shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

numero uno is the winner in my book. elegant. not likely to catch on things.

MoZo

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

So, I took another look at the rings on Hunt County's website, and I found a couple that I like. Which is ironic, because when I looked 2-34 months ago, I decided that they were not AT ALL what I was looking for... too much gold, too artsy. Funny how things change...

Here are the 2 rings that I like best:

Swap the diamond and sapphires; too bad the side stones aren't a more interesting shape, other than round

Not crazy about the bezel, and wish the side stones were bigger, but still a nice design

2857[1].jpg

2885[1].jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

in my usual blunt but very honest way i'm going to say i don't like either of them. they don't seem elegant enough, especially considering some of the others you've considered. but that's just me, i'm sure.

if it were for me i'd be more inclined towards the 2nd one if these were my only choices. but in all honesty, i'd not be happy with either of them.

MoZo

ps i am very sorry if i've hurt your feelings, steve. but they're too busy w/o the advantage of adding something attractive. the 2nd one could be "fixed"...i do like the partial bezel but do not like the shank work. ultimately, this e-ring has to suit your girlfriend and then you. while we may have opinions, we're not the ones who are going to receive it.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

movie zombie|1291857138|2791607 said:
in my usual blunt but very honest way i'm going to say i don't like either of them. they don't seem elegant enough, especially considering some of the others you've considered. but that's just me, i'm sure.

if it were for me i'd be more inclined towards the 2nd one if these were my only choices. but in all honesty, i'd not be happy with either of them.

MoZo

ps i am very sorry if i've hurt your feelings, steve. but they're too busy w/o the advantage of adding something attractive. the 2nd one could be "fixed"...i do like the partial bezel but do not like the shank work. ultimately, this e-ring has to suit your girlfriend and then you. while we may have opinions, we're not the ones who are going to receive it.

Ha ha, no, I really appreciate your honesty MoZo! :D

Now that I've narrowed down a little what my gf wants, and established a basis for comparison of the Mc&Mc rings (and some GL ones too), it's easy to rule out new designs. You just have to decide if they're better, or on par, with what I've already set my sights on. If not, time to move on!!

septemberbaby

Rough_Rock

I also agree: I'm not particularly fond of the two most recent rings.

However, those Mc&Mc rings are beautiful!!!!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I do like the the bezel set pears in #2. I think you should send the picture along with the others for inspiration for how incorporate sidestones. I think the Lily without pave with pears like that in the split of the shank would be gorrrgeous.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Movie- I don't like either of those designs. I can't put my finger on what exactly I don't like about them- they are just generally unappealing to me. I'm not sure why you would even consider them after seeing some of your other opinions you have posted that you like. My vote is to rule this out immediately.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

....And speaking of he bezel-set pears + Lily, I'm imagining the pear as kind of a third petal... It could go in the middle or you could do one on either side, almost like the MaeVona... So, Hunt County Pears + MaeVona + Lily + Mc2

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned White Flash for CAD design and side diamonds. They are another very well-loved vendor 'round here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe it's the "holes" in the shank that turn me off on both rings. Then again, the ring isn't for me, so who's to say she won't love it.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I heard back from Erica; here is what she had to say:
Beautiful inspiration pieces! I love MC2! Your sapphire is also gorgeous!

Your description reminds me of one of my all time favorite gemstone ring designs by 23rd street, which is not really engagement-y, lol, but I just wanted you to know that I share your taste (our Lily setting was initially inspired by the MC2 rings you linked, but of course it then evolved into something else entirely, lol).

http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx

Anyway, back to your ring. What about combining MC2 rings 1 and 2? The design of ring 2 (with pear diamond sides), but with single claws (I would recommend single claws so that your sapphire is center stage without too much metal - it's a cleaner look) and in rich 18k yellow gold for the shank and petals, but with a platinum basket and prongs? We'd also have to figure out what type of basket design you like best - MC2 does a few different types with their petal shanks.
Unfortunately, the link she provided just forwards to their home page, but I'll ask her which item # she's referring to. (Or I can probably guess, by looking through them.)

