shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a weird diamond

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I love 4 and 5 but I'm obsessed with the transitional type cut look LOL I also like 3 but I dont love it in that setting personally. Personally I like super clean line modern settings for the step cuts. The setting istelf is right up my alley and similar to things I own, I love it, just not with a step. Jewelry is sooo incredibly personal so you can ignore me LOL

For your mockup I think I like the look of the oval shape the most but I dont like the criss cross faceting on that oval above. So out of the ones you posted I like the round best in the setting. I would also like a pear or oval in it, just not that particular oval for me personally!

I LOVE this idea!! Love this setting a lot!

lovedogs_Chrome.jpg

ETA: Ooops! Sorry i grabbed the wrong setting from your post

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked #3 as well but could consider a pear shaped diamond too. I think in that setting that a round wouldn’t immediately scream engagement ring. I love that ring though by the way!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love 4 and 5 but I'm obsessed with the transitional type cut look LOL I also like 3 but I dont love it in that setting personally. Personally I like super clean line modern settings for the step cuts. The setting istelf is right up my alley and similar to things I own, I love it, just not with a step. Jewelry is sooo incredibly personal so you can ignore me LOL

For your mockup I think I like the look of the oval shape the most but I dont like the criss cross faceting on that oval above. So out of the ones you posted I like the round best in the setting. I would also like a pear or oval in it, just not that particular oval for me personally!

I LOVE this idea!! Love this setting a lot!

lovedogs_Chrome.jpg

ETA: Ooops! Sorry i grabbed the wrong setting from your post

Thanks, super helpful! I agree that my favorite is the oval shape.

I found 2 pears I like...thoughts?

20230220_101214.jpg 20230220_101229.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!

@tyty333 @Autumn in New England I probably should have changed the title of the thread since I decided against giving too much info (to avoid lurkers). But since I doubt most folks want this combo....the weird part is that these are all D (one E) with str or v str fluor. I've always wanted an RHR with that combo despite the potential milkiness issue (esp since I can buy, evaluate in person, and return if needed).

@tyty333 @sledge I'm a bit worried that #5 (or any of the rounds) will make it look too much like an e-ring...what do you both think?

No, not offset like that- it should avoid immediate comparison. I still love #3 kite set it has unexpected juxtaposition if keeping the mounting organic, or #5 into the design...but that weird stepped(?) oval would be really interesting in this usage.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
For this design, I like the stepped oval or pears. The more geometric shapes and the rounds aren’t doing it for me (although as a stand-alone stone, I like no.5, but I really don’t think a round suits this design)

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Not the correct prong for the bottom one but you get the idea, LOL
I like the pear a lot ! Im not sure if I like the oval or pear better!
Im leaning toward the pear because of the 'pointed' design element the setting has

000lovedogs0IMG_1521.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im leaning toward the pear because of the 'pointed' design element the setting has

000lovedogs0IMG_1521.jpg

Thanks SO much for mocking this up!!! Can I bother you to mock up the step cut oval? I think at this point its between the step oval and the pear you just did

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I *REALLY* love that oval! I've never seen anything like it, and your style is generally the weird stuff so I think going for the oval would make you happiest. And it's so cool! Plus in this design I think it looks best, so win all around.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *REALLY* love that oval! I've never seen anything like it, and your style is generally the weird stuff so I think going for the oval would make you happiest. And it's so cool! Plus in this design I think it looks best, so win all around.

Lol you definitely know me. My style is always some mix of weird but still with a classic twist so it doesnt just look OUT THERE. That sums me up pretty well

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SO much for mocking this up!!! Can I bother you to mock up the step cut oval? I think at this point its between the step oval and the pear you just did

Not at all! I wasnt sure the size differences between the ones you posted because you didnt include, so if the scale size is off I can absolutely adjust! Also wasnt sure about the prong placement on it or 6 prong, 8 prong , 4 prong, so i can move the prongs or add subtract too! I am not the best some people on here are amazing at the PS images! LOL
000lovedog6 promg.jpg

I could try to change the background after my client leaves because it's hard to see the diamond on this one i think

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
My preference would be for the pear to be pointed the opposite way. #2 for sure of those options.

Another vote for pear pointed the opposite way for this specific setting idea! I also like 5 but not for this setting.

You can also probably wear this ring flipped the other way for versatility. I really like it for a RHR.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for pear pointed the opposite way for this specific setting idea! I also like 5 but not for this setting.

You can also probably wear this ring flipped the other way for versatility. I really like it for a RHR.

So the pear with the "tip" facing towards the band?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I have to rant. I was going to order both the weird oval and asscher from brilliance.com so I could compare. When I talked to customer service, they informed me they dont allow "comparison shopping", so if I order 2 stones I HAVE TO keep one. And if I order one and return it to order the second one, they dont extend the return policy (so I'd be forced to keep the second stone). What the actual F???? I am fine eating shipping costs if I decide to return a diamond, but how is it possible that I'm not allowed to buy a stone, decide to return it for a different one, and then realize neither works?

When I asked what happens if I buy + return and then wait a month and try again, they literally wont tell me. They just keep repeating themselves and then telling me they need to call me to explain.

This is extremely dumb.

Thanks, everyone!

