shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find A Red Stone: A Red Spinel or A Ruby!

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babydoll_mini|1299728468|2868610 said:
Chrono|1299674916|2868069 said:
Unfortunately, that spinel was sold a while back when pricing was not too scary. I believe it was somewhere around $2K to $3K per carat.

;(

Dear Chrono and other experts, what do you think of this hot pink spinel, is it of good saturation?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-45ct-Screaming-Oval-Natural-Tanzania-Hot-Pink-Spinel-/370179187146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56306621ca

Are you looking for a hot pink spinel, babydoll_mini? Or a red one? Are you looking for a specific shape? May I help you start a thread about your search?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1299731235|2868642 said:
babydoll_mini|1299728468|2868610 said:
Chrono|1299674916|2868069 said:
Unfortunately, that spinel was sold a while back when pricing was not too scary. I believe it was somewhere around $2K to $3K per carat.

;(

Dear Chrono and other experts, what do you think of this hot pink spinel, is it of good saturation?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-45ct-Screaming-Oval-Natural-Tanzania-Hot-Pink-Spinel-/370179187146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56306621ca

Are you looking for a hot pink spinel, babydoll_mini? Or a red one? Are you looking for a specific shape? May I help you start a thread about your search?

Deb/AGBF

Eh...Hi AGBF, I'm not really looking for anything...
I'm sorry, didn't mean to stir your thread.
Just would like to discuss the saturation a little bit since it is mentioned earlier in this thread.
I found I don't have a good eye for saturation and since this thread have so many experts... you know...
Sorry again!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
baby, good to start your own thread so you get specific answers to your questions...and its less confusing for those of us trying to respond....it can get very confusing when threads get into many pages as this one has.

MoZo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ruby looks pretty included and opaque; it’s a stone a bench person may not be willing to handle for fear of damage.
The spinel looks nice and bright although due to the depth, faces up quite small for its carat weight. Colour wise though, it looks quite nice and with fluorescence, will look nicer outdoors. The thing to note with spinels is that they do shift indoors and I wouldn’t want to guess how orange or muddy it might be.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyobody remember this thread and my search? I found this thread on page 8 and resuscitated it because I was afraid that it might, otherwise, be automatically closed. I didn't want that to happen as I have not, yet, received my stone!

Deb/AGBF

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I Remembered !!!!! :wavey:

For whatever reason, I figured you found your stone and
I somehow missed it !!!
So you haven't found your holy grail yet?
I am glad you resuscitated the thread !!!!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow I saw this up here and thought you'd found it!! So whats the word??

-A

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1302144672|2889850 said:

-A

my reaction and thoughts exactly! i was expecting pictures!!!!!

MoZo

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1302148874|2889919 said:

-A

MoZo

Me too! Do you know when you expect it?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Novel|1302184815|2890065 said:
movie zombie|1302148874|2889919 said:

-A

MoZo

Me too! Do you know when you expect it?

I haven't been given an exact day, but I expect it soon!

Deb/AGBF

stylish1

Rough_Rock
AGBF-I'm late commenting on your post but what I've read and looked at so far when someone says red, I think of a deep red color, not a semi-red mix or almost red. The two pictures from the posting show a deep red color, garnet red, as described, and what I would call a pinky-reddish color, which does show better because of the cut of the stone and how light works through it, but not a real red.

untitled.png

010.png

stylish1

Rough_Rock
A ruby red is again, a little different, not a deep red, but more of a pinkish-red color. My pc is also what I'm using for color checking so that is a factor I'm sure.

3.02 ca bur.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stylish1: its odd how much you remind me of another poster we used to have. But oh well.

I just want to say that your first post here had two photos and you used the top one as a base of comparison - no one, and I mean no one on here would put that in the category of red. It is just plain a mediocre at best stone - overly dark, black modifier, and a huge window. I don't think anyone on here was considering that, only as an example of a windowed stone. Just a point of clarification.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confused. I thought the point of this thread was not to argue what a "true red" was, but for me to articulate what red I wanted so that others could help me to find it!

Deb/AGBF

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So when will it arrive?!! When I saw you had replied, I jumped to read it thinking you had your baby in hand and there would be pics, but no... :cry: :(

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
So did you find one?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oops sorry. I just read up top. Hope you love it!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1302659660|2894614 said:
I am confused. I thought the point of this thread was not to argue what a "true red" was, but for me to articulate what red I wanted so that others could help me to find it!

Deb/AGBF

my understanding as well....

MoZo

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Count me as another who is looking forward to seeing your update!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1302721022|2895182 said:
Count me as another who is looking forward to seeing your update!

Well...I have found one and I do have an update. I just haven't seen it yet, so I cannot be 100% sure that it will be the one for me. How can one know until he actually sees a stone with his own eyes, right? But I have paid for the stone and I expect it to arrive next week!!!

Deb/AGBF

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy [impatiently tapping foot], its taking a long time to get here... :errrr:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1302725192|2895242 said:
Boy [impatiently tapping foot], its taking a long time to get here... :errrr:

understatement!

MoZo

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before anyone jumps all over me because the, "make" or "cut" of this stone is not perfect, let me tell you that I know it. However, I was looking for color. If you read this thread in its entirety, you will see that I was obsessed with having a true red of the hue and saturation I wanted, the hue that I posted about incessantly to alert others of my exact preference! I didn't really want a "pigeon's blood" because that might be too purple. I had thought I wanted a "stoplight red", but I didn't want a neon glow! Like Goldilocks, I wanted my porridge, "just right". In the end, with this stone, I got the red I wanted, what is, to me, a true red.

Well...I got very lucky. My persistence and the Pricescope website which reaches many people brought me a friend who is an extremely private individual. She referred me to one of her vendors, who helped me to find a very special stone. I tried to take some pictures today, but didn't have enough time in the sun. I will post one I had from the vendor, though.

Here are the stone's statistics (I had an AGL report made).

It weighs 3.16 carats.
Its measurements are: 10.24mm x 8.25mm x 4.91mm.
It originated in Myanmar (Burma).
It is untreated (but spinels are almost always untreated, so that is nothing special).
Color description: red
Shape: cushion
Cutting style: mixed cut
Cutting grade: very good to good (4-5)
Finish grade: very good to good (4-5)
Color grade: 2.5/80
Clarity grade: LI1 (lightly included)
Total quality: excellent to very good

...and did I mention that I like the color?

Deb/AGBF

TheRedSpinelUnderDiscussion.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Deb,

That color looks soo very RED! Can't wait to see more of it!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Looks good so far, it's be interesting to see if this is the kind of red you're in to.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's red, Deb, but not pigeon blood, which you said you didn't want anyway. Nice color imo. Large too -- can't wait till you get pics!

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304765342|2914664 said:
It's red, Deb, but not pigeon blood, which you said you didn't want anyway. Nice color imo. Large too -- can't wait till you get pics!

As I said above, Laurie, "I thought the point of this thread was not to argue what a 'true red' was, but for me to articulate what red I wanted so that others could help me to find it!" Having this thread was what caused me to find the stone of the correct redness for me. If I hadn't been able to post endless photographs and discuss color endlessly, I would never have gotten the help I needed in finding just the red I wanted. Never. Pricescope made this possible. I cannot imagine being able to do this before there was an Internet. Maybe some people could. In fact I am certain some people could and did. But I don't have the knowledge of gemstones to describe what I want without the aid of photographs!

I want to thank Andrey for making this Colored Stones forum available!

Deb/AGBF

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad to see you have found your red spinel! I look forward to more pics.

I hope you will be providing the name of the vendor, unless he/she/it doesn't sell to the public...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results