shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on coming to a decision you feel comfortable with. Your new diamond is STUNNING, and I'm sure the new (updated) setting will be equally as beautiful!

Thanks, ILS! :wavey:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b , can't wait to see the final product!

On a separate note, would it be possible for me to get in touch with you pls? I have a question that I'd like to ask you.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix - absolutely! I'll put a contact listing for you up in LoupeTroop.

ETA Done. It's on the main page currently, but I had to pick a category so, if you cant see it on the main page of listings, it's in the 'Rings' category.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phoenix - absolutely! I'll put a contact listing for you up in LoupeTroop.

ETA Done. It's on the main page currently, but I had to pick a category so, if you cant see it on the main page of listings, it's in the 'Rings' category.

So kind of you, mrs-b! I'll send you an email.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JDDN -

I think the size of the pears in the quote was largely dictated by the size of the center stone; I'm guessing I can only go so far when my center stone is over 10mm across.

I definitely want a 3 stone and will probably use my 1.7ct stone for some version of a 3 stone. I also have a beautiful pair of .64ctw pears - G IF. They were cut as a pair, and they're really lovely. But I also like rings I can SEE, so I've thought about doing *this* design, but in all diamonds and with a round center - same as Lost Sapphire's 'Blueberry' but with a diamond center:

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/natural-unheated-burma-ruby-ring-detail

The fact that I have these pears is the biggest reason I don't want to do that style with my new stone; I want to use the pears I have and I don't want 2 identical rings of different sizes. The 1.7ct stone I have is a Canera H&A - H VS2. I want to use it in a three stone because it's so much smaller than my new stone. I do think 1.7ct is a lovely size, tho, and it's very, very pretty.

Re my new stone, the more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to go with remaking my current setting...but better. And yes - I may well stay with it. FOREVER. :-o So that would give me a large solitaire, and either a 3 stone round with pears, or a ring as per the one I linked to above - one of those. I also have a .95 and a .63 stone as well. Those are F VS2 and E VS2 respectively and one of them will be a small solitaire. The other one might be step one in a new pair of studs. I think the .95 stone would be a very sweet solitaire, and I actually like diamonds of this size - very much. It would just be a travel ring, but I think I'd probably wear it more often than that.

JDDN - I had thought you were selling your 1.6ct stone? Did you change your mind? If so...great! I love that stone! What will you do with your Jin setting? If that were only my size! :)

And good luck to your husband! He's a brave, brave man....

Ah you're right about the pear side stone size being dictated by the mm width of the center stone and probably also your finger size. It sounds like you have a lot of options and if you already have a pair of pears then I can see why you wouldn't want two rings with pear sides! That Leon ring you linked is stunning. That is a ring you will definitely see! I love how the pears are oriented with the rest of the halo. It gives it great visual interest.

You know....you love your solitaire, so sure, why not improve the setting for your new glorious stone! I think that sounds like a fabulous idea :cool2:. I would love to come play with all your sparklies, loose and set, lol. I adore the right around a carat size stones so much! My DH proposed with a 0.9 carat E, VS1 BN solitaire and I am KICKING myself for changing it. Like, I so wish I had that stone as I just love the size now and it really was so beautiful. It could be so many things and I would have the stone my DH picked for me! Oh well, live and learn? In my case maybe not.....o_O.

Yup, keeping my 1.6 and will be set into a forever setting! Hoping to sell my Jin setting which I'll list alone sometime soon.

Lol, my husband is definitely a brave and patient man!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Hi mrs-b! :wavey:

Very exciting project! Since I had a 3 stone ring with pear side stones, I thought I would weigh in. I had my 3.25 ct. MRB set in an SK 3 stone with .85 ct. pears. While it was a beautiful ring, I always thought the pears took away from the center stone. My ring was VERY low set and that always drove me crazy too. I never was in love with the ring, so I had Brilliantly Engaged reset it into a solitaire. Now I LOVE it!!! In hindsight, if I would have had my 3 stone set a little higher and had used way smaller side stones, more like accent stones, I might have loved it more.

I know you are going back and forth between ring styles and I certainly know how hard it is! I think the 3 stone is off the table now for your new diamond, but if you do consider it again, I really would suggest trying to find some to try on person. Maybe you could find a cheap CZ on-line to see how you like it compared to a solitaire. I still love pictures of a 3 stone, but when it came down to it, it wasn’t me.