"MC2 rings 1 and 2" that she mentioned are the 2 Mc&Mc rings that we've been discussing on here. #1 is the gold band with diamond shanks and green stone, and #2 is the platinum band with pear side stones and blue center stone.

What do you think about her proposal? Do you think it would look weird to have a YG band with a platinum basket and prongs?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

SteveNeedsARing|1291855516|2791566 said:
So, I took another look at the rings on Hunt County's website, and I found a couple that I like. Which is ironic, because when I looked 2-34 months ago, I decided that they were not AT ALL what I was looking for... too much gold, too artsy. Funny how things change...

Here are the 2 rings that I like best:

Swap the diamond and sapphires; too bad the side stones aren't a more interesting shape, other than round

Not crazy about the bezel, and wish the side stones were bigger, but still a nice design

Well, if you know what you want they can make it. Here is my new custom ring from them I picked up last night, I'm showing you because the metal work is pretty austere vice what's on their website because they know my tastes. The stones were mine, but they cut do cut their own and do an excellent job of it. Finding a precision lapidary and goldsmith in the same place is a rare deal!

garn1.jpg

garn2.jpg

garn3.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kelpie, your ring turned out beautifully! I took a good look at their website after seeing your asscher pink tourmaline ring and their work is really impressive! I'm hoping to send them one of my colored stones sometime in 2011.

I hope you start a thread on this ring!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kelpie, that green is amazing! :love:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is probably very different from what you had in mind Steve, but I'll post it here anyway because I think it's just beautiful. It's from Hunt country, as well.

13922.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Steve, many colored stone projects have more than 1 colored metal. As you can kind of tell from the pictures of Kelpie's BIG HONKIN' ASSCHER, she has rose gold and white gold in that piece. Tourmaline_Lover's newest spinel ring (hot pink) has yellow gold and white gold. Its pretty common around here, and it just adds another dimension of detail to your beloved's ring. I cannot wait to see whatever it is you come up with!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

baby nurse|1292108203|2794480 said:
Kelpie, your ring turned out beautifully! I took a good look at their website after seeing your asscher pink tourmaline ring and their work is really impressive! I'm hoping to send them one of my colored stones sometime in 2011.

I hope you start a thread on this ring!
Thank you BabyNurse and Packrat! The green is way brighter irl. I'm kind of too annoyed at the way this board's been managed lately to want to contribute a new thread right now but you saw it all here! Give them a chance and you'll be glad you did, they told me they've been getting tons of calls from people who saw my asscher on pricescope and that everyone has got to have double claw prongs now! :lol:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I *personally* do not care for two-tone rings, most of the time. But, many people like them, especially if they like their metal colors to all match-- meaning that a two-tone ring "goes" with everything-- which I don't care about. So, from many angles, it's a personal thing. Your GF may have a strong feeling about it, so you may want to find a way to sneakily ask her? Erica is probably suggesting this because platinum is stronger and more secure for a prong setting, but it's kinda the buttery yellow gold that gives the MC2 rings their oomph.

I think Erica's suggestion sounds very cool and knows what you're trying to get at and is asking the right questions to make sure you get it.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

I heard back from Erica! Here is what she said:
In order to proceed, I would write up a work order for you to sign and return to me along with a deposit of 50%, and your stone. Fabrication time is 2-3 weeks from final CADs.

Do you have an idea of what size pears you'd like? And what specs? Would you prefer that we source the pears or would you like to provide them? Once I know I can send you a firm price quote and, if you wish to move forward, we can go from there!
I'm not really sure what to tell her for the pears, since the size should just be whatever looks right next to my sapphire. And I don't know anything about diamond specs! :( But I definitely want her to source the side stones, rather than having to deal with it myself, right?

As for moving forward with a 50% deposit, does that mean I have to stop working with other jewelers now, since money is changing hands? I was kind of looking forward to seeing what Green Lake came up with. :(

Here is the ring from 23rd St Jewelers that she was referring to:

23rd St Jewelers.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

steve, i actually LIKE that setting. i do question though whether your sapphire is large enough for the wrap over the stone.

