shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a weird diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to find an odd stone for a RHR project.

Trying to avoid lurkers so I'm posting screenshots of most options.

1. 20230219_164911.jpg

2. 20230219_164858.jpg

3. 20230219_164812.jpg

4. 20230219_164824.jpg

5. Screenshot_20230219-165735_Chrome.jpg

6. 20230219_164848.jpg

And because I know that radiants can never be chosen by a still pic, I'm linking these last 3 options. I've never liked radiants, but for some reason I keep coming back to these.

7. https://www.ritani.com/products/0-7...r-vs1-clarity-gia-7436476663-sku-d-13ck41ju9j

8. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD21514710

9. https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD21384534

Edited to add the additional options here.

10. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/0.50-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-14029367

11. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/0.50-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-14880396

12. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/0.70-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-15778285

13. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/heart-shaped/0.80-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-16674318

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Kyton ! No problem if you arent an expert, I appreciate the help!

@Rons Wolfe it's not a real AVR, but definitely looks similar!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing LOL but I like No.1.

Same. And same.

I love a nice Asscher -- even if it's not the most bang for your diamond dollar. It's "odd" how? The table facet looks "stretched" N/S whereas the crown outline looks symmetrical. So it's very asymmetric? If that's it, that's a pretty big deal for me -- I though the crisp symmetry and geometry were the attraction for this cut.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same. And same.

I love a nice Asscher -- even if it's not the most bang for your diamond dollar. It's "odd" how? The table facet looks "stretched" N/S whereas the crown outline looks symmetrical. So it's very asymmetric? If that's it, that's a pretty big deal for me -- I though the crisp symmetry and geometry were the attraction for this cut.

Odd in that I'm choosing all kinds of shapes I guess Haha. But the asscher isnt one of the odd ones :)

dvj

Shiny_Rock
This is so fun. Hard to pick just one! I think I would probably go, in order, 5., 2., or 3. I also like the asscher! Sorry this is not a helpful opinion if I simply list everything you have already written!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
#3 if it's set kite corner!
Or #5, yes, that too.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case it helps folks visualize, I plan to create an RHR inspired by 2 different kataoka designs.

V shape where the center stone is at the "point" of the V, like this:
Screenshot_20230219-222523_Chrome.jpg

Except no "branch" coming from the top, and 4-5 "station" clusters similar to this design:
Screenshot_20230219-222508_Chrome.jpg

So it's like a fusion of the 2 above rings, but all of kataoka's designs are very dainty, so my version will have larger stones to look proportional on my size 7 finger.

I feel like the only semi-oddity here is that elongated step-cut oval (which is pretty cool). But I'm an asscher and square radiant fan, so I'd definitely go with one of them! :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#5 gets me revved up!

Not sure if you recall, but several years back @Garry H (Cut Nut) posted up some master set stones by Octonus. I think I fell in love with MSS16 the moment I saw it. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

57.2 table, 61.9 depth, 37.3 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 62 LGF's

1581972609795-png.736714

Upper Left - MSS13 Ca 34, Pa 41, Tb 57,
Lower Left - MSS16 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.6, Tb 57,
Upper Right - MSS17 Ca 39, Pa 40, Tb 61,
Lower Right - MSS18 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.4, Tb 57

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the only really weird one to me is the oval...but its a little too weird. Like I don't think I would enjoy looking at it as much as I would
other stones. #3 would be my choice because it is squarish (instead of round) but still lovely to look at! I'm not sure if it would fit
in with your chosen design though. That design looks like it needs a stone with curves (round, heart, oval)...

Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone!

@tyty333 @Autumn in New England I probably should have changed the title of the thread since I decided against giving too much info (to avoid lurkers). But since I doubt most folks want this combo....the weird part is that these are all D (one E) with str or v str fluor. I've always wanted an RHR with that combo despite the potential milkiness issue (esp since I can buy, evaluate in person, and return if needed).

@tyty333 @sledge I'm a bit worried that #5 (or any of the rounds) will make it look too much like an e-ring...what do you both think?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Seconding @tyty333 . A heart or a pear would look lovely with the design, which goes against which stones and shapes are my favorite of the bunch.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seconding @tyty333 . A heart or a pear would look lovely with the design, which goes against which stones and shapes are my favorite of the bunch.

