shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

Have you called M&M and told them what date you want to propose on and ask if they can do it? The time frame they gave you could just be their standard response to abstract inquiries. With specifics in hand they might do better.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291387094|2786194 said:
maebelle|1291162129|2783491 said:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/JbEG-Signature-Settings-and/Plain-and-Pave-Solitaires/The-Lily-Split-Shank/12795589_XX3pg#914522763_xy3U8

This ring by jbeg is very close, and she'll customize without you having to travel Massachusetts :)

Are you saying that she could completely change this ring for me, so it looks just like the M&M ring I like? Are jewelers allowed to copy each other's designs for custom jobs, or is there some sort of trademark/copyright on that?

Because this ring looks OK to me, but if she could make it look like the green/gold/platinum/diamond ring from M&M, then we may have a winner! :)

As in, I think she can take this setting of hers, do it it yellow gold, leave off the melee or leave it on... She does custom work but I've never worked with her, just admired her stuff. You'll have to contact her to see what she can do.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

You guys were right, M&M rings are pretty expensive...

The Flora Embrace Ring (#8364 shown with green sapphire) mounting would run approximately $ 8,500 depending on the size of your stone.

The Classic Flora Ring (#0241 shown with cushion sapphire and accent diamonds) mounting ... about $10,000-12,000.

I'm not sure the first one is worth $8K for the setting alone; I mean, that is WAY more than I paid for my center stone. It might be worth seeing if another designer could do something similar, though. (Especially if they can do it sooner!)

8365b.sized.jpg

41206MCII_08.sized.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steve - this is something I learned recently myself - jewelry designs ARE protected intellectual property, and most jewelry designers I've come across are vigilant about respecting others' work.

That said, with all your research you probably have noticed that there are many commonly used design elements - it is how all these elements are put together that make it a protected design. So if there is a particular design that you like, try to figure out which specific element(s) really makes that piece stand out for you (it can't be all or a majority of the elements). But if you are able to narrow it down, then you can approach a jewelry designer and tell them / show them about these particular elements, for "inspirational" purposes.

Many jewelry designers are approachable - we're talking about a custom piece of jewelry - of course they want your input. Much of the custom jewelry design business centers around customers saying: "these are the features I'd like," "this is the stone I have," "this is the metal I prefer," and "these are my budget constraints." They are used to customers saying, "I'd like this shank from this ring photo here, but I'd like these prongs from over here, and my stone is square not round, and I'd rather not (or would prefer) side-stones in this shape/color." The designer will take it all in and figure out what might be possible and recommended in terms of design and budget as well as structural and fabrication considerations.

Long answer, but you don't have to give up on a dream ring -- as long as you don't want a carbon copy, once you get a lock on the elements you do want, find a designer who can make it happen for you. I can recommend Michael E of The Gemshoppe - he is a lapidary as well as a jewelry designer - he has made several beautiful rings for me (mine were made using various stock pieces from Stuller and Adwar) and if you search Pricescope you'll find many exquisite rings he has made for Pricescopers. He knows stones, he knows jewelry, and his turnaround time I would venture to guess would be in the short-term (weeks rather than months).

Best of luck to you!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291090584|2782420 said:
Thanks Cookie, these are some of my favorites from her collection, but I still can't get past the bezel look. It feels like I'm staring into the headlights of a 1930s era car... :))

Steve, I totally understand what you mean. I used to be in the prong camp, and could not stand the look of bezels. But after owning/wearing several prong-set pendants and rings for a while, I noticed prongs don't feel very smooth and sometimes they get caught on lint or scarf, which is annoying.

One could argue well-made pieces won't have this problem, but I started to try bezeled jewelry.. I guess my taste has changed since then.. I find that bezels are more elegant, and they compliment the stone shape better than prongs. I am totally converted to the bezel camp.

Just wanted to share my experience. I apologize if anyone in the prong camp gets offended. :twirl:

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

OK, I think I've got a sense of what I'd do for a custom project, based on the 2 M&M rings above. I'd just tell a designer to combine them! Round center stone, gold setting, platinum claws and diamond ring around the shank, but take the teardrop side stones and leaves going up the sides from the blue stone ring. There is a reason that both of these rings appeal to me, so that means there are design elements from both that I like. And if I'm going for a custom setting, then I don't need to settle for one or the other. Plus, combining them means the finished product won't look too much like either one, and it'll probably be done faster and cheaper than M&M could do, without having to drive up to MA.

