shape
carat
color
clarity

Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!!!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Got a great JW sapphire, let's find the perfect setting!

I am a PhD student with very little disposable income, so I WELCOME-- nay, LOVE-- threads like this that let me "work" on a project and help someone else spend their money. Similarly, when my friends who don't know anything about jewelry even mention getting engaged, I get excited about helping them. I have a feeling that many PSers are like me, otherwise this thread wouldn't have so many responses.

Plus these threads have an afterlife, and Steve's whole process will be a great resource for anyone who has questions about sapphires, JW, JBeG, MC2, Greenlake, etc.

So, yeah, please keep posting, Steve. I can't wait to watch the design process unfold.

Distracted by that sparkly, huh? My, how you've grown!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I"m so excited for you! Sounds like things are coming along, and I can't wait to see where the design process takes you!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of the things that I have been amazed with in this thread is the committed interest and generous willingness of all the PSers to give of their time and expertise to help Steve in his search. Of course I applaud that and know that you all will continue to be there in the same loving, generous way for me and others in the future. That is what makes this not only an educational forum but a community. One of the ways that many get their questions answered here is by reading and participating in other threads; there are many times I have been on the verge of asking a question, and instead either searched for an answer, or found my answer in another ongoing thread. I guess my point is that I have found that I get as much relevant-to-me information from other threads as I do from my own, and when I do, I regularly respond and participate because I believe it makes our community stronger. I would encourage Steve to try this approach as well; not to replace your hard work here, but as a way to strengthen our community. Not to put words in her mouth, but I believe this is all Ilander was saying...

Respectfully,

-Minou

iLander

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux|1292865190|2801804 said:
One of the things that I have been amazed with in this thread is the committed interest and generous willingness of all the PSers to give of their time and expertise to help Steve in his search. Of course I applaud that and know that you all will continue to be there in the same loving, generous way for me and others in the future. That is what makes this not only an educational forum but a community. One of the ways that many get their questions answered here is by reading and participating in other threads; there are many times I have been on the verge of asking a question, and instead either searched for an answer, or found my answer in another ongoing thread. I guess my point is that I have found that I get as much relevant-to-me information from other threads as I do from my own, and when I do, I regularly respond and participate because I believe it makes our community stronger. I would encourage Steve to try this approach as well; not to replace your hard work here, but as a way to strengthen our community. Not to put words in her mouth, but I believe this is all Ilander was saying...

Respectfully,

-Minou

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I was saying, Minou.

And I wasn't saying Steve should stop this thread, he should continue it as long as he wants.

This is my horoscope for today:
"However, take special care in your communications now, as you can too easily be misunderstood."

I obviously should have paid more attention to it :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

No offense to Steve (Which is quite the double edged sword when you say that....) but how do you expect him to respond to threads? "Hey I got my JW sapphire and it's pretty too!" or "I love the aesthetic of Mc2, but find them a bit too pricey, I'm leaning towards Greenlake and JbEG for something custom." How often do those topics come up? What is he going to do, run around to all of the SMTB posts and say "Oh that's beautiful!"x1,000?

That is what his knowledge base is, so that's what he can contribute to the community. Perhaps I'm *alone* here, but without people to help, what would all of the helpers do?

There are many posters here who do not contribute to other threads besides their own. That does not mean that they are less of a part of the community! Heck, I'm one of the "helpees" right now because I'm pretty much only posting in my own threads! And that has been going on for quite a while now Are you going to string me up by my toes?

It's about respect, people. And making smarmy responses to people asking for help isn't helpful. Nor is it in the spirit of PS. Plus, how are you going to inspire people to stick around and HELP people if you're too busy concentrating on what people aren't doing?!

