shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning CVB drawing!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, Simone! I love seeing Caysie's drawings...she is sooo good!

Are the sides in 4 prongs or 3? I might want little doughnuts under the sides as well, but it may be easier to tell from the CADs exactly how those sides are set.

Thank you DS! I am so happy that you like the design. Caysie is extremely talented, her drawings are beautiful! Funny that you mention adding doughnuts, because I was thinking of that, but also figured that I would wait for the CADs first, I just don't want to make the design unnecessarily busy. I will share the images once I get them. Three prongs on sides, so from the end prong they would split into two.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely, @SimoneDi ! I agree about the donuts - but it will become obvious with CADs. Just to ask a dumb question here - are CADs used by people who 100% hand forge? I thought Caysie's designs were hand forged, not cast...no? yes?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's lovely, @SimoneDi ! I agree about the donuts - but it will become obvious with CADs. Just to ask a dumb question here - are CADs used by people who 100% hand forge? I thought Caysie's designs were hand forged, not cast...no? yes?

The oposite! CADs are used by designers who do not hand-forge. That doesn't mean that much of the work is not hand-made, just that the initial piece is cast and not hand-forged. ;-)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right - that was my perception. But I had thought Caysie *only* hand forged, so I was wondering if, as opposed to what I had always thought, that some people who hand forged also used CAD's. I'm surprised! Her work is so precise, I had assumed it was hand forged all the time.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right - that was my perception. But I had thought Caysie *only* hand forged, so I was wondering if, as opposed to what I had always thought, that some people who hand forged also used CAD's. I'm surprised! Her work is so precise, I had assumed it was hand forged all the time.

Her work is beautiful and very delicate! I think that is where the "hand made" details come into play. When designers hand-forge, the initial piece is also not super delicate, they just do all of the design/clean-up work by hand. Cast allows designers to have more control over the initial piece and then improve it by adding additional details and "cleaning up" the jewels by hand. When I received the Anastasia band, I was amazed at how delicate the milgrain detail is, much better than anything else I have seen (read in high-end stores). I don't think that you should be woried by the cast process. CvBs designs are really beautiful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi - pls come and live at my house; you are all sorts of useful.

I'm thinking of Caysie, DKJ, VC and EW. I dont know yet which way I will jump. I would love an EW piece....

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She does totally hand forge some pieces. Others are cast. I am having a bracelet made that will be totally hand forged but she is also sending me cads so I totally understand the design. Yay!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi do you know which model the engraved band from Schumacher is?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @ceg - I had thought I'd read somewhere that she did. Knowing she does both makes a lot of sense to me; her stuff is hugely beautiful.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SimoneD I love the drawing! Does she also do a top down drawing or just the side view? I would love to see the angle of the side stones from a top down view. I agree with mrs-b though about the kite shaped look. As long as the prongs are small without points on the top I think it would be just beautiful. I would want the six prong center to make the stone look round without any sharp edges or points. What kind of time frame are you looking at for completed ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SimoneD I love the drawing! Does she also do a top down drawing or just the side view? I would love to see the angle of the side stones from a top down view. I agree with mrs-b though about the kite shaped look. As long as the prongs are small without points on the top I think it would be just beautiful. I would want the six prong center to make the stone look round without any sharp edges or points. What kind of time frame are you looking at for completed ring?

I agree with this. I know Caysie's prongs are gorgeous and teensy-tiny, so I'm guessing she'll be able to avoid marring the shape in any way. I think it will be AWESOME, @SimoneDi !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsB, I know you have a few options you are considering, but I do think the Dahlia is a beautiful option if you go with a solitaire! I missed your post on page 6 saying you asked for a quote.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi - pls come and live at my house; you are all sorts of useful.

I'm thinking of Caysie, DKJ, VC and EW. I dont know yet which way I will jump. I would love an EW piece....