Does that seem reasonable?

The only thing I'm a little torn on, is that I still like the Green Lake settings, and they sound like they'd be great to work with on a custom project. So who should I look at for this project? JBEG and GL? Any others?

I just emailed JBEG to see what kind of time frame she could do for a custom setting. I didn't ask about price, because I haven't worked out yet which settings I want to use as the basis. Maybe I should contact GL as well, and see what they can do for a time frame. Then I'll send them all the settings I like, and let them mash them all into one... :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

For the record, JBEG is two people--Erica AND Grace. Just wanted to clarify that for everyone.

Steve, I can't wait to see what you end up with. Also, I think I'd approach JBEG for this one since one of their custom rings already has qualities that are quite similar to what you're looking at. I think their jeweler could do this for you easily.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

steve, congrats on recognizing your likes re the two designs and how you'd combine them. very succinct. much progress has been made!

MoZo

ps and your soon to be fiancee will have a ring that is unique!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1291481359|2787277 said:
For the record, JBEG is two people--Erica AND Grace. Just wanted to clarify that for everyone.
Had no idea. Thought her name was "Erica Grace", which would be a nice name for a lady. :)

Thanks for clearing up!

pixies

Shiny_Rock

+1 to JbEG. I had a really tight time line as I wanted my mother to be able to see my reset when she was visiting. They were able to get it to me before she left -- only 10 days after approving CADs. Erica really went out of the way to get it to me in time.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I'm another +1 for JBEG as I think this is more their style. Ultimatey I would send both JBEG and GL a request for a quote and then figure out who I want to go with....but if they care comparable I would go with JBEG.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ditto +1 on JBEG - if one of their rings already has several of the elements you prefer, it makes sense to go with them especially if they can accommodate your timeframe and budget. Their rings are beautiful and I understand they are wonderful to work with.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291431133|2786935 said:
You guys were right, M&M rings are pretty expensive...

The Flora Embrace Ring (#8364 shown with green sapphire) mounting would run approximately $ 8,500 depending on the size of your stone.

The Classic Flora Ring (#0241 shown with cushion sapphire and accent diamonds) mounting ... about $10,000-12,000.

I'm not sure the first one is worth $8K for the setting alone; I mean, that is WAY more than I paid for my center stone. It might be worth seeing if another designer could do something similar, though. (Especially if they can do it sooner!)

Steve, I'm with you- these prices are ridiculous. These are the kind of prices you give to clueless noobs that usually shop at the mall and pay MSRP on their cars. :rolleyes: Seriously, some of these setters act like they INVENTED diamonds!

I think a three stone with pear sides (which I suggested eons ago :bigsmile: ) is the way to go. Whatever little flourishes you want to add are fine. Have you considered sourcing the sides from Leibish, and sending the whole thing to DanielM at Etsy? He and Caren are quick and reasonable. He does great claw prongs, and has done a lot of work here on CS. I don't think they would charge more than a few hundred to put the thing together. Which is as it should be. . . :appl:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

iLander|1291559988|2787774 said:
Steve, I'm with you- these prices are ridiculous. These are the kind of prices you give to clueless noobs that usually shop at the mall and pay MSRP on their cars. :rolleyes: Seriously, some of these setters act like they INVENTED diamonds!

I think a three stone with pear sides (which I suggested eons ago :bigsmile: ) is the way to go.]
Whatever little flourishes you want to add are fine. Have you considered sourcing the sides from Leibish, and sending the whole thing to DanielM at Etsy? He and Caren are quick and reasonable. He does great claw prongs, and has done a lot of work here on CS. I don't think they would charge more than a few hundred to put the thing together. Which is as it should be. . . :appl:

Which is essentially what one of the Mc&Mc settings is, so I agree with iLander here. It's as if you've come full circle with all the cogitations about settings, and ended up with a variation on a classic and timeless combination: round center stone, two pears. I also like the suggestion to check out some of Daniel M's work. If you go to his etsy store and look at some of his "sold" work, you can see that he has a much larger repertoire of styles and possibilities than is immediately obvious from what he has for sale ready-made.

I'm also going to add that if you really like the look of the Mc&Mc "Flora," it is not, IMO, all that similar to the JbEG "Lily." Aside from all the fiddly bits of leafiness, the Flora has double prongs, and has much more metal supporting the center stone. The Lily is a split shank, and doesn't really have prongs, per se. Also the look is very, very open. Both the Lily and the Flora would require a certain amount of care in the wearing, the Flora because all those tiny leaves are going to catch on things, and the Lily because the stone is so exposed.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

Steve, That sounds like a gorgeous idea!!! I can't wait to see it.

