shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! I'm lost in the land of re-setting!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I see that set, I want it. I'd change the heads holding the stones, but that whole set is just gorgeous to me. My only qualm is the metal decision. This set is perfect, but I am not sure I want to go back to yg.

Yes, the heads are a little too filigreed for me too. However, I love that the rings aren't flush fit. I really do love a little gap between the ering and wedding band!

I also wish I thought I had enough finger to do a third band like that but if it was uncomfortable, I know I wouldn't wear it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, too, MGR!!!

I don't have a problem with 4 prongs. They are usually thicker than 6-8. But I think Simone is having hers made with 6. Caysie, I'm sure, can think of a good way to do that!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS I think your stone would look beautiful set like that - I truly don't think those side stones would add so much umph as to be gaudy or anything. Would look gorgeous with your Legacy band too!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I see that set, I want it. I'd change the heads holding the stones, but that whole set is just gorgeous to me. My only qualm is the metal decision. This set is perfect, but I am not sure I want to go back to yg.

I think the mixed metal is what makes this set... it's so luxe! But, like you, I'm not ready to commit to yellow gold for my "serious jewelry" -- even though it looks best on my skin tone and I wear mostly yellow gold otherwise (watch, necklace, earrings).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this set!!!!! That yellow gold is to die for!!!!!!!!!! I would have it exactly as is! Stunning! !!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the side stones are not prong set - that's how you could factor in the six prong head without it all looking too prongy! Love it! How large is the center stone in the picture?

Which setting are you referring to, MGR? (I see a single prong connecting to the shank?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this set in YG. But I have a couple of bands already in platinum, so I really have to think it through when considering the metals.

I think Simone said she had decided on platinum, so I'll be anxious to see hers!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she meant this one didn't have a traditional 4 prong head for the little side stones.

Put me on the list of people who see that set and immediately want it! I like big side stones. And I like very small side stones. I'm just not a fan of 'middle' side stones. Blue Nile, bless their hearts, has a version similar to that 3 stone, but then a pave band. It looks lovely.

The thing I like about that 3 stone is that it looks so WEARABLE. Victor Canera, by the way, has a 6 prong 3 stone setting - but I can't say I'm a huge fan. I do like 4 prongs on 3 stone rings - but double prongs on the center stone, if it's large (more than about 1.5ct).

I think that setting has an 'ancient civilization' feel to it - ergo I think yellow gold - especially high karat yg - looks fabulous and very luxe. Incan. That sort of thing.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which setting are you referring to, MGR? (I see a single prong connecting to the shank?)

Yes, I see that one too but I meant that the side stones are not set in four prongs. I love the way the side stones are sort of 'floating' around the center stone!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, too, MGR!!!

I don't have a problem with 4 prongs. They are usually thicker than 6-8. But I think Simone is having hers made with 6. Caysie, I'm sure, can think of a good way to do that!

DS, I also like 4 prongs, but I think I prefer 6. I have deviated quite a bit(a lot) from this inspiration. Really, besides the small accent stones, everything is different. My 6 prong inspiration came from Frankie's old 3 stone ring (before she became a VC Emilya girl) and also from a ring that I was able to try on locally. Here is Frankie's old ring:
IMG_6425.JPG

I love that the whole appearance is less east-west and more "dynamic", if you would call it. I will post my design in progress soon!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this set in YG. But I have a couple of bands already in platinum, so I really have to think it through when considering the metals.

I think Simone said she had decided on platinum, so I'll be anxious to see hers!

I am sure it would be lovely in platinum as well!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg!!! I'm so excited for you!!! It's like my dream diamond!! I haven't read thru all the posts but I definitely agree that a temp setting would be great while you decide on your forever setting.

It's going to be spectacular!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love side stones with that single prong. And I love Victors settings where the inner prongs are removed. It really de-complicates things.

I Love Frankie's ring, and it was one of the first that inspired me re doing very small sides. I really do love that look. One thing to consider, @SimoneDi - the 6 prong effect, with tapering side stones, is that, if you remove all the detail, the overall shape is kite-shaped. The top and bottom prongs give it a north-west point, so that the shape starts at the band, then enlarges till hitting the north and south prongs on the center stone, then cuts back in till it hits the band on the other side. For me, the shape is too sharp, but I'm happy to be schooled on this!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, I think that set is made by the engraved wedder. It gives them a theme - direction, if you will - and makes it more than just diamonds set in prongs. Makes the set pretty.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - Yes ma'am! I'm finding this all sorts of useful! It's incredibly helpful to hear about other people on a similar journey with similar taste; the 'similar taste' part is hugely helpful!

