shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

jstarfireb|1290900145|2780597 said:
It sounds like a simple temporary setting may be a good way to go. One thing you might consider is a yellow gold bezel or semi-bezel solitaire for the temp setting, since she likes round shapes. She may even like a simple bezel well enough to keep it as it is without resetting it...you never know! Something like this is what comes to mind:
http://www.brilliantearth.com/Round-Bezel-Sapphire-Ring-Gold-BE137-SB6RD/

May I throw another jeweler into the mix? Check out Julia Kay Taylor. Her designs are very organic and often work in leaves or other natural motifs. She does custom orders through Etsy but has her own website too. The catch is that she's a one-woman operation and extremely busy, so your GF would have to wear the temp setting for a while until Julia can work you into her schedule.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juliakaytaylor
http://juliakaytaylor.com/

Regarding the temp setting, that would definitely work, and I could probably just take my stone to a local jeweler around here to be set, right? Although I'd really, really prefer not to go this route. I feel like the chances are high that she'd want to stick with the temp setting, rather than going with a nicer, more expensive setting. She'd feel like she wouldn't want to to inconvenience me, and cost me any more money, than she already has. To re-tap the car analogy well, it'd be like buying someone a honda civic in the short term while you're trying to decide between a ferrari or a porsche, and then they say "yeah but the civic runs just fine, and gets better gas mileage!"

As for the JKT rings, they're nice but nothing really stood out for me. I'm still not crazy about bezels, but if I'm going to do a bezel at least give me some side stones and leaves, etc. to look at. Sounds like she's doing a strong business, though:

**CUSTOM ORDERS**
January-April of 2011 are fully booked.
I am now scheduling custom orders for May - December 2011.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Steve-You are fab (and hilarious btw with the "guess who got engaged recently":) Your GF is very lucky. My DH designed my ring (also sapphire) all by himself and it was a suprise. I :love: him and I :love: my ring. it's not 100% exactly what I would have picked (though he was very close) but it is very "me" and I wouldn't change anything on it for the world!!!

I think the Mevona Poppy is :love: :love: :love: :love: and would look amazing! But, I've never seen it in person...

I also love the last ring EB posted from MC2 and Green Lake I'm sure would design an amazing ring for you. Also, what about something like this:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5404

I really :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: he poppy though :bigsmile:

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

stepcutgirl|1290901954|2780616 said:
I would check out the Sholdt semi bezels. There is one that is plain and if I had a diamond engagement ring that would hands down be my setting, but likr you, I don't. there is another one that has diamonds in the band leading up to the semi bezel, DT had it for a while if you can track down the threads. I LOVE Sholdts!

ETA-If there is no Sholdt dealer around you they will send them to a jeweler local to you for you to look at. This is what I had to do.

Are you talking about this one?

R237-1D.jpg

Or maybe without the side stones? I was considering it before I got heavy into more "organic" looks. There are also a couple in the "Vashon" collection which sound like what you're talking about.

http://www.sholdtdesign.com/Rings.htm

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290985978|2781205 said:
MakingTheGrade|1290984966|2781188 said:
Haha, awww. It kind of sounds like she's just trying to make it easy on you in a way by giving you a "anything is ok!" kind of sign. Which oddly enough just makes it harder!

Guess halos are in then? I'm not sure if you got the impression that she honestly likes halos or if it was a "huh? halos? Sure, whatever honey" kind of comment.

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't go the halo route if you said she a) isn't into a lot of bling and b) doesn't want anything too big. Even a delicate halo will add some *size,* so unless she was like, "LOVE this! This is it!" then meh. I'd go more simple, but with diamond accents.

ETA: Re: The width of the ring at the top of the page, it does look wide. Depending on the size of the diamond, maybe 6mm or more. Depends on the length of her fingers, really. Her casual ring would suggest she doesn't mind a more "chunky" style, but what about pairing a wedding band with it? That's going to add some extra mm, if she wants a wedding ring.

Yeah, good point. I think with a ring that's more much more sparkly (i.e. sapphires and other precious gems!) than her casual ring, I can't get away with a thicker band. I'm thinking of something a little more dainty, at least in the band, where the sapphire is the widest part, then it quickly tapers down to a normal width ring band. But then again, maybe that's just my traditional side speaking again...

Oh, and her fingers are short. :)

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1290990422|2781272 said:
Problem is that McTeigue & McClelland are pretty dang pricey. And I have no idea if they work with outside stones. But I think that they are definitely worth looking into.

