shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a weird diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for trade folks that isnt about any specific stone @Karl_K @Rockdiamond @Garry H (Cut Nut) : if I want to see the effects of fluor, do I need to stick with v strong fluor (vs "strong")? Also, do inclusions make the effects of fluor more noticable such that I should be looking for SI1/SI2 clarity, or is that irrelevant? Thanks!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Question for trade folks that isnt about any specific stone @Karl_K @Rockdiamond @Garry H (Cut Nut) : if I want to see the effects of fluor, do I need to stick with v strong fluor (vs "strong")? Also, do inclusions make the effects of fluor more noticable such that I should be looking for SI1/SI2 clarity, or is that irrelevant? Thanks!!
I really varies, its possible that a stone graded strong shows the effect more often than another graded v-strong in the real world with no added UV.
Internal graining and/or clouds combined with strong/v-strong can produce a milky diamond.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy, a gal after my own heart!! I ALSO noodle around looking at VSBF/SBF weirdo diamonds for fun. :D

But, you might want to scroll through this thread if the rounds are top contenders -- those rounds, at that size, will probably not look AVRish. I found fat arrows to still look quite RBish (not what I was looking for) - but if that is OK with you, then go for it!

Personally, I would go with a VSBF as long as you're open to a more generic cut -- i.e., as long as that oval doesn't have your heart, ha, because that one is sure unique! My e-ring center stone was graded SBF by EGL, and VSBF by GIA (so I am assuming it's on the border?) and it is just right IMO - no haze, but punchy blue in sun.

I think if I "needed" to find a VSBF funky stone for that inspiration setting I'd go with a heart. But, Ritani's search engine does allow VSBF (always annoyed me that JA's only goes to SBF...) and might be worth looking there for more weirdo stones! I'll be following along with you! :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, a gal after my own heart!! I ALSO noodle around looking at VSBF/SBF weirdo diamonds for fun. :D

But, you might want to scroll through this thread if the rounds are top contenders -- those rounds, at that size, will probably not look AVRish. I found fat arrows to still look quite RBish (not what I was looking for) - but if that is OK with you, then go for it!

Personally, I would go with a VSBF as long as you're open to a more generic cut -- i.e., as long as that oval doesn't have your heart, ha, because that one is sure unique! My e-ring center stone was graded SBF by EGL, and VSBF by GIA (so I am assuming it's on the border?) and it is just right IMO - no haze, but punchy blue in sun.

I think if I "needed" to find a VSBF funky stone for that inspiration setting I'd go with a heart. But, Ritani's search engine does allow VSBF (always annoyed me that JA's only goes to SBF...) and might be worth looking there for more weirdo stones! I'll be following along with you! :D

Hahaha I'm happy you linked that thread, because the one you thought was too much like an MRB is perfect for me.

Speaking of which, I have this on hold:

Screenshot_20230221-174700_Chrome.jpg

It's so chunky, and at .7ct I think I'll be able to appreciate the thick arrows. The only downside is that its "strong" instead of v strong fluor.

I also have this on hold, because I'm smitten with the idea of D/IF + v strong fluor: 20230219_164848.jpg downside of this one is that it's small (.3) and not ideally cut (though not bad either).

The first transitional looking one from my post (labeled as #5) is strong fluor. But I said I sidnt want a round.....ugh haha

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Ok from my own biases here - don't go smaller than your ideal. 0.3 is just a tiny droplet of sparkle when you're considering 0.7cts in the mix. I've seen some decently priced D/VSBF diamonds! For just a fun ring, I wouldn't be bothered by milkiness either... Might be kinda cool. If we don't lose power from the crazy wind we're having, I'll noodle around & see if there's anything wacky I stumble upon...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok from my own biases here - don't go smaller than your ideal. 0.3 is just a tiny droplet of sparkle when you're considering 0.7cts in the mix. I've seen some decently priced D/VSBF diamonds! For just a fun ring, I wouldn't be bothered by milkiness either... Might be kinda cool. If we don't lose power from the crazy wind we're having, I'll noodle around & see if there's anything wacky I stumble upon...

Good point. I think .5 to .8 is my ideal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol @sledge good idea. Such a dumb policy overall. Ugh.

PS is being weird on my phone and pasted a draft message from here onto another thread. But what I was writing here was that I'm trying to avoid a round (because overall I think a heart/oval/pear suits the style of the ring best), but saw this and might have to buy it. I haven't seen such a perfectly cut stone that wasnt a super ideal in a while.

To whoever bought this despite my best efforts to remove vendor info: grrrrrrr

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really sucks, and I'm sorry you lost it.

That's ok. It was strong fluor instead of v strong, and I think given that the entire point is to find a stone that has the weird blue look in certain angles outside, I need to stick with v strong. But I'm still irritated haha.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
That's ok. It was strong fluor instead of v strong, and I think given that the entire point is to find a stone that has the weird blue look in certain angles outside, I need to stick with v strong. But I'm still irritated haha.

I would be too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - that stinks and stings! If they would just ask, people would help them too. Scarfing something up that someone else is interested is disgusting!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think I'm currently down to 2 choices.