DS, what does your wedding ring look like? Do you wear an eternity?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, I think that set is made by the engraved wedder. It gives them a theme - direction, if you will - and makes it more than just diamonds set in prongs. Makes the set pretty.

I think you're right, @mrs-b... that engraved band is awesome! ...but so is the ring and eternity. UGH! I NEED!! I NEED!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - Yes ma'am! I'm finding this all sorts of useful! It's incredibly helpful to hear about other people on a similar journey with similar taste; the 'similar taste' part is hugely helpful!

DS, what does your wedding ring look like? Do you wear an eternity?

DS's band is one of my faves! T&Co bead set.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding, @msop04 ?? Your set is stunning! Altho - this is from the woman who has a white gold set, a yellow gold set, a rose gold set and a travel set. So I hear ya!

ETA White metal - platinum - not white gold. Altho...do I have a white gold set? I'm not sure. I used to, but I think I sold it all.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you kidding, @msop04 ?? Your set is stunning! Altho - this is from the woman who has a white gold set, a yellow gold set, a rose gold set and a travel set. So I hear ya!

HA! Ikr?! If I had the cash, I'd have Caysie make me a an identical Jovyn in 18K YG and plat head. I'd probably wear the YG more, since I prefer gold with my skintone/hair. Damn, I seriously need therapy, ya'll... :(

...and thank you! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ADORE that engraved band and 100% agree that it makes that set. I have meant to have Victor make me one for ages but I haven't since I think the e-ring has to be decided first.

But yes, MrsB, my wedding band for the last 10 years has been the 2.2mm Tiffany Legacy band, bead set with milgrain edge. I do love it, but I think I am kind of like you in possibly needing multiple sets!!! I actually can wear the Legacy band with my antique asscher ring, so I am not totally opposed to changing metals for the AVR. I just wear the AVR the most and don't want to tire of a gold color. But I agree the richness of doing that ring in 18k would be fabulous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HA! Ikr?! If I had the cash, I'd have Caysie make me a an identical Jovyn in 18K YG and plat head. I'd probably wear the YG more, since I prefer gold with my skintone/hair. Damn, I seriously need therapy, ya'll... :(

...and thank you! :)

I hear ya! Why can't we have pop out heads so we can have multiple sets!

And msop and MrsB...I still love a beautiful modern round brilliant, too! That's why I have them in studs! But if I could have an mrb AND the AVR, then I could really diversify metals and styles! LOL! I love classic platinum and I'd love to have the more antique style set above with yg engraved band!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love a real three stone ring, though, with a little larger sides. I like too many things!!!!

Some people solve that dilemma by having multiple sets with simulants, but I just can't make myself do that. It feels kind of dishonest to me, although I have zero problem with people who make that choice.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd love a real three stone ring, though, with a little larger sides. I like too many things!!!!

Some people solve that dilemma by having multiple sets with simulants, but I just can't make myself do that. It feels kind of dishonest to me, although I have zero problem with people who make that choice.

Ditto this. I've thought about sims many times - but always only briefly. I love diamonds. Just diamonds. And my love is true and eternal. :mrgreen2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love side stones with that single prong. And I love Victors settings where the inner prongs are removed. It really de-complicates things.

I Love Frankie's ring, and it was one of the first that inspired me re doing very small sides. I really do love that look. One thing to consider, @SimoneDi - the 6 prong effect, with tapering side stones, is that, if you remove all the detail, the overall shape is kite-shaped. The top and bottom prongs give it a north-west point, so that the shape starts at the band, then enlarges till hitting the north and south prongs on the center stone, then cuts back in till it hits the band on the other side. For me, the shape is too sharp, but I'm happy to be schooled on this!
Never really thought about the "kite" shape, I just prefer that 6 prongs highlight the roundness of the main stone. Also, my very first 3 stone inspiration was with pear shaped diamond and for that reason I wanted to have 3 prongs on the sides as they slightly remind me of a pear shape. Another inspiration was @yssie three stone trellis, so overall I wanted a fluid design, no sharp corners or prongs. I am going for the most invisible tiny claw prongs. Ok, ok let me share what we have so far for the profile (I accept advice)
FullSizeRender.jpg

Also, I am so happy that you reached out to Caysie for the Dahlia! It is such a stunning setting!:love:

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, Simone! I love seeing Caysie's drawings...she is sooo good!

Are the sides in 4 prongs or 3? I might want little doughnuts under the sides as well, but it may be easier to tell from the CADs exactly how those sides are set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results