shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

like another poster, i should stay out of this....but here i go anyway: i think your taste is much more tradtional than that of your girlfirend.

the way you described your girlfriend is how i'd describe me....and i do not like wearing jewelry that i can and will see often on other people. the ring you showed us that you already know she loves is NOT in any way shape or form traditional.....and to me looks as if she also enjoys wearing jewelry that is unique to her and won't be seen on others.

the photoshopped picture with the sapphire in place is about as good a compromise as any between your traditional desires and her desire to be unique. you can have one made if your stone won't fit their setting. its organic. its freeflowing. its certainly a three stone ring but done in a unique way. in all honesty its the only one of all the pictues/links provided that i'd even consider if i were you.

MoZo

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had this 3 ring saved in one of my folders because I thought it was such a lovely but unique and quirky design. It has sort of an organic feel, but not so untraditional that people won't recognize it as fine jewelery.

3 stone ring.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I think we are possibly looking at this the wrong way; a designer's job is to think of things that the layman wouldn't think of.

He/she can take a look at all the things you like, pictures, ideas, etc., and come up with something completely original. That's their job, and talent.

Maybe you should focus on finding a jewelry designer that you generally like the style of and let them do their thing? They'll give you cad renderings, etc.

But then again, I REALLY LOVE MTG's suggestion! :love: Gorgeous!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock

movie zombie|1290562971|2777452 said:
like another poster, i should stay out of this....but here i go anyway: i think your taste is much more tradtional than that of your girlfirend.

the way you described your girlfriend is how i'd describe me....and i do not like wearing jewelry that i can and will see often on other people. the ring you showed us that you already know she loves is NOT in any way shape or form traditional.....and to me looks as if she also enjoys wearing jewelry that is unique to her and won't be seen on others.

the photoshopped picture with the sapphire in place is about as good a compromise as any between your traditional desires and her desire to be unique. you can have one made if your stone won't fit their setting. its organic. its freeflowing. its certainly a three stone ring but done in a unique way. in all honesty its the only one of all the pictues/links provided that i'd even consider if i were you.

MoZo

I think movie zombie really hit the nail on the head here. Can I throw another option in to the mix? I know James Meyer isn't accepting outside stones but I believe his son, Caleb, does. Have you considered something like this?

990.jpeg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

MoZo

I understand your point, and I especially agree with this: "she also enjoys wearing jewelry that is unique to her and won't be seen on others." In a normal jewelry situation, I would definitely look off the beaten path for a ring she would like. But this isn't normal jewelry, it's an engagement ring, so I thought in this situation women preferred something a little more classic and timeless, rather than avant garde, organic, or otherwise eclectic. I could be totally wrong about this; and I'm definitely open to other ideas. But my current approach is to strike a balance between safe and boring (e.g. a plain platinum band with a sapphire solitaire, which isn't even that typical because it's a sapphire), and a more unique, cooler ring that she will really love. But maybe that's just me being overly traditional.

At first, I was trying to achieve uniqueness by including engraving, pave and channel set diamonds on the setting, along with side stones (2 or 4), and I eventually realized that it was making the ring too "busy", rather than unique in a way that could be appreciated without looking up close at it. I'm cool with pushing the boundary of what I'm considering, so I'll take a look at Green Lake and Caleb Mayer's stuff, and try to keep an open mind.

I honestly think that if she were the one looking at these websites, she'd be struggling almost as much as me to figure out what she wanted. Maybe she'd be a little quicker to rule out some designs, but it would still be a big challenge. I've known her for over 5 1/2 years, and decisions like this are really tough for her. Part of my gift to her is doing the "hard part".

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

DianaBanana|1290564274|2777482 said:

MoZo

I think movie zombie really hit the nail on the head here. Can I throw another option in to the mix? I know James Meyer isn't accepting outside stones but I believe his son, Caleb, does. Have you considered something like this?

I am about 99.9% sure Caleb does not accept customers' own stones.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

DianaBanana|1290564405|2777491 said:

Yeah, I kinda like that one, as well as this one which is very similar, but the one aspect that I'm not crazy about is the bezel. I feel that it hides my view of the gem(s) from the side, and I prefer when I can see more of the stone than just the top of it.

http://www.calebmeyer.com/detail.php?id=87728

2317-C-220.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1290560840|2777404 said:
That could work, I like the look of it! It's got some diamonds, but they seem fairly small so they won't overpower my sapphire; the ring has a quirky design; (hopefully it would still be comfortable to wear!) but it's not too far "out there", I don't think. The only thing that gives me pause is on the "Detail" tab where it says "Stone sizes: approx 1.0ct-1.50ct"; mine is 1.67ct. But that's "approx" 1.5ct, so it's certainly worth asking them about it.