I think JBEG's benchman or greenlake would do excellent work.

I'd definitely ask for quotes and initial design concepts from each...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Steve, if you don't mind sharing, could you let me in on how much that MaeVona setting was that you were interested in? I've been drooling over one of their settings for a long time (for a diamond) and I want to get an idea of how much it could empty my checking account...

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I think a three stone with pear sides (which I suggested eons ago :bigsmile: ) is the way to go. Whatever little flourishes you want to add are fine. Have you considered sourcing the sides from Leibish, and sending the whole thing to DanielM at Etsy? He and Caren are quick and reasonable. He does great claw prongs, and has done a lot of work here on CS. I don't think they would charge more than a few hundred to put the thing together. Which is as it should be. . . :appl:

Hey iLander, thanks for the suggestion! I'll give Daniel M a call to see what he can do.

Who is Leibish? And why would I source the side stones myself, vs. letting the jeweler I'm buying the ring from do it?

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

FrekeChild|1291603133|2788442 said:
Steve, if you don't mind sharing, could you let me in on how much that MaeVona setting was that you were interested in? I've been drooling over one of their settings for a long time (for a diamond) and I want to get an idea of how much it could empty my checking account...

I actually forgot to ask. :oops:

I just shot my local jeweler an email to ask, though. In one of my photos, I can see part of the tag which says "2390", so maybe that's the price? Don't quote me on that until I confirm it, though.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291479979|2787255 said:
So who should I look at for this project? JBEG and GL? Any others?
Did you ever check out Huntcountry.com near Leesburg? They are so good at custom and colored stones and seriously is probably like 20% of what an MC2 costs for comparable quality but cast not forged. Tiny Jewel Box in Dupont is also great but $$$, they are the ones that carry MC2 (and it is amazing in person!). I really have to caution you against Quest, in addition to many other things they did wrong like hang bezel drops culet out from my earrings, they actually scratched and chipped the colored stones I had carefully sourced myself but sent them to me anyway like they didn't notice all the things wrong. I would never ever go back to them. Even when I had them fix it, they still effed it up a second time.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Either JbEG or Greenlake should be able to come up with something that has something like the "look and feel" of the MC2 pieces without ripping off the designs. They should be able to let you know what they can and can't accomplish in your budget. I do want to say that although the MC2 pieces are kinda astronomical, there is something really special about them that probably isn't 100% duplicable, but that doesn't mean that you're not going to get something really beautiful and high quality that will thrill you and your girlfriend.

I heard that JbEG already has quite a few CADs of variations on the Lily that they can show you you. Perhaps you'll fall in love with one of the variations and run with it. This idea (which I also had a while back...tee hee) seems really promising! I agree that pear side stones would look great - What about something like the Lily in gold with no pave with bezel-set pears in between the spilts of the shank?

One more lead - I have been admiring RadiantQuest's asscher three stone ring from Scott Schreiber, http://www.flickr.com/people/two_claws_jewelry/ - he seems to do a lot by hand-- carving (not CAD) and engraving), and while he has his own style, he seems to be able to accomplish a variety of custom looks. You might want want to look into him as well. Make sure you click around, because although you won't see anything that has the MC2 vibe the way the Lily does, I think you'll find that he seems like a very talented goldsmith, and part of me prefers the traditional handwork and level of detail. My guess is that someone like him definitely won't want to make a knock off of the MC2 (not to say that JbEG or Greenlake would!) but would probably also be able to help you come up with something with that feel that is totally unique.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Another thing to remember, and this is something that's hard for at least me, is that these photographs are a gagillion times larger than the real deal, and so all the little details are magnified and way more noticeable than they would be in real life. This doesn't mean that you'll be happy with some that's off-kilter, just that things almost always look better in person than they do in photographs. For example, Chrono recently go an awesome custom setting from Whiteflash for her spess, and imho (and I think hers as well!) it looked downright clunky in photographs and spectacular and elegant in her photos, probably even moreso in real life:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-does-it-again-5-ct-spess-reset.143433/

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291605380|2788473 said:

Hey iLander, thanks for the suggestion! I'll give Daniel M a call to see what he can do.

