shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear this @mrs-b but I'm sure there's bigger and better in your future and we will be anxiously awaiting that journey!!! You and your DH are wonderful people to help yours friends - wishing you and them the very best ::HUGS::

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm chiming in SUPER late (how did I miss this thread??!!!)....it's been quite a roller coaster to get to this point, hasn't it? I'm glad that your thoughtful planning delayed your timing enough to put you in a position to be able to help a friend in need. You are a kind person with a healthy perspective! Things happen for a reason sometimes, don't they? I'll look forward to resuming your journey with you when you are ready. You have quite the collection of stones amassed and I can't wait to see how you plan to use them!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 , @JDDN , @Bonfire , @ILikeShiny , @MissGotRocks , @kayla17 , @LLJsmom , @valeria101 , @Phoenix , @ac117 , @yennyfire -

Thank you to all of you for your kind, encouraging comments. I was really touched.

I still have some projects planned, so I won't be starving for sparklies, but the big stone will have to be put off for now. I do still have a few, very exciting things in the works however - things commenced before this last unexpected (!!!) change of direction - and I'm hoping to post the odd thing or two over the next couple of months.

Hugs to you all and thank you for being so nice! :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well THIS is an interesting turn of events! DH, who reeeally wanted me to have the diamond I've wanted for so many years, encouraged me and encouraged me to go ahead and get the WF diamond. Against every instinct, tho - I resisted; it just didn't feel quite right. As it turns out, I've also been speaking recently to one of the ladies here on PS about colorless stones and how much we love them! So...DH suggested I split the difference and spend not as much as we had planned to on the solitaire, but instead upgrade my Victor Canera diamond from a 1.67ct H VS2, to a 2.02ct F VS1! To do this will cost far less than I had planned to spend and it will be the center stone in the 3 stone ring that I have wanted for SOOOOOO long! @LLJsmom - here comes the first 3 stone ring you said you thought might see on PS in coming months! :D

I chose to upgrade the stone because I wanted to set this ring in platinum, and I wanted a change from my I colored stone - to something very sharp and white; no softness here! All blinding white light! I also already had another beautiful diamond - a BN Signature cut F VS2 stone, a shade under a ct. So - next stop we'll be buying a matching stone, and setting the whole thing in this:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-lily-round-trilogy

And here's my new center stone!

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104094578001-2.023-f-vs1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

So in the end, I'll have a beautiful 3 stone - which was next on my list - and will push back the large solitaire idea for a while. This feels MUCH better! All up, including setting and the second side stone, it will be about half the price it would have cost to upgrade my larger diamond, and it knocks something off the list I've probably wanted all my adult, jewelry collecting life. And - what quality! It's a ring of dream-like quality, and I couldn't be happier!

There's also every possibility that, at this point, I won't upgrade the 3.61ct stone, but will just reset it into a more substantial setting; possibly a cluster, which is a style I just love SO much! But that's a project for down the track. In the meantime, I can't believe my good fortune! Nobody ever 'deserves' to have a ring this beautiful - but I'm awfully glad and grateful that I will! :appl:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wee! What a roller coaster ride this thread is! That stone is INSANE!
This ring will be spectacular. :appl: I'm so excited and happy for you!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh my goodness! What an amazing turn of events! The best of both worlds! Can't wait to see you new three stone! Yippee!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b this is such a wonderful turn of events! And the 2.023ct VC stone is so gorgeous! It will be such a killer three stone ring!! I am very much looking forward to seeing it!! I am also happy that VC will let you use as a side stone one of your existing stones, that is really great!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies - I feel like my head is spinning! DH suggested this yesterday evening and 9am LA time I was on the phone with Victor tying down that diamond! Just to clarify - Victor has a hard and fast policy about not using customers' stones, and I don't believe he would have this time either. But I've met Victor a couple of times and we've chatted on the phone many times, so we're somewhat familiar with each other. In the course of conversation he asked me why I was upgrading my stone, and I told him what had happened to DH's bonus and he made an exception. But it was a "Never again!" situation - and I believe him.

