shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Harriet mentioned bezelling baguettes in one of her postings above. I assume that, somehow, that would achieve the look of the first ring with the pears sidestones I posted, because I saw that there seemed to be a partial bezel around the stones. But were the stones also set farther apart than than in the second ring?

Does anyone have a photo of a ring with bezelled baguette sidestones?

Right now pears are looking pretty good. I wonder about other tiny stones in the band or near the oval, though, if I do pears.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may just be getting very tired and silly, but I have been looking at photos of rings for hours and everything is starting to look possible to me. I saw some diamond eternity rings on the Google images pages and could see my oval red spinel sitting in the middle of one (with the correct proportions, of course). Then I remembered a Michael B. lace wedding band that has been on my Pearlman's wish list for about five years and wondered how it would look if I stuck a red spinel onto it. (It never even occurred to me that Michael B makes engagement rings!)

My Michael B. lace wedding band doesn't seem to have an engagement ring counterpart. (If it does, maybe one has to inquire about it.). I did, however, see this engagement ring. How do you think this would look with an oval red spinel. The prongs are huge, but it's a nice ring.

Deb/AGBF, very tired...

HowAboutWithARedOval.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some bezeled french cuts which could be baguettes (although not the design Harriet was talking about).

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1482&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Also, I was looking at Cross Jewelers site tonight at sapphire rings, and they had one 3 stone setting with a little separation between center and side stones and they called it the same name as the regular setting but with an airline. I'll see if I can find it for you.

regular setting http://www.crossjewelers.com/files/products/f3348_zoom.jpg

setting with airline http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/details.asp?ProductID=885

Sorry, it is just so late I can't copy the pictures and post them! I am headed to bed!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1305349155|2921511 said:
I may just be getting very tired and silly, but I have been looking at photos of rings for hours and everything is starting to look possible to me. I saw some diamond eternity rings on the Google images pages and could see my oval red spinel sitting in the middle of one (with the correct proportions, of course). Then I remembered a Michael B. lace wedding band that has been on my Pearlman's wish list for about five years and wondered how it would look if I stuck a red spinel onto it. (It never even occurred to me that Michael B makes engagement rings!)

My Michael B. lace wedding band doesn't seem to have an engagement ring counterpart. (If it does, maybe one has to inquire about it.). I did, however, see this engagement ring. How do you think this would look with an oval red spinel. The prongs are huge, but it's a nice ring.

Deb/AGBF, very tired...

Yes, we are BOTH up too late!!! That IS the matching lace e-ring, I believe. I've seen someone on PS before who had one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1305349581|2921516 said:
Here are some bezeled french cuts which could be baguettes (although not the design Harriet was talking about).

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1482&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Also, I was looking at Cross Jewelers site tonight at sapphire rings, and they had one 3 stone setting with a little separation between center and side stones and they called it the same name as the regular setting but with an airline. I'll see if I can find it for you.

regular setting http://www.crossjewelers.com/files/products/f3348_zoom.jpg

setting with airline http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/details.asp?ProductID=885

Sorry, it is just so late I can't copy the pictures and post them! I am headed to bed!

diamondseeker-I can't believe it!!! I have been on diamond fora for a full ten years and now I learn from you that what I needed all along was airlines!!! Why have I never before heard of, "airlines"? It sounds as if they may make a huge difference in the way stones look!!! Thank you so much for bothering to share what you learned from your sapphire hunting, in the middle of the night no less!!! I haven't yet visited your thread and do not have any idea at which stage you are in building a ring, so what can I say except that you are a better woman than I am? (But everybody knew that!!!)

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look that is caused by the airlines...the separation...but I don't care for the chunky "profile". If I were designing a ring I'd try to get that separation without the chunkiness. (If I were at Grunberger Jewelers I'd tell Rupert what I wanted and he'd fix it!!!) I needed to know about those, "airlines", though. Those are an absolute lifesaver!!!

Deb

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, we are all on a learning quest, that is for sure! I was interested to see how Cross was setting their sapphires as I remembered they did pretty classic settings. And then I saw the same setting name one without airline and one with. I actually know the term airline in relation to halos when there is a little space between the center stone and the halo. So I had never heard the word used for space between center and sidestones! But I totally agree that settings can be more fluid and elegant than those. The handmade ones we see here usually are.