I look forward to following your journey! A 4 ct. ACA is going to be stunning no matter how you set it!!!! :love:

Oh one more thing on a 3 stone with pears, I never found a wedding band that looked quite right with it. I know some PSers with this ring style have had luck finding a wedding band to wear with it, but it could be challenging. I believe SK called it a stand-alone ring. I know you want to wear a wedding band with your new ring, so something to think about.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mrs-b! :wavey:

Oh one more thing on a 3 stone with pears, I never found a wedding band that looked quite right with it. I know some PSers with this ring style have had luck finding a wedding band to wear with it, but it could be challenging. I believe SK called it a stand-alone ring. I know you want to wear a wedding band with your new ring, so something to think about.

Hi @tweeter8177 - and thanks so much for weighing in!

I believe I've spent time looking at your ring in the past, trying to see what aspects I wanted to emulate. I think you hit the nail on the head with the sentence bolded above. And more than that - I don't just want to wear a wedding ring with it - I want to wear MY wedding ring with it. So I'm limited right from the get-go. I also have a lovely eternity I'd like to wear with it, and that also narrows things down. I'd be prepared to forgo wearing the eternity with the e-ring, but I'd rather not if I didn't really have to.

I've thought about making a 3 stone with my .95ct stone, so the finished product would look very like yours. I LOVE 3 stone rings of that size, and have had one in the past, tho a tad smaller. I'd love to remake it.

I looked at your thread re your remade solitaire - and I have to say - PERFECT! Thanks for your input - I think I'm slowly but surely swinging around to a solitaire for my new stone and am getting more comfortable with the idea every day. :appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know....you love your solitaire, so sure, why not improve the setting for your new glorious stone! I think that sounds like a fabulous idea :cool2:. I would love to come play with all your sparklies, loose and set, lol. I adore the right around a carat size stones so much! My DH proposed with a 0.9 carat E, VS1 BN solitaire and I am KICKING myself for changing it. Like, I so wish I had that stone as I just love the size now and it really was so beautiful. It could be so many things and I would have the stone my DH picked for me! Oh well, live and learn? In my case maybe not.....o_O.

I remember, when I first moved to the US from a country that thinks a 1ct stone is large - seeing a woman wearing a .9ct ring. I asked her what size the stone was and she told me, and I said to her how much I liked it because it was the *perfect* size. She had it set in a beautiful, hand carved custom setting, and I thought it was just the loveliest thing I'd seen. And I still think that!

Y'know, JDDN, it's possible we've just lost all sense of perspective! Sometimes I think we wear our rings as a substitute for stapling our bank accounts on our foreheads, instead of as the symbol of lifetime commitment and new life together that they're meant to be. Sinners of which I am chief. On the other hand - do not try to remove my new 4.15ct diamond from me - under ANY circumstances!

You would, however, be welcome to play in my jewelry box any time! I love playing jewelry; it's a great game! :))

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember, when I first moved to the US from a country that thinks a 1ct stone is large - seeing a woman wearing a .9ct ring. I asked her what size the stone was and she told me, and I said to her how much I liked it because it was the *perfect* size. She had it set in a beautiful, hand carved custom setting, and I thought it was just the loveliest thing I'd seen. And I still think that!

Y'know, JDDN, it's possible we've just lost all sense of perspective! Sometimes I think we wear our rings as a substitute for stapling our bank accounts on our foreheads, instead of as the symbol of lifetime commitment and new life together that they're meant to be. Sinners of which I am chief. On the other hand - do not try to remove my new 4.15ct diamond from me - under ANY circumstances!

You would, however, be welcome to play in my jewelry box any time! I love playing jewelry; it's a great game! :))

I have TOTALLY lost all sense of perspective!! Bling is my escape and my fantasy land and I love it but it is just bling. I think that's one reason why I'm wanting something that my husband participates in as it's a piece that will have sentimental value and I'm really missing that. I mean, I adore that I can pick out diamonds and pieces and enjoy them, but really I must try and keep all this into perspective!

I LOVE a three stone with a smaller center stone. If you did a three stone with your 0.95 it would be beautiful. I love Tweeter's 3 stone in that vein too =)2.

Thank you for the invite into your jewelry box!! I could spend hours playing jewelry with you, LOL!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love playing jewelry; it's a great game!

There is a screenshot of your post safely honored on my tablet - it might get framed.

Your reply, @JDDN is also in.