PS is all about altruism. Or it used to be.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1292897694|2802356 said:
No offense to Steve (Which is quite the double edged sword when you say that....) but how do you expect him to respond to threads? "Hey I got my JW sapphire and it's pretty too!" or "I love the aesthetic of Mc2, but find them a bit too pricey, I'm leaning towards Greenlake and JbEG for something custom." How often do those topics come up? What is he going to do, run around to all of the SMTB posts and say "Oh that's beautiful!"x1,000?

That is what his knowledge base is, so that's what he can contribute to the community. Perhaps I'm *alone* here, but without people to help, what would all of the helpers do?

Exactly. Ilander, have you considered that Steve may be someone who speaks only when he has something substantive to say?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

One of the things I had to get used to when I started heavy into posting boards 10 years ago (and I had posted only occasionally in a few years previous to that) is that the internet is kind of an imperious medium. I learned in spite of my expectations and desires that people on the internet had (and have) an unwritten rule that they can post or not post whenever and in whatever thread they want or not.

I always found this a little frustrating personally but that's the way it is works. Think about it. Any one of us could simply turn off the computer and never post another post again, never saying good bye, never being heard from again, and that would be perfectly acceptable on the internet. It's different than normal social interactions in this regard.

So, even though I have sometimes had a difficult time making rhyme or reason as to when people decided to interact with me or how (or at all), this aspect of the internet is something I've learned to expect. It's the nature of the beast, if you will. I love your style, iLander and I enjoy your posts! But I have to agree with Harriet on this.

I can't have any expectations of someone, especially someone with only about 100 posts that they'll post in any particular threads. I mean some people I've known on the internet for years baffle me as to why they post aggressively when they shouldn't and some baffle me with their unyielding reticence. So to me, if Steve is following up in this thread and being polite, I might wish for him to participate more, but I don't think that he's being ungrateful by not posting in other threads.

You can meet 100 million people on the internet. It's impossible to figure them all out. You and I are kind of social gadflies. Some people just aren't like that.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

I think Steve's thread is interesting and I am getting lots of good advice just from reading everyone's comments.
I have actually enjoyed posting on his threads a time or two, too! :sun:
I think Steve came here because he really really wanted help, and he found our little community
and he is kindly getting lots of great advice, that he really seems to appreciate because he
really really seems to want to GET THIS VERY IMPORTANT THING RIGHT for his fiance....
and she isn't helping.
It means a lot to him, I can tell.
Where else will he go?
Besides, maybe he reads other ppls threads too.
You never know!

Now, in my own case, I love going through PS threads and occasionally posting "O that's beautiful" x 1000
because that's about all I feel I can contribute at this point.

I am still a learner, and I also haven't mastered the art of photographing and posting pics of my
tiny collection..... so I don't.

BUT, I REALLY REALLY enjoy all the frequent posters and what they have to say!
As well as the not-so-frequent.
And there are message boards that I go to where I only lurk, and some I was
active with for awhile and then just faded away....
That's how it goes!

Merry Christmas Everyone!
And a very Gemmy New Year! :)) :)) :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harriet, Imdanny, and OOO-Shiney! I really appreciate the spirit with which you write - true to the community, you are thoughtful and kind in your comments and I have learned from you. OOO-Shiney, you make a really good point: while I frequent this forum and comment on great stones and settings of others, I have posted no pictures. Folks have made gentle comments about it, but has it made me rush out to acquire a camera? No. So, in essence, I'm just like Steve (except that he posts photos!) and I really like the way you point it out.

I also want to point out that iLander apologized, acknowledged everyone's concerns, and made a joke about her horoscope and miscommunication. Perhaps it should be left there.

Finally, I want to say that I am a sapphire nut, and will probably devote the rest of my life to searching for the perfect blue, the perfect cut, the perfect sparkle, no matter how many I may already own :naughty: . I love the color of yours, Steve, and admit that I am impatient and want you to propose already!!! Done.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a blue sapphire!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i remember some years ago the complaint was why are people posting who have not bought a stone recently and/or involved in a project........

