shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

This is just my personal opinion but a 3 stone ring is a very particular taste. Do you know for certain that she will love it? And I think 3 stones are even harder when the center is a round, but the sides aren't. If you want diamonds on the ring I would do a halo or have pave work on the shank. Just MPO though.

Here is a 3 stone (with halo) that I do like with a sapphire that is my LM, that I think could definitely work with a round center. I forget which PSer owns this ring but it is beautiful.

maiasappring9898.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Would she like pears as sides w/a round? I'm not a fan of them personally, but that's just me. If it's something she likes, then I like the 1st LM one. I personally dig Yssie's Butterflies ring, or I'd do crescent or half moon sides with a round center. But that's me, I'm not sure what your gf would like!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Would she like pears? Or crescents/half moons on the side (which sounds kinda neat to me)?

Well, that's a excellent question. I have no idea. It would be great if I could just ask her, but I've chosen to do all this myself, so it's on me to figure this out. That way, at least the ring will be a complete surprise to her when I propose, even if the proposal itself won't be (she's been expecting it for a while, and this whole ring project has dragged on waaay too long for her patience.) Now, I know a little bit about her tastes: she doesn't want a large ring; she's not a flashy girl, so no "bling"; she would appreciate something with some individuality to it, though; something that doesn't look like just another e-ring. (which may be why she wanted a sapphire?)

I'm kind of counting on her loving whatever I get her, cause it will be her e-ring (and she really, REALLY wants to get engaged). But maybe that's naive? The sapphire was so simple compared to this, because at least I knew she wanted a sapphire, and with her ring size I could kinda figure out what size to get her.

Anyway, maybe this will help: She doesn't wear rings very often; in fact, there is only 1 that I've seen her wearing over the last year or so. I know for a fact that she really likes this ring. Obviously, this is waaaay different than an e-ring with sapphires and diamonds, but since she's not into expensive jewelry at all, I don't have anything else to go off of. Here it is:

IMG_0208_cropped.jpg

(that's my finger it's on, for the purposes of display; think I should be a hand model? :wink2: )

So, does that help?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does that ring have any sentimental value to her? If not, I’d say she has very unusual tastes. That said, even those with different taste, usually go for something a little more traditional for an e-ring because it’s meant to be a ring that lasts through time. I think the half moon is a good compromise between traditional and something different – I don’t see half moon sidestones IRL, only on PS.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1290437610|2775387 said:
Does that ring have any sentimental value to her? If not, I’d say she has very unusual tastes.

Nope, she saw it at a jewelry store, and really liked it. I'd say that's typical of her style, especially when you extend it to things she wears a lot more, like necklaces. Not really knowing anything about women's jewelry, I couldn't have told you whether that was "unusual" or "typical".

E B

Ideal_Rock

Seeing that ring, I'd guess that a traditional three-stone (even with a sapphire center) may be too traditional, but you know her best.

Your girlfriend's ring reminds me a bit of James Meyer's designs. Sort of rough looking, 'organic.' I don't think he takes outside center stones anymore, but if you're interested, it may be worth asking about esp. if you ask him to source side diamonds:

http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/rings.htm
http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/engage_rings.htm

E B

Ideal_Rock

You've said she isn't into 'bling,' so what about a unique, funky (maybe a brushed finish?) solitaire? And if she wants diamonds, she can always pair it with a diamond wedding band.

Some websites to look at for not-your-typical solitaire settings:

http://www.sholdt.com
http://www.maevona.com

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Steve,

If the ring you posted is an example of her taste, I don't think she's a Leon Mege woman--or, frankly, Whiteflash or Brian Gavin. She seems more eclectic and organic, to me. I don't know if it has been suggested before, but have you looked at Green Lake? They have literally hundreds of designs, and actually have a section labeled "Organic" which has some gorgeous, not-run-of-the-mill designs. I'll go do a quick search and post some ideas.

How about something along these lines:

MTG_O_10027.jpg

Or this:

MTG_M_10110.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Yeah, I would say "organic" is a fair description of her tastes. She earthy, but more in the "shops at farmers markets, loves the environment, is down to earth" way than the "wears a hemp necklace and birks, goes to phish concerts" way.

I'll take a look at the designs on those websites, thanks! Although I'm not sure how far out on a limb I should venture for this ring, since she's going to be wearing it for a long, long time. If she gets sick of her current ring or her tastes change, it's easy and cheap to replace. This ring will be expensive to reset, I'm guessing. Is there a ring out there which successfully balances unique, beautiful and timeless? :)

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Some other ideas:

These are all from Green Lake Jewelry

50996.jpg

MTG_A_50303.jpg

01180818.jpg

There are some designs on the website that are pretty "out there"--for my taste. But I'm sure for someone with a different design aesthetic they would be perfect. And, I wouldn't worry too much about how you or she might feel about the ring far, far in the future, because if her taste changes, the sapphire can always be reset. Please her now, and chances are she'll love it in the future, too.