If that means playing with your amazing collection, I can totally move in lol

How about this for your projects - if the quote that Caysie comes back with works for you - get the Dahlia for your new amazing ACA! At almost 4.2ct you will be getting an amazing coverage and the Dahlia provides that extra "oomph" around the stone for some additional, yet subtile, coverage.
Place a um..not-so-expensive stone in your old setting to use as travel/place-in ring.
And think a bit more what you really want from the other designers;-)

She does totally hand forge some pieces. Others are cast. I am having a bracelet made that will be totally hand forged but she is also sending me cads so I totally understand the design. Yay!
I didn't realize that! Good to know and thanks for the correction!

@SimoneDi do you know which model the engraved band from Schumacher is?
Not sure on the model exactly, here is more info by the original poster: http://diamondbistro.com/category/2...-Schubach-Hand-Engraved-14k-Teo-band-575.html

She does do top drawings, but I don't have the latest yet, here is an old one showing one of the initial design that we were discussing:
IMG_6447.JPG

The prongs will be tiny, I am really not afraid of them modifying the overall shape of the ring.
Regarding timeframe...it was supposed to be done by now, but I decided to change stones and then that took forever, so I think, realistically, we are looking around Nov. I just want to be 100% sure on the design and I also know that Caysie is swamped, so I don't plan on giving her any extra pressure. I have been "ringless" since Feb, I can wait a little bit longer :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I've been away so am a little late to the party. But wooooohoooo!! Can't wait to see your new ACA and new setting!!:appl::appl::appl::dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs.b, what a gorgeous stone you selected!
I'm quite envious and will watch closely as you go forward with the setting process to house that beauty!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She does do top drawings, but I don't have the latest yet, here is an old one showing one of the initial design that we were discussing:
IMG_6447.JPG

FWIW, I actually really love the N/S/E/W prongs on this drawing... Caysie is so amazingly talented!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW, I actually really love the N/S/E/W prongs on this drawing... Caysie is so amazingly talented!
I actually keep going back to this drawing..I need to make up my mind soon. I think it is time for me to stop hijacking @mrs-b thread and start my own:oops2:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually keep going back to this drawing..I need to make up my mind soon. I think it is time for me to stop hijacking @mrs-b thread and start my own:oops2:

YAAAASSSSSS!!! This project deserves its own thread!! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I tend to agree with you on the NSEW prongs. It causes my eyes to focus too much on NS and I lose the roundness. The stone looks more vertically elongated. But it just goes to show you have very different each person can see the same thing. Others instead see it as emphasizing the roundness. It's all good. As long as it is comfortable to the eyes of the wearer, then that is what matters, right? :mrgreen2:
@SimoneDi the drawings that Caysie made are beautiful. I think her final setting will be out of this world and I am sure you will love it. I will chat more on your thread.

@mrs-b I am still not sure which direction you are headed. Did I miss something in the last couple pages? You are getting the 4 carat from WF. Were you leaning toward the 3 stone or the Dahlia? I love the idea of a three stone. Can't help it, especially with a big 4 carat. The bling factor would be out of this world. And if you get Victor to do it??? Just shoot me. If you go with the 4 carat, what size sides stones would you use? I also love Victor's three stone with 4 double prongs for the center stone. I have always loved this setting and it made me consider getting this one instead of the octagonal vintage setting I did get, but I just felt that pears would not work as well with my center. But I so love proportions of this ring.

VC three stone with pears.png

I can imagine it with substantial round sides, close to Tiffany proportions. Maybe 1.75-4.2ish-1.75. But that would depend on the dimensions of the stone, right? However, because I favor symmetry, I would probably go for two prongs on the sides stones, to mimic the four prong directions of the center stone. Or if there is a way for Victor to hide or minimize the setting on the sides stones, that would be great too.