[home country does not do engagement - PS had too much explaining to do, back in the day when its main chaper was called 'Show me The ring' !]

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b said:
That is a truly hysterically awesome statement :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And, if I might be indulged a slight sidetracking, could you ladies who have experience with larger diamonds give me some insight? How much attention do they truly garner? Like, when you go to buy things do you feel salespeople (try to) charge you more or treat you differently based on your rings? Are they best left at home for such occasions (when you'll be negotiating prices)? Do you generally feel safe and not oogled? How often are they commented on?

Large diamonds aren't unheard of where I live, but I'd say 1.5-2 ct is the norm. 3+ and people are like DAMN :geek2:.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @ILikeShiny -

I often see people looking at my jewelry. The biggest pieces garner the most attention, of course, but even so, women tend to be mesmerized by anything that twinkles! I often tell my husband that men are meant to perpetuate the species by spreading their seed and women are meant to perpetuate the species by caring for the young to the best of our ability. We do that by feathering our nests as lushly as possible; it's genetic, it's evolution. Consequently, I tell my DH that he married Right. At. The. Top. of the food chain! He seems to derive a surprisingly small level of comfort from this.

I wear my rings on a rotating basis, tho I wear my e-ring or my wedding ring the most. I find if I'm all blinged out, I tend to get better service - and I would never go into a jewelry store of any substance without throwing on a few largish pieces. I don't think anyone has ever tried to charge me more because of my jewelry and I don't think it makes much difference in negotiation.

People tend to look without commenting, but if I'm ever asked about hobbies, and I say collecting diamonds/jewelry, it's amazing the number of people who then comment in detail about my rings/earrings/bangles/necklaces/etcetcetc. As far as feeling safe - I try to dress appropriately; nobody likes a show off. Also, I used to live in NY and I would never wear my rings on the subway - that's just begging for it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a screenshot of your post safely honored on my tablet - it might get framed.

Your reply, @JDDN is also in.

[home country does not do engagement - PS had too much explaining to do, back in the day when its main chaper was called 'Show me The ring' !]

This made me laugh, @valeria101 :)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think anyone has ever tried to charge me more because of my jewelry and I don't think it makes much difference in negotiation.
This part really surprised me. I was expecting to hear the exact opposite, honestly.

I can totally understand the NY subway thing. I'm guessing it will be the same for the D.C. metro.

I asked because I grew up in a very minimalist household yet somehow I inherited a gene that loves big and shiny. Ugh :lol:. Just trying to learn what's "usual behavior" and what to be aware/careful of. Thanks for your input!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanna say I'm so excited we may be seeing some three stones on SMTB soon. I love three stone rings!!!:appl::appl:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

I definitely want a 3 stone and will probably use my 1.7ct stone for some version of a 3 stone. I also have a beautiful pair of .64ctw pears - G IF.

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/shop-now/natural-unheated-burma-ruby-ring-detail

It might be worth asking how the pears & round would fit this design. I'd guess that the proportions will be quite different, with only six rounds & the pears around the center, but, I am not sure things add up quite like AOP did, i.e. with the pears precisely as wide as the small rounds.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanna say I'm so excited we may be seeing some three stones on SMTB soon. I love three stone rings!!!:appl::appl:

Me too - and every time I look at them, i think "why don't I have one of these??!" Any three stone for me is down the list, tho; I have a pendant, 3 rings, and a pair of earrings lined up with DKJ. After that - the three stone! After that - chapter 11....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

It might be worth asking how the pears & round would fit this design. I'd guess that the proportions will be quite different, with only six rounds & the pears around the center, but, I am not sure things add up quite like AOP did, i.e. with the pears precisely as wide as the small rounds.

Hi Valeria :)

I have 8 rounds and a pair of pears to go with my VC center stone - and they fit exactly, mirroring the proportions of the ring in the link. So I'm thinking it should all be A Ok!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @mrs-b,
Did you send your diamond to WF yet? I'm not sure if it's safe to send back stuff.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @kayla17 -

I'm shipping it tomorrow. They've been receiving deliveries, so hopefully now is the time. They said they'd send me a shipping label tomorrow and I'll ship tomorrow afternoon. FINGERS CROSSED! (yes....yelling!)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about starting a thread called 'Biting the Bullet' - but decided just to post here instead.