BTW, have you seen the Maevona ring yet? I'm interested to know what you think of it.

First, thanks everyone for the support and encouragement! This is a tough process at times, and it certainly tries the patience. At times I feel really excited and motivated, and other times despair of ever getting all the little pieces in place. And the one person I've come to depend on when the going gets tough, I can't talk to about this. :( So, I just wanted to say thanks again for all your wisdom, help and patience!

In regards to McTeigue & McClelland being pricey, I've emailed them about that and also to ask about whether they accept center stones. The good news is that one of their retailer is in my area, about 15 minutes away, so I could pop in this Saturday if I wanted to see some of their pieces (although the only thing they have on their website is a diamond bracelet).

As for the MaeVona Poppy, they supposedly shipped it today, it will be in tomorrow, and I've got an appt on Wednesday to look at it. I'll post back after I see it!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290991160|2781292 said:
Thank you, Freke! :)) Photos have more impact than links, esp. in a thread that's four pages. The ones you posted are my favorites too, especially the first two. Steve, if you're at all curious, here's a side view for the second ring:

mc2side.jpg

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Maevona in real life!

ETA: Maebelle, it's from McTeigue & McClelland. Isn't it beautiful?

Yeah, this ring is beautiful. Do you think it would look as sharp with a round blue sapphire, instead of (what looks like) a cushion cut green?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1291084296|2782307 said:
I ADORE the green one too--I think the blue, yg and plat (guessing?) would be an amazing color combo for sure--I always love yellow and blue together.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. And hopefully TGal can stop by and give us an idea of what an Mc2 ring would cost...I think she got a quote not long ago...

As of March of last year, they worked with outside stones and did custom. The first ring (white gold) you posted is similar to the one I got quoted. I'm sure prices have gone up as it's been nearly two years, but at the time it was in the mid 6K range for that setting - for a 1.5 ct oval sapphire. I don't think the one I looked at had diamonds, but I honestly don't remember.

ETA, sorry, I said white gold, but I do believe it's platinum and that's what I was quoted for. I have the email, so I know the price is correct, but I don't have the link to the original setting I was asking about in the email I dug up.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Novel|1291069871|2782086 said:
Half bezel is better than full bezel, definitely, but I think I still like prongs better. It's hard for me to shake the "bezel = class ring" association in my mind, plus I'm so used to seeing e-rings with prongs that I have a tougher time viewing a sapphire ring as an e-ring when it has a bezel.

EDIT: Yeah, your suggestion about contacting them is a good one. I'll send Green Lake the ones I like, and photo of my sapphire, and see what they come up with. I've already got a local jewelry store contacting MaeVona to get the Poppy ring in, so I can see it IRL.

Steve, I'm (also) interested to see what you think of the Poppy IRL. I saw it this weekend by chance and wasn't a huge fan of the asymmetry of it, which I felt like didn't flow as well in person as I thought it would. I should say, though, that I was blown away by the beauty of a lot of her settings and would urge you to look at some others of hers if any appeal to you.

If you like prongs more, I'd recommend checking out the Eorsa with side diamonds. My sister actually mocked it up for me with a sapphire this weekend (my own start of a search, don't ask), so its below. The prongs are much more delicate IRL. And they do yellow gold, too, if you still think she'd like that more. I think the profile is the best part.

And as everyone else has said, the effort you're putting into this is amazing.

edited to make the quote look like one.[/quote]

This is cool! It definitely looks better to me with the extra pave. When I looked at it plain, it didn't do much for me:
http://www.maevona.com/bridal/3/Eorsa

But I found this picture with the pave (same as you posted above):
http://amidonjewelers.com/index.php/shop-online/maevona-engagment-ring-eriskay-m4a4-eri-14.html

and here's a video of it, looking even better still:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=391271299020

Just to clarify my opinion, though: I like this, but it doesn't blow me away. So, better than most but I still like the Poppy and a couple of the M&M rings better.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Wow, what a beautiful stone and what great suggestions. I love the 3 stone half-bezel!

Don't be put off if the rings aren't yellow gold, or if you only like parts of the different designs. That's the beauty of going custom, and honestly I think you get more for your money and it's a better value in the end. I'm most familiar with Greenlake Jewelry Works but any company that gives you personalized time and lots of visual feedback as you go through the design process would be just as good. A good designer will give you a series of options to choose from while incorporating all your specific ideas. They'll provide you with sketches and CAD drawings to help you put everything together. From there, you can make as many changes as you need to and in the end you'll have something totally unique. This can be done long distance and in many cases, the cost is more affordable than ready made.

