shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

I have to concur with the ladies above....or perhaps you could have the stone set in a very simple setting so she can wear it while going through the design process.

Here is a style you might consider if you want to choose the design yourself. I've had this ring by Dmitriy Pavlov bookmarked forever because I'd love to own it one day....it would look amazing with a beautiful sapphire. He makes a narrower matching band as well.

spring-stream-ring.jpeg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock

And one of the set.....

spring-stream-set.jpeg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

I just browsed my way through this thread and I wanted to tell you, Steve, that I think all of the effort you're putting into this ring is really stellar. Your future fiancee is really lucky.

I don't really know what to suggest when it comes to your ring setting but I will say that I love the idea of presenting your sapphire unset or in a temporary setting to her when you propose with a card to reset it into a setting of her choosing or design. That way you get to propose when you want without the stress of wondering if you're making the right choice with the design of the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

An excellent idea by the other PSers - have the sapphire set simply as a temporary ring, then let her have fun in choosing a design that she will love to wear everyday for the rest of her life.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I AGREE! :appl:

Have a jeweler set it in a sterling solitaire, and go from there.

She may want an elaborate setting, with matching wedding bands for the both of you, and that opens up an entire other can of worms. . .

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Candice|1289052712|2756773 said:
I love that Leon mege sapphire ring. its perfect! low set, lots of detail :love:

ditto this. the leon with the blue sapphire is perfection - but i also agree with BEG, that i wouldn't do three sided pave, but rather just down the shank on the top. Three sided will make it hard to wear a w-band with it.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I've been considering the idea of proposing with just a sapphire. Here are my concerns with it:

1. I want to propose with a ring, something I can actually put on her finger, she can keep, show to her friends, etc. Now, this could be somewhat solved by using a temporary setting.
  2. I'm not sure that she's picky enough about jewelry to even want to participate in the selection of the setting. I kind of get the feeling that she'd prefer if I did it all, and surprised her with the finished product. My thinking is that if she really wanted to have her say, she would have said something like "why don't we go look at rings together?" In fact, on 2 or 3 different occasions when we've been discussing her concerns over why I'm "dragging my feet", I've put out there that I'm doing this for her, but it would probably speed up the process if she wanted to get involved and help me pick out the ring, and every time she said nothing. So I think she doesn't have a specific idea of what she wants, and enjoys the thought that it's coming almost 100% from me.

But still, I agree with your point that it's really hard to get something like this right, without having input from her. Most guys are not great at picking out jewelry, and I'm no different; although I am putting in way more effort this time than I have in the past. So this morning I was asking her why she never wears the 2 Tiffany necklaces I bought her any more, as a sneaky way to back into the topic of jewelry, and what she likes and doesn't like. And we actually ended up talking about the e-ring, way more than we ever have before. So here's what I learned:

• I think Tiffany's is too commercialized for her tastes, but the actual reason she didn't like the 2nd thing I got her is because it was a bracelet, and she doesn't wear bracelets because she has a hard time keeping them on. When she traded that for the dragonfly necklace, she was really happy. Plus she liked the heart shaped necklace I first got here. I now realize that neither of these silver necklaces are really the style of jewelry that she likes, but the actual reason that she doesn't wear them now is that both need to be cleaned, plus she lost one for a while.
  • The necklaces on her jewelry stand that I based my recent observations off of are holdovers from high school and college; her tastes have matured a bit since then, and they don't really go with a lot of her outfits. I need to be careful that whatever ring I get her "goes with" most of the stuff she wears, so it doesn't face the same problem.
  • The stone doesn't have to blue; yellow or orange would be ok; but not red because she wouldn't want to wear a red stone (like a ruby e.g.) every day. I told her it would be blue, so no problem here. But maybe these are ideas for side stone colors?
  • She likes circles more than squares, which I kind of figured. Also: not too big, not too expensive. Check!
  • She wants a gold colored band, not silver colored. She claims she told me this a while ago; I guess I forgot, cause it's news to me! Oh well, back to the drawing board...
  • She said "it doesn't have to be perfect... I'm not perfect."