Thanks for helping me with the photoshop!

Steve, if I'm remembering the way this goes correctly, a 1 ct sapphire is going to be smaller than a 1 ct diamond (because diamonds are more dense? someone correct me if I'm wrong) This means that your 1.67 sapphire will probably be within the size range, which was given for diamonds.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Caleb doesn't accept outside stones, which is how I ended up taking the ring design I so desperately wanted and having an inspiration piece made instead.

I love the Maevona w/the sapph shopped in, and MTG's pic is beautiful as well. Both different w/out being "out there". Also, when Maevona's description said it fits X ct of diamond, you'd need to go by the mm size of your sapphire, b/c the specific gravity is different than that of a diamond, so the sapph could have higher actual ct weight than the diamond but still be the same size. (I think I have that right??)

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Wow, Green Lake has a LOT of rings on their site; the "Organic" collection alone is over 250 rings! Man, I'm starting the miss the days when a guy just had to climb the tallest mountain, slay a dragon or duel to the death if he wanted to marry a woman.

Anyway, here are some Green Lake settings I like.

Very straightforward 3 stone design, but the band has some neat things going on:
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=41290

Cool, like this a lot, but too far out there for an e-ring? or too big for a small finger?
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=51283

Kind of similar to the one above, except the side view of the center stone is more open:
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=51796

Not too much in the way of side stones, but I really like the designs on the setting:
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=56325

41290.jpg

51283 (3).jpg

51796 (2).jpg

56325.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1290573957|2777764 said:
Wow, Green Lake has a LOT of rings on their site; the "Organic" collection alone is over 250 rings! Man, I'm starting the miss the days when a guy just had to climb the tallest mountain, slay a dragon or duel to the death if he wanted to marry a woman.

Anyway, here are some Green Lake settings I like.

Very straightforward 3 stone design, but the band has some neat things going on:
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=41290

Cool, like this a lot, but too far out there for an e-ring? or too big for a small finger?
http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=51283

Kind of similar to the one above, except the side view of the center stone is more open:

Not too much in the way of side stones, but I really like the designs on the setting:

All of those are very lovely settings, although the second one reads more as a band than as an engagement ring to me. All of those seem more in line with the ring that your GF loves than the more traditional and classic rings further up this thread. However, it also seems to me that you are drowning in suggestions and ideas without really stopping to think about what your GF really likes, and design elements that speak to her. You've mentioned that she has certain pieces of jewelry that she wears often. Take a look at those, and see if there are any recurring themes. Most people tend to be attracted to similar themes over and over. For example, in the ring you posted that she had admired, the stones are asymmetrical, and there is a little swirly detail at the bottom of the picture: does a lot of her jewelry have swirls? Does it tend to be asymmetrical? Does she like combinations of colors? And so on.

What "most women" like is pretty irrelevant. Bottom line is that you have to please her. We all have strong opinions on CS, but you know your FF the best. JMHO.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Re: GreenLake: THANK YOU, I love those rings too.
I think you will like what they could come up with.....
:love: :love: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, anything from the Meyers are out as they do not accept “outside” stones. At this point, what we like does not matter and it comes down to how well you understand your fiancé’s tastes. You’ve narrowed it down to striking a balance between traditional and a little out there (organic, modern, one of a kind), so the final decision is yours, of course. I agree with Aoife you have to narrow down the details of what you are looking for. Does she like a specific theme? Does she like swirls or hard edges? Does she like curves or clean lines?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Steve's point that he has spent so much time finding the perfect stone, that hiding it in a bezel is kind of a downer.

Is there a jeweler that does prong set stones in a unique setting?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Karina Mattei does a lot of bezel work but also does some more organic looking prongs, like the sapphire midway down the page here http://www.karinamattei.com/index.php?page=j1&n=4&s=4 (sorry, can't save pics there).

There is also Constance Gildea http://www.cwgildea.com/wedding_bands/1/. I don't know what her policy is about outside stones, but some of her work is below.

