shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

rubberducky

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @ILikeShiny -

Also, I used to live in NY and I would never wear my rings on the subway - that's just begging for it.

How dangerous would this be? I take the subway all the time and have sort of assumed that it's safe, but I don't usually wear jewelry. However, I think an engagement ring is imminent (yay!) and I definitely want to keep it safe!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK diamond floral_a.jpg
To throw one more spanner in the works, I have also long loved the setting I've attached and I think both stones would look awesome like this. I would do it without a bezeled inner diamond - that would be prong set - but the halo would be as is. I can't help but think that the new stone would look awesome in this sort of setting....
That is a drool-worthy setting indeed! Totally up my alley and I can just imagine how spectacular it would be with the new diamond.

What would it bring the mm coverage of your finger to?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How dangerous would this be? I take the subway all the time and have sort of assumed that it's safe, but I don't usually wear jewelry. However, I think an engagement ring is imminent (yay!) and I definitely want to keep it safe!

Hi @rubberducky -

I normally travel the subway with my diamonds turned into the palm of my hand. I don't think jewelry on the subway is a problem, unless it stands out for size and/or monetary value.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a drool-worthy setting indeed! Totally up my alley and I can just imagine how spectacular it would be with the new diamond.

What would it bring the mm coverage of your finger to?

Hi ILS :)

I think it would pump the spread to roughly 12mm - maybe 13. I wouldn't want anything smaller than that. I've also thought about this setting for my larger diamond. o_O

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ILS :)

I think it would pump the spread to roughly 12mm - maybe 13. I wouldn't want anything smaller than that. I've also thought about this setting for my larger diamond. o_O
Either one would look amazing, I'm sure. I am truly lusting after that setting :geek2:

Have you ever cut mm sizes out of paper and put them on your hand to asses how they'd look? You can draw them to scale on the computer and then print them. That might be helpful as you ponder your options.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only qualm about doing the round halo setting on the two ct stone is that then you'll basically have two rings that look at lot alike, although the 2 ct with the halo would probably be a little larger in diameter than your 3.6 ct solitaire. I hear your concerns about the 3 stone not being large enough, but I do think that's a very different look compared to the solitaire. Tough decision!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about starting a thread called 'Biting the Bullet' - but decided just to post here instead.

Unfortunately, DH and I have cancelled my diamond project. DH works in the insurance industry with a large, well known company, and the recent hurricanes are expected to wipe out 100% of the year's profit. This will mean the loss of 100% of staff bonuses. For us, that represents 35% of DH's annual income. Harvey, we could manage. But Harvey and Irma - no. DH walked into the house this evening after work, looked at me, and said "It's gone."

But here's the thing. For us, that means a big diamond ring, some house renovations, and an exotic trip. It won't take food off our table or remove the roof over our head. We're supremely lucky and we know it. We'll simply do it again next year - bigger and better. (The bigger part is likely, too, as I had originally wanted something in the 4.5ct range.) We're not affected in any meaningful way.

DH said we could still go ahead if I wanted, and that the call was up to me; we had the option of just pulling it out of savings. But WHILE WE WERE HAVING THE CONVERSATION (and how odd is this?!) - friends of ours called and said "We're having financial difficulties - can you help us?" That was the tipping point. We told them yes - and told the diamond no.

So - buh bye, big diamond. See you next year.

Thank you to everyone who helped me make decisions; I've worked out what route I want to take and had a bunch of fun taking this journey with you. Hopefully you'll stick around to see how this all plays out. <3

Don't you just hate being responsible? Irresponsible is more fun...

Sorry your project is on hold, but you did the right thing.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's every possibility I should be starting a new thread for this - but - what the hey, right? :)

So - DECISIONS MADE.

For the last week or two, I've done nothing except eat, sleep and breathe diamonds. But today I pulled some triggers. I switched out the F VS1 2ct round from Victor for a G VS2 2.2ct round. It was cheaper, larger, and a better fit with the side stones I want to use (2 x .31ct G IF pears, perfectly matched). Victor is going to make me a Trilogy with pear sides on a single wire shank, 4 prongs. I like to have rings for all metal colors as I like to coordinate, and this will be my platinum ring.

I have a GORGEOUS .95ct F VS2 small round, which I have sent off to DKJ to be set in the same style of ring as my larger solitaire - but in all platinum. This will be a nice, casual, every day ring.