I'll also add that all of the designs I posted are classic in an organic/eclectic way. They aren't something Leon Mege would do, but they draw heavily on accepted non-traditional styles.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1290445684|2775520 said:
Yeah, I would say "organic" is a fair description of her tastes. She earthy, but more in the "shops at farmers markets, loves the environment, is down to earth" way than the "wears a hemp necklace and birks, goes to phish concerts" way.

I'll take a look at the designs on those websites, thanks! Although I'm not sure how far out on a limb I should venture for this ring, since she's going to be wearing it for a long, long time. If she gets sick of her current ring or her tastes change, it's easy and cheap to replace. This ring will be expensive to reset, I'm guessing. Is there a ring out there which successfully balances unique, beautiful and timeless? :)

I would either look at James Meyer or do the 3 stone with half moons. I think that would be perfect.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

Sarahbear621|1290465495|2775870 said:

I would either look at James Meyer or do the 3 stone with half moons. I think that would be perfect.

There was another thread on James Meyer, who is apparently selling off his stock and getting out of the jewelry business.

nettestars

Rough_Rock

Check out singlestone.com. They do vintage reproduction work that is really simple and really pretty and would seemingly suit your girlfriend's tastes. Otherwise, vintage/art deco/edwardian designs could have something that catches your eye! Good luck!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290441337|2775444 said:
You've said she isn't into 'bling,' so what about a unique, funky (maybe a brushed finish?) solitaire? And if she wants diamonds, she can always pair it with a diamond wedding band.

Some websites to look at for not-your-typical solitaire settings:

http://www.sholdt.com
http://www.maevona.com

I like these designers a lot. I'm not specifically looking for a modern look, but I don't think something too "antique-y" would look right, either. What I like about these is that they have fairly clean lines (i.e., not too busy), but are still unique compared to more mainstream-looking platinum e-rings.

Here are the ones from Sholdt that I like; unfortunately, they don't have a way to link directly to the ring, so these are screen grabs (they also have a side view):

R456-1D
R456-1D.jpg

R237-1D
R237-1D.jpg

And here is the one from MaeVona that I like the best:

http://www.maevona.com//bridal/111/iona/dia
111_largeImage.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Love the first and third one. I'm not quite sure but I think D&T has the first one but in yellow gold. It is very pretty and would look awsome with a matching w-band. The 3rd one is a bit more unqiue. My only problem with it is you have to really like that style. It is not a middle of the road ring. To be safe I would probably go with the first option. I think that would look killer with a sapphire. :love:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I should stay out of this, but I JUST CAN'T

With the way you have described your fiancee, I would
SERIOUSLY call up Greenlake Jewelers in Seattle.....
They look to have lots of selections, and probably will
be able to work with you to create something very suitable.
They have that whole earthy, organic aesthetic down pat, if you ask me, as
befitting their geographical location (I am from Seattle, so I know whereof you speak, maybe)

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Sorry, Steve, I totally don't like the third one (and I am generally very encouraging). It makes me think of eyeballs. Maybe if it was done with pears?

Honestly, I would do a classic 3-stone, with unusual side diamonds shapes, like half circles, kites, half moons :love: or trilliants (sp?).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can see her liking the Maevona over the first two which are still somewhat traditional. However, it is still a risk from my viewpoint because I don’t know your fiancé as well as you.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

I really have to agree with Shiney. I have unusual taste myself, and I think a three stone with unusual sides wouldn't seem non-traditional or non-classic to me, especially before I got into gems. GreenLake (and I love Maevona, by the way, though not necessarily the one you posted) has some settings that are unique but not quite so out there. It might be worth taking a look at the site, or talking to them.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Steve, did you see 'Poppy' by Maevona? Nice flowing lines, the bezel pears looking a bit like leaves. Not too modern -or- ornate.

http://www.maevona.com//bridal/123/poppy

Does it seem like something she'd love? Are we getting closer?

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290526695|2776688 said:
Steve, did you see 'Poppy' by Maevona? Nice flowing lines, the bezel pears looking a bit like leaves. Not too modern -or- ornate.

http://www.maevona.com//bridal/123/poppy

Does it seem like something she'd love? Are we getting closer?