I dont know how long the entire process will take, but I'm assuming about 8 weeks. There is no doubt I will be posting photos when it's done!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely of VC to make an exception given the circumstances, that just speaks to the kind of person he is. Or course some situations and exceptions are not to be repeated, but it is still lovely when they occur :)

The three stone is going to be absolutely beautiful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy for this turn of events for you! I think you might just enjoy this ring more than you would have the 4 carat stone. It's a different look of course but lots of bling and sparkle for sure. So glad this worked out for you and can't wait to see the ring!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely of VC to make an exception given the circumstances, that just speaks to the kind of person he is. Or course some situations and exceptions are not to be repeated, but it is still lovely when they occur :)

The three stone is going to be absolutely beautiful!

I know, right? What a lovely man!

And I think this 3 stone will be amazing! I've never had a stone over a ct that was higher than an H. This is going to be faboosh! :D

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shut the front door!!!! :geek2:

Amazing idea by DH, GORGEOUS colorless diamond, kind consideration from Victor, and a bucket list item... all rolled up in to one sweeeeeet package! And now that ring will have all of these amazing memories with it too :mrgreen2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, right? What a lovely man!

And I think this 3 stone will be amazing! I've never had a stone over a ct that was higher than an H. This is going to be faboosh! :D

Yes, VC impressed me with this story!

A VC colorless three stone ring will be TDF! :lickout:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am soooo excited for you mrs-b. A F three stone. And the center from VC too. OMG.:love::love::love: So satisfying. Like eating too much of a super delicious meal. So awesome that you were both able to work it out to use one of your side stones. It's win-win Cause you are upgrading with him and buying another stone. And you're doing a tri-wire! Did I tell you I love my tri-wire? This is going to be sooooooooooooo exciting!!!! :appl::appl::appl:
And I forgot to say I LOVE the bigger side stone proportions. So so so love. This ring is gonna be un-freaking-believable.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am soooo excited for you mrs-b. A F three stone. And the center from VC too. OMG.:love::love::love: So satisfying. Like eating too much of a super delicious meal. So awesome that you were both able to work it out to use one of your side stones. It's win-win Cause you are upgrading with him and buying another stone. And you're doing a tri-wire! Did I tell you I love my tri-wire? This is going to be sooooooooooooo exciting!!!! :appl::appl::appl:
And I forgot to say I LOVE the bigger side stone proportions. So so so love. This ring is gonna be un-freaking-believable.

Wait - sorry - WHAT?? You have a tri wire?? I knew someone on PS did, but I didn't realize it was you, @LLJsmom !! Going off immediately to look up your threads to see if I can find it!

Ok - I'm laughing now. It's your new ring, isn't it? D'oh! I am such a doofus!! I'm TOTALLY familiar with your new ring, and if someone had said to me - "What sort of band does LLJsmom have on her new VC ring?" I would have said "Tri-wire." But for some reason it went straight out of my head! Pls forgive me - my thinking is NOT clear at the moment!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SUPER excited for you mrs-b!! Your 3 stone is a dream ring, truly. From the stones to the hand forged setting.....dream ring. What a wonderful turn of events and I kinda feel like when you get your honker it'll be closer to 4.5 carats :twisted2::mrgreen2:. Good things come to those who wait (and are kind :roll2:).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy it is all working out for you mrs-b. Although I have "played in your jewelry box" a bit and it certainly isn't lacking in any respect, its great that you can move forward with one of your bucket list items. So much better than doing all this thinking and planning and then just having to give it up. You still have a wonderful project to work on but are being practical given the terrible hurricane events we are seeing and some that may yet still come. I can't wait to see your new three stone in person. I'm sure it will be stunning.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SUPER excited for you mrs-b!! Your 3 stone is a dream ring, truly. From the stones to the hand forged setting.....dream ring. What a wonderful turn of events and I kinda feel like when you get your honker it'll be closer to 4.5 carats :twisted2::mrgreen2:. Good things come to those who wait (and are kind :roll2:).

Well, here's how it's shaping up at this point....

Firstly, I'll have the VC 3 stone.

But I' also feeling as tho I'm moving closer and closer to keeping my 3.61ct stone. Its faceting is BEAUTIFUL, and its light return is amazing. I was sitting on a deep red sofa last night while wearing a salmon colored shirt. I held my hand up, and my diamond looked like the embodiment of autumn; all red and orange arrows and bright blue light - amazing! I just fell in love with it all over again, and I'm just not sure it's worth 50k to go up in size 1mm. In life in general - 1mm is virtually nothing; I'm just not sure it's worth the cash - even for a diamond when I'll have a bunch of other rings with round brilliants in them.