I have bought 2 x 1.41 rb's from BN, which will be set either side of my 3.61ct stone. This will be a BIG 3 stone ring (just over 6.4ctw) and will give me the finger coverage I'm looking for. I'll have a plat head rhodium plated, with a yellow gold band. These stones are I color and all VS2 clarity. If I ever decide to upgrade my 3.61ct stone, I'll use the 2 x 1.41's as earrings.

I have a request for a quote in with BGD to re-set a pair of pearl and diamond drops.

DKJ is currently doing my upgraded cluster pendant to go with my 'flower' set.

That leaves me with 9 x 15pt stones, which I want to have set as an anniversary ring to wear with my new 3 stone.

And that's it! I think that will set everything that was unset up till this point! NO MORE UNSET DIAMONDS! And all of them beautiful diamonds in high quality settings. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Thank you all SO much for all your help! It's been invaluable! :wavey: Stand by for family shots in a couple of months!

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your plans sound great mrs-b! All your projects sound fabulous. The 3 stone is going to be amazing. I can't wait to see the finished pieces! :dance:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b, everything sounds wonderful! Great decisions! I'm so happy for you! :appl:

Jewellery can certainly lead us to the outer edge of sanity, but you put a lot of thought into your decisions, considered great options, and came up with terrific decisions! Love it! I think that's the way to approach major decisions.

And, yes, tons of photos please as your new items are completed! :dance:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! From no 3-stones to two of them :clap:. And it sounds like they'll have some other gorgeous company as well.

Can't wait to see your newly-expanded family!!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @junebug17 @december-fire and @ILikeShiny -

I'm not sure how long the process takes with Victor (does anyone have any idea?) but I'm SO looking forward to having one of his pieces! This ring is a lock - but I'm still waiting to see the BN 1.41 stones to be sure they're the size I want. So that ring is still under consideration at the moment. If the 1.41's look perfect, then we're off to the races. But - BN's upgrade policy being what it is - I want to make sure they're exactly what I want before committing irrevocably.

It's worth noting, for anyone considering BN, if you upgrade with them, you cannot get your original stone back if you change your mind. Nor can you get your money back. If you upgrade, and decide you dislike the stone, you have to spend that amount of money or greater on one of their other stones. If you can't find anything else that you like, I don't know what the deal is then - maybe they just sit on your money till a stone comes into stock? I'm not sure. Either way, it's a very inflexible policy.

And just to pass the time of day - here's the link to my new diamond. I don't regret letting the 2ct F VS! go at all - this stone will work much better for me.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104095645001-2.202-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh excellent decisions @mrs-b!!!! :dance: I feel as though these are my projects - that's how excited I am for you!!! I think you'll be very happy with finger coverage and the versatility of having such different options to go with all of your metal sets. I'm happy you get to continue enjoying your gorgeous 3.61 for now and you will always have the options to go bigger later! :twisted2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw your updated VC stone....WOWZERS!!!!!!!! There's something about it that really captivates me!! :love::love::love::love::love:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh excellent decisions @mrs-b!!!! :dance: I feel as though these are my projects - that's how excited I am for you!!! I think you'll be very happy with finger coverage and the versatility of having such different options to go with all of your metal sets. I'm happy you get to continue enjoying your gorgeous 3.61 for now and you will always have the options to go bigger later! :twisted2:

Thanks, @ac117 - I love watching other people's projects so I'm glad people can get some enjoyment out of watching mine. :)

I really do think VC's H&A rb's are my favorite out of all the ones out there. I'm not sure why - they just seem to have a level of prettiness that really appeals to me. I think my new 2.2 G VS2 is an awesome stone, and the proportions should be generous without being overwhelming. Love this ring!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's every possibility I should be starting a new thread for this - but - what the hey, right? :)

So - DECISIONS MADE.

For the last week or two, I've done nothing except eat, sleep and breathe diamonds. But today I pulled some triggers. I switched out the F VS1 2ct round from Victor for a G VS2 2.2ct round. It was cheaper, larger, and a better fit with the side stones I want to use (2 x .31ct G IF pears, perfectly matched). Victor is going to make me a Trilogy with pear sides on a single wire shank, 4 prongs. I like to have rings for all metal colors as I like to coordinate, and this will be my platinum ring.

I have a GORGEOUS .95ct F VS2 small round, which I have sent off to DKJ to be set in the same style of ring as my larger solitaire - but in all platinum. This will be a nice, casual, every day ring.