Especially based on the last thing, I'm leaning towards just giving it my best shot, and not involving her in the process (any more than I just did) in order to get it "perfect" with her help. At the end of our conversation, after I had asked her for the 2nd or 3rd time "is there anything else that's really important to you about the ring, other than what we've already discussed", she volunteered to go shopping with me if I wanted, to help me pick it out. Based on her tone, though, and knowing her, I think she just feels really sorry for me and wishes I weren't making such a big deal of the ring. She's said multiple times that she doesn't even need a ring; we could just have a great honeymoon instead. (Then I pointed out that, well, why couldn't we have both? :))

So based on all of this, I think I'm going to switch the band to yellow gold, continue to do my best to muddle through the options, and do the best job I can without spending more time than is necessary. I'm pretty sure she'll love whatever I get her, and I have a money plan in mind for the proposal. ;-)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

steve, my e-ring does not have a prong.......and that was part of the problem: i did not want a typical e-ring because i do not wear typical jewelry. a traditional e-ring would NOT go with any of the other things i wear. we had the stone for about 6 months before it was set because i had a hard time locating someone who would/could work with us to create my untraditional dream e-ring.

you could take your girlfriend window shopping....doesn't mean you have to buy one right then and there. we did this. it helped to define what i wanted and did not want. i tried on every kind of traditional diamond ring you could think of.....and most if not all looked really good on my hand BUT THEY WERE NOT "ME". i didn't realize this until we went and did this. we did this many times. one thing that will happen if you do go "window" shopping with her is that it will help define what you both are desiring in her e-ring. you're clear about what you'd like to see but unclear of what would really ring her chimes. take some time....a lot of time if necessary.....make it an excursion with lunch or dinner out. don't feel obligated to buy anything. you can still surprise her......and you could still have a custom piece made.....which is what we ended up doing. look on line with her. just because you do this doesn't take the surprise out of what you do present to her.

while i really wanted an e-ring it was not until i tried on "real" e-rings that it became obvious to me that nothing was really ringing my chimes. i'm so glad i didn't get a traditional e-ring because i just never would have been really comfortable with it.

MoZo

ps it was by trying on diamonds that i found i wanted a color stone and it was by trying on even more rings that i realized it wasn't just that i wanted color, i did not want traditional. if your girlfriend hasn't tried on much traditional jewelry, now is the time to do it.

and i love the setting that dianabanana posted! another blend of traditiona/nontraditional that "sings". i'd wear it along with the more traditional wedding band shown with it. i also love her ring!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so glad that you and your FF are finally talking about the e-ring! It sounds as though it was a great conversation, and Movie Zombie had some wonderful insights into how you can build off that conversation so that your GF will end up with a ring she loves. I think the idea about trying on rings is really important, because what frequently happens is what you think you're going to like, and what actually looks good on your hand might be two different things.

You've got a plan of action, I can't wait to hear what you decide to do.

E B

Ideal_Rock

Hi Steve,

I just thought of a couple of other settings you might like, given this new information. They'd be on the pricier side, but well worth it. I'm sure whatever's in white gold/platinum can be made in yellow gold.

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/41206MCII_08 <-Love this

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/1016c

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/1305_G

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/8365b <- Love this one too

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/8455b

The main website: http://www.mc2jewels.com/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Having that conversation was extremely helpful in pinpointing some very important considerations down.
1. Yellow gold
2. Must match with her other styles, meaning probably the sidestones or accent stones should be diamonds as colourless stones go with just about everything.
3. Circular design (organic) rather than squarish design

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i'd do the dianabanana ring all with sapphires........well, perhaps not the wedding band....i'd consider doing that alternating with diamonds. is there such a thing as too much blue or too many sapphires in one piece? not sure.....

was wine tasting one afternoon at the boony doone tasting room and there was a woman there with her huge e-ring wedding set combo which was almost all sapphire: center stone with scattered sapphires...but her wedding band was a combo. lovely. well, one of her wedding bands was a combo: she had 3 on with her wedding ring: 1 with solid sapphires, one with mixed sapphires and diamonds, and another with nothing but diamonds. she had small fingers and her set was amazing.

and while in perth AU this month [can i never stop looking at hands and the rings on them?] a clerk in a store had a sapphire wedding set which she got for herself [hubby not very actively involved in these things] which also had mostly sapphies going on with some smattering of diamonds. also lovely.