I think the Dahlia would be fabulous for your stone if you are going for a more detailed solitaire. But I am really loving the three stone idea, if you are open to it, probably because I have always loved three stones. I'm scheming to figure out how to get one into my world. Maybe some day after the kids are out of school. :roll2:

Keep the random thoughts and ideas coming! This is so fun! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b is there any change of plans about shipping your stone out tomorrow due to the weather conditions in Houston? WF ships overnight so hopefully someone would be able to be there to sign for the stone providing FedEx is able to move through the city! Scary times down there I'm afraid!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b is there any change of plans about shipping your stone out tomorrow due to the weather conditions in Houston? WF ships overnight so hopefully someone would be able to be there to sign for the stone providing FedEx is able to move through the city! Scary times down there I'm afraid!
Please do check with whiteflash about shipping. I have a feeling everything will be delayed. It is a huge mess here! Caysie was supposed to ship something to me and I told her to hold off until it gets better here. You don't want your jewels in limbo!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please do check with whiteflash about shipping. I have a feeling everything will be delayed. It is a huge mess here! Caysie was supposed to ship something to me and I told her to hold off until it gets better here. You don't want your jewels in limbo!
Yep, both Houston airports are closed -- and the FAA is currently reporting that Hobby, the airport FedEx uses in Houston, is not expected to reopen until Wednesday morning.
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=iah&p=0

Are you having to assume the risk or is WF able to send you one of their labels for insured FedEx shipping of your stone? I don't know if their special FedEx account extends insurance coverage to the delivery of a consumer's outside stone to their office & the section of their website page re trading in non-Whiteflash diamonds doesn't say anything about this:
https://www.whiteflash.com/confidence/lifetime-trade-up-guarantee

Hope you and yours are doing OK, ceg!

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They didn't send me the shipping label due to the storm - they were all vacating the building when we spoke. So until they send me the label, I can't ship it anyway. I'm guessing they won't do that until it's safe for me to ship; either ay, I'll call them when I get the label and check with them re delivery. Personally, I'd rather leave it till next Monday at this point.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - here's where I'm at, at this point.

I've narrowed it down to three; the VC trilogy with pear sides, the Dahlia by CVB, and the graduated band pave solitaire, also by VC.

DH is talking about giving this to me for Christmas. CHRISTMAS!! He's buying it, so I can't argue with him, but that would be one heck of a wait.... I do have the odd ring or two to wear in the meantime, but waiting that long would hurt sooooooo much!!

Thank you all so much for helping out on this; the 'Munch's Scream' sensation I was having when I started this thread seems to have passed and it's become a lot more enjoyable at this point. :)

Just one last question. I want to wear a wedding band with this ring - whichever style it turns out to be. I don't mind a gap, but I don't want a wedder to be unable to get anywhere close to this ring. If anyone wanted to go through all three and post their impressions - even in yes/no format - as to which they think would work with a wedder, or could be modified to do so, I'd really appreciate it.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They didn't send me the shipping label due to the storm - they were all vacating the building when we spoke. So until they send me the label, I can't ship it anyway. I'm guessing they won't do that until it's safe for me to ship; either ay, I'll call them when I get the label and check with them re delivery. Personally, I'd rather leave it till next Monday at this point.
Thanks for clarifying, mrs-b, that WF is sending you one of their own FedEx labels for insured shipping of your stone -- I'm sure there are other PSers who will find that reassuring
1.gif

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom - here's where I'm at, at this point.

I've narrowed it down to three; the VC trilogy with pear sides, the Dahlia by CVB, and the graduated band pave solitaire, also by VC.

Just one last question. I want to wear a wedding band with this ring - whichever style it turns out to be. I don't mind a gap, but I don't want a wedder to be unable to get anywhere close to this ring. If anyone wanted to go through all three and post their impressions - even in yes/no format - as to which they think would work with a wedder, or could be modified to do so, I'd really appreciate it.

The Dahlia has a little donut, so I think you'd be able to put a WB pretty close to it.
Three stone rings are always tricky to me when pairing a WB... (just my $0.02) :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think that the graduated pave solitaire would be the hardest to pair with a wedding band.

I'm sure the Dahlia would work with one as would the three stone - depending on the wedding band. I finally ended up with the Tiffany channel set band with my three stone as it looked the best - guess a plain band would have worked too.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think that the graduated pave solitaire would be the hardest to pair with a wedding band.

I'm sure the Dahlia would work with one as would the three stone - depending on the wedding band. I finally ended up with the Tiffany channel set band with my three stone as it looked the best - guess a plain band would have worked too.

....aaaaand that's my first choice! ;(

Back to the drawing board.... :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results