Before you think I've gone all philosophical tho...I'm thinking of resetting this stone into this sort of setting:

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/halo/810-halo-ring-old-european-cut-diamond-detail

Obviously, my stone isn't an old cut, but I do love the style; I adore clusters! I happen to have a bunch of 13pt stones, and I think they'd look awesome used for a halo/cluster. This would also solve (obviously!) my problem with having a plain, sharp edge to my diamond, and it looking unfinished to my eye. When I'd done this, tho, the ring would be very large - far larger than a solitaire could ever be, so I might prefer to leave it in that setting.

And then, in a couple of years time, I'll buy that 5ct EC or cushion.... :mrgreen2:

(Oh , I WISH!! https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/5.03-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2239657 )

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shut the front door!!!! :geek2:

Amazing idea by DH, GORGEOUS colorless diamond, kind consideration from Victor, and a bucket list item... all rolled up in to one sweeeeeet package! And now that ring will have all of these amazing memories with it too :mrgreen2:

This really made me laugh...!! :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Lookinagain - it was so encouraging to think something was going to come out of this. In some ways, it was the best thing; through the whole process, the one thing I've been sure of is that I wanted a three stone! So perhaps this is the way forward for now.

Have you been wearing your new necklace? I thought it was lovely!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bonfire - rollercoaster ride is right!! I feel like I have whiplash I've changed directions so many times so fast! I think it will be a killer ring when it's done! I mean - how can it not be awesome? Just look at its pedigree - to say nothing of all the love and thought which has gone into it!

Hi @yennyfire :wavey: Yippee is exactly how I feel, too! I NEVER saw this coming. i thought the plans were dead and buried - only to do a phoenix-like move, and to rise from the ashes, dare I say - even better than before? We'll see!!

Thanks, @MissGotRocks - and you're right. I've always been a three stone girl; the way this resonated with my heart when I realized a three stone was in my immediate future told me a lot. I do think I'm on the right track now! Thank you for your support; your taste and comments are particularly useful to me.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I actually have it on right now! I'm really enjoying it and it's different little chain and the change from wearing a pendant which is what I typically do. Not to change the subject but your EC and the two pears I found are with DK right now being set!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to chime in to say that I am SO excited for you, mrs-b!! I will be following your three-stone project with great interest, as it is guaranteed to be drop-dead gorgeous!! :love::love::love: I truly admire your positive spin throughout this process, and everything really does seem to be working out for the best. Your current stone is a stunner, and Victor's three-stone is going to be an absolute knockout!! :twirl::twirl::twirl: I can't wait to hear and see more as things progress!!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here's how it's shaping up at this point....

Firstly, I'll have the VC 3 stone.

But I' also feeling as tho I'm moving closer and closer to keeping my 3.61ct stone. Its faceting is BEAUTIFUL, and its light return is amazing. I was sitting on a deep red sofa last night while wearing a salmon colored shirt. I held my hand up, and my diamond looked like the embodiment of autumn; all red and orange arrows and bright blue light - amazing! I just fell in love with it all over again, and I'm just not sure it's worth 50k to go up in size 1mm. In life in general - 1mm is virtually nothing; I'm just not sure it's worth the cash - even for a diamond when I'll have a bunch of other rings with round brilliants in them.

Before you think I've gone all philosophical tho...I'm thinking of resetting this stone into this sort of setting:

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/custom-work/halo/810-halo-ring-old-european-cut-diamond-detail

Obviously, my stone isn't an old cut, but I do love the style; I adore clusters! I happen to have a bunch of 13pt stones, and I think they'd look awesome used for a halo/cluster. This would also solve (obviously!) my problem with having a plain, sharp edge to my diamond, and it looking unfinished to my eye. When I'd done this, tho, the ring would be very large - far larger than a solitaire could ever be, so I might prefer to leave it in that setting.

And then, in a couple of years time, I'll buy that 5ct EC or cushion.... :mrgreen2:

(Oh , I WISH!! https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/5.03-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2239657 )

I absolutely adore your description of how your 3.61 lit up and reflected all the warm colors and the blue sky, it sounds simply heavenly. Having that needle in a haystack is so rewarding and makes you feel like you won the diamond lottery. I don't blame you for wanting to keep such a stunner and it does put things into perspective when you look at the $$ to go up 1mm. I think it just depends on what you really want and as of now you have both time and options. The Leon cluster ring is fabulous and you'd get serious coverage and major bling presence with it. Very different from a solitaire but breathtakingly beautiful. And you're right....you have several RB's and if you wanted to go for a giant rock, there are so many other cuts to explore!!!! :dance:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! Where do I begin??!! I'm so excited for you, @mrs-b!!