MoZo

septemberbaby

Rough_Rock

I don't really post much on here, so it's only logical that I'm biased toward Steve. My perspective is that by starting a thread about his engagement ring journey, he's making a contribution to the message board. And he continues to include people by periodically providing updates. People can contribute in many different ways, and there will be someone looking for a sapphire engagement ring in the future who will benefit from this thread.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not really the setting whiz that so many other CSers are around here, but I have been just absolutely entranced with this thread.

Steve, I simply can't wait for your final vision to be completed and to see how your beloved reacts to her ring. I am here, lurking, because the outcome of this incredibly informative thread will probably give me chills. Love, love, LOVE how much effort you're putting into this ring.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Wow, quite the thread we've got going here!! :)

To iLander's point -- sure, I can add my 2 cents to some other folks' projects. Once JbEG (or GreenLake) finishes the CAD, it'll be weeks of waiting before she's done; so I should have some spare time to contribute outside this thread. ;-)

So, back to my fast approaching decision point between Erica (JbEG) and Shelly (Green Lake); I received the following quote and pics from Erica:

Attached is a simple rendering of .32ctw (0.16ct each) pear sides in proportion to your center stone. This is the size I would recommend, but depending on the look you are envisioning, we could go larger or smaller. These pears would be 5mm x 3mm each, F/G color, VS clarity, very well cut. I think this is a great size to accent your sapphire, without taking away from it.

Pricing for the setting we discussed, with plain "petals" and basket, two tone metal (rich 18k yellow gold shank with platinum basket), including the pears which would be bezel set in among the "petals", would be $2,750. This includes detailed photo-realistic CAD renderings to scale for your center stone, and overnight insured shipping of the finished ring to you.

Pricing would go up a little if you opt for a pave shank or basket. Since your design isn't yet finalized I thought I'd quote you based on what we discussed - the shank design of MC2 ring #2 with a simple platinum single claw basket. Adding pave to the basket would be pretty! Do you have any MC2 side views you like for basket design? I've attached a pic so that we know we're talking about the same inspiration piece!
Here are her attached pics:

41206MCII_08.sized_0.jpg

Whattaya think? Does that seem like a reasonable size, specs and price for the diamond pears? I also think maybe she's forgotten the part about the diamond bands around the shank at the base of the petals (from the green sapphire MC2 ring), unless you think that's too much and I should just leave it off.

And what about basket design? Do you think I should suggest something like either of these?

And once again, thank you to everyone for your input into my project; I realize that advice is free, but you guys have really made this ring come together for me! Without your help and guidance, this project probably would have ended up very... differently. :D

SH&PS - a.jpg

SH&PS - b.jpg

82205MCII_misc_37.sized.jpg

GreenSide.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank goodness you came to PS. GAH!!!! :naughty:

I like the green sapphire's side. That gets my vote!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know how active your girl is, but she doesn't strike me as somebody who necessarily is very conscious of wearing her jewelry. If you think she'll like wear the ring rain or shine, I might shy away from pave or small side stones that might get knocked out over time.

I myself tend to be one of those girls, I am constantly banging my hand up against things, lol. This is why I love bezels and why my Ering is a simple solitaire. When I wear my tsavorite ring, I only wear it to more formal occasions or days that are full of meetings where I know I"m not going to be doing much. Even so, I can't tell you how many times I'm smacked it into something and then held my breath until I got it under a loupe and realized I haven't done it any damage!

pixies

Shiny_Rock

I think the butterfly basket design may be too much for a 6.4mm stone... Shrunk down to scale I don't know how it'd look. I prefer the other basket design. My JbEG ring has a 6.53mm round stone for the center and I was afraid of doing any detail in the profile area since all their other rings had much larger center stones but they did a good job with the proportions. I don't have any pave in my profile though, just metal work. I'd just see what they suggest.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

all i know is i like the picture of the blue sapphire setting with the side pears...the picture right after the pics of the stones by themselves.