Also, Charles Perella does vintage-y rings with prongs, like the one below - bottom (http://www.clay-pot.com/CHARLES-PERRELLA-Fishtail-Diamond-Solitaire.html)

clay pot 1_novel.jpg

constance gildea_novel.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Aoife|1290577355|2777821 said:
All of those are very lovely settings, although the second one reads more as a band than as an engagement ring to me. All of those seem more in line with the ring that your GF loves than the more traditional and classic rings further up this thread. However, it also seems to me that you are drowning in suggestions and ideas without really stopping to think about what your GF really likes, and design elements that speak to her. You've mentioned that she has certain pieces of jewelry that she wears often. Take a look at those, and see if there are any recurring themes. Most people tend to be attracted to similar themes over and over. For example, in the ring you posted that she had admired, the stones are asymmetrical, and there is a little swirly detail at the bottom of the picture: does a lot of her jewelry have swirls? Does it tend to be asymmetrical? Does she like combinations of colors? And so on.

Good questions. I parked myself in front of her necklace/bracelet tree, and tried to be observant as possible. Here's what I came up with:

Looking at her many necklaces, and a few bracelets & bangles, I see that she likes colorful jewelry. Her favorite colors in jewelry appear to be brown, gold, teal blue and dark red, in that order. She likes scarves and headbands, and most of hers are very colorful. There aren't a lot of designs on her jewelry, but a necklace she bought this summer when we were in VT has a pewter maple leaf on it. A couple of years ago I gave her a necklace from tiffany's (my idea, not hers) which she didn't like very much, so she took it back and got a silver chain with a dragonfly on it. I think she mostly wears jewelry that is colorful or makes her look good (compliments her features), rather than to make a fashion statement. Most of her jewelry is necklaces, and most of them are comprised of plastic beads. Does that answer your question?

Just another thought I had -- she's pretty active athletically, with triathlons, soccer and hiking, so I should make sure the ring doesn't stick out too much, or have any edges which could easily catch on something.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1290638609|2778589 said:
Good questions. I parked myself in front of her necklace/bracelet tree, and tried to be observant as possible. Here's what I came up with:

Looking at her many necklaces, and a few bracelets & bangles, I see that she likes colorful jewelry. [b]Her favorite colors in jewelry appear to be brown, gold, teal blue and dark red, in that order.[/b] She likes scarves and headbands, and most of hers are very colorful. There aren't a lot of designs on her jewelry, but a necklace she bought this summer when we were in VT has a pewter maple leaf on it. A couple of years ago I gave her a necklace from tiffany's (my idea, not hers) which she didn't like very much, so she took it back and got a silver chain with a dragonfly on it. I think she mostly wears jewelry that is colorful or makes her look good (compliments her features), rather than to make a fashion statement. Most of her jewelry is necklaces, and most of them are comprised of plastic beads. Does that answer your question?

Just another thought I had -- she's pretty active athletically, with triathlons, soccer and hiking, so I should make sure the ring doesn't stick out too much, or have any edges which could easily catch on something.

It sounds as though you have some very good information there, as well as a strong warning.

You've spent a couple of pages on this thread considering styles that would be right at home in Tiffany's: I suggest you stop considering halos, pave, or anything else that is likely to elicit the same reaction from her that the Tiffany necklace you chose from her received. If she didn't like it then, she's unlikely to have suddenly changed her mind.

You've already covered the "colorful" requirement in the beautiful sapphire you bought. You've looked at some designs that incorporate flowers; there are also some that have stylized or literal representations of leaves, butterflies, dragonflies, or twigs. Green Lake has quite a few of those, as do some etsy artisans. Have you thought about having another colored stone as side stones, rather than diamonds? Based on what you said she likes, you could put red or gold side stones, which might please her more than diamonds.

So far as the athletic bit goes, she should not be wearing this ring for any of those activities. Both my daughters are athletes, and neither of them wear their wedding jewelry for anything athletic other than walking the dogs. There's too much risk of damaging their rings, or, in the case of soccer, damaging someone else.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I think going for a low bezel setting is a good idea with regard to her athleticism, but definitely avoid going for something that looks too band-like and undelicate. I've just noticed (in my experience as volunteer e-ring consultant for a few friends) that a lot of men gravitate toward these styles, whereas women don't, as a rule...