MoZo

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

It sounds like a simple temporary setting may be a good way to go. One thing you might consider is a yellow gold bezel or semi-bezel solitaire for the temp setting, since she likes round shapes. She may even like a simple bezel well enough to keep it as it is without resetting it...you never know! Something like this is what comes to mind:
http://www.brilliantearth.com/Round-Bezel-Sapphire-Ring-Gold-BE137-SB6RD/

May I throw another jeweler into the mix? Check out Julia Kay Taylor. Her designs are very organic and often work in leaves or other natural motifs. She does custom orders through Etsy but has her own website too. The catch is that she's a one-woman operation and extremely busy, so your GF would have to wear the temp setting for a while until Julia can work you into her schedule.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juliakaytaylor
http://juliakaytaylor.com/

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

I would check out the Sholdt semi bezels. There is one that is plain and if I had a diamond ering that would hands down be my setting, but likr you, I don't. there is another one that has diamonds in the band leading up to the semi bezel, DT had it for a while if you can track down the threads. I LOVE Sholdts!

ETA-If there is no Sholdt dealer around you they will send them to a jeweler local to you for you to look at. This is what I had to do.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I've got another funny story to tell. So we're sitting on the couch yesterday morning reading the paper, when she tosses the Macy's black Friday ad section on to my lap, points to the ring below, and says "look, they're only $200!"

After containing my initial feelings of shock and horror, the rest of the converstaion went something like this:

Me: Yeah, but I thought you wanted yellow gold?
Her: Oh, right.
Her: (pointing to the ring on the left) That one's nice, too.
Me: Oh, so you like halos?
Her: What's a halo?
Me: Uh, it's when there is a circle of diamonds that goes around the center stone, kinda like a halo.
Her: Yeah, I guess so.

I get the impression she hasn't thought too much about what she'd want in an e-ring, because the ring is the least important part of getting engaged, to her. And that's another reason I've tried not to involve her in picking the stone and/or setting; I don't think she really has any clue what she wants, so whatever I get her will almost "define" what a sapphire e-ring is supposed to look like. Plus I get points for doing it all by myself! ;-)

So yeah, I guess I could consider a halo. In a gold setting. Wouldn't be *my* first choice, personally, but if that's what the lady wants... :)

photo.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha, awww. It kind of sounds like she's just trying to make it easy on you in a way by giving you a "anything is ok!" kind of sign. Which oddly enough just makes it harder!

Guess halos are in then? I'm not sure if you got the impression that she honestly likes halos or if it was a "huh? halos? Sure, whatever honey" kind of comment.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

DianaBanana|1290718716|2779333 said:
I have to concur with the ladies above....or perhaps you could have the stone set in a very simple setting so she can wear it while going through the design process.

Here is a style you might consider if you want to choose the design yourself. I've had this ring by Dmitriy Pavlov bookmarked forever because I'd love to own it one day....it would look amazing with a beautiful sapphire. He makes a narrower matching band as well.

This is a neat ring, but it looks REALLY wide to me. Maybe it's just the perspective of the photo, but it looks wide enough to be a man's ring. I found the guy's website, and it looks like he has other rings in that style, but I just can't get enough from his photos to tell if the extra width would look OK. What do you think?

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1290984966|2781188 said:
Haha, awww. It kind of sounds like she's just trying to make it easy on you in a way by giving you a "anything is ok!" kind of sign. Which oddly enough just makes it harder!

Guess halos are in then? I'm not sure if you got the impression that she honestly likes halos or if it was a "huh? halos? Sure, whatever honey" kind of comment.

Yeah, I think she just wants to make it as easy as possible for me, and make sure I don't spend too much money. :)

I didn't get the impression that she loves the look of halos, but she's not opposed to them, either. The last few days have really been a "reset" for me in terms of the ring design; and it's a little frustrating because I was starting to feel like I was getting close!