I second the DanielM suggestion. If I were in the market for a custom engagement ring setting I would totally consider them. You can't call though but start a convo with pictures of what you like on Etsy with him and Caren to get the ball rolling on a quote.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had a lovely experience with daniel M and adore my tourmaline pendant from him. That being said, I think compared to some of my other hand made jewelery, it's a little less finished.

My favorite hand-made jeweler is Sally at Hearts of Water, however she's in Thailand and I doubt you'd want to risk shipping that beautiful sapphire overseas!

I think JBEG is a great suggestion, I really love her work! I've never seen Greenlake in person but that too sounds like it would be fantastic!

I'm really looking forward to what you end up with!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291605516|2788475 said:
I actually forgot to ask. :oops:

I just shot my local jeweler an email to ask, though. In one of my photos, I can see part of the tag which says "2390", so maybe that's the price? Don't quote me on that until I confirm it, though.

$2300 for platinum

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

You're awesome Steve. Thank you.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

Frekechild,

I just wanted to say that I went to see the MaeVona Poppy at a local jeweler's and I really loved it. I only visited it for a second, but I thought it popped!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

kelpie|1291605645|2788477 said:
SteveNeedsARing|1291479979|2787255 said:
So who should I look at for this project? JBEG and GL? Any others?
Did you ever check out Huntcountry.com near Leesburg? They are so good at custom and colored stones and seriously is probably like 20% of what an MC2 costs for comparable quality but cast not forged. Tiny Jewel Box in Dupont is also great but $$$, they are the ones that carry MC2 (and it is amazing in person!). I really have to caution you against Quest, in addition to many other things they did wrong like hang bezel drops culet out from my earrings, they actually scratched and chipped the colored stones I had carefully sourced myself but sent them to me anyway like they didn't notice all the things wrong. I would never ever go back to them. Even when I had them fix it, they still effed it up a second time.

Thanks for the recommendation! I looked over the rings on their website a while ago, and nothing really caught my eye. However, my tastes have changed a bit since I last checked them out, so I really ought to take another look cause they definitely do more unique styles. In terms of being convenient for a local visit, though, I looked them up on a map and they're about as far away from me as Baltimore. Which is about a 1+ hour drive, so, doable with some planning but not super convenient.

I could also use them for custom work, too. I'm thinking that once I prepare my email describing what I'm looking for, and what I like about each of the "reference" photos I include, that it will be pretty easy to reuse that for other jewelers; e.g. GreenLake, Etsy and Hunt Cty.

BTW, that's good info about Quest. I'm not seriously considering them for custom work, but that's where I went to view the MaeVona Poppy. They seemed nice enough, but I feel more comfortable going with a jeweler that other people can recommend (like the ones mentioned in this thread) for a custom project.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

velouriaL|1291618642|2788635 said:
Another thing to remember, and this is something that's hard for at least me, is that these photographs are a gagillion times larger than the real deal, and so all the little details are magnified and way more noticeable than they would be in real life. This doesn't mean that you'll be happy with some that's off-kilter, just that things almost always look better in person than they do in photographs. For example, Chrono recently go an awesome custom setting from Whiteflash for her spess, and imho (and I think hers as well!) it looked downright clunky in photographs and spectacular and elegant in her photos, probably even moreso in real life:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-does-it-again-5-ct-spess-reset.143433/

Yeah, that's something I really noticed with the MaeVona Poppy; it looked like just the right amount of detail in photos, but when I saw it in person it was too plain for me. So I'm thinking I need to err on the side of too clunky or large, cause everything will be smaller and more subtle in person. I like her ring a LOT better in her photos than in Whiteflash's closeups, because the texture of the pave is less noticeable IRL.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

What do you guys think about these Mc&Mc designs? I've been going through some more of their rings, to put together a "sample portfolio" to send to Erica as examples of what I'm looking for. And I found these beauties...

This one replaces the plain flowers with diamonds (pave?)

This one sticks a decent sized (pear? teardrop?) side stone in between the gold leaves. This should be almost exactly what I'm looking for, but for some reason it doesn't look exactly right to my eye. Probably another situation where it would look better in person, though.

I don't like the tiny diamond flower petals sticking out of the gold leaves, but I LOVE how the sides are done; almost looks like a butterfly, in platinum.

8085b.sized.jpg

MCII_honey_ear_3_rings_rev_163_rev3.sized.jpg

MCII_honey_ear_3_rings_rev_123_rev3.sized.jpg

82205MCII_misc_37.sized.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think those are really beautiful...jealous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results