@tyty333 @Autumn in New England I probably should have changed the title of the thread since I decided against giving too much info (to avoid lurkers). But since I doubt most folks want this combo....the weird part is that these are all D (one E) with str or v str fluor. I've always wanted an RHR with that combo despite the potential milkiness issue (esp since I can buy, evaluate in person, and return if needed).

@tyty333 @sledge I'm a bit worried that #5 (or any of the rounds) will make it look too much like an e-ring...what do you both think?

Ahh gotcha!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I have to rant. I was going to order both the weird oval and asscher from brilliance.com so I could compare. When I talked to customer service, they informed me they dont allow "comparison shopping", so if I order 2 stones I HAVE TO keep one. And if I order one and return it to order the second one, they dont extend the return policy (so I'd be forced to keep the second stone). What the actual F???? I am fine eating shipping costs if I decide to return a diamond, but how is it possible that I'm not allowed to buy a stone, decide to return it for a different one, and then realize neither works?

When I asked what happens if I buy + return and then wait a month and try again, they literally wont tell me. They just keep repeating themselves and then telling me they need to call me to explain.

This is extremely dumb.

It is worse than dumb! What a turnoff and a terrible business practice! Go elsewhere even if it is a bit more money; I wouldn’t want to deal with them for any amount of savings.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

This is extremely dumb.

That is beyond annoying and nonsensical!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, it isnt stated anywhere in their return policy that someone cant buy 2 stones and then theoretically return both. So that's frustrating.

They finally answered me and apparently if I order a stone and return it, I would need to wait some unknown amount of time to order a different stone in order for it to count as a new order and not be subject to the above policy. But buyer beware, if you purchase a stone and then EXCHANGE for a 2nd stone they WONT extend the 30 day return policy (which starts the day they ship, not the day you receive). So you'll be forced to keep the 2nd item due to time (they explicitly told me that).

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
That's pretty ridiculous. I think it was Ritani that only allowed.. 2 returns per customer per year? Which I think is pretty reasonable, it must be such a process to get a stone in from these dropsellers and then return them, if they can.

FWIW I've seen some step-cut-moval lab diamonds on etsy. I was also wondering if you'd like a french cut in there, kite set? I saw one of those on ouros etsy today as well. My heart too is after the weird stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's pretty ridiculous. I think it was Ritani that only allowed.. 2 returns per customer per year? Which I think is pretty reasonable, it must be such a process to get a stone in from these dropsellers and then return them, if they can.

FWIW I've seen some step-cut-moval lab diamonds on etsy. I was also wondering if you'd like a french cut in there, kite set? I saw one of those on ouros etsy today as well. My heart too is after the weird stones.

I would love a lab stone, EXCEPT they dont come with v strong fluor. Otherwise I would have one custom cut for me for sure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hmm that ring needs colored diamonds.
I cant say who in the trade who posts on PS is the king of oddball colored diamonds far more than on the site because I worked for him for a short time.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant say who in the trade who posts on PS is the king of oddball colored diamonds far more than on the site because I worked for him for a short time.

Haha I emailed him already! Sadly I'm specifically looking for D color and v strong fluor, so it's a bit of a tough thing to find

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit:
1676909138220.png
From Schubach would be a contender for me, but I'm not sure about their custom cutting process or if they require you to design in house with them for the setting.

I'm not much of a pear fan, but I really like the chunky facets in this one. Looks like it gets a little more that crushed ice look towards the tip, but maybe you could find one without that.

000lovedogs0IMG_1521.jpg

Just my 2 cents, if you keep that hard V shape where it bends down as-is then I think the point on the pear makes sense. This looks really good IMO, like it was meant to work. Nice mockup!

Would look really nice w/ that chunky facet pear.

Agree 10x. Will not only add some interest, but helps signify it further as a RHR.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, it isnt stated anywhere in their return policy that someone cant buy 2 stones and then theoretically return both. So that's frustrating.

They finally answered me and apparently if I order a stone and return it, I would need to wait some unknown amount of time to order a different stone in order for it to count as a new order and not be subject to the above policy. But buyer beware, if you purchase a stone and then EXCHANGE for a 2nd stone they WONT extend the 30 day return policy (which starts the day they ship, not the day you receive). So you'll be forced to keep the 2nd item due to time (they explicitly told me that).

Why do companies go stupid like that? Reminds me of JA's asinine move to make customers request lab reports. Just dumb.

There's a reason car dealers like you to take the vehicle overnight to "test drive" it and live with it temporarily. It has nothing to do with your warm fuzzies. It has everything to do with when people have product in hand, they have a hard time returning or walking away from a sale.

So what about just circumventing their BS system? Can you and your husband both place orders? Policy should extend PER CUSTOMER. If you get really testy, you could have local friends and/or family help as well.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol @sledge good idea. Such a dumb policy overall. Ugh.

PS is being weird on my phone and pasted a draft message from here onto another thread. But what I was writing here was that I'm trying to avoid a round (because overall I think a heart/oval/pear suits the style of the ring best), but saw this and might have to buy it. I haven't seen such a perfectly cut stone that wasnt a super ideal in a while.

Attachments

• 20230220_220214.jpg
    20230220_220214.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 32

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the pear best in that setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results