you!

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• separationbetweenstones.bmp
    148.6 KB · Views: 329

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring made me feel that the sidestones crowded the center stone.

noseparationbetweenstones.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results