P.S. Can your husband have a talk with mine?? ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @mrs-b!!!! What an awesome development!!!:appl: I would LOVE a three stone ring like that! I think a 2 ct center is honestly a much better size for the center, so I am so excited to see this finished ring!

I really do think it would be nicely balanced in size with the solitaire you have, even if you never upgrade it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK diamond floral_a.jpg
I absolutely adore your description of how your 3.61 lit up and reflected all the warm colors and the blue sky, it sounds simply heavenly. Having that needle in a haystack is so rewarding and makes you feel like you won the diamond lottery. I don't blame you for wanting to keep such a stunner and it does put things into perspective when you look at the $$ to go up 1mm. I think it just depends on what you really want and as of now you have both time and options. The Leon cluster ring is fabulous and you'd get serious coverage and major bling presence with it. Very different from a solitaire but breathtakingly beautiful. And you're right....you have several RB's and if you wanted to go for a giant rock, there are so many other cuts to explore!!!! :dance:

@JDDN -

Thank you so much for 'getting it' re my current diamond. Truth is - I love that stone! Its light performance and its reflection of colors is just divine, and I am loath to part with it. I just want more size! But with the same stone! (not possible, right?!)

One of these stones is going to become a cluster and one will be a three stone. I'm going back and forth on which one will be which. To throw one more spanner in the works, I have also long loved the setting I've attached and I think both stones would look awesome like this. I would do it without a bezeled inner diamond - that would be prong set - but the halo would be as is. I can't help but think that the new stone would look awesome in this sort of setting....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @carbonfan :wavey: Thanks for lending your enjoyment to mine! This sort of journey is SO much better when shared with friends. Victor received my 1.67ct trade up diamond on Saturday and it goes off to AGS now for recertification and to be checked for marks of wear. It won't have any tho, I'm sure; it's sat in its box since I received it and hasn't been set. But I'm one step closer! :mrgreen:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 - If my husband spoke to your husband I think he would say "I have no idea how we got here. I married a girl in college who used to wear jeans and t shirts, and a piece of leather tied around her wrist...and somehow we ended up here!" If DH has learnt one thing over the years about all this it's to breathe deeply and stay calm! :))

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @diamondseeker2006 :wavey: And happy Sunday!

One thing you need to keep in consideration is that my fingers are not your dainty elegant digits! I was wearing my solitaire yesterday and a woman who works at a diner my husband and I frequent regularly (like - every day) said "Oh! I saw you were wearing your ring today! It caught my eye across the room! What size it is?" I have often chatted about jewelry with this woman (Martha) and we've compared rings many times, but she hadn't seen my soli.

I said "It's 3.61ct." She said "Oh - nice!"

But she didn't say "Wow, that's big!" or anything along those lines, even tho it's FAR bigger than the average stone she'd see in our diner. But I knew what the problem was.

So I said - "Here. Try it on." And I pulled it off and handed it to her. Her fingers are about a size 5.

She took it from me, slipped it on her finger and went "OHHHH! That's HUGE!"

And that's the thing, DS. My rings look far smaller on my fingers because they're large. I wear a size 7.5...but above that, my fingers are puffy, and they look larger as a result. I'd say, to look at my hand, you'd think my ring size was more like an 8.5. On a finger that looks like an 8.5, a 3.61 ct stone will - I PROMISE you - look like a 2 ct stone. My main concern with doing the new stone as a three stone is that it will be too small. I used to have a 3.5ctw 3 stone - 2.07 in the middle (.2mm larger than my new stone) - and .72 on each side. If I do the iteration I'm thinking about - 2.02 with 2 x .95 - it will be 3.92ctw and 1mm wider. So, not a huge bump in size, tho I would like the proportions better on a ring that size. When center stones get very large, I prefer smaller sides, but when they're, for me, a more modest size, I like larger sides. I think R and G's Tiffany 3 stone, which was 2.5 center with 2 x 1.25 sides, was perfect.

So my options are firming - I have the stones I'll be using - and the setting options are narrowing. But I am still a week away from pulling the trigger.

I have an appt with Amy at DKJ for next Saturday, and triggers will be pulled at that point!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results