shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laughing here - yes, you got it, @ILikeShiny !

I was keeping the door open on the 3 stone till I'd seen the sides; there were remarkably few with the specs I wanted on BN, and I was winging it re guessing the size I wanted But they didn't look right, so I sent them back. Rather than go continually back and forth, trying to get it right, I've decided to go with plan B, which was to trade my stone with WF and get the 3.4ct H VS1 with no fluoro - which is almost exactly the same size as my current stone anyway. Ultimately, in years ahead, I'd like to get over 4.5ct, so having the 3.4ct diamond from WF will put me on the right path, should I want to trade up. This, however, cleans out my budget, more or less. So, in the meantime, to make up for the extra size I won't now get from side stones, I'm going to do a cluster, and this time next year I'll keep an eye on WF's inventory and look for my next trade up.

After all of this, I'll only have the earrings reset to go with BGD, but that will have to be next year at this point.

Phew!
ETA All my stones are set at that point, and I have no more projects to do that really need to be done. So to all intents and purposes - I'm finished when these setting pieces come back! I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be on PS after that - I suspect not nearly as much....until it's EARRINGS TIME!

:mrgreen:
Wow!!! This is an hourly read - ha! Glad that you have finally nailed everything down. Sounds beautiful and I can't wait to see it all. Did Victor recommend the size of pears to you? Just curious if it was his recommendation or what you wanted. You will be blingier than the tree come Christmas!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAAAAAASSSSSS!!!! Eeeekk!! I'm so excited!

I have no freakin' clue how I'm gonna set this. If I do 3 stone, I'll have 2 whiter OECs... but I'm in setting hell. LOL

You won't be for long - you'll come up with something you love sooner rather than later! Good luck - can't wait to see what you decide too!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! This is an hourly read - ha! Glad that you have finally nailed everything down. Sounds beautiful and I can't wait to see it all. Did Victor recommend the size of pears to you? Just curious if it was his recommendation or what you wanted. You will be blingier than the tree come Christmas!!

@MissGotRocks - lol - I know, right?! I started with so many options, but they've been whittling away rapidly. I really do want to leave the door open to trading up in size, and BN's policy - of having to spend double each time you upgrade - is preventative. So I'm very happy with where I've landed. I'm also glad to be out of the land of I color and fluorescence. I think this huge cluster will look AWESOME! And I like big rings with finger coverage, so this works for me.

I chose the stones, but it was the size Victor would have chosen regardless. Each of the pears is roughly 1/7th the weight of the center stone, and I think that will look best. If anything, I probably would have gone smaller; I think larger pears with a round is a different look - more of a band - and this isn't what I wanted. So I'm pleased with this ratio.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, mrsb!!!! Good for you for experimenting with your side stones and realizing they weren't right! I am very excited about the possible WF trade...I am hopeful they will do the trade but I am not sure how that will play out when the new stone costs less than the one you originally had chosen. I know the stone you are talking about and I think it's gorgeous! But on another note, it amazes me that they really sell those larger stones pretty quickly, but probably because no one else really stocks large stones like they do!

I will be checking back to see what they say!

15 pointers are going to add like 6.8mm in diameter. Are you sure about that? 5 pointers is a large cluster halo at about 2.4mm each or 4.8mm total added.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo @diamondseeker2006 :wavey:

No no - it's already a done deal! They gave me a quote for my 3.61 - which isn't dependent on what you're purchasing - then the upgrade policy was that I had to spend at least 50% again. I made that with about $1500 to spare. :) I've already sent off my stone to them and I'm wiring them the money first thing in the am.

A 3.4 with 15 point cluster stones will look very much to scale on my hand. I'll attach a photo of a 16mm diameter ring on my hand - looks good to my eye. This ring now has a sapphire in it, and my new ring will have a larger center and smaller surrounding stones, but I'm anticipating just over 15mm - so, smaller than the one in these photos. Pls tell me if you think it looks unsightly.

ETA Looking at it again, I actually think this ring is the perfect size on my finger/hand.

IMG_2363.JPG SK ring_1_a.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, YAY!!!! I didn't realize that you already knew you met the conditions for the trade-in! That is awesome!:appl:

Well, I do like large halos particularly on a colored stone. I do think with the size diamond you are getting it might work with the 15 pointers and you can probably pull it off now that I see the other rings. There's a ring that I really love and it may have been posted before on some thread regarding halos or cluster rings and I love it's proportions (center is 2.9 cts). But I have zero idea of how large the halo stones are other than they are larger than the micropave halos we see here a lot. But I can see why you'd want to use stones you already have, too.

LM2.9oeccluster1.jpg LM2.9oeccluster2.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 -

My current cluster ring - and the one I'm getting done next - will give my finger the same sort of finger coverage that m-2-b gets from her halo'd round! Or - the same sort of coverage Phoenix gets from her solitaire!! This is the cost of large fingers. (and I literally mean 'cost'!)