Unfortunately, DH and I have cancelled my diamond project. DH works in the insurance industry with a large, well known company, and the recent hurricanes are expected to wipe out 100% of the year's profit. This will mean the loss of 100% of staff bonuses. For us, that represents 35% of DH's annual income. Harvey, we could manage. But Harvey and Irma - no. DH walked into the house this evening after work, looked at me, and said "It's gone."

But here's the thing. For us, that means a big diamond ring, some house renovations, and an exotic trip. It won't take food off our table or remove the roof over our head. We're supremely lucky and we know it. We'll simply do it again next year - bigger and better. (The bigger part is likely, too, as I had originally wanted something in the 4.5ct range.) We're not affected in any meaningful way.

DH said we could still go ahead if I wanted, and that the call was up to me; we had the option of just pulling it out of savings. But WHILE WE WERE HAVING THE CONVERSATION (and how odd is this?!) - friends of ours called and said "We're having financial difficulties - can you help us?" That was the tipping point. We told them yes - and told the diamond no.

So - buh bye, big diamond. See you next year.

Thank you to everyone who helped me make decisions; I've worked out what route I want to take and had a bunch of fun taking this journey with you. Hopefully you'll stick around to see how this all plays out. <3

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking about starting a thread called 'Biting the Bullet' - but decided just to post here instead.

Unfortunately, DH and I have cancelled my diamond project. DH works in the insurance industry with a large, well known company, and the recent hurricanes are expected to wipe out 100% of the year's profit. This will mean the loss of 100% of staff bonuses. For us, that represents 35% of DH's annual income. Harvey, we could manage. But Harvey and Irma - no. DH walked into the house this evening after work, looked at me, and said "It's gone."

But here's the thing. For us, that means a big diamond ring, some house renovations, and an exotic trip. It won't take food off our table or remove the roof over our head. We're supremely lucky and we know it. We'll simply do it again next year - bigger and better. (The bigger part is likely, too, as I had originally wanted something in the 4.5ct range.) We're not affected in any meaningful way.

DH said we could still go ahead if I wanted, and that the call was up to me; we had the option of just pulling it out of savings. But WHILE WE WERE HAVING THE CONVERSATION (and how odd is this?!) - friends of ours called and said "We're having financial difficulties - can you help us?" That was the tipping point. We told them yes - and told the diamond no.

So - buh bye, big diamond. See you next year.

Thank you to everyone who helped me make decisions; I've worked out what route I want to take and had a bunch of fun taking this journey with you. Hopefully you'll stick around to see how this all plays out. <3

@mrs-b, I'm sorry you'll have to postpone your project, but I have to commend you for having a great attitude... and you're right -- we are all very lucky indeed. :)

Maybe this will be a great opportunity for you to decide what setting you really want with no pressure to "find the perfect one". :) I can't wait to see what big 'ole honkin' rock you find next year!! ;-)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh mrs-b!! You most certainly have not lost all perspective, rather you have just the right perspective. The bling is a wonderful luxury and it's just that....a luxury. You are a wonderful friend to help your friends. Sometimes it's a nice kick in the butt to have all our blessings put into perspective!

I look forward to continuing on your journey with you whenever that time comes =)2.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very grounding how everthing can change on a dime isn't it? You couldn't shake me from following on your journey with you if you tried! :lol-2:
You and your DH are the true gems in this story! :clap:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, what a turn of events. And in hindsight, isn't it great that you took as much time as you did so that now when you got this news you weren't fully committed financially?! I love when that happens (hindsight showing you'd made the right choices, not that large diamonds were pulled from your grasp :lol:).

You have a wonderful attitude and viewpoint. As you said, it could be so much worse. I'm sure GREAT things are on the horizon for you :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry for this turn of events but it just means something bigger and better is around the corner for you! Thank goodness your day to day living won't be affected by the loss and I think we can all appreciate your attitude about it all!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear this and as others have said, it just means that bigger and better things are coming your way.
And thank you for being a dear friend to your friends. I'm sure they will appreciate everything you do!
You are really a class act!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b sorry for this delay. Your kindness and perspective speaks volumes of your character. You'll have some time to let your ideas marinate and then when you are ready you will have a clearer picture of the setting you really want. Best of luck tonyou and your DH and your friends this coming year.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully you'll stick around to see how this all plays out.

Dully noted.

I trust you will not give up. The Plan is very elegant !

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b

I just saw this. I'm sorry to hear. But I echo others, what an amazing person you and DH are to want to help your friends, so selfless.

I also agree that this "time-out" will allow you to focus on what setting you'd really like later on.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results