shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose a weird diamond

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@evergreen @oncrutchesrightnow do either of you have LT listings where I could send you some links to contenders? I think these new ones need to be seen moving vs just a still image.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
@evergreen @oncrutchesrightnow do either of you have LT listings where I could send you some links to contenders? I think these new ones need to be seen moving vs just a still image.

Sorry, do not. Honest advice is to pick the cut you like best, especially if there is a good return policy. Reason being that you won’t be able to judge the look of the facets or the effect of SBF until you see it in person.

Also agree that if you really want a glow-y blue diamond, you might get more of an effect with LGD blue nuance. If you want milky white you could trawl the I-1’s on James Allen or fancy whites on Leibish or opalescent diamonds on Etsy (who knows what alchemy goes into making those things… but they are pretty).

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could order weird diamonds for viewing like we can order Uber Eats on our phones?

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to find an odd stone for a RHR project.

What is an RHR project?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, do not. Honest advice is to pick the cut you like best, especially if there is a good return policy. Reason being that you won’t be able to judge the look of the facets or the effect of SBF until you see it in person.

Also agree that if you really want a glow-y blue diamond, you might get more of an effect with LGD blue nuance. If you want milky white you could trawl the I-1’s on James Allen or fancy whites on Leibish or opalescent diamonds on Etsy (who knows what alchemy goes into making those things… but they are pretty).

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could order weird diamonds for viewing like we can order Uber Eats on our phones?

Uber eats for weird diamonds is officially the best idea ever

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been away for a while but I come back and find you and I a took have very similar taste!! I am also on the lookout for a chunky-arrow diamond :) i love the round you posted with the great symmetry and HUGE arrows!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
So I think I'm currently down to 2 choices.

1. This weirdo. Pros: THE FATTEST ARROWS. Cons: Strong fluor instead of v strong and about $200 over my self-imposed budget. @flyingpig you found a similar stone to this one at one point--what do you think?

Screenshot_20230221-174700_Chrome.jpg

2. The weird oval. Pros: The wierdness. Cons: there aren't many cons to this one in my mind except for it being potentially too weird and me having to return it.

20230219_164858.jpg

Choose the round!! I’m a bad influence on your budget!!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if you bought your strong blue fluor, but also a blue nuance lab diamond and compared them at the same time, which you would like in person? Because I am in the exact same boat, but definitely sure I want the blue nuance. Why oh why are they so hard to find now though?!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you bought your strong blue fluor, but also a blue nuance lab diamond and compared them at the same time, which you would like in person? Because I am in the exact same boat, but definitely sure I want the blue nuance. Why oh why are they so hard to find now though?!

Right?!?! I'd like to find one with blue nuance to compare, but cant even find any now

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Also - unless you can find something farther down the alphabet, blue nuance won't scratch the itch, IMO. Here are comparison shots - G MRB with blue nuance vs I with VSBF.

PXL_20230225_000818828.jpg
Shaded, outdoors

PXL_20230225_000824876.jpg
Direct sun.

PXL_20230225_000902095.jpg
By a window.

I have never actually been able to see the blue nuance affect anything.

ETA: Here's the JA link for the G with blue nuance: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-9836548

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also - unless you can find something farther down the alphabet, blue nuance won't scratch the itch, IMO. Here are comparison shots - G MRB with blue nuance vs I with VSBF.

PXL_20230225_000818828.jpg
Shaded, outdoors

PXL_20230225_000824876.jpg
Direct sun.

PXL_20230225_000902095.jpg
By a window.

I have never actually been able to see the blue nuance affect anything.

ETA: Here's the JA link for the G with blue nuance: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...rat-g-color-si2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-9836548

Omgggg your VSBF is the stuff of dreams. I wonder if I should go down to F or even G color? I always thought that the effects of VSBF would be the most striking in higher colors

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Omgggg your VSBF is the stuff of dreams. I wonder if I should go down to F or even G color? I always thought that the effects of VSBF would be the most striking in higher colors

You'll see the VSBF no matter what color the body is! The amount of tint in an I, J, K vs a D is so trivial compared to the body tone that VSBF yields (IMHO ). Definitely liberalize the alphabet parameters. I've seen the philosophy that "overblue" is more of a risk in high colors, and I kinda think overblue would be desirable here, but I'm also not SUPER sure it really exists unless you're opposed to light behaving strangely in your diamond.... Which, when you're looking for VSBF, that's... Probably not you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll see the VSBF no matter what color the body is! The amount of tint in an I, J, K vs a D is so trivial compared to the body tone that VSBF yields (IMHO ). Definitely liberalize the alphabet parameters. I've seen the philosophy that "overblue" is more of a risk in high colors, and I kinda think overblue would be desirable here, but I'm also not SUPER sure it really exists unless you're opposed to light behaving strangely in your diamond.... Which, when you're looking for VSBF, that's... Probably not you.

Haha I think overblue is exactly what i want

entaro

Rough_Rock
mine also J with SB, super cool when it turns icy, sorry for the video, was adjusting something lol

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love step cut oval. Lots of cool stuff at Dayagi Diamonds if you want something different

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love step cut oval. Lots of cool stuff at Dayagi Diamonds if you want something different

I've been talking to them! Sadly their website doesn't show which stones have fluor or prices, so I keep having to ask, which is annoying. But they have sooooo many shapes! I had no idea diamonds could be dog, cloud, cat, or icecream shaped haha

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been talking to them! Sadly their website doesn't show which stones have fluor or prices, so I keep having to ask, which is annoying. But they have sooooo many shapes! I had no idea diamonds could be dog, cloud, cat, or icecream shaped haha

Send them an email and tell them you specifically want fluor and ask them for a list, it shouldn't be that hard to pull such a list.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock

ICE CREAM! *runs*

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I went and looked at them. Clicked on marquise step cut and this was a few down:

DBPJG-000001.JPG

I was going to mention it but then was too embarrassed lol

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to mention it but then was too embarrassed lol

I was surprised there were more out there than the one David has!

And I reported myself, because I'm not sure that picture should be in a thread, rather than a link.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!! A D/IF/VSF!! Very well done!! I hope you love it!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats - happy for you!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results