MoZo

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie|1292997941|2803505 said:
all i know is i like the picture of the blue sapphire setting with the side pears...the picture right after the pics of the stones by themselves.

MoZo

Ditto! That one is really calling to me as well.

Steve, this thread has been so interesting - I'm fascinated to see your final product!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1292997941|2803505 said:

MoZo

I know, me too....
I just wish I could see how these actually look on someone's hand.
Did anyone already post a pic like that?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

The side pears look a tiny bit too small to me. Also, the proportion is off: the ring you're showing with the blue sapphire has pears that are fatter toward the blue stone. The CAD is showing more elongated pears. I think the pears need to be larger; if this is a 6mm stone, then those pears are only about 2.5 mm at their widest point. That's pretty tiny, and once they're bezeled, won't they get tinier? But mostly I don't like the elongated cut, I would prefer a fatter pear, with the widest point closer to the bottom of the stone.

IMHO . . .

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

first picture of the pears from a top down view show the pears as appearing fatter.

i do think iLander has a point: make sure those pears are fat at the wide end.

MoZo

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock

I think the pears seem fatter in the top view because they are angled down, as you can see in the side view, I'm assuming its about the angle they could be set considering the ring size.

I really like the proportion, actually.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

iLander|1293028177|2803667 said:
The side pears look a tiny bit too small to me. Also, the proportion is off: the ring you're showing with the blue sapphire has pears that are fatter toward the blue stone. The CAD is showing more elongated pears. I think the pears need to be larger; if this is a 6mm stone, then those pears are only about 2.5 mm at their widest point. That's pretty tiny, and once they're bezeled, won't they get tinier? But mostly I don't like the elongated cut, I would prefer a fatter pear, with the widest point closer to the bottom of the stone.

IMHO . . .

The pairs are 3mm wide, according to Erica, and my sapphire is 6.4mm wide. I think I agree with you; I'd like to see what the pears would look like a bit fatter. Do you think I should also ask for a quote with higher quality diamonds, or is "F/G color, VS clarity, very well cut" good enough for my purposes?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

admittedly i'm not a diamond person, but i think given that your pears are side stones and your sapphire is the STAR of the show, you've chose well for the quality of the diamonds.

MoZo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

F VS and very well cut seems like a good balance for the sapphire. Just make sure the pears exhibit no bow ties and you are good to go. I also prefer the pears to be a little fatter, perhaps 4 mm?

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

I'm not sold on fatter pears. The view from the side does make them look a little thin but the angle from the top looks perfect because of the angle the pears will be set.

Freaking LOVE the setting you're using as inspiration. Dying to see the final product!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i think this too but just want to make sure he doesn't go thinner!

its going to be a beauty.

MoZo

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Check this out! I just heard from Shelly at Green Lake:

I have to tell you that it's been really tough coming up with designs that incorporate elements from the inspirational images that won't end up looking like McTeigue & McClelland made the ring, which would infringe on their copyright.

We can't do the fluted design at all--that's their signature element. We can do 2 tone metals, and a similar head, BUT we can't combine all the elements (ex. 2 tone AND diamonds on head AND bands around the shank).

I'm posting some conceptual sketches. Let me know if anything looks interesting to you...

kingsland120101223111757.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is one of the most fun threads ever, for me anyway! :appl: It's so fun to be a part of the process and see all the ideas, I just love it.

Need to spend some more time looking at the latest and greatest from Greenlake tho..when I first looked at it I kept going "Ohh do this, no wait, I like this instead..ooo nooo do this one here!" :loopy:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Can the jeweler give you an idea of how this is going to look on 4.5 size finger?

I was trying to draw up a quick idea on the side pears, but I couldn't come up with the width of the finger.

My ring size is 7 and with a caliper my finger is 14mm across. Is there a correlation? Does anyone know for sure?

What is the width of a 4.5 size finger?

Or was finger coverage already discussed?

I like A4, a girl can't have too many diamonds!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results