MoZo

ps i'm keeping a copy of that setting for future personal reference......

eta: $ has changed hands. you are in effect making a deposit so that work can proceed towards your chosen deadline. indicates you've committed to one designer proceeding. and yes i'd have that person source your other stones. i wouldn't put down $ as a deposit if i was still curious about another designer. you, my friend, i think are now committed to a design! or out some $........if you change and go with a different designer.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Steve!
Covering up that gorgeous sapphire you spent so much time finding!
(Just ignore me, but Waaaah! Not a fan!)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

ooo~Shiney!|1292378989|2797139 said:
Oh Steve!
Covering up that gorgeous sapphire you spent so much time finding!
(Just ignore me, but Waaaah! Not a fan!)

if it was a larger stone it would make more sense.........of course, it would be better protected. perhaps we should be thinking prong replacement?!

again, i really do like the setting but.....

MoZo

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I like that setting too, MZ, but for it to work, you could use a verylargestone, don't need super quality.
The point of interest here is the setting, not the beautiful, gorgeous, to-die-for-color with outstanding-cut
SAPPHIRE that you spent time and MONEY (re-imbursing for the chip culet concave cut saph?) finding......
Waaaaaaaaaaah!

That's like an agate or a turquoise setting, to my eye.....

Please don't let me rain on anyone's parade.

pixies

Shiny_Rock

I don't think she's suggesting to cover up the stone, I think she was probably talking about the shank design being similar. I could be wrong though.

To steveneedsaring: I think cads will help you decide what size side stones to go with because you'll get a better feel for proportion. Maybe you can see what they would think work best initially for the cads and if the proportion seems off you can decide to go bigger or smaller. I was kind of clueless about what my ring would look like until it got to the cad stage. I couldn't decide if I wanted a double bezel or single initially so I just asked Erica to pick whatever she thought would look best for the first round and if I didn't like it we could try it the other way. Everything was perfect for me on the first round. However, you can continue to tweak until you get it right as long as you are not in a time crunch.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

pixies|1292380743|2797178 said:
I don't think she's suggesting to cover up the stone, I think she was probably talking about the shank design being similar. I could be wrong though.

Praying.......

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Yeah.... I don't think Ericawas suggesting doing the wrap, more like suggesting additional inspiration for a pear sides/split shank/floweriness, but note that she quickly shifts gears back the MC2 looks... Although that piece is supercool!!

Sounds like JbEG isn't going to go too much farther into designing CADs and stuff before she has a commitment from you. I think that's pretty normal. Perhaps she'd be willing to show you additional Lily variation CADs she's already worked up as examples? Maybe not, but it's worth asking.

I anticipate that Greenlake will probably be the same. I think you should find out what Greenlake has to say, and make a decision on who to go with. You're probably going have to commit to one or the other based on the quote, previous work and other resources, and your feeling from the emails. THEN comes the process of really designing and fine-tuning and approving CADs, then fabrication.

Unfortunately, it's not like architecture, where firms make those detailed tiny models just for the pitch... ;-)

I do think it's fair to ask JbEG/Greenlake/whomever to suggest proportions of side stones and to price them at a few different levels of quality. You can probably price check to make sure you're getting a good deal. It's probably best to have them source them, though.

I think you're probably in good hands either way. Ask TONS of question of both, then go for it!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1292376741|2797089 said:
i wouldn't put down $ as a deposit if i was still curious about another designer. you, my friend, i think are now committed to a design! or out some $........if you change and go with a different designer.

Agree, but I do think that it's more that you'd be committing to a DESIGNER not a DESIGN. After you commit to whomever, they will noodle around the design with you until they get it right, so you should feel comfortable that you're going with someone who will help you realize something you like. That's the point of this stage, really, to feel like you have someone you're on the same page with in terms of design, working relationship and budget. The next stage is really committing to a design.

pixies

Shiny_Rock

Ditto above comment. I think either designer could execute this ring. Since you won't get CADs before putting down a deposit, I'd just pick the designer you seem to click with more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results