Yes, I've had that leon ring book-marked for a long time, and I thought for some time of sending my stone to him to replicate this setting. I believe the surrounding stones are just under 6 pts; as I understand it, there's 14 stones, totaling .80ctw. Mine will be considerably bigger - but my center stone is somewhat larger, and I'm sure my finger will be larger than whoever commissioned this beauty. Interestingly, I calculate that it will take around 12 of my 15 pointers to surround my stone - so the look may not be toooo different.

We'll see! (I'm very encouraged that you like the Leon ring tho - I don't want my ring to be garish!)

ETA The beauty of it taking 12 stones is that I will put a prong between every second one to hold the center stone. So that would work out well.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b The proportions of that Leon ring are quite lovely. I think you'd be really happy with something like that made with your 3.4 H. The finger coverage will be awesome. I love the idea of a three stone with a pear. I think it will look something like this, right, but your sides are a little larger.

VC three stone with pears.png
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-round-and-pear-three-stone-ring.200124/

I love this round and pear trilogy. It's so gorgeous! I also love four prongs, be it single or double. CANNOT WAIT!!!

Almost forgot to answer you. Victor has completed all my pieces between 3-4 weeks. Then it would take 3-5 days to coordinate and ship. I picked up my latest reset after about 5 weeks because I was out of town.

And you like your U-V OEC? How exciting! Welcome to the dark side...:Up_to_something:

I can't wait to see all of your amazing pieces. This is the fun-EST thread! Yay!!!!! projects galore!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks - lol - I know, right?! I started with so many options, but they've been whittling away rapidly. I really do want to leave the door open to trading up in size, and BN's policy - of having to spend double each time you upgrade - is preventative. So I'm very happy with where I've landed. I'm also glad to be out of the land of I color and fluorescence. I think this huge cluster will look AWESOME! And I like big rings with finger coverage, so this works for me.

I chose the stones, but it was the size Victor would have chosen regardless. Each of the pears is roughly 1/7th the weight of the center stone, and I think that will look best. If anything, I probably would have gone smaller; I think larger pears with a round is a different look - more of a band - and this isn't what I wanted. So I'm pleased with this ratio.

I see reading further down in diamondseeker's post that you've already sent your diamond off to WF! :appl:I can't wait to hear your thoughts on everything and hope the rings don't take too terribly long to be made. Victor may be at work right this very moment on your new three stone since all of those pieces are with him with no down time - ha! The three stone will be beautiful and the large cluster ring will give you plenty of finger coverage. So glad that your decisions are made - hope you can sleep better now! Anticipation of something new is almost as thrilling as getting something new!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interestingly, I calculate that it will take around 12 of my 15 pointers to surround my stone

This is a mythical ratio in my book ,-)

Certainly looking forward to seeing this ring !

-

[got it why the pears went to the perfect three-stone instead]

Last edited:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All of this sounds fabulous, mrs-b!! I am so enjoying all of the updates and will be following your journey with great interest! I can hardly wait to see your new WF stone and also your three-stone with Victor!! I know that both of them will be incredibly beautiful!! :love::love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b The proportions of that Leon ring are quite lovely. I think you'd be really happy with something like that made with your 3.4 H. The finger coverage will be awesome. I love the idea of a three stone with a pear. I think it will look something like this, right, but your sides are a little larger.

I love this round and pear trilogy. It's so gorgeous! I also love four prongs, be it single or double. CANNOT WAIT!!!

Almost forgot to answer you. Victor has completed all my pieces between 3-4 weeks. Then it would take 3-5 days to coordinate and ship. I picked up my latest reset after about 5 weeks because I was out of town.

And you like your U-V OEC? How exciting! Welcome to the dark side...:Up_to_something:

I can't wait to see all of your amazing pieces. This is the fun-EST thread! Yay!!!!! projects galore!!!

@LLJsmom -

I love that VC trilogy, too! I have no VC rings at this point, so it will be a privilege to own one. Thank you for the info re Victor's timing - I had mentally allowed 8 weeks, so this is EXCELLENT news!

I'm also so pleased you think the 3.4 set into a cluster should look ok. I have large fingers, and things that look enormous on others seem to cut down to size once on my hand. And I like a big ring - I mean, if you can't see it, what's the point, right?

One thing I should point out tho - the U-V OEC belongs to @msop04 - not to me. There's so much stuff in this thread at this point - it's easy to get lost in the details!!