I love so many of the inspiration pieces people posted. It makes me think I may have a similar style to your ff. In fact, I always used to think I'd want a simple dark blue sapphire e-ring, although I ended up choosing a diamond. My e-ring is pretty sleek and modern looking, but my wedding band is more rustic and organic. Here is my ring and it's thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-half-bezel-solitaire.141111/

100_3332.JPG

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Cookie|1290564734|2777504 said:
How about something like this? They are from http://www.annmckaystudio.com .

Ann_McKay_Studio.jpg
1137A%20arch_0.jpg
1213A.jpg

Thanks Cookie, these are some of my favorites from her collection, but I still can't get past the bezel look. It feels like I'm staring into the headlights of a 1930s era car... :))

SuperStock_1370R-4847.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Fly Girl|1290700283|2779073 said:
Steve - I'm with MovieZombie in that I don't normally wear traditional jewelry. I prefer unique and custom. I love the turquoise and coral ring. I also wear turquoise rings. When I look over my favorite pieces I rarely find a prong. They are nearly always bright and colorful and bezeled.

When I got my diamond ring upgrade several years ago, I wanted a colored diamond center stone. These were difficult for my jeweler to source, so I ended up with a 1.5 ct colorless diamond. We compromised with colored diamond sidestones. I wanted the swooping half bezel look, so I worked with the designer and this is where we ended up. I do not wear this ring with a wedding band, since it can stand alone as both e-ring and wedding ring. When I do athletic activities I do not wear this ring. I have a 2 mm plain metal wedding band that I wear instead. My ring size is 7.5.

I love the sapphire half bezel ring that was posted above. Note that with the size of sapphire you have, it will end up shaped more like my ring on top. I wear my ring a lot in winter since it never snags and the stone is set low so it fits under gloves. The channel set side stones are worry free. I would definitely go channel set or bezeled for side stones, because these are sturdier designs.

I'd go with the Green Lake design team and see what you can come up with. I nearly did that myself for a RHR several years ago, but held off due to financial issues. I am a proponent of not surprising the lady with the ring, but to involve her in the design. An option for you might be to propose with the sapphire before pulling the final trigger with Green Lake, and giving her a chance to review your proposed design.

You have a gorgeous sapphire. I would be thrilled to get a colored stone like that for my engagement ring. Good luck.

Fly Girl, your ring is gorgeous! I love the way the diamond is sparkling in the sun! The half bezel "works" for me, in this case. Do you have a link to the thread with photos, cause I'd love to see what it looks like from the sides.

1Colors4171a.JPG

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Bella_mezzo|1291085738|2782328 said:
Steve-You are fab (and hilarious btw with the "guess who got engaged recently":) Your GF is very lucky. My DH designed my ring (also sapphire) all by himself and it was a suprise. I :love: him and I :love: my ring. it's not 100% exactly what I would have picked (though he was very close) but it is very "me" and I wouldn't change anything on it for the world!!!

I think the Mevona Poppy is :love: :love: :love: :love: and would look amazing! But, I've never seen it in person...

I also love the last ring EB posted from MC2 and Green Lake I'm sure would design an amazing ring for you. Also, what about something like this:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5404

I really :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: he poppy though :bigsmile:

Wow, that's a whole lotta :love: ... thanks Bella! :)

So, I like that BGD ring you posted a lot. However, my concerns are: 1) it might be a bit "much" for my gf, who's looking for a not too big ring; and 2) the stones might end up going too far down the sides for a size 4.5 ring. I hadn't really thought of that 2nd point until recently, when someone pointed out to me that with a small finger, any more than 3 stones of noticeable size would be lost between the fingers. So at that point I ruled out a 5 stone setting, and this beautiful (9 stone???) setting probably needs to go too, for that same reason.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

TravelingGal|1291088740|2782389 said:
FrekeChild|1291084296|2782307 said:
I ADORE the green one too--I think the blue, yg and plat (guessing?) would be an amazing color combo for sure--I always love yellow and blue together.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. And hopefully TGal can stop by and give us an idea of what an Mc2 ring would cost...I think she got a quote not long ago...

As of March of last year, they worked with outside stones and did custom. The first ring (white gold) you posted is similar to the one I got quoted. I'm sure prices have gone up as it's been nearly two years, but at the time it was in the mid 6K range for that setting - for a 1.5 ct oval sapphire. I don't think the one I looked at had diamonds, but I honestly don't remember.