What do you think of the heart options? Not great?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone!

@tyty333 @Autumn in New England I probably should have changed the title of the thread since I decided against giving too much info (to avoid lurkers). But since I doubt most folks want this combo....the weird part is that these are all D (one E) with str or v str fluor. I've always wanted an RHR with that combo despite the potential milkiness issue (esp since I can buy, evaluate in person, and return if needed).

@tyty333 @sledge I'm a bit worried that #5 (or any of the rounds) will make it look too much like an e-ring...what do you both think?

Oh, this is a combo I love too! I have always wanted such a ring! If I hadn't just spent all my jewelry money for the foreseeable future on other things, I would be asking you for the links to the ones you decide not to buy. Especially numbers 3 and 5.

How big are these diamonds? I don't think this design will look very e-ringy, especially on your right hand. But it's a risk with any diamond ring.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of the heart options? Not great?
Sorry, I think I saw the options before you edited.
I think the second one is my favorite of the bunch, but hearts aren't my favorite shape. I'd probably try and find a rosecut heart or pear (antique cut) if I were considering this design.

Edit:
1676909138220.png
From Schubach would be a contender for me, but I'm not sure about their custom cutting process or if they require you to design in house with them for the setting.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not look like an engagement ring so much to me due to the organic shape of the setting and where the main stone is located.
Plus if you don't wear it on your ering finger...there's that. Oh, and if you stay on the smaller side stone-wise that should help it look
less like an ering.

Of course, opinions vary so YMMV!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think #5 works without looking like an e-ring because of the V shape and clusters you are adding. I love the chunky facets and think it will add to the character of your design.

Who’s doing your setting? Have you got a CAD or sketch together yet that we could superimpose some stones onto?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is a combo I love too! I have always wanted such a ring! If I hadn't just spent all my jewelry money for the foreseeable future on other things, I would be asking you for the links to the ones you decide not to buy. Especially numbers 3 and 5.

How big are these diamonds? I don't think this design will look very e-ringy, especially on your right hand. But it's a risk with any diamond ring.

They arent big---between .3 (the tiniest one) to .7 (the crazy step cut oval). Most are .5 or .6, which hopefully makes it look less engagement like.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think #5 works without looking like an e-ring because of the V shape and clusters you are adding. I love the chunky facets and think it will add to the character of your design.

Who’s doing your setting? Have you got a CAD or sketch together yet that we could superimpose some stones onto?

Haven't decided about setting. Thinking of asking DK since I know what I want and can create a pic of everything w photoshop. I'll do that later this morning to help visualize--good idea!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
They arent big---between .3 (the tiniest one) to .7 (the crazy step cut oval). Most are .5 or .6, which hopefully makes it look less engagement like.

Yes, definitely. And in that case I might just ask you for the links to your leftovers, because I have a setting that needs a round that size. (My preferred specs are: E or F, I1, VSB, the stronger the fluorescence the better, with a nice clear crystal under the table, no feathers. Though I do love a wide range of colors.)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ps. These arent super expensive stones (I'm trying to keep the budget for the stone under 2.5k since it's an RHR, the center stone is small, and the setting has diamonds so wont be cheap). Most are under 2k if you want me to send links at some point!

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
#5 gets me revved up!

Not sure if you recall, but several years back @Garry H (Cut Nut) posted up some master set stones by Octonus. I think I fell in love with MSS16 the moment I saw it. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

57.2 table, 61.9 depth, 37.3 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 62 LGF's

1581972609795-png.736714

Upper Left - MSS13 Ca 34, Pa 41, Tb 57,
Lower Left - MSS16 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.6, Tb 57,
Upper Right - MSS17 Ca 39, Pa 40, Tb 61,
Lower Right - MSS18 Ca 37.5, Pa 40.4, Tb 57

Wow, that is a beautiful stone. Is that cut available today somewhere?

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
I think the second one is my favorite of the bunch, but hearts aren't my favorite shape. I'd probably try and find a rosecut heart or pear (antique cut) if I were considering this design.

Edit:
1676909138220.png
From Schubach would be a contender for me, but I'm not sure about their custom cutting process or if they require you to design in house with them for the setting.

I love that pear!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit:
1676909138220.png

oooo that pear is lovely!

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Loving that step cut moval, it seems like the most unique of the bunch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results