I have bought 2 x 1.41 rb's from BN, which will be set either side of my 3.61ct stone. This will be a BIG 3 stone ring (just over 6.4ctw) and will give me the finger coverage I'm looking for. I'll have a plat head rhodium plated, with a yellow gold band. These stones are I color and all VS2 clarity. If I ever decide to upgrade my 3.61ct stone, I'll use the 2 x 1.41's as earrings.

I have a request for a quote in with BGD to re-set a pair of pearl and diamond drops.

DKJ is currently doing my upgraded cluster pendant to go with my 'flower' set.

That leaves me with 9 x 15pt stones, which I want to have set as an anniversary ring to wear with my new 3 stone.

And that's it! I think that will set everything that was unset up till this point! NO MORE UNSET DIAMONDS! And all of them beautiful diamonds in high quality settings. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Thank you all SO much for all your help! It's been invaluable! :wavey: Stand by for family shots in a couple of months!

Well, DAMN! Sounds like a plan, @mrs-b -- can't wait to see all this DELICIOUS BLING!!!

I may be working on a three stone with a cape OEC soon, so I'm anxious to see the proportions of yours!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, DAMN! Sounds like a plan, @mrs-b -- can't wait to see all this DELICIOUS BLING!!!

I may be working on a three stone with a cape OEC soon, so I'm anxious to see the proportions of yours!

This made me laugh. :) What size is your center stone, @msop04 ? I love cape diamonds!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, 6 new pieces! How exciting. I can't wait to see them all. And your new stone from VC is gorgeous. Great decisions, all of them!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This made me laugh. :) What size is your center stone, @msop04 ? I love cape diamonds!

OMG! I just got it in the mail!!!!!
Okay {breathe}... It's a 1.84 GIA U-V, light brown (7.67 x 7.70 mm)... and it's glorious. *sigh*
Now I've gotta figure out how the H I'm gonna set it... #blingproblems

Did I mention it was a freakin' steal???!!!

ETA: I may have just caught the old cut bug... a severe manifestation, might I add.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Lookinagain :) I have to admit tho, this whole project is a big of a moving target. Doing multiple projects is a nightmare and if you change your mind just once, multiple pieces of the puzzle no longer fit. So it's definitely been keeping me up night! But I'm getting there...ultimately....

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! I just got it in the mail!!!!!
Okay {breathe}... It's a 1.84 GIA U-V, light brown (7.67 x 7.70 mm)... and it's glorious. *sigh*
Now I've gotta figure out how the H I'm gonna set it... #blingproblems

Did I mention it was a freakin' steal???!!!

ETA: I may have just caught the old cut bug... a severe manifestation, might I add.

Mhmhm..'scuse me.. this one by chance?? :Dhttps://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/1-dot-84ct-oec-gia-u-v-light-brown
:love:

@mrs-b I am so very excited for your projects!!! And I am very happy that you considered all options and made a plan that completely utilizes your existing diamonds! I cannot wait to see the end results!
As others have said, I am living my diamond dreams vicariously through you :D
Also, the new 2.2 VC G diamond is gorgeous! Just breathtaking!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good GRIEF, this is difficult! One needs to stay super-flexible doing this sort of thing, especially, as I mentioned above to Lookinagain, if one is doing more than one project and trying to coordinate them all!

So my BN sides came and...no. The proportions are wrong, they don't seem to match, I can see differences in the color - even tho they're all I's (2 have fluoro and one doesn't) - it just won't work. So they're going back.

However....

I had my eye on a cheaper WF stone (and the 4.15 stone I originally liked is gone and I couldn't afford it now anyway!) - and I've decided to go with it. It's 3.4ct H VS1 - a lovely stone! I've just been on the phone with WF and have put the stone in question on hold and will set it - probably in a flower setting - when it gets here. This will take all my 15 point stones, so the band will then be off the table. I do have a bunch of eternity bands tho, so this is not a problem. And you wouldn't want to wear a 3.4ct stone set in a cluster with a diamond band anyway! (well, I wouldn't - there's a limit!)

My 3.61 stone is quite deep, at 62.3%, so my new diamond, altho 21pts smaller, is only 1/10th of a mm less in diameter - not a difference one would see, i think. And once it's in a cluster - who cares anyway, right? It will also put me on the WF track, should I wish to upgrade - which I'm sure I will. I have 4.5-5ct in the back of my mind, and we'll just chip away till I get there. I should add - Brittany from WF is checking to make sure WF's previous offer is still good; I'll jump off a bridge if it isn't and I have to re-plan AGAIN.