Here are a couple from SingleStone that I really like.

Have you consider Mark Morrell?

fantasy_rosecut_singlestone.jpg

reflecty_shank_baguette_singlestone.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

I really like this semi-bezel. It incorporates being able the see the stone and her being athletic. I wish it had just a tad less of the extra flowers, and that the semi-bezel was a little more delicate. then it'd be perfect. Ask about their custom prices, tell them the favorites of theirs you have, and the info about your gf and see what they come up with!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Aoife|1290640577|2778617 said:
You've already covered the "colorful" requirement in the beautiful sapphire you bought. You've looked at some designs that incorporate flowers; there are also some that have stylized or literal representations of leaves, butterflies, dragonflies, or twigs. Green Lake has quite a few of those, as do some etsy artisans. Have you thought about having another colored stone as side stones, rather than diamonds? Based on what you said she likes, you could put red or gold side stones, which might please her more than diamonds.
OK, let me see if I can put your suggestions into practice. Let's take with this one from Green Lake:

First off, it's got flowers and vines. And it appears to be low set, which makes me happy.

Second, you'll note from the photo that it appears to have 2 tiny side stones on either side. The description makes reference to them as well:

For a round Moissanite with Carved Flower on Each Side of Center Stone with (2) Moissanites Bead Set in Center of Flower and (2) Moissanites Flush Set in Filigree Curls with engraved curls on the side face

Are they too small to even notice, that far down, especially on a size 4.5 ring? Maybe. But I could drop 4 different stones into those spots, if I wanted. Although, I still like the idea of including diamonds somewhere on an e-ring, because I think they're beautiful (and she might too); but that's just me. What I'm thinking is that I could maybe do 2 clear diamonds and 2 colored stones that would look good with my blue sapphire.

Is it my favorite of all the settings I've looked at so far? I dunno, maybe not. But my point is that it gives me options, and includes elements from each group of design concepts I'm looking for in my ring.

56325 (1).jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

maebelle|1290642440|2778641 said:

I really like this semi-bezel. It incorporates being able the see the stone and her being athletic. I wish it had just a tad less of the extra flowers, and that the semi-bezel was a little more delicate. then it'd be perfect. Ask about their custom prices, tell them the favorites of theirs you have, and the info about your gf and see what they come up with!

Half bezel is better than full bezel, definitely, but I think I still like prongs better. It's hard for me to shake the "bezel = class ring" association in my mind, plus I'm so used to seeing e-rings with prongs that I have a tougher time viewing a sapphire ring as an e-ring when it has a bezel.

EDIT: Yeah, your suggestion about contacting them is a good one. I'll send Green Lake the ones I like, and photo of my sapphire, and see what they come up with. I've already got a local jewelry store contacting MaeVona to get the Poppy ring in, so I can see it IRL.

E B

Ideal_Rock

That Greenlake setting you posted above is very pretty, but you said earlier you don't want it to have any element that will snag on something, and those little flower petals might. It also may be uncomfortable in between the fingers with the design that far down, but may not. I'm kind of sensitive (I don't even like milgrain on rings- learned that the hard way!) however, so keep that in mind.

I'm curious to hear how you like the Maevona Poppy in person! I've seen Maevona settings IRL and they're more delicate than they appear online.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290644278|2778677 said:
That Greenlake setting you posted above is very pretty, but you said earlier you don't want it to have any element that will snag on something, and those little flower petals might. It also may be uncomfortable in between the fingers with the design that far down, but may not. I'm kind of sensitive (I don't even like milgrain on rings- learned that the hard way!) however, so keep that in mind.

OK, that's a good point. I guess she won't wear the ring when she's playing sports, but even if it frequently catches on the end of a sweater sleeve, that would be annoying. And I hadn't even thought about the parts further down the ring that would touch her fingers on either side (I don't wear rings, but I guess that will change soon).

This is feeling more and more like I need a custom setting; I'll describe to a designer what I'm looking for, point to examples, give constraints like "no protruding stuff too far down the side", and let them come up with some CADs, etc. And it seems like Green Lake has a pretty robust custom design process:

http://greenlakejewelry.com/custom_process.aspx

So maybe I'll start with them first. Has anyone else purchased custom jewelry from them? Do we know they're good to do business with? I'll do a search on the PS forums, to see what experience others have had.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock

I would like to suggest a ring that has an organic feel to it as well.

how about this one? I had considered it myself but am told that it is not ideal for an emerald. Might be lovely for a sapphire though.