1. This weirdo. Pros: THE FATTEST ARROWS. Cons: Strong fluor instead of v strong and about $200 over my self-imposed budget. @flyingpig you found a similar stone to this one at one point--what do you think?

2. The weird oval. Pros: The wierdness. Cons: there aren't many cons to this one in my mind except for it being potentially too weird and me having to return it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to annoyingly tag folks, but need to figure out if I want one of these since the hold will expire. Thoughts on my current final 2? Or should I keep looking?

@DejaWiz @oldcutclubmember @Kim N @evergreen

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Have you reached out to Jon at DG to see if he has any really weird experimental cuts that he's been toying around with?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
The bottom is too weird for me and the round is too normal. I like @DejaWiz 's idea.

Or David posted a pear he sold with SBF that had a wonderful cut.
1677167836660.png

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bottom is too weird for me and the round is too normal. I like @DejaWiz 's idea.

Or David posted a pear he sold with SBF that had a wonderful cut.
1677167836660.png

Ahhh that pear is exactly the perfect fluor color.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Also, it isnt stated anywhere in their return policy that someone cant buy 2 stones and then theoretically return both. So that's frustrating.

They finally answered me and apparently if I order a stone and return it, I would need to wait some unknown amount of time to order a different stone in order for it to count as a new order and not be subject to the above policy. But buyer beware, if you purchase a stone and then EXCHANGE for a 2nd stone they WONT extend the 30 day return policy (which starts the day they ship, not the day you receive). So you'll be forced to keep the 2nd item due to time (they explicitly told me that).

Do they have certifications you can look up on another vendor's site and then try to price match? As I'm sure you know, many stones are sold by different vendors.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is lower in color than you want but VSB and I can clearly see the blue! Is it not “weird” enough of a shape for you? Too big? What’s your budget btw?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think I'm currently down to 2 choices.

1. This weirdo. Pros: THE FATTEST ARROWS. Cons: Strong fluor instead of v strong and about $200 over my self-imposed budget. @flyingpig you found a similar stone to this one at one point--what do you think?

Screenshot_20230221-174700_Chrome.jpg

2. The weird oval. Pros: The wierdness. Cons: there aren't many cons to this one in my mind except for it being potentially too weird and me having to return it.

20230219_164858.jpg

I'm not good with ovals, but the round may be a bit leaky between the 11:00 to 4:00 positions. Plus it has the two cons you mentioned.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where you live, but I have a VSB and 98% of the time, I NEVER see any blue at all. Even in the brightest sunshine in Sept/October or March/April when the angle of the sun fills up the sky. One percent of the time I can see the faintest hue of blue or lavender (and nothing like the stone in #76 above). The other percent of the time is when I am doing my nails and my hand is near the LED/UV curing light. Then it’s like a super bright neon blue and i absolutely LOVE looking at it. But again, NEVER see it in real life.

So, yah, maybe you don't care if you see the VSB, but if you do, you could to look for a lab with blue nuance? Or an actually blue diamond?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where you live, but I have a VSB and 98% of the time, I NEVER see any blue at all. Even in the brightest sunshine in Sept/October or March/April when the angle of the sun fills up the sky. One percent of the time I can see the faintest hue of blue or lavender (and nothing like the stone in #76 above). The other percent of the time is when I am doing my nails and my hand is near the LED/UV curing light. Then it’s like a super bright neon blue and i absolutely LOVE looking at it. But again, NEVER see it in real life.

So, yah, maybe you don't care if you see the VSB, but if you do, you could to look for a lab with blue nuance? Or an actually blue diamond?

I actually started thinking about a lab with blue nuance for that reason.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Curve ball
7BEA04D1-243A-4516-AC8F-30E5DE87E4A9.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curve ball
7BEA04D1-243A-4516-AC8F-30E5DE87E4A9.jpeg

Sadly OEC/OMCs arent really my thing. Something about the culet being open on a round that bugs me (weird, I know, since I like antique pears).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sadly OEC/OMCs arent really my thing. Something about the culet being open on a round that bugs me (weird, I know, since I like antique pears).

Hey there’s something for everyone!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs I wish I could muster massive enthusiasm for the step-cut oval but to me it just looks kinda mooshy. :/ Like it won't perform well in-hand. I'm not opposed to ordering something & returning if I don't like it, but depending on the vendor, it can be complicated... I did, once, order a brownish emerald cut that looked watery like that against a grey background and, lo and behold, it was quite depressing in person.

Saw that Sako stone & thought of you, glad someone mentioned it upthread AND that it isn't your cup of tea! (I think it is adorbs but the small face-up makes me sad.). I don't know what your budget is for the stone, but when I've been casually looking for you I kept the sliders a fair bit lower than $3500, haha.

I think you should stick with VSBF. Here's mine, in San Diego winter sun, flanked by two inert stones:
1677193251487.png

And that was in the winter! I can still definitely see that it is different from its buddies in February San Francisco sun, too, although the blue isn't as impressive. Your mileage may vary with your lattitude. ;-) And if you hail from non-equatorial regions, your standards for fluoro should go up, IMO...

What about going with a VSBF D/E heart, marquis, or pear and not overthinking it too much? It would look cute and unconventional in that setting upthread! If you're not too impatient, I bet something really nifty with VSBF would come along someday, but patience is HARRRRRRRRD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results