shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1311341992|2974505 said:
If you like something slightly different, how about a 5 stone ring with side diamonds like TGal's Leon padparadscha ring?

I was unfamiliar with that ring and had to do a search on it, Chrono. Thank you for the tip. The style is not exactly what I am looking for, although it is a dazzler! The search did make me aware of another of the encyclopedic threads pulled together by Amy's Bling, however! This one is a great resource for anyone who wants to set an oval. I shall have to go back to it, now that I know it exists. Perhaps it is new!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ovals.163360/#post-2971719#p2971719']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-ovals.163360/#post-2971719#p2971719[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While looking in the original thread about ovals, I saw a reference to a ring of coatimundi's that was oval set with kite shaped side stones. I couldn't find a picture of her ring, so I went looking for a picture of any ring with, "kite shaped side stones". Does anyone know how to find a photo of her ring?

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• Ovalwithkiteshapedsidestones.bmp
    117.2 KB · Views: 656

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK. I think I have this right now. The center stone in this ring is obviously not an oval (although it came up when I searched Google Images for an oval). The sidestones, however, may be what I want to use with my oval! They seem to be Princess cut stones in kite settings. I had not heard of kite settings until I saw coatimundi's reference to having an oval set with kite sidestones in a Pricescope thread tonight. I don't think I had ever seen bullets as sidestones before, either. (I love them, too!)

I think that bullets and pears and princess cuts used in kite settings all really set off ovals well. I didn't know if I wanted to repeat pears as sidestones since I had used them with my tanzanite. I am very taken with Princess cuts in kite settings. In the position used in the ring shown below here. Not rectangular East-West, but square.

Deb/AGBF

ringwithkitesidestones.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1311405107|2975106 said:
pixies|1311404036|2975103 said:

Thank you for the link, pixies.

Deb

Deb did you see ephemery's ring on the page pixies linked? Below Coati's ring. Oval with rb sides. I recall at one point it was a look you liked. I love her ring and the proportions, it would look amazing with your spinel.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer=

Thank you for mentioning ephemery's lovely ring. When I looked through the thread, I certainly noticed it. It is the kind of delicate setting I have always loved. Delicate, elegant, classical. I have always preferred jewelry that was on the small side. Going for small, delicate, diamond sidestones that would make an elegant ring-especially one that tapers like ephemery's-would usually be ideal for me. I don't know why I have been assuming that I should use larger stones as sidestones this time, but I have been. Maybe I should rethink that. I had practically decided on .50 carat Princess cut diamonds to use as sidestones in kite settings! Maybe I should go smaller and delicate.

Thank you for the food for thought.

PS-I called ephemery's sidestones, "small", but I don't know what size they are. I was assuming they were under .50 carat, but perhaps they are not!!! My eye may not be that good! Does anyone know their size?

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• ephemeryring1.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 608
  • ephemeryring2.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 606

pixies

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1311488894|2975653 said:
Dreamer=

Thank you for mentioning ephemery's lovely ring. When I looked through the thread, I certainly noticed it. It is the kind of delicate setting I have always loved. Delicate, elegant, classical. I have always preferred jewelry that was on the small side. Going for small, delicate, diamond sidestones that would make an elegant ring-especially one that tapers like ephemery's-would usually be ideal for me. I don't know why I have been assuming that I should use larger stones as sidestones this time, but I have been. Maybe I should rethink that. I had practically decided on .50 carat Princess cut diamonds to use as sidestones in kite settings! Maybe I should go smaller and delicate.

PS-I called ephemery's sidestones, "small", but I don't know what size they are. I was assuming they were under .50 carat, but perhaps they are not!!! My eye may not be that good! Does anyone know their size?

Deb/AGBF
Your eyes did not deceive you, her thread states that the side stones are .30ctw (which would make the sides 15 pointers). Very pretty proportions!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-oval-e-ring-picture-heavy.46482/

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pixies|1311496759|2975663 said:
Dreamer=

Your eyes did not deceive you, her thread states that the side stones are .30ctw (which would make the sides 15 pointers). Very pretty proportions!