It can be customized as well

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/item-detail.aspx?id=552

sofi

Rough_Rock

Steve, last year I sent an old gemstone ring to Greenlake and they fashioned two new rings for me from the stones. I was leery of sending my ring across the country but after reading a few reviews here I decided to take a chance. The entire design process was done online in a continuing chat which I found to be very helpful as the project evolved. The staff was professional and accomodating throughout, and promised completion dates were met. As it turned out I was not 100% pleased with one of the rings and they promptly remade it for me, just as their website had promised. I wholeheartedly recommend Greenlake, I believe they could make a stunning ring worthy of your sapphire and the lady who will be wearing it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Steve - I'm with MovieZombie in that I don't normally wear traditional jewelry. I prefer unique and custom. I love the turquoise and coral ring. I also wear turquoise rings. When I look over my favorite pieces I rarely find a prong. They are nearly always bright and colorful and bezeled.

When I got my diamond ring upgrade several years ago, I wanted a colored diamond center stone. These were difficult for my jeweler to source, so I ended up with a 1.5 ct colorless diamond. We compromised with colored diamond sidestones. I wanted the swooping half bezel look, so I worked with the designer and this is where we ended up. I do not wear this ring with a wedding band, since it can stand alone as both e-ring and wedding ring. When I do athletic activities I do not wear this ring. I have a 2 mm plain metal wedding band that I wear instead. My ring size is 7.5.

I love the sapphire half bezel ring that was posted above. Note that with the size of sapphire you have, it will end up shaped more like my ring on top. I wear my ring a lot in winter since it never snags and the stone is set low so it fits under gloves. The channel set side stones are worry free. I would definitely go channel set or bezeled for side stones, because these are sturdier designs.

I'd go with the Green Lake design team and see what you can come up with. I nearly did that myself for a RHR several years ago, but held off due to financial issues. I am a proponent of not surprising the lady with the ring, but to involve her in the design. An option for you might be to propose with the sapphire before pulling the final trigger with Green Lake, and giving her a chance to review your proposed design.

You have a gorgeous sapphire. I would be thrilled to get a colored stone like that for my engagement ring. Good luck.

GreenLake5128320(6).jpg

1Colors4171a.JPG

Green Lake5128320(6).jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl|1290700283|2779073 said:
Steve - I'm with MovieZombie in that I don't normally wear traditional jewelry. I prefer unique and custom. I love the turquoise and coral ring. I also wear turquoise rings. When I look over my favorite pieces I rarely find a prong. They are nearly always bright and colorful and bezeled.

I'd go with the Green Lake design team and see what you can come up with. I nearly did that myself for a RHR several years ago, but held off due to financial issues. I am a proponent of not surprising the lady with the ring, but to involve her in the design. An option for you might be to propose with the sapphire before pulling the final trigger with Green Lake, and giving her a chance to review your proposed design.

You have a gorgeous sapphire. I would be thrilled to get a colored stone like that for my engagement ring. Good luck.

So Steve, I think you have had a lot of good advice here.
I am with FlyGirl and MZ ~

Here's what I am envisioning (bear with me here)

A quaint little B&B
You two in front of a fireplace, snow falling outside
Toasting to Christmas (or whatever)
You present her with a lovely little silver box with a dragonfly on the top, with tiny sapphire chips for eyes.
When she opens the box, she finds a lovely blue sapphire nestled within!
And then a beautifully engraved card from Green Lake Jewelers, for a ring, design of her choosing...
You sip your bubbly, and stare into each others' eyes.
And then ... (dot dot dot)

sigh.......

See, I have been the recipient of many gifts from my husband over the years that
just didn't quite ring my bell.
You have done heroic work here, first getting the stone
Then everyone else has done an heroic job suggesting beautiful ring designs from which to choose.
It's hard work!
Selecting a jeweler to work with is tough enough!
At the end of the day, everyone's taste is very personal.
I think your fiancee might like the process now that you have found a beautiful stone and a jeweler
to design a setting.
Just my humble opinion.....

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I think ooh~Shiney hit the nail on the head.

My husband no longer buys "surprise!' jewelry for me because we just do not share the same taste. And he's known me for almost 40 years.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results