I am just looking for a sapphire and I am getting someone to look for me. I just can't judge a thing by pictures on the internet! I will have to go small for a blue sapphire, though! I am interested in a spinel as well.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1304748344|2914619 said:
Before anyone jumps all over me because the, "make" or "cut" of this stone is not perfect, let me tell you that I know it. However, I was looking for color. If you read this thread in its entirety, you will see that I was obsessed with having a true red of the hue and saturation I wanted, the hue that I posted about incessantly to alert others of my exact preference! I didn't really want a "pigeon's blood" because that might be too purple. I had thought I wanted a "stoplight red", but I didn't want a neon glow! Like Goldilocks, I wanted my porridge, "just right". In the end, with this stone, I got the red I wanted, what is, to me, a true red.

Well...I got very lucky. My persistence and the Pricescope website which reaches many people brought me a friend who is an extremely private individual. She referred me to one of her vendors, who helped me to find a very special stone. I tried to take some pictures today, but didn't have enough time in the sun. I will post one I had from the vendor, though.

Here are the stone's statistics (I had an AGL report made).

It weighs 3.16 carats.
Its measurements are: 10.24mm x 8.25mm x 4.91mm.
It originated in Myanmar (Burma).
It is untreated (but spinels are almost always untreated, so that is nothing special).
Color description: red
Shape: cushion
Cutting style: mixed cut
Cutting grade: very good to good (4-5)
Finish grade: very good to good (4-5)
Color grade: 2.5/80
Clarity grade: LI1 (lightly included)
Total quality: excellent to very good

...and did I mention that I like the color?

Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Oh I am so thrilled for you! i came here to see if you found anything and I'm so happy that you did and that it's exquisite!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Airlines

Ladies, there was a time when I couldn't figure out if it was a "hairline" or an "airline." :D

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
deb, i've always thought finding the stone was easier than deciding how to set it........sigh.

MoZo

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone! I needed some visual help, so I am posting a photo of my spinel rotated so that I (and you) can see it the way it would be placed in a ring. (Sorry, Sharon, I have to do North-South.)

I have been looking at colored stones as possible sidestones. I don't know that I would actually use them, but I wanted to be open to them. I imported pictures of some (green) garnets that I wanted to put up for feedback. For some reason it didn't seem weird to me to have red and green stones together. Not only is it done at Christmas, but it is done in traditional Pakistani girls' garments. (I know because when my daughter was young one of her close friends was the daughter of a prominent Pakistani family who travelled there frequently. They would buy an outfit for her for me if I gave them the money for one. Once I had seen the red and green, I never wanted anything else!)

Here is my red stone once again!

Deb/AGBF

UprightRedSpinel.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if the red spinel was flanked with pear sidestones the color of this green tsavorite? I actually meant with green tsavorite pears of this color? Or would you prefer emeralds?

Deb/AGBF

AGBFtsavorite.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote's for tsavorite. Its optical properties seem to match spinel better than emerald's.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote is for diamonds. I don't think there is anything else that would compliment the stone.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305550576|2922931 said:
My vote is for diamonds. I don't think there is anything else that would compliment the stone.
+1. Colorless diamonds that won't bring out any other hue in the red. Tsavorites are nice but do you really want a Christmas ring (red & green)?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty and diamondseeker-In the light of day I can see that you are both right. Late at night, when I am tired, I tend to get kind of wild and would make very rash decisions if I were making them then!

Actually, I think I would love to have a Christmas ring, but only if I had a lot more money than I have and could afford a regular ruby or red spinel ring, too! Then I could put the Christmas ring on for the Christmas season! Or maybe just for one Christmas party. But I acknowledge the wisdom of diamonds for a regular ring.

Deb/AGBF

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote diamonds!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1305563570|2923092 said:
herekittykitty and diamondseeker-In the light of day I can see that you are both right. Late at night, when I am tired, I tend to get kind of wild and would make very rash decisions if I were making them then!

Actually, I think I would love to have a Christmas ring, but only if I had a lot more money than I have and could afford a regular ruby or red spinel ring, too! Then I could put the Christmas ring on for the Christmas season! Or maybe just for one Christmas party. But I acknowledge the wisdom of diamonds for a regular ring.