Thank you, pixies, once again. I appreciate your kindness in paying attention to my thread and retrieving information from other places for me! I would never have found those places!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tammy77|1311369159|2974828 said:
It's rubellite, but I stumbled upon this http://cgi.ebay.com/Platinum-Diamond-Rubellite-Ring-FREE-SHIPPING-/130405216370?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item1e5cc1b072 and figured I'd link it because it's fairly similar. I know nothing about the seller, etc., it just reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd link!

Thank you, tammy! I looked at this at least a day ago, but then something interrupted me (probably my daughter) before I had a chance to post anything to you! (She has been writing a research paper for a summer school English class.) I very much appreciate your looking for me.

I am currently thinking that I will not use a wide band, which I briefly considered. I have gone back to my original preference of a narrow band with a three stone setting (two diamond sidestones).

Again: thank you so much for looking!!!

Hugs,
Deb

pixies

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1311517094|2975701 said:
pixies|1311496759|2975663 said:
Dreamer=

Thank you, pixies, once again. I appreciate your kindness in paying attention to my thread and retrieving information from other places for me! I would never have found those places!

Deb
No problem! I love looking back at all the old threads for eye candy ;-).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a picture of coatimundi's oval with kite sidestones. I think I went astray when I confused kite sidestones and Princess cut stones in kite settings. Coati used the former, which, like bullets and pears, draw the eye gently away from from the larger center stone.

My idea of using Princess cut stones in kite settings (as pictured above in some rings) make an entirely different statemnt, creating space between the the center stone and the sidestones.

Deb/AGBF

Attachments

• coatisringwithkitestones.bmp
    506.3 KB · Views: 512

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I already have a red stone, but I found this picture of an oval ruby with pear cut diamonds. It is, apparently, available in either yellow gold or platinum for 12,000 to 15,000 Euros. I cannot guarantee that the price has not gone up, however. I also didn't read anything about the rubies used in the ring!

Deb/AGBF

rubygoldanddiamondring.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks pretty, but it's very hard to tell if the ruby performs from that picture. The color looks okay, but it might be dull.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1311815573|2978475 said:
It looks pretty, but it's very hard to tell if the ruby performs from that picture. The color looks okay, but it might be dull.

Well, since there is no way I can buy it, it is not going to be my worry! I am glad to get your opinion, though!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1312145074|2981198 said:

Thank you for posting, Dreamer. I saw the picture only recently and I might I might very well have missed it! I absolutely love that ring. I think you know exactly what I am looking for: a relatively large oval center stone with diamond side stones that are only moderately bulky at the sides of the center stone (at most) and then taper. The only question is exactly what the proportions should be!

The bullet stones don't work for me, but they are very, very close. Ephemery's stones would work for me if I had a diamond. It makes me wonder. Those pears next to the ruby on the ring a frame or two above your posting were a pretty ideal size for me. I think I may need pears after all, but pears that are smaller than I used with my tanzanite.

Again: thank you for your attention to my needs!!!

Deb

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can probably get different cuts of kite sidestones but the ones I've used in a necklace really look like a kite and if you don't like the idea of turning princess cuts on their edge you probably won't like kites either.

I've also turned princess cuts on the edge with a centre princess diamond also. I hated it. It wasn't asthetically pleasing to me because it had too much air and gaps although the centre stone (and in fact the sides too) were lovely. It just needed a re-set I think! :oops:

Rubellite Pendant2_1_1.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydaze|1312170094|2981406 said:
forgive me if this has been posted already... have you seen this agbf? i see you have a stone already, but i thought if nothing else the setting offered an idea similar to what you are thinking, no?

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-3-3691

What a great find, rainydaze! I have a feeling we should be cataloguing a photo of that ring somewhere. It is described as a cushion cut, but in my opinion, it is close enough to an oval to be in the thread Amy's Bling has on ovals that are set with different sidestones! (Those shield sidestones are not your everyday look!) Thank you so much for posting the link!

Deb

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1312173090|2981424 said:
forgive me if this has been posted already... have you seen this agbf? i see you have a stone already, but i thought if nothing else the setting offered an idea similar to what you are thinking, no?