My current projects are:

1. Cluster pendant remake to finish off my 'flower' collection - 1.11 GOG Ascendancy diamond with 8 x 20 pointers
2. Round with pears trilogy - 2.2ct G VS2 with 2 c .31 G IF pears - in platinum
3. .95ct F VS2 BN Signature round in platinum DKJ setting to wear as an every day ring.
4. 3.61ct I VS2 with fluoro diamond trade-in with WF, trading to 3.4ct H VS1 no flouro. This will go to DKJ to be set as another cluster ring with 15pt stones in the cluster. Plat. head, yellow gold shank.
5. Quote from BGD to reset pearl and diamond earrings

I also have a beautiful .63 E VS2 stone, and I'm thinking that, at some point, I'll buy another .63 and another .95 and make double-stone studs (using the stone I'm currently having set into the small solitaire setting). This won't be for a couple of years tho, so I'm setting the .95 stone to wear in the meantime. I love double diamond studs and have always wanted a pair, so I suspect this is somewhere in my future. At that point there is absolutely nothing left to buy!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @carbonfan ! This year was always going to be the year of re-sets, and I'm thrilled with the progress I'm making - it's far more than I thought I'd manage. I want to wear my diamonds; they've been in boxes or languishing in boring settings for far too long. So this is very exciting. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 -

I saw these and thought of you. They'd make perfetc side stones for your new U/V!

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/dot-88-total-ctw-natural-round-yellow-diamonds

Awww! Thanks so much for thinking of me! Those are very pretty and a GREAT price... but I'm going to go with white OECs for the sides IF I do a three stone. It'll take me forever to decide, I'm afraid. I've been scouring Google images for ideas... :(

ETA: I'm trying to figure out how to accentuate the light brown color. The ring will be all WG with YG around the center only (bezel or prongs). I've only got so much real estate to work with, as my finger is a 4.75. My cushion three stone was 7.5 x 7.0 with 3.5 mm sides, bezeled. I've thought about doing another bezeled three stone (possibly with a cup under the center), but would like larger sides. Soooo, that would mean 4 mm sides would be the largest my finger could handle with the 7.7 mm OEC. Not a bad problem to have, but I'm sure you of all people understand the frustration!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...didn't mean to hijack your thread, @mrs-b!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought I'd add a few family ring shots so you can see where I'll be rounding out. I have no solitaire as such - the VC new ring with the pears will be about as close as I get. The 3.4ct from WF will be a definite cluster - tho it will be an eye-catching center stone. I'll eventually upgrade it, I think, and it may end up as a solitaire at that point.

The photos are all more or less the same, but the lighting is slightly different in each, and I couldn't make up my mind which was the best one to add, so..... 20170916_163258_resized.jpg 20170916_163127_resized.jpg 20170916_163149_resized.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... eyes drawn inescapably to the deep gold, like an addict to the Fix !

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Goodness, I have so many turns of events to catch up on!! I think I'm finally in the present again :D

If you're reasonably confident you'll upgrade with WF next year are you 100% on having a cluster made now? Would you wear this setting with an alternate stone once you upgrade?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @yssie :wavey:

Yes - there's been a lot to consider, and it's been a moving target with the loss of our annual bonus, and the flow on effects from that. Some things just didn't work out - like the side stones for the 3.61ct idea - and when the center stone on the VC ring went from a 2ct F to a 2.2ct G, using the G pears I already have - currently sitting unused in my jewelry box - just seemed logical. I really want to set as much as I can this year, so I'm happy to put the 3.4ct diamond into a cluster made from diamonds I already have (also currently unused) and, as you suggested, throw a colored stone into it when the diamond comes out.

I'm 2 years and 9 months off from my 60th birthday, so at the very least, I'll be upgrading significantly for that birthday. I've also already reached out to someone about a nice colored stone I could put in the empty setting. My current solitaire setting is almost exactly the same size as the center of the cluster will be, so I'll put the colored stone in that for now, then move it to the cluster when it's empty.

The soonest I'll be upgrading is 18 months - if indeed I do it at all before my 60th, so it's still long enough for me to be able to enjoy the stone set into a more substantial setting that I like. I definitely want to get between 4.5 and 5 for my largest diamond, so it might take some time. When I finally hit that point, I'll probably go back to a plain solitaire.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you've really considered everything there is to worry about! ::) I can't wait to see your pieces!!! Larger halos are some of my absolute favourite styles and yours will be a statement piece... And your threestone will be spectacular... And best of all it sounds like you've found the perfect balance between the wishlist and timing - congrats!!! :love: 8-)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.4ct H VS2 ACA - delivered! An extraordinary diamond. Just utterly beautiful.

It's going to take 12 x 15 pointers to set it as a cluster, so I need 4 more than I currently have.

I've already started planning my next upgrade.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pix please!

3.4ct H VS2 ACA - delivered! An extraordinary diamond. Just utterly beautiful.

It's going to take 12 x 15 pointers to set it as a cluster, so I need 4 more than I currently have.

I've already started planning my next upgrade.... :rolleyes:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't tease us! We need photos!!! :appl::appl::appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:naughty: No pictures, no likey!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so these are taken at night. I'll take some tomorrow when the sun is up!

I particularly love the last photo of my empty ring and how clearly you can see the tiny diamond in the donut!

20170920_224247_resized.jpg 20170920_224358_resized.jpg 20170920_224910_resized.jpg 20170920_224916_resized.jpg

:)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tease!!!!!! :P2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results