So yeah, I could set my stone in a temp. setting, and do the actual ring shopping with her, but I get the suspicion that picking out the right setting won't be much easier with her help. I'm thinking I'll just give this my best shot, and accept a 95% chance that she'll be happy with it, since she won't really know any better (it's not like she has any friends with sapphire e-rings to compare with).

E B

Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1290984966|2781188 said:

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't go the halo route if you said she a) isn't into a lot of bling and b) doesn't want anything too big. Even a delicate halo will add some *size,* so unless she was like, "LOVE this! This is it!" then meh. I'd go more simple, but with diamond accents.

ETA: Re: The width of the ring at the top of the page, it does look wide. Depending on the size of the diamond, maybe 6mm or more. Depends on the length of her fingers, really. Her casual ring would suggest she doesn't mind a more "chunky" style, but what about pairing a wedding band with it? That's going to add some extra mm, if she wants a wedding ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok Steve.

First order of business: You are awesome.

Second order of business: You still need a ring.

I've seen a lot of good choices here in this thread. I know my taste pretty dang well, but I've also spent 3 YEARS of my life perusing PS as well as jewelry websites. I KNOW I tend to go for either simple, minimalist modern stuff or really ornate antique looking things.

Basically, you should be grateful that you don't have to pick out my ering!

But this is one reason I have multiple erings.

Enough about me--this is about your FF. We've seen her jewelry. We've heard about whats on her jewelry tree. We've seen that she is REALLY antsy about getting engaged. We know that she wants yellow gold. We know that she wants color. We know that you want to pick out a setting that will be her forever ring. We know she's athletic and plays sports. We know she likes organic design elements.

I noticed that you didn't really reply to EB's post, but I think that those kind of hit the ball out of the park as far as combining a lot of the elements that she really likes, as well as getting a more traditional look. I'll post the pics of the ones I liked the most. They are floral without being FLORAL, if you know what I mean...

Problem is that McTeigue & McClelland are pretty dang pricey. And I have no idea if they work with outside stones. But I think that they are definitely worth looking into.

BTW, have you seen the Maevona ring yet? I'm interested to know what you think of it.

8455b.sized.jpg

8365b.sized.jpg

41206MCII_08.sized.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Threadjack: frekechlld! Where is that blue ring in the first picture from, I'm in love!!!

Steve, I'm also curious about the maevona, post your thoughts after you see it

E B

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, Freke! :)) Photos have more impact than links, esp. in a thread that's four pages. The ones you posted are my favorites too, especially the first two. Steve, if you're at all curious, here's a side view for the second ring:

mc2side.jpg

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Maevona in real life!

ETA: Maebelle, it's from McTeigue & McClelland. Isn't it beautiful?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

another in the camp that her comment re halos does NOT constitute that she actually likes them or wants one as a forever e-ring.

and another in the camp noting that HER favorite ring that she bought for herself is not just chunky but CHUNKY. me thinks steve worries too much re the width of the ring as he's still trying for a traditional e-ring.........and she's trying to make it easy for him.

so, if she would be happy with one of the rings she showed you, steve, i'd get it for her as a temporary e-ring presented on the date you've selected along with the sapphire to be set as you both spend more time together looking at rings and specifically her trying styles on.

and i'm loving that side view posted! certainly traditional in a nontraditional way.

MoZo

ps and another in the steve is awesome for putting so much time and effort into this camp!

bebe

Ideal_Rock

sorry, threadjack #2, but those are awesome rings Freke !!

Steve, you are getting great advice here, I can't wait to see what you get - I know it will be perfect.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

Half bezel is better than full bezel, definitely, but I think I still like prongs better. It's hard for me to shake the "bezel = class ring" association in my mind, plus I'm so used to seeing e-rings with prongs that I have a tougher time viewing a sapphire ring as an e-ring when it has a bezel.

EDIT: Yeah, your suggestion about contacting them is a good one. I'll send Green Lake the ones I like, and photo of my sapphire, and see what they come up with. I've already got a local jewelry store contacting MaeVona to get the Poppy ring in, so I can see it IRL.
[/quote]

Steve, I'm (also) interested to see what you think of the Poppy IRL. I saw it this weekend by chance and wasn't a huge fan of the asymmetry of it, which I felt like didn't flow as well in person as I thought it would. I should say, though, that I was blown away by the beauty of a lot of her settings and would urge you to look at some others of hers if any appeal to you.