ETA, sorry, I said white gold, but I do believe it's platinum and that's what I was quoted for. I have the email, so I know the price is correct, but I don't have the link to the original setting I was asking about in the email I dug up.

Thanks for checking on that for me! My stone is a 1.67 ct round sapphire, so the setting would be pretty comparable, I'd guess.

I think if it's in that price range, it's worth considering.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

I know, I am on a major :love: kick tonight:) I think you are definitely right about size, but if you go the custom route, you can send several settings you like (possibly including the BGD) and let your designer send you ideas that will work on your GF's tiny finger. I wear a size 7 so I don't have that problem :bigsmile:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

steve, well, yes, but he has a vault of family heriloom stones to call upon....and HIGH QUALITY w/o comparison in the real world stones to select from that vault. sigh....

ok, i give up: your girl friend is wanting to be engaged and YOU have educated yourself re what constitues a good if not great sapphire. sigh. Sigh. SIGH. personally, i'm liking some of the suggetions in this thread ove his HEIRLOOM.

MoXo

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291088302|2782380 said:
E B|1290991160|2781292 said:
Thank you, Freke! :)) Photos have more impact than links, esp. in a thread that's four pages. The ones you posted are my favorites too, especially the first two. Steve, if you're at all curious, here's a side view for the second ring:

mc2side.jpg

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Maevona in real life!

ETA: Maebelle, it's from McTeigue & McClelland. Isn't it beautiful?

Yeah, this ring is beautiful. Do you think it would look as sharp with a round blue sapphire, instead of (what looks like) a cushion cut green?

I will probably have time to Photoshop this today.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291091110|2782431 said:
Fly Girl|1290700283|2779073 said:
Steve - When I got my diamond ring upgrade several years ago, I wanted a colored diamond center stone. These were difficult for my jeweler to source, so I ended up with a 1.5 ct colorless diamond. We compromised with colored diamond sidestones. I wanted the swooping half bezel look, so I worked with the designer and this is where we ended up. I do not wear this ring with a wedding band, since it can stand alone as both e-ring and wedding ring. When I do athletic activities I do not wear this ring. I have a 2 mm plain metal wedding band that I wear instead. My ring size is 7.5.

I love the sapphire half bezel ring that was posted above. Note that with the size of sapphire you have, it will end up shaped more like my ring on top. I wear my ring a lot in winter since it never snags and the stone is set low so it fits under gloves. The channel set side stones are worry free. I would definitely go channel set or bezeled for side stones, because these are sturdier designs.

You have a gorgeous sapphire. I would be thrilled to get a colored stone like that for my engagement ring. Good luck.

Fly Girl, your ring is gorgeous! I love the way the diamond is sparkling in the sun! The half bezel "works" for me, in this case. Do you have a link to the thread with photos, cause I'd love to see what it looks like from the sides.
Thank you, Steve. I have a thread in Show Me the Bling called "Playing in the Sun". The link is: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/playing-in-the-sun.94757/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/playing-in-the-sun.94757/[/URL]

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Ok, the shape is wonky because the ring is at a 45 degree angle, but I tried and at least your color is in there! I think the color combo is great!

blue_m%20copy.gif

I may still be pulling for the Poppy though. I love the pear side stones, as opposed to this one, where the only other stones are the melee

E B

Ideal_Rock

Mabelle, that looks great! I think the blue is even more striking than the green, but blue is my favorite color. It really pops against the gold and the platinum head/prongs.

You've got some great options in this thread, Steve! Can't wait to hear what McT & McC quote (and what you think of the Poppy).

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Just heard back from M&M:
Hello Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry regarding our work. We occasionally work with other peoples gems if they are appropriate for our designs and of a quality that justifies the time and cost of our pieces. We do request that clients wishing to have us set their stones, make an appointment and visit us here in our Great Barrington, MA studios. Currently we cannot begin new custom projects until after the first of the year. Working time from date of order is approximately 12 weeks.

I will send you pricing information per your request in the next few days.

Best,

John Reynolds
McTeique & McClelland
597 South Main Street
Great Barrington, MA 01230
413-528-6262
800-956-2826
www.mc2jewels.com

So even if the cost doesn't rule them out, I'd say the timing and requirement to drive up to some random town in MA does. Unless I wanted them to source the stone, and have it some time next spring.

Question: are they all like this? Cause I didn't realize I needed to allow 4-5 months after I figured out which designer and setting I wanted!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Great Barrington is a gorgeous little town in the heart of the Berkshires. You could book a weekend at one of the famous B&Bs there and visit Mc2 on the sly. 12 weeks doesn't seem a long time for a hand-made custom job. I saw the other day that julia kay taylor is now taking orders for the second half of 2011m the first half being completely booked already.
btw, I think that ring is really great and your sapphire exquisite.