Deb/AGBF

Why not put Red in a solitaire and get two enhancers, one with diamonds and one with tsavorites. :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1305563570|2923092 said:

Deb/AGBF

Ah, now wouldn't it be delightful if we could have special rings for all holidays! I should add that to my list of all the things I'd do if I won the imaginary lottery! :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would surround it with diamonds because it will only make the red look redder (if that's possible ;-) ). To me, there is nothing more beautiful than a fine Burmese ruby flanked on either side by diamonds, and I think your spinel would be akin to that type of look. Look at how your spinel pops against a white background. I think tsavorites might make it look too "Christmasy."

Burmarubydiamonds.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all of you who advise that I use diamonds, and I am assuming that Harriet is in that camp. I think when she mentioned tsavorites it was only in the context of, "marginally better than emeralds", not as her stone of preference for the accent stone for my red spinel!

I looked at some pears on-line yesterday. I have no money at the moment, but when I do I think I would like to buy matching pear sidestones of about .50 carat each that look in really good proportion to the spinel. I get very hung up on what looks, "in proportion". I remember not finding diamond accent stones I bought for one stone just right for it and having to change the size! (I think that was pears with my other red spinel! I ended up having to use the pears for my tanzanite and going to rounds with the spinel or something.)

At any rate, I think I will-and I know I am boring-basically repeat what I did with my tanzanite-although I am willing to change the setting itself a little!!!-buy two D colored excellent cut pear shaped diamonds in at least a VS clarity and set them E-W with the spinel set N-S.

I am open to making the setting look special, though!!!

Deb
:saint:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are definitely the safer way to go; they match anything and everything, they are for all occasions. If budget allows and you want something a little different, will you consider coloured diamonds?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
AGBF, did you say who you bought the stone from? I would love to find a red spinel as beautiful as yours!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Just for something different, how about moonstones or opals as side stones?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Any chance you would consider marquise? More than one, fan shaped...gotta find a picutre. A la Harry Winston. Oscar Heyman....yanno.

How 'bout AVC? There is are some DIF's I've had my eye some..... :love:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1306779278|2933818 said:
HI:

Any chance you would consider marquise? More than one, fan shaped...gotta find a picutre. A la Harry Winston. Oscar Heyman....yanno.

How 'bout AVC? There is are some DIF's I've had my eye some..... :love:

cheers--Sharon

I had an arrhythmia looking at this site....luckily it was not a harmful one.... :bigsmile:

http://www.harrywinston.com/incredibles

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1306779278|2933818 said:

How 'bout AVC?

No August Vintage Cuts. I looked into small AVCs for earrings a few months ago and gave it up. I absolutely love the cut, but think it needs to be on a big stone for its beauty to be maximized. (By a big stone, I don't mean a 4 carat! I mean a stone other than one for side accent stones on a three-stone ring or for small diamond ear studs!)

That Harry Winston ring is too much bling for my taste, but beautiful. I love the white marquise stones against the emerald and then those rose gold prongs that look like leaves! Gorgeous!!! If someone could design a ring for me with marquise stones and a fairy-like touch, I'd love it! In fact, I'll post a photo (if I can find it) from that site of a draping strand of sapphires I love! Maybe I could drape diamonds!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1306803778|2934128 said:
If someone could design a ring for me with marquise stones and a fairy-like touch, I'd love it! In fact, I'll post a photo (if I can find it) from that site of a draping strand of sapphires I love! Maybe I could drape diamonds!

I love the look of the strand of sapphires draped across this ring. I don't know if there is a way to incorporate a draped strand of diamonds into a ring with an oval center red spinel and still have it have a "finished" look. Any ideas? Any incorporating pear or marquise sidestones?

Deb/AGBF

TheRingWithADrape.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1306804435|2934142 said:
AGBF|1306803778|2934128 said:
If someone could design a ring for me with marquise stones and a fairy-like touch, I'd love it! In fact, I'll post a photo (if I can find it) from that site of a draping strand of sapphires I love! Maybe I could drape diamonds!

I love the look of the strand of sapphires draped across this ring. I don't know if there is a way to incorporate a draped strand of diamonds into a ring with an oval center red spinel and still have it have a "finished" look. Any ideas? Any incorporating pear or marquise sidestones?

Deb/AGBF

Have you looked at the Knox Jeweler's site? They have several styles that are similar to that using diamonds. I know they don't set outside stones, but they are an interesting inspiration site.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if this ring were made with less gold? Would it be possible for it to look a bit like the ring above the strand of sapphires (only using diamonds)?

Deb/AGBF

DoMoreDelicateRing.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results