What a great find, rainydaze! I have a feeling we should be cataloguing a photo of that ring somewhere. It is described as a cushion cut, but in my opinion, it is close enough to an oval to be in the thread Amy's Bling has on ovals that are set with different sidestones! (Those shield sidestones are not your everyday look!) Thank you so much for posting the link!

Deb

I had actually bookmarked this setting for my inspiration folder for my Tsavorite cushion, and if it strikes you that some cushion settings might work for your oval, I'll go back through the folder and see if there's anything else that might work. Are you set on tapered side stones at this point?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1312296940|2982283 said:
AGBF|1312173090|2981424 said:

I had actually bookmarked this setting for my inspiration folder for my Tsavorite cushion, and if it strikes you that some cushion settings might work for your oval, I'll go back through the folder and see if there's anything else that might work. Are you set on tapered side stones at this point?

I am back to tapered side stones, Aoife. I am still thinking I will use small pears, but am not 100% sure about it. I feel very stupid and frustrated with the whole project at this point. It has been going on forever...or so it seems! I never thought it would be hard to make simple decisions!

Thank you very much for your kindness in sticking with me through all this maddening fol-der-rol!

Hugs,
Deb

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
If you like something slightly different, how about a 5 stone ring with side diamonds like TGal's Leon padparadscha ring?

Oooh, I love this idea! :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1312312969|2982478 said:

Oooh, I love this idea!

Here is a photo of T-Gal's gorgeous ring. Her half moon sides are too big for the look I want...or something about the half moons is not right for me... but the baguettes are in-line with what I am looking for. I am not sure if I can pull off a modification of the look of this ring! It is larger than life. The ring I envision is not!!!

Deb

Attachments

• TGailsFiveStone.bmp
    843.8 KB · Views: 320

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, I read through this entire thread again, and most things that I had saved have either been linked to, or really wouldn't work for the "feel" of the ring you say you want. I saved quite a few vintage-type pieces with milgrain and so on, which it doesn't seem is the look you want. There are a couple of inspiration rings I keep coming back to, though, although neither of them show a cushion. I do think they could easily be adapted, and the proportions on both are very classic, IMO. See what you think:

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-lily-three-stone-engagement-ring.html

I adore the Asprey shank on this one from BGD:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5557

Do you have a local jeweler who would be willing to source some pear side stones in different sizes for you to play with IRL?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two photos of the second ring for which Aoife provided a link. They are actually photos of a ring that incorporates side stones of the type I had been most seriously considering recently, pears. The setting, is, apparently one made by Brian Gavin. It is very nice. I am not sure what makes this, "Grace" setting different from any other setting with pears, other than that one can buy it already made. It is very nice, but I have asked Jonathan of Good Old Gold to find my stones (whatever kind and size I decide on). Since I want to set on my budget, I hope that once I decide on them he can set them simply and inexpensively!

Deb/AGBF

BrianGavinGraceThreeStoneSetting.jpg

GraceThreeStonePears.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I should post a better photo of the frontal shot of the BGD three stone setting with the pear side stones!

Deb/AGBF

BGDPears.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting the photos, Deb. For some reason I haven't been able to upload photos to PS recently. Regarding the BGD setting: as far as I know, none of the Brian Gavin settings are ready made. The Grace 3-stone I linked is a fairly standard interpretation of a classic theme, but I like the proportions of the pears, and the detail of the Asprey shank.

It sounds as though you're making progress in your quest for the perfect setting for your lovely spinel! I hope that GOG finds exactly what you're looking for, and having them do the setting is a great idea. I'll be looking forward to seeing the finished ring.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update: Jonathan is looking for two matched pear shaped diamond side stones to complement my red spinel. He will also be supplying the ring, based on the look of Brian Gavin's "Grace" ring shown above. I told him that I want less metal in my ring, no "shelf" at the place where the pears come to a point. I want delicate, graceful lines. He does not, yet, have my spinel but he knows its proportions and has run different sizes and shapes of pears by me in proportion to it to see what proportions I like before he buys stones. I am hoping that the ring turns out well!

This has been a slow process, but I feel that it has gone where it should go.

Deb/AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results