If you like prongs more, I'd recommend checking out the Eorsa with side diamonds. My sister actually mocked it up for me with a sapphire this weekend (my own start of a search, don't ask), so its below. The prongs are much more delicate IRL. And they do yellow gold, too, if you still think she'd like that more. I think the profile is the best part.

And as everyone else has said, the effort you're putting into this is amazing.

edited to make the quote look like one.

Eorsa.jpg

Eorsa-pave.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Re: The Macy's rings, I think along with MZ and others, I don't think she loves those, she
just prob wants you to know that she is more into the MAN than the RING !!!!!
Those rings are only ok.

But anyway.
I kinda hate for you to default to something plain and halo'd, at this point.

I have an idea !!!!!!!!
You can buy ME a ring! :naughty:

You have put so much thought into this, I hate for it to be all wasted
Mr Shiney won't care, honest!

I still want one of the Green Lake Jewelers rings like you posted.
Or the one Cookie posted with the gorgeous trilliant pink stones,
or Dianna Banana's pick!!!!
I will make it easy for you, any of the above will suit me fine!!! :devil:

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

E B|1290826667|2780104 said:
Hi Steve,

I just thought of a couple of other settings you might like, given this new information. They'd be on the pricier side, but well worth it. I'm sure whatever's in white gold/platinum can be made in yellow gold.

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/41206MCII_08 <-Love this

http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/8365b <- Love this one too

The main website: http://www.mc2jewels.com/
OK, I've got some catching up to do on this thread, so let's start with EB's fine suggestions.

This is great, I like this one a lot. Only problems I see: my stone is round, and her stated preference for gold. :(
http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/41206MCII_08

These are too plain for my tastes:

I'm torn on this one; but ultimately I guess I'm not a fan of the halo, or whatever it's called on this one:

A little on the simple side, but the color contrast between green, gold, silver and diamond is mesmerizing. I mean, credit to the photographer is certainly due, but this is one of the few rings I've looked at and thought "damn, that's gorgeous". And maybe it would look great with a blue sapphire too, but I think that green color looks really sharp.
http://www.mc2jewels.com/gallery/Rings/8365b

With regards to the cost of M&M rings, I emailed them to get quotes on a couple of the above rings. Does anyone have a ballpark for what they'd change me to set my JW sapphire in one of these rings, size 4.5? We talking $5K, $10K, or higher? I'll let you know when I hear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I ADORE the green one too--I think the blue, yg and plat (guessing?) would be an amazing color combo for sure--I always love yellow and blue together.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. And hopefully TGal can stop by and give us an idea of what an Mc2 ring would cost...I think she got a quote not long ago...

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

movie zombie|1290869527|2780302 said:
i'd do the dianabanana ring all with sapphires........well, perhaps not the wedding band....i'd consider doing that alternating with diamonds. is there such a thing as too much blue or too many sapphires in one piece? not sure.....

was wine tasting one afternoon at the boony doone tasting room and there was a woman there with her huge e-ring wedding set combo which was almost all sapphire: center stone with scattered sapphires...but her wedding band was a combo. lovely. well, one of her wedding bands was a combo: she had 3 on with her wedding ring: 1 with solid sapphires, one with mixed sapphires and diamonds, and another with nothing but diamonds. she had small fingers and her set was amazing.

and while in perth AU this month [can i never stop looking at hands and the rings on them?] a clerk in a store had a sapphire wedding set which she got for herself [hubby not very actively involved in these things] which also had mostly sapphies going on with some smattering of diamonds. also lovely.

MoZo

MoZo,

Your stories about other people's sapphire rings got me thinking; why am I making this so hard on myself? My FF doesn't really care, and hasn't showed any interest in going shopping with me other than as an easy way out if I'm not up to the challenge of picking it out myself. So I'll just use what someone else has put together, and call it a day! So guess who just got engaged recently???

Good enough for prince charming? Good enough for Steve. :D

85_Dianas_engagement_ring_11.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results