shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Can't WAIT to see this!! IMO, I LOVE your interpretation of red! Glorious gorgeousness!!!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with Uppy, I think that red is fantastic and can't wait to see how you like it when you've got it! I actually said "woo" so loud when I saw that picture that I startled the cats!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like you have a winner! Personally, I love this shade of red, so I see why you chose it, and I'm so glad that you didn't have to sacrifice the size you were looking for, either. Have you checked the color in all lights, to make sure it either holds its color, or that you like the shifts in all lights?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout: :lickout:

Thats looks to me like a lifesaver color. Yummy!! Thanks for sharing Deb, its gorgeous! :appl:

Oh and the term pigeon blood may romance a stone for some but for others well... its kinda gross, especially if you're a vegetarian.

-A

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I'm not even sure I know anymore what a "true red" is, but I know I like your red - a lot! :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent a lot of time today just to take several photographs of the spinel...and none of the photos remotely resemble the stone! I will have to wait until my daughter's boyfriend gets home tonight to get them off my memory card and onto my computer into a place where I can move them around. But I may ask a friend's son, who is a professional photographer, to take a few pictures of the stone for me when he has time. Otherwise you will think I bought a dark garnet-colored stone with black markings, if you go by my photographs. Not that I have seen them, but I saw what was in the camera window as I set up I the shots! How can a bright red stone look purple or orangey-brown in the window of a camera?

And, this is a special question for people in the Colored Stones forum, how can a red stone look purple one minute (in a camera window) and orangey-brown the next? Shouldn't bad hue remain either too brown or too purple?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

edited for spelling

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous red, Deb! personally, i prefer it to the "pigeon" coveted by so many......unless $ is of no object most "pigeon" red seen is too dark. even when $ is no object i prefer this red! i'm going to call it Deb's Red should i ever go looking for a red spinel!

re your question: i think its still all about lighting. unless doing a professional shot, we're not controling the lighting and it does change minutely every minute. that's my theory anyway.

MoZo

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1304791922|2914898 said:
I spent a lot of time today just to take several photographs of the spinel...and none of the photos remotely resemble the stone! I will have to wait until my daughter's boyfriend gets home tonight to get them off my memory card and onto my computer into a place where I can move them around. But I may ask a friend's son, who is a professional photographer, to take a few pictures of the stone for me when he has time. Otherwise you will think I bought a dark garnet-colored stone with black markings, if you go by my photographs. Not that I have seen them, but I saw what was in the camera window as I set up I the shots! How can a bright red stone look purple or orangey-brown in the window of a camera?

And, this is a special question for people in the Colored Stones forum, how can a red stone look purple one minute (in a camera window) and orangey-brown the next? Shouldn't bad hue remain either too brown or too purple?

Deb/AGBF

edited for spelling

Don't trust camera windows. They most often lie. I wish I could come down to there and help you out but work is a little crazy. I'd love to meet the spinel, Griffin, and of course you!

Wait to pass judgment on your photos until you get them on a screen. I take about 45 pictures and get maybe 4 good ones per stone. I then tweak them to match what I see in real life (usually not that much tweaking because my camera helps me out a lot :D)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor|1304793061|2914911 said:
I wish I could come down to there and help you out but work is a little crazy. I'd love to meet the spinel, Griffin, and of course you!

Hmmm. So you're still in New Haven, not in Buffalo yet? I'd grab Griffin and the spinel and get in my Jeep, except that Griffin doesn't get into my Jeep. Also: without the snow, I'd never find your house!

Deb/AGBF

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Deb, I cannot wait for you to share pictures of your gem!

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't edit my photos. I don't know what will post and what will not. The first photo I took was of the front of the lab report.

DSC00159.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is from inside the lab report. Once it is on the screen, I will be able to see what it says!

DSC00160.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This picture of the spinel was on the lab report along with all kinds of disclaimers!

DSC00161.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another part of the lab report.

DSC00162.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More of the report.

DSC00163.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the first picture I took of the stone. It is totally unedited in in any way, not even adjusted for brightness, darkness, or to be "automatically" fixed. It probably bears no resemblance to my poor stone!

DSC00167.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This photo I "edited" to the extent that I went into Picnik and neutralized the background color then let the chips fall where they might as to what happened with the color of the stone. My stone looks nothing like what I saw in the editor, but I said I'd post pictures. This is hopeless.

DSC00168.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even as I took this picture I could see it made my stone look as if it had a window in it! Now it looks like a purple grape. A big purple grape with a large window. That isn't what my stone looks like. I have to get my friend's son on board to photograph this thing!!!

Deb

DSC00169.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the last picture of that series.