In the meantime, it will be in the mother of all clusters, which should scratch the size itch for a while! All those side stones I've hung onto for so many years are finally coming home to roost. So to speak. :D

And now - @msop04 - can we see your beautiful new diamond pls? :appl:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good GRIEF, this is difficult! One needs to stay super-flexible doing this sort of thing, especially, as I mentioned above to Lookinagain, if one is doing more than one project and trying to coordinate them all!

So my BN sides came and...no. The proportions are wrong, they don't seem to match, I can see differences in the color - even tho they're all I's (2 have fluoro and one doesn't) - it just won't work. So they're going back.

However....

I had my eye on a cheaper WF stone (and the 4.15 stone I originally liked is gone and I couldn't afford it now anyway!) - and I've decided to go with it. It's 3.4ct H VS1 - a lovely stone! I've just been on the phone with WF and have put the stone in question on hold and will set it - probably in a flower setting - when it gets here. This will take all my 15 point stones, so the band will then be off the table. I do have a bunch of eternity bands tho, so this is not a problem. And you wouldn't want to wear a 3.4ct stone set in a cluster with a diamond band anyway! (well, I wouldn't - there's a limit!)

My 3.61 stone is quite deep, at 62.3%, so my new diamond, altho 21pts smaller, is only 1/10th of a mm less in diameter - not a difference one would see, i think. And once it's in a cluster - who cares anyway, right? It will also put me on the WF track, should I wish to upgrade - which I'm sure I will. I have 4.5-5ct in the back of my mind, and we'll just chip away till I get there. I should add - Brittany from WF is checking to make sure WF's previous offer is still good; I'll jump off a bridge if it isn't and I have to re-plan AGAIN.

In the meantime, it will be in the mother of all clusters, which should scratch the size itch for a while! All those side stones I've hung onto for so many years are finally coming home to roost. So to speak. :D

And now - @msop04 - can we see your beautiful new diamond pls? :appl:

Heeeeeelp.... I'm lost - lol. So the new VC 2.2 round and pears setting is still in play, right? And the existing 3.61 is being traded in for the 3.4 H? Or are you keeping the 3.61 too? Or is that the offer you're waiting to hear about from WF? Oh wait, I think I've just figured it out as I typed through all of that - lol!! 3-stone w/ pears is on, 3-stone with rounds is off, new cluster with 3.4 center is now on and the 3.61 is being traded.

Does that sound right?!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laughing here - yes, you got it, @ILikeShiny !

I was keeping the door open on the 3 stone till I'd seen the sides; there were remarkably few with the specs I wanted on BN, and I was winging it re guessing the size I wanted But they didn't look right, so I sent them back. Rather than go continually back and forth, trying to get it right, I've decided to go with plan B, which was to trade my stone with WF and get the 3.4ct H VS1 with no fluoro - which is almost exactly the same size as my current stone anyway. Ultimately, in years ahead, I'd like to get over 4.5ct, so having the 3.4ct diamond from WF will put me on the right path, should I want to trade up. This, however, cleans out my budget, more or less. So, in the meantime, to make up for the extra size I won't now get from side stones, I'm going to do a cluster, and this time next year I'll keep an eye on WF's inventory and look for my next trade up.

After all of this, I'll only have the earrings reset to go with BGD, but that will have to be next year at this point.

Phew!
ETA All my stones are set at that point, and I have no more projects to do that really need to be done. So to all intents and purposes - I'm finished when these setting pieces come back! I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be on PS after that - I suspect not nearly as much....until it's EARRINGS TIME!

:mrgreen:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than go continually back and forth, trying to get it right, I've decided to go with plan B, which was to trade my stone with WF and get the 3.4ct H VS1 with no fluoro - which is almost exactly the same size as my current stone anyway. Ultimately, in years ahead, I'd like to get over 4.5ct, so having the 3.4ct diamond from WF will put me on the right path, should I want to trade up. This, however, cleans out my budget, more or less. So, in the meantime, to make up for the extra size I won't now get from side stones, I'm going to do a cluster, and this time next year I'll keep an eye on WF's inventory and look for my next trade up.
Ahhhh, gotcha now!

Two questions: Is VC doing the cluster setting? And when you trade up the 3.4, are the plans to replace the diamond with a colored stone in the setting (or have you thought that far yet)?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo with pears & rounds was never tempting for the 3.4, was it ?

Looking forward to the beautiful news, sure enough !

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mhmhm..'scuse me.. this one by chance?? :Dhttps://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/1-dot-84ct-oec-gia-u-v-light-brown

Yes, ma'am! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results