Yeah, I like this one. I like that it's got side diamonds, because to just have a plain sapphire solitaire seems a little boring to me. And the design is, well, different. It's certainly unique, but is it different in a way she'll appreciate? Maybe, yes. It's hard for me to tell, especially without seeing it mounted with a sapphire and in person.

I think we're getting closer. My time window is starting to close, so even though I probably have another couple of months, I really need to start narrowing this down so that I have enough time for the jeweler to do his thing with the setting and mount my stone. Plus I'll need to get this certified, insured, etc. and who knows how long that will take. My drop-dead date is March; if I haven't proposed by then, I'm in trouble.

I'll take a look a Green Lake's settings next. Thanks again for everyone's advice and suggestions; I can't imagine how daunting this would be if I had to do it all alone.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

maevona.gif

So... quick photoshopping, your sapphire in the maevona setting. I didn't have time to go through all of the settings you liked, just wanted to show you the photoshop and paint can help a great deal in visualization

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maebelle,
That’s gorgeous! Thanks for the photoshop work.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1290540239|2776965 said:
Maebelle,
That’s gorgeous! Thanks for the photoshop work.

I agree! I actually like it more with the sapphire.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Aoife|1290468420|2775897 said:
Sarahbear621|1290465495|2775870 said:

There was another thread on James Meyer, who is apparently selling off his stock and getting out of the jewelry business.

I got a sapphire ring from James Meyer today (item 1280) for my husband. It was on sale. I didn't get one for myself because I wanted white gold. But Mr. Meyer promised he would look for a gem for me during his trip to Tucson early next year. So I assume he will stay in the jewelry business.

1280.jpg

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

iLander|1290519579|2776604 said:
Sorry, Steve, I totally don't like the third one (and I am generally very encouraging). It makes me think of eyeballs. Maybe if it was done with pears?

Honestly, I would do a classic 3-stone, with unusual side diamonds shapes, like half circles, kites, half moons :love: or trilliants (sp?).

Thanks, iLander, I appreciate your feedback! Do you have any examples of 3 stone settings with half circles, kites or half moons, that you're thinking of? I've seen rings with trillians, but I haven't see any of the other side stones you mentioned.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

maebelle|1290538552|2776919 said:
maevona.gif

So... quick photoshopping, your sapphire in the maevona setting. I didn't have time to go through all of the settings you liked, just wanted to show you the photoshop and paint can help a great deal in visualization

That could work, I like the look of it! It's got some diamonds, but they seem fairly small so they won't overpower my sapphire; the ring has a quirky design; (hopefully it would still be comfortable to wear!) but it's not too far "out there", I don't think. The only thing that gives me pause is on the "Detail" tab where it says "Stone sizes: approx 1.0ct-1.50ct"; mine is 1.67ct. But that's "approx" 1.5ct, so it's certainly worth asking them about it.

Thanks for helping me with the photoshop!

iLander

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1290560254|2777391 said:

Thanks, iLander, I appreciate your feedback! Do you have any examples of 3 stone settings with half circles, kites or half moons, that you're thinking of? I've seen rings with trillians, but I haven't see any of the other side stones you mentioned.

(a
Here's a REALLY expensive ring, with calf's head cut diamond sides (as stated on IGA certificate)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11539354&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|28447|88436&N=4043602&Mo=14&pos=10&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=88436&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10573-Cat28447&topnav=

Here's another with half moon sides
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11116467&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|28447|56574&N=4017520&Mo=34&pos=2&No=14&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=56574&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10573-Cat28447&topnav=

I don't spend a lot of time on diamond websites, so Costco is all I could come up with.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

iLander|1290561363|2777417 said:
SteveNeedsARing|1290560254|2777391 said:

(a
Here's a REALLY expensive ring, with calf's head cut diamond sides (as stated on IGA certificate)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11539354&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|28447|88436&N=4043602&Mo=14&pos=10&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=88436&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10573-Cat28447&topnav=

Here's another with half moon sides
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11116467&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|28447|56574&N=4017520&Mo=34&pos=2&No=14&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=56574&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10573-Cat28447&topnav=

I don't spend a lot of time on diamond websites, so Costco is all I could come up with.

Holy Schnikes!!! I didn't know Costco sold anything that cost 6 figures! I hope I don't have to buy in bulk... :D

OK, so I think calf's head looks better with a non-rounded center stone. I've figured out that if the center has sharp corners, then the side stones look best with sharp corners, and same applies with a rounded center stone and side stones with rounded corners.

The half moons are ok, I think I've seen those before; but only when the gems are surrounded with a halo or bezel, which is a look I'm not crazy about. To me, the halo/bezel kind of distracts my eye from the raw form of the sapphire.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results