DSC00170.JPG

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
That stone literally takes my breath away and I'm really not a red stone 'lover' :appl: :appl:

Congratulations on your new beauty! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and it looks like even if it does have a small window, it will undoubtedly be minimized once set. Now you get to do the fun part and figure out how to mount it! Oh boy! :appl:

T

talamasca

AGBF|1304748344|2914619 said:
Before anyone jumps all over me because the, "make" or "cut" of this stone is not perfect, let me tell you that I know it. However, I was looking for color. If you read this thread in its entirety, you will see that I was obsessed with having a true red of the hue and saturation I wanted, the hue that I posted about incessantly to alert others of my exact preference! I didn't really want a "pigeon's blood" because that might be too purple. I had thought I wanted a "stoplight red", but I didn't want a neon glow! Like Goldilocks, I wanted my porridge, "just right". In the end, with this stone, I got the red I wanted, what is, to me, a true red.

Hehe, Goldilocks sounds just like me!

I love the stone you've gone for. The red is gorgeous and can't wait to see more pics and it set :D

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, even with my camera I can have problems with certain colors, especially when they're super vivid. My red spinel was all over the place. Many of the pictures I took fell short of what I saw IRL. And unless you're in a super controlled environment, you're not going to get the same red all the time anyway. Then there's the other problem of not being able to get the shot as you visibly see it. Welcome to the world of digital cameras!!

Its beautifully clean with some size on it!

-A

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well...a big thank you to those of you who responded despite the quality of my current pictures. I am determined to get some better photos into this thread before it closes! Then I want to start a thread on setting the stone. I had originally planned on having it be more or less like my tanzanite: a solitary oval set off with diamond sidestones, maybe pears. I benefited from a recent thread in Colored Stones on setting oval stones, though.

I can't quite bring myself to make this into a halo, which I know would make it look very grand. I always loved the look of the opal ring (in a plain Stuller setting but with some very nice VS diamonds we chose) Rick Martin made for my daughter's 16th birthday-and she immediately lost! I wondered if I should turn a pair of earrings I have into small, round side stones to set off this oval much as those stones set off the opal. What do you think?

Here is a picture of the lost opal ring. I will go see if I can look up the stats on my earrings somewhere on Pricescope!

Deb/AGBF

OpalRingAGBFDaughter.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that I should also show you what my tanzanite ring, flanked by diamond pears, looked like!

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• TanzaniteAndDiamondRingAGBF.bmp
    324.1 KB · Views: 370

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, I can tell you that when I went looking at settings for my red spinel, I couldn't bring myself to go with a halo. I guess for now, I'm bored with them... Its a cycle I'm sure that I'm going through...lol Whatever your individual style is, I say go with it. You know what you're going to wear more than anyone else.

I think your red stone will do fine with a couple of side stones because of its size and color. The tanzanite ring is lovely btw!

-A

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1304958371|2916319 said:
Deb, I can tell you that when I went looking at settings for my red spinel, I couldn't bring myself to go with a halo. I guess for now, I'm bored with them... Its a cycle I'm sure that I'm going through...lol Whatever your individual style is, I say go with it. You know what you're going to wear more than anyone else.

I think your red stone will do fine with a couple of side stones because of its size and color. The tanzanite ring is lovely btw!

Thanks, Arcadian- I think I may be in the same place you are. I have a feeling that if i get a halo, it will date the ring as coming from 2011. Not that that is bad in and of itself, except that I will think of everyone else's halo rings when I see mine. Not that an oval with pears is something new and unique!!!

I looked up my earrings on Pricescope. I didn't see a photo jump out at me, but I did see that they are .50 carats each; D color; and great cut. I remember insisting on getting a GIA or AGS cert for each of them. They are, therefore, VS quality or above. That is the pro side. The con side is that I think my other red spinel is set with round diamond sidestones. I really don't want to repeat that ring!

Thanks for the vote of confidence over setting the stone!

Deb/AGBF

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow--what a centerpiece that stone will make! Would you consider setting it E/W--there is one ring on PS that is my all time fav--E/W setting....

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1304973336|2916589 said:
Wow--what a centerpiece that stone will make! Would you consider setting it E/W--there is one ring on PS that is my all time fav--E/W setting....

Do you have a picture of it, Sharon?

Deb

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1304982615|2916761 said:
canuk-gal|1304973336|2916589 said:

Do you have a picture of it, Sharon?

Deb

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-uber-mege-new-e-w-oval-yellow-diamond-halo.139886/?hilit=uber%20uber%20mege']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-is-uber-mege-new-e-w-oval-yellow-diamond-halo.139886/?hilit=uber%20uber%20mege[/URL]

MAchick Greenlake ring (E/W setting) is my all time fav....(I threw Leon in there for fun!).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-ring-custom-from-greenlake-jewelry-works.45126/[/URL]

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results