E B

Ideal_Rock

It does seem like a lot of time and effort, esp. depending upon where you live. Is driving up to visit them in person a must? And is there any way it can take less time for a rush fee (depending on cost)? That's probably what I'd ask if the answer was no otherwise. Nothing to lose, right? :cheeky:

Do you have a few top contenders otherwise?

ETA: VapidLapid's idea may be a good one if you're somewhat local. Making a weekend out of it might be nice!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

um, steve, you're also up against a deadline you set......just like a 1000 other guys who are trying to do the same thing or wanting something special for the special person in their life as a holiday gift. probably more like 100,000 guys or more :errrr:

12 week wait for a custom job is reasonable but i'm guessing it could even take longer. also reasonable for a custom piece to fit your custom stone.

making the drive to get what you want is not unreasonable either.

sometimes those of us with what we think are reasonable and unassuming "wants" find things have to give somewhere.

my spess came from the east coast from a vendor i've never met but corresonded with via the phone and the internet. he sent the stone to me and i loved it from the moment i saw it. it took 6 months to "commit" to a design and included in that 6 months was the search to find someone who would work with my design ideas and 22k gold. after i found that person who was then in los altos, california, my stone was sent to hawaii where the design was implemented...also by an artisan i never met and only briefly talked with on the phone. it was 4 or 5 months before i saw the finished ring!

if you don't trust someone to deliver your stone, make the drive. the peace of mind could well be worth it. but if you're going to do that, why not make it part of a romantic weekend getaway?

MoZo

ps geez, i'm loving that mock up with the blue sapphire against all that gold that EB did!!!!! and i love the white gold prongs in contrast to the yellow gold shank....really makes the sapphire stand out even more!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good job w/the photoshop maebelle! I think it would look spectacular!

For my ring, I sent the stone in November and got the ring in February and it was not quite 3 months. (it was sent to Thailand tho, so it had crazy shipping time over and back) Still, I don't think 3-4 months is a big deal. If you don't want to wait, you could look for something that is stocked.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SteveNeedsARing|1291091582|2782437 said:
So, I like that BGD ring you posted a lot. However, my concerns are: 1) it might be a bit "much" for my gf, who's looking for a not too big ring; and 2) the stones might end up going too far down the sides for a size 4.5 ring. I hadn't really thought of that 2nd point until recently, when someone pointed out to me that with a small finger, any more than 3 stones of noticeable size would be lost between the fingers. So at that point I ruled out a 5 stone setting, and this beautiful (9 stone???) setting probably needs to go too, for that same reason.

I just ventured into this thread and was thrilled to see my custom ring from BGD mentioned. You are right Steve, the side stones would probably be a bit lost on a 4.5 finger. My ring size is 6 and part of the sidess are hidden by my finger. However, even tho I am biased, I think the setting would look spectacular with a sapphire center stone and so what if you can't see all of the sidestones, more bling is a good thing. :praise:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Another Threadjack. Woah, pricescope gets scouted for google a LOT! I was trying to find a picture of the MaeVona poppy in yellow gold. Type in "MaeVona poppy" in google images actually sends you to all the pictures in this thread!!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I went to see the MaeVona in person at a local jeweler (Quest in Fairfax) on Wed. night. She used a blue permanent marker to color the center stone blue, so I could get a better idea of what it would look like with my sapphire. She said yes, they can do YG for the band, but she agreed with me that sapphires generally look better in platinum. She said about 6 weeks is how long it would take to make the ring, which is good news.

So, what do you guys think? It looks nice, but I'm not super impressed. I think I've figured out that settings look a lot more subtle and simple IRL. Not sure how to change my online ring shopping to account for that, though...

MaeVona.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

maebelle|1291162129|2783491 said:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Lily-Split-Shank/12795589_XX3pg#914522763_xy3U8

This ring by jbeg is very close, and she'll customize without you having to travel Massachusetts :)

Are you saying that she could completely change this ring for me, so it looks just like the M&M ring I like? Are jewelers allowed to copy each other's designs for custom jobs, or is there some sort of trademark/copyright on that?

Because this ring looks OK to me, but if she could make it look like the green/gold/platinum/diamond ring from M&M, then we may have a winner! :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

It doesnt stand out much or say, "wow this is special". it looks like it could have come from K

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results